Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Update concerning DDoS attack and Downtime. Updated 18:20 CET February 20th

DDosL.jpg

Hello everyone.

Unfortunately, a smooth launch was too much to ask for.

As you all probably know by now, we were hit with a DDoS attack some hours after the launch of Update 1.2.

As annoying as this may be, we are taking steps to turn this to everyones advantage.

I announced earlier that we were already looking at migrating the hosting of Wurm.

When the attack forced us offline, we went straight ahead and pushed for this to happen as soon as possible.

And as we were already close to finishing the tests and deal, we are confident that Wurm shall be running on the new servers within a day.

The upside of this is that the new servers would mean better overall performance, capacity and stability for Wurm.

We will also be getting better downtime response.

No premium time will be lost and the game whilst down is frozen in time so your deeds are safe.

Though still unclear regarding status of a rollback, we have backups on the data from just after the attack and from earlier in the day.

So a rollback, if any, should not present anything but a minor change in progression.

**Updated Information 20:00 CET February 19th**

As for knowing more around 20:00 CET as previously mentioned.

We can only say that everything is progressing as well as can be expected.
If anyone saw servers seemingly online it is only for a controlled shut down of the old ones.
Going online with the new servers will take some more time.

As we where just pulled, not shut down, the servers were going over night.

When we now started to do a controlled shut down, some players got twitter messages concerning deeds and titles.

But it is now frozen and no further time will be added.

**Updated Information 23:20 CET February 19th**

I can now confirm the servers will not be online until earliest some time tomorrow.

It is in the hands of the new Host now.

**Updated Information 10:35 CET February 20th**

Server devs are currently configuring the new servers. Things are looking good, but we do not have a new ETA at this time. 

**Updated Information 18:20 CET February 20th**
NowLiveS.jpg

On a more personal note, I would like to thank our great community for showing your support!

Makes us gladly go that extra mile to get things up and running even better then before.

Wurm shall rise again!

Edited by RedBaron_Johan
added update 10:35
  • Like 112

a day  how long is that i swear im joones real bad i need to play so so bad never kjnew how addicted i was until i couldnt poay i havent slept sice it went down plaese hurry

• Like 10

Tnx for update about status.

its good to know you remember about informing us about progress.

It makes waiting less pain.

Good luck.

• Like 1

It's a shame, I just got into this game and it goes down.

Well, thanks for keeping us updated, and I look forward to it coming back up!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your hard work guys.

and i reitterate a previous comment i made...

I have to say, the most likely causes of an attack are 1) disgruntled banned player. or 2) feeble attepts to stock up on SB for the wagon builds.

As such, in case it's #2 i Seriously think that NO SB should be awarded for this downtime cos it'll just incite more attacks.

just extend premiums and upkeep. this is the one occasion where i feel SB reimbursment would be counter-productive.

• Like 2

I was so much in need of crafting something, i actually logged into minecraft...

• Like 2

So this sounds like we are down for another day while you get things sorted..to the test server, lol

Thanks for the update.  

Thanks for the offical responses and keeping everyone posted. It's awesome that this attack is being turned into something positive. Let's hope the new servers are all we wanted :)

Thanks for all the updates RedBaron_Johan! 

I understand that there is just so many people that can solve the issue and now all it takes is time to solve things. Just doing it right the first time is the key to it all!

I will have to agree with JDBooker that NO SLEEP BONUS SHOULD BE GIVEN to any players. I mean, we are all penalized the same way and if the attacks are due to free SB, it should be thought against this. We should have the opportunity to add some maintenance to our deeds with the downtime instead. I think this is the only way it will be a win-win situation for everyone… Except for the new nomads rolling away with their wagons :P

• Like 1

Thanks for all your hard work guys.

and i reitterate a previous comment i made...

I have to say, the most likely causes of an attack are 1) disgruntled banned player. or 2) feeble attepts to stock up on SB for the wagon builds.

As such, in case it's #2 i Seriously think that NO SB should be awarded for this downtime cos it'll just incite more attacks.

just extend premiums and upkeep. this is the one occasion where i feel SB reimbursment would be counter-productive.

#2 seems highly unlikely, as it wouldn't push anyone far enough to actually DDoS Wurm, let alone for this length of time.  

Here's what I'm thinking: it's either a disgruntled ex-player (not necessarily banned, just gone) or it's a form of protection racket trying to force Rolf's hand because he wouldn't pay up.  Of course, banned players who were known to sell game hacks would be prime suspects for the former, as someone who sells game hacks for money would be more likely to have the ability and desire to DDoS than someone who merely macros or buys those hacks.  As for the latter, there's an easy way to tell one way or the other regarding whether that's the cause, since it necessarily comes with a demand for money from whoever's responsible.  We don't know whether this occurred, but we can assume from Rolf asking for information on whoever did it that it's probably not that.  

So I'd be looking into the banned players list and list off each one who sold game hacks, then investigate each one starting from the most recent ban.  

Edited by Tathar

rollback to before the attack plox.. cause the lag cause me to die and stranded... D: 

• Like 3

I for one am glad that Rolf and the team decided to turn this unfortunate attack into an opportunity to address the server and hosting issues.  Now is the perfect time for it and I do not mind waiting for the migration no matter how long it takes.

I only ask that nothing be turned on until everything is working as it should so we do not get any false starts.  Anything that is great is worth waiting for,

• Like 6

I had to wait 2 weeks to play EQ II when Sony had their PS network hacked.

Maybe the new hosting has room for a new server? (have to try, lol)

• Like 7

Thank you and the rest of the team for keeping us so well informed of what's going on, Johan.  Makes a world of difference.

• Like 6

Well done moving.. Glad this is happening, that other host was useless.

• Like 1

Well, this sucks. I mean, being DDoS'ed sucks. no way around that... but the fact that it accelerated us getting a better game, makes it good. 

I'll never be glad that there's some sore loser who feels the need to DDoS us for whatever reason, but I'm glad we have a competent dev team who keeps communicating with us. Makes everything easier. 

Thanks for the update.  Much appreciated.

My prediction on first login (reboots not withstanding): Friday morning 9am EST.

"The upside of this is that the new servers would mean better overall performance, capacity and stability for Wurm."

Oh noes! new,better and stronger server means less issues?... We will never gonna see 5h of free sleep bonuses again :(

Just kidding, thanks for the update and best wishes on moving.