Sign in to follow this  
Apotheon

GLSL shader

I've tried right from the simplest setting upwards and still no joy.  Still works using the test client though.

I'm not on a Mac, but I'm also unable to run the game with the shader on without either crashing immediately, or crashing after a few minutes of gameplay.

Edited to add I updated my graphics card drivers on a whim and I'm happy to report I'm now able to play Wurm with the shader on and reflections turned on as well!

Edited by Araninke

Ah, yes I believe that both our macs have updated graphics card drivers direct from Nvidia / ATI. It's been quite a while since I did that.

• Like 1

Ah, yes I believe that both our macs have updated graphics card drivers direct from Nvidia / ATI. It's been quite a while since I did that.

Me too, like not since I bought the computer. :P Should have thought to try that when I first started playing 5 months ago!

Just tried again with the latest client.  Still not working. Client been running 3 minutes and still not rendered  the interior of the house I'm in.  

Still fine on the test server. 

Do you have up to date graphics drivers direct from ATI or Nvidia?

Indeed I do.  Even so  it doesn't explain why GLSL works on the test server but not elsewhere.

Edited by DeriJay

Maybe there is a specific model that crashes with GLSL on. Have you tried moving your character and relogging somewhere else? Or other potential variables.

Tried five machines, three ISPs, three characters, different locations.  The only difference is that in complex environments it is quicker to grind to halt.

I think I posted this before, GLSL shaders are working on our two iMacs for some time. So far we haven't had those performance issues.

Do you have any laptops that can run with them on?

https://youtu.be/xo4BpgfWiBE

I know people with Mac laptops that run with GLSL shaders on.  They tend to be newer models though.

Just checked to see if this issue was resolved on my mac with the recent update. It is not. What I experience is an extreme loss of FPS if i look at a glowing item or the water. It is about 1 frame every 5 seconds. If i am patient, i can turn my view away from the water and any glowing item and then i get normal fps.

There is no crash or anything like that...its just a crazy loss of FPS. It may be that my computer is not powerful enough to see it...but I have a feeling there is something else going on. Just for reference, I am using a macbook air from 2013 with an i7 and 8gb ram. I think the graphics card is an intel HD Graphics 5000 (integrated) which may be the problem.

Hopefully the switch to the Test server rendering engine will help!

Any idea when it's likely that the current client will use the test client rendering engine?

I just tested turning on GLSL shaders again and things seem to be fixed!!! I don't think anything has been mentioned in this regard. So everyone with a mac who had these issues before, try it out!!

I am overjoyed!!!

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

I just tested turning on GLSL shaders again and things seem to be fixed!!! I don't think anything has been mentioned in this regard. So everyone with a mac who had these issues before, try it out!!

I am overjoyed!!!

Please please tell all your settings. I just tried putting the GLSL shaders back on and it was a horror. I could see water again, but everything flashed and had horrible colors. If I had epilepsy I would have been in trouble.

I tried it out yesterday.  Worked fine for an hour until the client froze.

Just tried again with Shaders on.  So slow it was unusable :(

Thanks to a tip from a friend  I found that I can get GLSL shaders to work by setting GLSL to core and setting VBO to disabled! Seem to work on the current client and the unstable client.

• Like 1

Oh well. Scratch that.  Now GLSL is just freezing the client up. :(