Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Expect Wurm to be offline at least until noon 19 Feb CET

You running linux based servers?

If so you tried installing APF, BFD, DDOS DEFLATE or Rootkit.. now idk how your system runs so dont judge me on my questions xD hehe..

If linux based can also try and adding ip tables..

Would be something like:

-I INPUT -p TCP -m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 30/minute --limit-burst 5 -j ACCEPT

-I INPUT -p udp -m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 30/minute --limit-burst 5 -j ACCEPT

Add the above rules to /etc/iptables.up.rules

Also cloud services helps a lot with mitigation of a ddos attack.. if ISP had to shut you down for this then you seriously need a better ISP.. 

It was much easier to find a ddos attacker some years back, now its very difficult...

The newest way is NTP attacks which where used against League of legends and other games. This can usually be fixed by updating the NTP software.

(I'm not familiar with your systems or how the game runs serverside.. so some of these suggestions might prevent ppl from playing, so please check that out first *lol*)

If your isp cant find the control ip I wouldnt mind offering my sparetime backtracing them for you if I can.. You should have log files of the ips I hope.. so just mail them to me, I believe you have my email adress from my profile.

Its been a few yrs since I've done this sort of work though so I cant make any promises.  I used to program Cisco routers to prevent such attacks I also did some backtracing. Three I got shutdown from their own Isp's by talking to their providers after locating them..

(Bare in mind I'm a bit old and rusty at this)

But lemme know if I can help out, I don't ask for anything other than being able to play again... I love wurm =)

No way to prevent such a powerful DDoS attack like this with iptables... 

Any news on the current situation?

"Following up on yesterdays DDOS attack on our servers.

As we have previously announced on our forums, we where already looking into migrating the hosting of Wurm to more secure and robust servers.

It would also mean an overall performance boost compared to our current set up.

This event shows it is none to soon so as we would still experience downtime during a migration, we will go forward with this immediately."

Source: Wurm FB page

so what does this mean? Are they going to migrate now as well?

Any news on the current situation?

From facebook;

Following up on yesterdays DDOS attack on our servers.

As we have previously announced on our forums, we where already looking into migrating the hosting of Wurm to more secure and robust servers.

This event shows it is none to soon so as we would still experience downtime during a migration, we will go forward with this immediately.

"Following up on yesterdays DDOS attack on our servers.

As we have previously announced on our forums, we where already looking into

migrating the hosting of Wurm to more secure and robust servers.

This event shows it is none to soon so as we would still experience downtime during a migration, we will go forward with this

immediately."

Source: Wurm FB page

so what does this mean? Are they going to migrate now as well?

Rut Roh...... :wacko:

Edited by Protunia

SO porting servers to a new provider - any one have any idea how long that takes - 2? 6? 12? hours or so

JUST FIX THIS DAMN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE EXCUSES NO MORE PPL KISSING BUT JUST FIX IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST FIX THIS DAMN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE EXCUSES NO MORE PPL KISSING BUT JUST FIX IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P YOu MAd Bro???

We are gonna Merge to new faster servers so be happy!! :D

Edited by Protunia

Have you even read any of the info posted in this and the other thread, or did you just wake up and fancy a rant ?

Rolf can do nothing at the current location until the Hosts allow the Wurm servers back onto the net.

Info from Facebook is they are in the process of doing a migration to new servers. So sit back, chill and learn some patience.

Edited by Kediec
  • Like 2

http://forum.wurmonl...icial/?p=970564

RedBaron_Johan, on 19 Feb 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:snapback.png

You where fast to pick up on that post.

I am going to be posting information here as well.

But yes, we are doing our very best to migrate the hosting of Wurm right now when servers are already down due to the DDOS attack.

And as we where already in the process of testing and making a deal with the new host, we have a good chance of this going well.

I can not provide you with an accurate time estimate at this second.

I will post later with further information!

I'm not familiar with how long these migration transfers take. Anyone know ? Or at least can guess? I assumed weeks but I don't think they'd want the game down that long.

Sorry I just woke and a bit fuzzy !

Well, with a fast connection it really comes down to how well organized the admin team is.  Shouldn't take more than a day and should be less than that.

ye, i been up already 12 hours and im old so i take a nap, lets see what happened when i wake up, nn all :)

Haha I have university exams today, preparing to go in, get thrown around a bit and hopefully come home to a weekend of wurm. So stressed from school! I just hope the new server is more stable than the last. I'm not sure what they do in these server upgrades.

Do you think places like starter towns will still lag with lots of people there? :) oh how exciting to think about.

So lets tell rolf and dev team to stop and let u do it? If u can think u can do it faster i bet we will never play again if we leave it up to you. 

Shut up and have some patience.. and respect.

• Like 3

Since we do not know how, when or under which circumstances our current hosting company want to bring our servers back online we are working on retrieving the data from those servers and put on the new planned hosting. We have the new hosting prepared but it will take a while to set it up.

The game will not be back online within the next 8 hours but we’ll do our best to keep going until they are. We’ll know more at around 20.00 hrs CET today.

Sign in to follow this