Sign in to follow this  
saytheb

Rendering surface objects from inside a cave?

If you read what I quoted, he said he may revisit that bug. That is what I was referring to.

Sigh. I need to stop posting before the first coffee.

I'm curious; what extent of the outside game world is actually rendered with this fix? I'm guessing that the increased performance we've always enjoyed in caves has largely been thanks to the "bug" causing outside world not being rendered.

did you update with this fix? I was just in a cave canal in indi and i was about 10 tiles from the entrance and i could see outside.

Also: did you, or some one, fix the leaving the boat when entering a cave? Went through 4 times and never once got kicked off, at varying speeds.

I can run this game maxed out at 60fps most of the time.

Give me more options like this!

+1

It seems implemented to me. I have gone through caves and been able to see out of the entrances.

Whatever you do, please do not remove the "glitch" that lets you peek through cave walls! In the current "Pseudo-2D-world" it's the only way to connect/reconnect mine tunnels and find your way underground.

• Like 2

would be nice to have some sort of prospecting ability to see "tunnels" without the glitch ;) like giving some kind of message like :" there is a tunnel 2 tiles ahead of you" and with higher prospecting it could be "there is a tunnel 2 tiles ahead of you. the height difference between you and the tunnel is 60 slope. the tunnelled tile itself is flat." 

something like that ;) that way it would be even better than peeking through walls and maybe even prevent accidentially made dropshafts when not knowing exactly whats behind a wall 

i guess direction could be determined by the rock tile you clicked on for prospecting, and if there is diagonal ones, we could add a radius like :"there is a tunnel SW of you"

• Like 1

Oh, I'l have to check it out. My mine has a mine door and now when I am inside, I see that the mine door doesn't cover the entire entrance :) No biggie at all, at it may be just something that suddenly cropped on my end. I'll have to go to a mine without a door, though, to see if this has been implemented, as you guys say.

Saytheb, can we get a confirmation on this?

Whatever you do, please do not remove the "glitch" that lets you peek through cave walls! In the current "Pseudo-2D-world" it's the only way to connect/reconnect mine tunnels and find your way underground.

Amen

With minedoors I always had to slightly pop my head out to be able to tell if there actually was such a door when inside.

You used to be able to shove your head through a mine wall and use a looking glass to look straight down to get a distance to whatever it's measuring to down there in the black.

I've used that to meet up tunnels through mountains with only a couple slope difference in the past.

Unfortunately at some point in the past an update made this not work anymore, wouldn't mind that coming back.

• Like 1

I find it strange that people are just like, 'sure, why not?'.

Personally I think this is amazing and should definitely be in, without a shadow of a doubt - this is a must and smooths the feeling of the game so much.

it's already in but it's very buggy. Sometimes you can see out, sometimes not. Sometimes I can see into a cave, through the sidewall of the entrance tile and out on the other side of the cave through several tiles of rock when I'm a few tiles outside the cave.  

Please consider this, rather:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/gpu-perfstudio/

Main things I would look into:

1) Is Wurm loading assets that the player is not close to and can not see?

2) Why is the game so slow when multiple layers are in a vicinity? (Impalong my PC was using 11% CPU, 20% RAM, 10% GPU, 12% GPU RAM and yet FPS was 11-24.)

Edited by Jenshiye

Never mind.  This is a necro.  lol

Edited by Amadee

The original thread is almost 2 years old. Looking through walls has not changed and is still possible to some extend.

16 hours ago, ago said:

The original thread is almost 2 years old. Looking through walls has not changed and is still possible to some extend.

lol.  Wow, never even noticed that.  :)   Gotta be careful when someone necros an old thread.

Hello, I'm currently helping on a mining project and while in the cave the game runs very smooth. As soon as I look anywhere near the entrance the frames drop dramatically and the game gets choppy even if the outside world is not in sight. I would love to see this fixed.

Also if we had improved compasses at higher ql that show what tile we are on (X,Y,Z) we wouldn't need to look through walls. Maybe that already exist, idk.

• Like 1

Very nice!

Edited by Rykersreign
Needed to change it after realizing this is a feature now
  • Like 1