Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

I'm gald to see Spring!

Yes, spring is so great. But at the same time I know that some players miss winter. They dislike that winter is so short. Believe it or not have a lot of compassion for those folks on the other side of the fence. It just leaves me completely dumbfounded how Wurm can't see that letting use use SEASONS OVERRIDE will result in a better Wurm experience for its players. Further, happy players create positive outcomes for the success and future of Wurm.

Please don't delete my thread just because you don't like what I have to say. No rules have been broken in the creation of this thread.

• Like 1

Possibly forgot. 

I think there is some confusion here Nicrolis.  I'm was referring to an option in the settings that lets any player change what season is displayed for thier client. This is not the same things as the Dev forcing it to be winter for all players.

Winter makes it easier to spot things than the other seasons.  Probably disallowed due to pvp concerns.

I'm one of the winter lovers. I was hoping that winter would last at least 'till the 25th (in all timezones), and gods willing, maybe 'till January 1st. It's not like there has never been snowfalls in spring nor summer. I love spring too, but I spent some time putting snowpeople everywhere and now they look ridiculous :).

An option to force the season for the client would have been great. Disable it for the pvp servers if it's a problem.

• Like 1

I hate winter myself. But others like it and so I think it should be the same length as every other season.

An option to force the season for the client would have been great. Disable it for the pvp servers if it's a problem.

Kinda like that idea, kinda dislike it too lol.

Edited by AlexLong

I just wonder whether the grass laughing at the snow men, or vice versa. :blink:

Either massively improve and balance the winter graphics (I think they look horrible, sorry), or allow for an override which ONLY allows you to make it as if it were summer. No override so it can be winter.

I still say we need a option to remove winter textures for people like me, I don't log in wurm during winter as everything I enjoy Is harder to do nature wise (or just not as fun since everything is ugly)

Didn't log in till it was spring this time, it's soooo depressing :( at the same time, I can see the people that love winter. So it's a lose/lose for someone currently either way

Catering for the individual player with options to override season cycles and/or day/night cycles is a big step away from the shared MMO experience, towards the experience of a hedonistic showroom like Second Life or The Sims. It can also be compared to instancing or the "phasing" initiatives taken,in other MMOs, where different players do not see the same NPCs, although this is mainly for questline purposes. 

Totally ruines immersion, big -1 from me.

• Like 2

Catering for the individual player with options to override season cycles and/or day/night cycles is a big step away from the shared MMO experience, towards the experience of a hedonistic showroom like Second Life or The Sims. It can also be compared to instancing or the "phasing" initiatives taken,in other MMOs, where different players do not see the same NPCs, although this is mainly for questline purposes. 

This!

"Good morning new citizen!"

"Good morning Mr. Mayor!"

"I suggest you build your house between here and the fence, where the white flowers are"

"Flowers?"

"Yea the white flowers, next to the camelia bushes"

"Bushes?"

"Yes the bushes with dark leaves?"

"Leaves?"

etc etc

I don't enjoy winter for very long, it isn't as pretty as it could be, i think alot of the work they've done on the textures.. they skipped the winter ones.

After staring at snow and low-res marble for a week, i was blown away by the attention to detail and vibrancy of spring. 

I suppose that's a good thing.. the contrast.
The refresh helps you constantly appreciate the beauty of this game.

Edited by Steveleeb

The default setting would continue to be seasonal. Please explain how your personal opinion over how other people should experience Wurm ruins immersion. Do you really need to force others to play the game your way to enjoy the game? 

Arguably there are a lot of options right now that drastically change the game world. Try turning down tile decoration, turning off pretty trees, turning off pretty weather, and tweaking the gamma on your monitor to undo darkness. These options have never been a problem and they do exactly the same thing as you seem to think will be detrimental to the game. Its also a fact that many players have asked for simplified art client. With this simplified client no one cared it would look different.

Maybe I'm just crazy, I think giving player option improves the fun factor. In contrast, Imposing undesirable "immersion" factors dictated by narrow minded ( could even label such views as arrogant and selfish) won't improve the fun factor for those who disagree with their views. I understand sometimes its just not possible to please everyone, but in this case its simply not true. You want immersion, keep default season; You want something else, seasons override it.

Winter isn't immersion. Some places don't ever snow, ever. Some places are snow 24/7.

And there is no immersion if you don't even play the game during its time, at the least they need to get rid of the VERY ugly foliage/grass/wtv it's suppose to be in winter where flowers are ad add something different.

Currently, it's depressing as crap >_<

I really don't understand peoples problem with winter. "the graphics are crap" "its depressing", I live in australia, but my knowledge is when it snows, it covers everything, and really does leave just white blankets covering everything.

Maybe I'm just crazy, I think giving player option improves the fun factor. In contrast, Imposing undesirable "immersion" factors dictated by narrow minded ( could even label such views as arrogant and selfish) won't improve the fun factor for those who disagree with their views. I understand sometimes its just not possible to please everyone, but in this case its simply not true. You want immersion, keep default season; You want something else, seasons override it.

The fact the game is seasonal makes it really fun, as you actually feel like the year progresses, and i don't believe in the idea of "each person can choose their own season" Because that just leads to ruining the aesthetic feel that seasons are there to create. These views and desires to play the game with actual seasons are neither arrogant or selfish, and simply wish to enjoy the world that has been created.

Deciding that if the game does not function to your wishes it is a hugely negative thing would come across to me as the arrogant or selfish choice.

["Maybe I'm just crazy, I think giving player option improves the fun factor."]

Yes, in a single-player game. There are plenty of those out there. This is an MMO so it's a little different. The extra fun to be had in an MMO, what really sets them apart, is the interaction with other players. But as I examplified in the fictional conversation above, I cannot engage in meaningful interaction with a player that is essentially not in the same game world as I am (winter vs summer, or night vs day). 

You have other priorities, as it seems you simply want to optimise your personal vista in the game, but my point of view is the point of view of an MMO player interacting with others in a shared world.

Edited by Cista

["Maybe I'm just crazy, I think giving player option improves the fun factor."]

Yes, in a single-player game. There are plenty of those out there. This is an MMO so it's a little different. The extra fun to be had in an MMO, what really sets them apart, is the interaction with other players. But as I examplified in the fictional conversation above, I cannot engage in meaningful interaction with a player that is essentially not in the same game world as I am (winter vs summer, or night vs day).

You have other priorities, as it seems you simply want to optimise your personal vista in the game, but my point of view is the point of view of an MMO player interacting with others in a shared world.

As I see everyone say when I claim it's a mmo, I'll use what they use this time.

"It's not a MMO, it's a single player sandbox with the choice of multiplayer"

:P glad I finally get to use that! And no, we're not selfish. If they make snow textures better, I'm all for it. If they give us a option to remove it, I'm all for it.

They have things that turn spiders into blocks or wtv in options right now, well you know what? That ruins the immersion, and selfish, they shouldn't be able to do that!

Saying were the selfish ones REQUESTING a option, sounds to me as if the other side would be. And neither side is "right" as far as my personal and "selfish" reasons for wanting it changed, I'm a freak for the nature skills in the game, and making everything look good with flowers/trees. Now, when winter comes...that all goes to hell. And the flowers look worse then a grass/dirt tile, so yeah I'm a "bit" mad there.

Just give us better graphics or even remove the flower textures and make them plain and I'd be happy to work around it, as it is now it IS very ugly.

["I'm a freak for the nature skills in the game]

Nature skills are all the skills I do in this game. In winter I resort to making wine, repairing fences, making flowerpots etc.

When spring comes that makes me extra happy. If there were no seasons then I wouldn't be extra happy just now :)

But that's just how I enjoy the seasons, I understand that others don't care for seasons.

However, the game is as it is, with seasons in it, and that adds tremendously to the gameplay IMO. What you suggest is a *new change* that would impact my interaction with other players. You want to change the game away from being an MMO where people share the same world, towards a game where each player is in a different world, and I would not welcome that change in my game..  

The fact the game is seasonal makes it really fun, as you actually feel like the year progresses, and i don't believe in the idea of "each person can choose their own season" Because that just leads to ruining the aesthetic feel that seasons are there to create. These views and desires to play the game with actual seasons are neither arrogant or selfish, and simply wish to enjoy the world that has been created.

What you find as fun may not be what others find as fun. No one is trying to take away anyone's seasonal experience. Players with a different opinion asking for an option that IN NO WAY AFFECTS other players is not selfish. You on the other hand are trying to impose your opinions upon others and trying to tell others how to play.

People can have different opinions, people can voice those opinions. Often times in Wurm their is a black and white choice that has to be made because its not possible to please everyone. In this case that is not true. Me overriding my season to summer will in no way have any affect on other players. This options will increase the happiness of Wurm players.

Well atm the seasons doesn't did much except on winter all foliages are gone and some replaced by small or no indicator that they are there which can become cista's scenario. Or that people on pvp starts to play on winter to spot theirs enemies easier... 

The first problem can be avoided, the second problem is :( ... else I would say let people use whatever game skin they want.

I think the seasons work well.  The only issue I have, is that there is no transitioning.   from one second to the other, a file is updated and suddenly everything is changed.

Instead Id love it if there was some transition between seasons.

Oh, and equal season time for all seasons.