Sign in to follow this  
bengatt1999

GLSL support - 2 bugs

Well i have a bit of an issue here,

if i use GLSL support then i get the stretched npc bug and if i switch GLSL off then i get the moving floor textures bug!

What should i do???

Schwanke has made some progress on (and supposedly solved) what I believe to be the same issue you're encountering, so I'd recommend you read Schwanke's posts in the following thread:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/81412-strange-graphic-issue-with-tiles-while-moving/

I'm pretty sure you're encountering the same issue as Schwanke, though I don't think it's the same as the original issue in that thread.  They do have a similar symptom (the terrain glitches), though.

The original issue in that thread seemed to be a Mac-specific issue in which FBOs and Pbuffers were interfering with each other.

This newer issue does not seem specific to Macs.  I've noticed people encountering it report using either an Intel or Nvidia graphics chipset, and many mention using laptops.  In some cases they also mention Nvidia Optimus (a technology for switching between multiple graphics chipsets in a laptop, typically used with an Nvidia graphics chipset and an Intel graphics chipset).  While reading up on Optimus, I found that it works a bit differently than traditional graphics switching solutions, and it is actually possible for multiple graphics chipsets to be in use at the same time with Optimus.  More specifically, it always uses the low-end graphics chipset for displays, but only switches the higher-end one on as needed, sending output from the higher-end chipset to the low-end one.  I'm not sure if the issue is due to problems with the individual graphics chipsets and/or their drivers or due to problems with the way Optimus is interacting with them.

Nvidia has a whitepaper in PDF format on its site giving an overview of how Optimus works.  It can be found here (will redirect to the PDF file):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_optimus_whitepapers.html

Schwanke has made some progress on (and supposedly solved) what I believe to be the same issue you're encountering, so I'd recommend you read Schwanke's posts in the following thread:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/81412-strange-graphic-issue-with-tiles-while-moving/

I'm pretty sure you're encountering the same issue as Schwanke, though I don't think it's the same as the original issue in that thread.  They do have a similar symptom (the terrain glitches), though.

The original issue in that thread seemed to be a Mac-specific issue in which FBOs and Pbuffers were interfering with each other.

This newer issue does not seem specific to Macs.  I've noticed people encountering it report using either an Intel or Nvidia graphics chipset, and many mention using laptops.  In some cases they also mention Nvidia Optimus (a technology for switching between multiple graphics chipsets in a laptop, typically used with an Nvidia graphics chipset and an Intel graphics chipset).  While reading up on Optimus, I found that it works a bit differently than traditional graphics switching solutions, and it is actually possible for multiple graphics chipsets to be in use at the same time with Optimus.  More specifically, it always uses the low-end graphics chipset for displays, but only switches the higher-end one on as needed, sending output from the higher-end chipset to the low-end one.  I'm not sure if the issue is due to problems with the individual graphics chipsets and/or their drivers or due to problems with the way Optimus is interacting with them.

Nvidia has a whitepaper in PDF format on its site giving an overview of how Optimus works.  It can be found here (will redirect to the PDF file):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_optimus_whitepapers.html

nope sorry not the same bug

well i dont think so at least

i use windows 8.1 intel hd graphics card

tried unchecking buffer support no use

Edited by bengatt1999

The model stretching could be caused by problems with VBO support and/or GLSL shader support.  When enabled, VBOs are used to store geometry data, though shaders can further modify the geometry.

Schwanke's posts in that thread I linked to are likely about the same issue you're encountering, but I don't think the original post (and many others) in that thread are.  I was trying to point out that there are likely two different issues in that thread, with Schwanke's being the one you're likely encountering.  As noted by Schwanke, disabling VBO can help with the model stretching:

I update my solution. I had to turn VBO off to stop the model mutilations. (Aliens?) 

Either I had a mistake in my version that had it turned on or there is something wierd about the order you turn things on and off on the compatability page. Cuz I fooled around with every combination I could think of and finally that one worked even though I'm almost 90% sure I tried it before and it didnt work.

So then new solution:

Latest Java (51), Latest NVidia Drivers (I'm a 740M GT), Windows 8.1

MultiDraw CORE

GLSL Core

VBO DISABLED

FBO CORE

Pbuffer UNCHECKED

mipmaps COre

Non Power of Two Disabled

Occlusion Disabled

Rest unchecked

However, Schwanke also made another post after that with more information:

The problem is much more complex then just the settings in the compatability section.

My last configuration above worked on my account "Schwankenchanter" but now does NOT work on my account "Schwanke" even though all I did was load the account with the same configuration from the settings section.

I have fiddled with every combination that I can think of short of doing a logic chart and I can get EITHER working models and bad tile textures or working tile textures and bad models but NOT both working models and good tile textures.

I suspect there is a bug in the configuration system that has the launcher SAYING one setting but using another. I believe this because I was pretty darn sure my first set was correct and then it didnt work the second time but something else did. Then that other person showed that an even different set of settings worked and now even the same set on the same computer does not work. When it DID work on that account not a half hour before. I even had the first account running with the settings working and the second account running with them not with the same settings and now that I have logged out both accounts either one when I log them in with either of the two 'working' settings dont work.

**************** FOUND THE FIX****************

I had just reinstalled and forgot that the laptop defaults to using the onboard intel graphics processor for everything unless you tell it manually to use the GeForce. I went into the NVIDIA control panel and set it to use the GeForce as the primary display adapter.

I have no idea why some random settings worked before unless I some how triggered it to use the card naturally.

BTW my current settings:

Windows 8.1, Java 51, Latest NVidia Drivers, NVIDIA CARD AS PRIMARY GRAPHICS CONTROL CARD.

Then in wurm I have everythingon the compatability page set to CORE and the pbuffer unchecked.

Works now. :)

The model stretching could be caused by problems with VBO support and/or GLSL shader support.  When enabled, VBOs are used to store geometry data, though shaders can further modify the geometry.

Schwanke's posts in that thread I linked to are likely about the same issue you're encountering, but I don't think the original post (and many others) in that thread are.  I was trying to point out that there are likely two different issues in that thread, with Schwanke's being the one you're likely encountering.  As noted by Schwanke, disabling VBO can help with the model stretching:

However, Schwanke also made another post after that with more information:

ok so i dont use nvidia graphics card,

as i said before i use intel HD graphics card

i tried the settings in ur post,

the stretched npcs werent there,

however the floor texture was still there,

any other ideas?