Sign in to follow this  
Dashiva

READ BEFORE POSTING: How to handle different types of crashes

Java crash

When the game window disappears suddenly and nothing else appears, java has crashed. Look for a file named HS_ERR_PID, probably on your desktop. Post that file in a thread. Also post your console.log. Make sure you don't restart the game before posting the console log, since that will replace the old one.

If the cause is not immediately obvious (e.g. mentioned below) you should also enable debug mode and try launching the game again. Post the one or two crash files created from this as well.

Wurm crash

When the game window disappears and is replaced by a small crash window, the game client has crashed. Copy the contents of the text field and post them in a thread.

If the window says "Disconnected" or "Connection denied", it's not a crash as such. Consider that the server may be down or restarting, that you may be banned, that your password or username may be wrong, etc.

Wurm freeze

If the window doesn't disappear, but stops responding, the game client has crashed in a bad way. The window might be completely white, or it could just show the same image forever, the exact freeze state varies.

If this happens after you press the play button, locate the console.log in your Wurm directory and post that in a thread. If it happens before you press the play button, the console.log has not yet been written to file, so you have to enable the java console. For windows, this is control panel -> java -> advanced -> console. Enable console, start the game again, and copy the contents of the console window when the program freezes.

General advice

If you care about ensuring your computer can keep playing Wurm in the future as well, take time to test the test clients. Play with debug mode enabled a day or two every month and report any crashes it causes. If a problem remains unfixed, keep reporting it for new client versions - if the reports stop coming, the problem is assumed to have fixed itself. At the same time, don't expect any given bug to be fixed - if it isn't fixed there's probably a reason for it. You just make sure that reason isn't lack of reporting.

• Like 6

Thanks dash, I know this will come in handy for many players.

Also, can we get this put as a "sticky"?

Hi all, I'm very new to wurm, I played for about 2 weeks in 2009, but thats all.

My problem is that the Wurm window disappears after mere seconds of gameplay.

I've tried lowering all of my graphical specs but that has barely helped, and only gained me a few additional seconds.

From what I've read on these forums, it very much seems to be a Java crash.

However, I cannot find a HS_ERR_PID file on my desktop or anywhere else on my laptop.

I've tried reinstalling the newest Java, and restarting my laptop, but neither of these have seemed to work.

Lastly, I am unsure where to find my console and log, so directions for these would also be helpful.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Nicholson.

Console.log is in your wurm folder. Default wurm installation tends to be in C:\Users\yourloginname\Wurm

Most laptops have an intel graphicschips., which often has problems with VBO. Disable VBO in the compatibility tab of settings and see if it runs.

Disable VBO and try again

How do I do that on Vista? They've got all the innards of drivers and operating systems hidden so some idiot doesn't delete them by accident. My dad tried to find it and he couldn't either.

Hello, I cannot seem to launch the game at all. I click on the Java client (which I just downloaded) and it opens up the launcher. From there I get this message.

1zgvtpg.jpg

I click ok, and then the app closes. I have just updated java so I don't know what the problem is. Here is my Java information:

16c73wo.jpg

I am running a Mac, if that means anything.

From what I can tell your limited to which version of Java you run on particular versions of the Mac OS, Make sure you have ' Mac OS X 10.6.4' or as near as.

From what I can tell your limited to which version of Java you run on particular versions of the Mac OS, Make sure you have ' Mac OS X 10.6.4' or as near as.

Therein lies the problem :P I was on version 5, I've haven't updated the software since I got the thing :blink: If I can get the right update that should solve it! Thanks :)

Switch sound to software or turn it off

I dont have the option to switch to software...its greyed out and stuck to hardware

You can only change that option in the launcher, before logging in to the game.

For those struggling to play wurm on ATI cards (mostly Linux) fear not anymore ! Just use the 64 bit version of your linux distribution and u will get the 64 bit version of ATI's proprietary drivers which apparently seem to work flawlessly... even comparing to windows 7 64 bit.

The following error means your using a graphics driver that isn't capable of OpenGL which this game requires.

Could not create display with selected width and height.

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

Find out if you have an NVidia, ATI or Intel graphics card, then download and install the latest driver from their website.

just a queation... how can i fix the  java.nio.BufferUnderflowException  error?

just a queation... how can i fix the   java.nio.BufferUnderflowException   error?

Post the full console.playername.log from your wurm folder, please.

When you start wurm you get the login screen. Click the settings button and click 'Compatibility' Here is where you will find the FBO and VBO settings.

I've downgraded to Java 6u33, but when I open Wurm, it tells me that it's unable to run the application. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: the Java Console tells me

#### Java Web Start Error:
#### Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system
Unsigned resource: http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jar

Edited by lynaa

Fixed! I had to delete the Java 7 cache. Thank you very much!

Someone help please. The main error is the pixel format is not accelerated. Can somone tell me what it is and how to fix it? Please help.

Someone help please. The main error is the pixel format is not accelerated. Can somone tell me what it is and how to fix it? Please help.

Update your graphic card driver from the manufacturer, the windows default doesn't support OpenGL

Unexpected crash while launching login The error was: <no lwjgl in java.library.path>

Client crash

unexpected crash while launching login

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lwjgl in java.library.path

remove Wurm from the java webstart cache (javaws -viewer) and redownload

Unexpected crash while launching login The error was: <no lwjgl in java.library.path>

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the full log on the wurm online forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Contents of temporary launch log:

Time is Wed Dec 26 12:55:58 EST 2012

Running client version 3.1.76

=== System information ===

Executing from C:\Windows\system32\

Operating system: Windows 7 (arch: amd64, version: 6.1)

Java version: 1.6.0_37 (Sun Microsystems Inc.) &lt;http://java.sun.com/>

Jvm version: 20.12-b01 (Sun Microsystems Inc.) [Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM]

Available CPUs: 2

>>> Main thread exiting.

Loading character derickboy

Loading config

Loading props file C:\Users\USERNAME\wurm\configs\gamesettings.txt

====== CLIENT CRASH ======

Unexpected crash while launching login

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lwjgl in java.library.path

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:73)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:66)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:95)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:112)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:132)

at class.aQ.<init>(SourceFile:47)

at class.aQ.a(SourceFile:30)

at class.ap.a(SourceFile:100)

at class.ap.a(SourceFile:87)

at class.ap.<init>(SourceFile:32)

at class.av.<clinit>(SourceFile:73)

at class.jB.d(SourceFile:325)

at class.jB.c(SourceFile:297)

at class.jB.a(SourceFile:100)

at class.kH.<init>(SourceFile:101)

at class.kJ.run(SourceFile:793)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Clear the java webstart cache and try again. ("javaws -uninstall" to remove all Java webstart applications)

Try updating your intel graphics drivers. The latest on http://downloadcenter.intel.com is version 2827, you seem to run 2476.

VBO has been disabled already. You may want to turn down the textures sizes too.