Sign in to follow this  
garak

Easy install instructions: Ubuntu 13.10 / Variants

As a new player, I found it very fast to get online in Wurm.  Here is a step by step guide to installation.  This guide should also work for 12.04LTS, and other versions that have the Software Center.

Open Software Center.

In search bar, type "icedtea" (without quotes).

Click on OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime, then click Install.  Wait for installation to complete.  You may have to type your sudo password.

Click on IcedTea Java Web Start, then click Install.  Wait for Installation to complete.  You may have to type your sudo password.

Click on IcedTea Web Control Panel, then click Install.  Wait for Installation to complete. You may have to type your sudo password.

After these 3 items have been installed, download the wurm client from the website.

Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the wurmclient.jnlp file.

Right click the wurmclient.jnlp file and select "Open with IcedTea Java Web Start"

This will launch the installer and download the game.  It will offer to create a desktop icon.  If you do not create the icon, you will need to create one yourself, or start the game from the terminal with the command:  javaws "/home/YOURLOGINNAMEHERE/.icedtea/cache/0/http/www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp"

You can also always right click the wurmclient.jnlp and click "Open with IcedTea Java Web Start" at any time to launch the game.

Multiple Client Tips:

Let one client get fully logged into the game before attempting to launch a 2nd client.

Close one client at a time, and wait 10-20 seconds before closing the next.

Troubleshooting:

Occasionally the Java data will become corrupted due to accidentally launching more than 1 client at at the same time (instead of waiting for one to finish loading before starting the 2nd) or closing multiple clients too fast one after another.

If you find yourself being stuck at the IcedTea splash screen, open your task manager or System Monitor (depending on your Desktop Environment) and kill any processes labeled "Javaws".  Next, you will want to open your home folder, press CTRL+H to show hidden files, and delete the .icedtea and .java folders.  Then, re-download the client from the website, and re-install.  As long as you stick with the default install location during the install, all your character data, and window positions will be saved.

If you have any other issues, feel free to post here!  These instructions may also work for Debian, Mint, and other distros that use Aptitude, but you would have to find instructions to install the 3 IcedTea packages for your distro.

Edited by garak
  • Like 3

Performance Tips:

If your system has a Nvidia or AMD/ATI video card, you may want to use the proprietary drivers instead of Ubuntu's open source drivers.  The proprietary drivers give much better FPS over the automatically installed generic drivers.

In Dash (or your DE's program finder/launcher) search for "Additional Drivers"

On the Additional Drivers tab, look for the latest FLGRX (for AMD/ATI cards) or the latest Proprietary Nvidia driver (For Nvidia cards), then simply click the radial button next to that driver, and click Apply.  It can take a few minutes to download and install, then it will ask for a reboot.  In many cases, Ubuntu will put (Recommended) next to one of the drivers, as long as it says Proprietary as well, that is the one you want to choose.

• Like 1

Are there any advantages to running Wurm on Ubuntu expcept one of personal preference? I am thinking of setting up my own machine in preference to Windows !

I'm a fan of open source OSs, I haven't used Windows in over a year now.  As to benefits from a game standpoint, I'd say there's no special difference.  In fact, I think with similar hardware, Wurm actually would run slightly faster on Windows.

My hardware is slightly dated (Phenom x4 2.3ghz, Radeon 7770 Ghz 4gb card) and I get ~15fps at medium settings with two clients running.  If I set all settings to minimum, I get 30fps in both clients, but I like the eye candy, and don't mind the slightly slower framerate.

It's just a personal preference for me to run Linux.

I wouldn't really recommend using OpenJDK for Wurm.

See this http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/66368-installing-wurm-in-ubuntu-1204-linux/ to uninstall it and use Oracle JDK.

Last time I used OpenJDK for Wurm it did not cache my client and I had to redownload it each time.

garak

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

I'm a fan of open source OSs, I haven't used Windows in over a year now.  As to benefits from a game standpoint, I'd say there's no special difference.  In fact, I think with similar hardware, Wurm actually would run slightly faster on Windows.

My hardware is slightly dated (Phenom x4 2.3ghz, Radeon 7770 Ghz 4gb card) and I get ~15fps at medium settings with two clients running.  If I set all settings to minimum, I get 30fps in both clients, but I like the eye candy, and don't mind the slightly slower framerate.

It's just a personal preference for me to run Linux.

I haven't notice any lose in performance from running Wurm in Windows vs Linux. But then again I have a Nvidia card and I have always heard that Nvidia's Linux drivers are better than AMD's Linux drivers.

solmark

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Are there any advantages to running Wurm on Ubuntu expcept one of personal preference? I am thinking of setting up my own machine in preference to Windows !

1.  Linux has less bugs
  2.  Linux is less resource intensive
  3.  Nearly any Linux distribution is more stable than windows server
  4.  Linux is more versatile
  5.  Linux is more secure
  6.  Most Linux distros are FREE!(Windows 8 is $100 and as far I know there is no free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8) 

TBH I don't even have a need nor desire to use Windows unless it is a game or software that will not work on Linux. I had always been a Microsoft fanboy up until Windows Vista and was only passive toward them with Windows 7. Now I completely refuse to buy any product made by Microsoft until they release an OS that is at least comparable to Ubuntu or Arch Linux.

• Like 1

I wouldn't really recommend using OpenJDK for Wurm.

See this http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/66368-installing-wurm-in-ubuntu-1204-linux/ to uninstall it and use Oracle JDK.

Last time I used OpenJDK for Wurm it did not cache my client and I had to redownload it each time.

The latest OpenJDK currently runs Wurm perfectly.  It caches the client just fine. The spirit of Linux is open source, why use proprietary Sun/Oracle Java?

The guide as written runs successfully on all 3 of my Xubuntu boxes, with no extra downloading.