Sign in to follow this  
Ink

Dear DDOS Attacker

You sir, are an arse.

I am a recent convert to Wurm and on the whole, have been thoroughly enjoying my experience.  As I have only been playing a few months, I don't have any 'history' with the game, I cannot claim to have been here since beta and I do not have longevity as yet.  What I do have, is an enthusiasm and enjoyment, for an interesting and challenging game and little patience for tantrums such as you have displayed.

I cannot prove that you are the person who has been spamming GL lately, although there is ample implication on the forum, given that the link posted by the spammer is some "wurm macro hacker site" as stated in this topic  (page 3) seems to answer a few questions.  I cannot speak to your motive or to what you hoped to achieve.  I can only speak from my own experience and this reeks of a teens tanty when his toys are taken away.  I know tantrums, I have some teens and the arrogance of attacking so soon after a major update is disturbingly similar to the sense of entitlement my teens have, when denied something they want, purely because they want it.

I know the game has had bugs in the past and will no doubt have bugs in the future.  I have played various games for many years, from beta to release, some good, some bad, some indifferent.  What has drawn me to this game, is the ability to play how I want to. If I want to build a fence, I will.  If I want to help a neighbour level a hill, I will. If I want to stand in my boat, adrift at sea and lost in fog, wurm will make it so.  There are many facets of this game that I enjoy, primarily the ability to be independant and mostly, the community.

You have underestimated the Wurm Community, I think.  Those that I have met have been exceedingly generous with their time and information, to help a newcomer into the game and progress.  They didn't have to, some have been here since inception and I was very pleasantly surprised not to feel a jadedness that sometimes happens with longtime gamers.  They have joked and cajoled, instructed and advised and given me a sense of friendship that is sometimes rare in these types of games.  I came in with expectations of being used as a workhorse, purely to advance somebody else.  That has rarely been the case for me and I count myself fortunate for it.

I like many things about the game, the graphics, the mobs, the new crafting interface.  I like that the Dev's get back with information, it may not be what everybody wants to hear, at least it's some form of communication that not all games have with their player base.  I like that the chat is interesting and the game is going somewhere.  I am not foolish enough to think that everyone will be happy with everything, nor am I jaded enough to think that your attempt to discredit and take a game off-line will empty Wurm of it's inhabitants.

I was poking fun at the update last night so I am not innocent in all of this.  My comments were mainly tongue-in-cheek about wandering horses and no offense was intended. Your attack, on the other hand, is offensiveness personified.  In my opinion, you have not so subtly cut off some wurm addicts from their poison of choice and that will only serve to feed the addiction and have us returning with a vengeance.  On the whole, the update was a rousing success and has caused much excitement within the Community.  You denying us that experience, will have us checking for updates more frequently, logging into the forums often, patiently (and impatiently) waiting to get back to the game.

That does not change the fact that you are an arse.

• Like 18

ddosers probably dont read more than two sentences tbh 

• Like 4

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, February 19, 2014 - Removed - Inappropriate language
Hidden by Shrimpiie, February 19, 2014 - Removed - Inappropriate language

Dear DDOS attacker

>http://youtu.be/ez-NsShMK74

• Like 2

I agree, this does make my addiction even stronger ^^

All we can do is plan what we do as soon as we get on.

• Like 3

Pure speculation, but this might not have anything specifically to do with Wurm at all. It's not uncommon for online games to be targets of DDoS blackmail attempts.

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/cyber-extortion/

Another extortion tactic, and a very popular trend, is to threat a company’s website or online business with a DDoS attack. Whether a DDoS is organized by extortionists, unfair competitors, or ‘just for laughs’ wanton troublemakers, is prima facieirrelevant. What is relevant is the realization that a DDoS imposed downtime might cost the targeted company a loss in revenue, clients, and prestige.

DDoS attacks have become an industry whose sheer power is at call for anyone willing to pay the price. And DDoS service prices are constantly going down, which also contributes to the epidemic proportions of this problem. According to Corero’s survey, 38% of the respondents admitted that they had suffered one or more DDoS attacks in the past 12 months. Depending on how huge the target is, rates for downing websites vary from as little as $5 to $100 per hour. DDoS dealers circulate everywhere online, in underground forums, and even on the public internet.

Additionally, DDoS attacks are difficult to stop (see Layer 7 DDoS.) No one should be taken by surprise that massive DDoS attacks are a prefered weapon of choice, ready to submerge luxurious e-commerce websites during peak traffic times (Diagram 3.)

Similar to some instances of ransomware, DDoS attacks may be time limited in order to achieve a maximum psychological effect. Cyber extortionists justify the ransom size with crude calculations of the approximate financial negative impact on the victim’s online business in the event of successful DDoS attack.

As an unwritten rule, most amounts of money asked for ransom demands are significantly lower than the potential financial loss on the victim’s part. That’s a purpose-built strategy intended as an incentive for the victim; temptation to redeem their peace of mind, pay the ransom like it’s a minor nuisance, and move on.

At the end of the day, DDoS attacks can be monetized in many ways.

I don't know what the ddos attacker really looks to get out of all this. If he was banned it was for his own mistakes. Not only that, if he was banned he probably was not the sharpest tool in the shed and, while he may think he's taking the game down with him, it's his same "smarts" that got him banned.

Anyone who's this determined to take something like this down needs mental help.

Edited by Anders

Despite the attacks I will still be playing this game . My full support to the Devs .

• Like 3

Go Ink! Game rocks. We'll be back.

The fact that there are other sandbox games popping up now means that Wurm has always been right on the money. A few DDOS attacks simply mean that the game has it going on. Only greats get targeted. No one spends their time and effort on someone in the middle of the pack.

• Like 3

Only greats get targeted. No one spends their time and effort on someone in the middle of the pack.

I do sincerely wish this were true. A couple of the small minecraft servers I used to play on got DDOS'ed not infrequently. The higher the status and budget of the game company, the more of a big deal it is when they get hit, so that's why it makes news. Not all the smaller attacks, that you don't hear about. Wurm has been DDOsed before, and it will be hit again in the future, I only hope that the new German hosts have better means to mitigate attacks like these by less dedicated individuals.

I have 4 cash-shop premium accounts of support behind Wurm and these sorts of things don't phase my faith in them to find the appropriate solution to protect their livelihood. I just hope that I'll be able to play Wurm tomorrow =)

Go Ink! Game rocks. We'll be back.

The fact that there are other sandbox games popping up now means that Wurm has always been right on the money. A few DDOS attacks simply mean that the game has it going on. Only greats get targeted. No one spends their time and effort on someone in the middle of the pack.

Little things get hit very often. For the most part ddos'rs do it for fun. Though this one happening to be on a update, seems a bit more then "for fun" I'd call that a tactical takedown... Most likely not by someone that been banned even. They probably wanted it down for other reasons, I highly doubt what ever the case, it would be because said person was banned.

I do sincerely wish this were true. A couple of the small minecraft servers I used to play on got DDOS'ed not infrequently.

Slightly different situation.  Minecraft servers DDOS eachother all the time to try and drive traffic up on their own servers.  Wurm has centralized servers so there isnt that competition for players within the same community.

I do however agree that it isnt only the leaders of the pack that get attacked.  Usually attacks come from morons with a credit card who are mad because their cheats got detected and they're banned.  "Oh I can pay this group $200 to take them down?  YEAH SCREW THEM I WIN NOW!"

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, February 19, 2014 - Removed - FUD
Hidden by Shrimpiie, February 19, 2014 - Removed - FUD

It was an inside job.

don't bother talking to DDoS, not worth your time and effort. I am not telling you not to write it just saying that it is pointless otherwise to talk sense.

If they hate IP data center or Wurm Online so much, they won't be able to read your hate message to full extent. What they hate may not make sense to your definition of hate.

Edited by Tobeornottobe

Slightly different situation. Minecraft servers DDOS eachother all the time to try and drive traffic up on their own servers. Wurm has centralized servers so there isnt that competition for players within the same community.

I do however agree that it isnt only the leaders of the pack that get attacked. Usually attacks come from morons with a credit card who are mad because their cheats got detected and they're banned. "Oh I can pay this group $200 to take them down? YEAH SCREW THEM I WIN NOW!"

"Slips credit cart back into wallet"...

What are you looking at?

Dear DDoS'er .. now i'm gonna buy more silver to support Wurm and upgrade stuff in the process.  Ta kthxbai umad?

• Like 1

Dear DDoS'er .. now i'm gonna buy more silver to support Wurm and upgrade stuff in the process.  Ta kthxbai umad?

Internal memo leaked from AB Codeclub: If we pull down the servers and claim DDOS, Mordraug will give us money. 

Wow, thanks Arronicus!

I nearly fell for the AB Codeclub DDOS scam as well... phew! :D

Rolf, Devs, CA Team... we're right behind you and we'll be back when you are ready and able to host for us again.

• Like 1

I agree, this does make my addiction even stronger ^^

All we can do is plan what we do as soon as we get on.

Plot Twist: Rolf did it to increase addiction and shop spending levels. :P

I havn't yet understood if the attack goes towards wurm or an other customer of the hoster.

I havn't yet understood if the attack goes towards wurm or an other customer of the hoster.

Wurm. The host shut Wurm down, because the DDOS attack on Wurm was impacting their other clients.

Thank you for your support Wurmians!

And the fact that you stay positive, you are all awesome.

I am going to be posting a bit more information later as we progress and I know more.

But know that we are doing our very best to migrate the hosting of Wurm right now when servers are already down due to the DDOS attack.

And as we where already in the process of testing and making a deal with a new host, we have a good chance of this going well.

I can not provide you with an accurate time estimate at this second.

I will post later with further information!

• Like 2

Well written Ink and I will not stop playing Wurm about some idiotic DDOS Attacks - also thx for the information @RedBaron_Johan

• Like 1

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

I may have conspiration theories by the pound about who did this but in the end all comes down to human stupidity.

• Like 2

This topic is either linked or quoted by five newssites.. Ink, you getting popular :P ...