Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Freedom Deed Upkeep Cap

Well we all see it.  That deed on prime land that hasn't seen player activity in over 6 months.  We've waited and waited for it to fall, then one day it does and...  Well it was just not worth the wait.

I propose the amount one can have invested in deed upkeep on freedom be capped at 2 months.  You want to keep your giant castle of doom?  Log in once every month and put some silver in.  Seriously, not asking for much.

The solution will inconvenience players a little (having to log in that one time per month, use your bank and invest silver) but the payoff (no 6 month deeds that lock up prime land for no reason) seems pretty fair.

This will require a one time script running to refund players who have more than 2 months stored in their deeds and an extra check on deed creation (again a player might get some "change" when they create a deed).  Otherwise implementation should not be too hard.

Why not epic?  PvP allows the draining of deed upkeep and this might unbalance it (not sure since I don't play on there).

• Like 1

I am one of those guys who does not have time to log in sometimes for several months. Still, I pay premium for more than 3 years now and I pay my upkeep. Wurm is more of a "holiday cottage" for me and I have no idea why I should be punished for my play style.

• Like 17

-1, it sucks if you don't have that ideal deed spot but that's just how it is.

• Like 1

-1 "you don't have the right to require someone else to log in" if they already paid

i personally keep 90 to 150 days in my upkeeps just for peace of mind.

for below the 30day part you get building and fence decay.

side note *

people wonder why there is decay on deed.

its to lower the amount of items in the database.

and if your not active you will have to replace your none building/fence stuff or build higher ql stuff

Side note 2 * "edited in"

waiting for a deed to drop requires patience.

if you don't have patience then how are you still playing wurm.

Edited by Notsodirt
  • Like 2

Such a bad idea. FORCE people who pay their way to do something because you can't get your own hands on their prime spot/stash on deed.

If someone pays for 2 years, and only logs in once a year on the 1st April to shout 'BOO' - why try to stop them or limit them?  It's THEIR money, and THEIR time - who are you to tell them how and when they can, or can't, pay or play.

• Like 8

No way in earrrthhhhhhh

You are looking this only from your own perspective. This would only benefit deed looters who are too lazy to make their own cash

Stop waiting for someone's items, and go do some work ;)

Edited by silakka

-1 Regardless if they log in or not they have paid for the land and have every right to do what they want within the rules. if that is not log in for 6 months then okay with me they paid for it. 

BIG -1.  This sounds so....  I am not going to say.  If a player pays up his deed for a year in advance, he should not have to worry about losing his investment because someone else wants his pretty landscape.

Just go find somewhere else and be thankful your suggestion won't come back around to haunt you some day. :)

I have a deeded home in my ideal spot thanks ;)

Please do not assume that just because I post a suggestion that would be helpful for non-elite "Oh my gods lets spend $100 to claim some land so that no-one else may ever touch it" players that I am some kind of nublet vagabond?

-1 from me as well.

As everyone else has basically said, why should they be limited in upkeep. If someone wants to pay 10years into a deed upkeep in advance as an example, good for them, i personally would thank them for their investment in the game.

I myself keep around 1year of upkeep on my deed, so i know if i have to take a break be it for RL reasons, or simply burnout from playing too much, my deed will still be there when i get back.

It is upto a player how much upkeep they keep in their deed, and i highly disagree with a limit being placed on that choice.

Don't forget, that every single coin tied up in upkeep is more money for Rolf and the Developers to work with alongside premium payments, as it was all bought from the game shop (aka Rolf) at some point in time.

Disclaimer :- This is my own personal opinion and in no way should be taken as an official response from Code Club or it's Staff.

• Like 1

Well we all see it.  That deed on prime land that hasn't seen player activity in over 6 months.  We've waited and waited for it to fall, then one day it does and...  Well it was just not worth the wait.

I propose the amount one can have invested in deed upkeep on freedom be capped at 2 months.  You want to keep your giant castle of doom?  Log in once every month and put some silver in.  Seriously, not asking for much.

Please do not assume that just because I post a suggestion that would be helpful for non-elite "Oh my gods lets spend $100 to claim some land so that no-one else may ever touch it" players that I am some kind of nublet vagabond?

The posts contradict themselves in why you wanted this feature added ... your opening statement is 'you wait for somewhere to drop that you've been wathcing and there's nothing left of worth to take'- ie you like looting left-overs from upkeep dropped deeds -- how else is anyone going to take a post of this nature ? If your intention wasn't to come across as a looter, you should probably have re-phrased your statements :P

• Like 1

Pffff sometimes I quit wurm for 6-8 months at a time. Rolf gets my prem and upkeep, I get to keep my land ... sounds fair to me.

• Like 2

Pffff sometimes I quit wurm for 6-8 months at a time. Rolf gets my prem and upkeep, I get to keep my land ... sounds fair to me.

Well said.

On the topic of an Upkeep cap, I'd say No.

As a few have already said, there is no need to limit the amount of coin you can prepay, beyond appeasing looters (which you imply you are) or those wanting that land for themselves.  Given the amount of land available (in both prime and non-prime areas) on Indy alone, there is an easier fix for those in the second group.

For the folks in the first group (looters), patience and enough time solve most of their issues as well.  So another easy fix.

If you just have to have other folks stuff, go to Wilds/Chaos and feel free to try and loot/drain deeds to your heart's content.  Course expect the repercussions that are part of the system.

Edited by Hussars

-1 it's paid for.

We've got a deed that had unterraformed land and no structures for several years. It looked as if someone was staking it out for a while because they built fences way off their own deed in the direction of ours, as if they were really waiting for it to fall. But guess what: That deed was extremely active, you just couldn't tell by looking at it because everything happened below ground level.

Many of these "abandonned" deeds serve a purpose. Some of them really are abandonned, but others are used for something (mines, protecting a tunnel, safe respawn point in a hunting area, a place to return to after long breaks from the game). Some of my ingame friends have a very busy RL schedule that prevents them from playing for months at a time, sometimes for 6 months (and in some cases even more). Who are you to say that these people don't deserve to come back to a deeded settlement if they'd be willing to pay for that?

For my reasons as to my opinion on this matter, I point to the 10+ reasons as to why this is not a good idea to implement.

"Seriously, not asking for much."

"The solution will inconvenience players."

this is not a suggestion at all!

HAHAHAHA!!!! Get Real......-1

Just because you are waiting for a deed to fall so you can loot it or do the to do the same thing and deed it up doesn't mean the game should make it easier for you.

Plus the fact a lot of times you can find nice deeds for less buying from someone else than it cost to make them.......If you actually are looking for a deed.

For a long time I had over 300+ days in all my deeds because I never knew when I was going to have to take a break.

Also its nice to know you don't have to worry about paying upkeep for awhile.

Making upkeep max 2 months would piss off most people who have deeds 100% you can bet on it.

Edited by Protunia

You need a physical stamp with that red -1, that would be pretty cool. Feels good to see Protunia '-1s' again.

+1 at an upkeep cap.  I have seen friends and foes both have years of upkeep on their dead deeds, hogging land when they have not logged in for years.

2 months is too short a time though.  Perhaps 12 months?

+1 at an upkeep cap.  I have seen friends and foes both have years of upkeep on their dead deeds, hogging land when they have not logged in for years.

If they paid for it, it's theirs and you have no claim to it regardless of how long it's been since they've logged in.

If they paid for it, it's theirs and you have no claim to it regardless of how long it's been since they've logged in.

True.  But it does prevent that land from being used by somebody who has quit the game.  Nothing wrong with a 1 year cap on upkeep.

Bad idea to put any limit at all upon how much upkeep can be placed into the deed coffers for a number of reasons. Those who have placed their deeds have paid for this option that is open to anyone who plays the game, which is important income to support the game. Then the additional funds that they put into upkeep also is an important income source for the game. The ability to pay in advance on an unlimited basis also encourages players to feel secure in the time and effort they have devoted to building their deeds in that they will not "vanish" under some unforeseen circumstances that RL might put them into. This enables players with deeds who pay upkeep months in advance to live the rest of their lives with more freedom of choice in any absence they may take from the game for various reasons.

I have a deed on Deliverance that I placed across the lake from Green Dog on the day the server opened. Yes, I see it as a prime location and I have devoted much time to it over the years since then. This is also one of the benefits of being a long term player who prepares themselves for events such as this. You can bet that the upkeep on this deed is always paid many many months in advance and I have no intention of letting it disband due to any circumstances that may arise in RL. When moving or traveling the upkeep will be checked and paid for even more months longer in advance that usual. No doubt there are other players who have placed deeds in similar desired locations who have had them for years longer than mine on Independence. The payment of upkeep in advance gives security to these long time player investments within the Wurm lands and those proceeds over the years have supported the game as well.

But this is just all common sense and not hard to figure out. The shorter term perspective of those who desire what the longer term players have acquired previous to their arrival should not be catered to in the suggestion that the OP proposed here. This merely rewards those who have put much less time, devotion, effort and finances into the game that those long term players with deeds with upkeep paid in advance with as much monies that they wish to *invest* into the game in this manner. Even in the basic financial aspects of limiting game income it makes no sense to adopt this proposition. A rather shallow idea with little though put into the detrimental effects upon long term player retention and financial profitability.

=Ayes=