Sign in to follow this  
Saroman

The Crate Of Holding

If you plan to use a raft as a disposable boat then you may as well use a disposable character xD

I thought thieves like un-scorched loot? :P

Thieves like the smoky flavor it adds, or so Ive been told. :ph34r:

Rafts will prob stick around for while depending on what the limitations on crates are.

Edited by Klaa

Since we want them to start replacing rafts for bulk transports...

Does that mean that the rafts will be taken out of the game? You guys just upgraded how they look and the ability pull them in the water is still useful in some situations.

Nah, afaik rafts will stay ingame. The devs are simply providing crates, which will serve the same function that rafts were pretty much drafted into: containers for stowing cargo in larger vessels and carts.

Edited by Klaa

Rafts was never intended to be used in the way it is now, it was however not changed due to it needed something to replace it or things would just be more of a hassle.

This brings to mind, what was the original intention for rafts then? To pull around behind you like little floaty toys? They can't be stood upon and actually used as rafts. Maybe this was the intent? To bask lazily upon them floating upon the waters on a cool autumn day perhaps? Not that it matters much I suppose, lest the revelation slowly eat away at Wurm's mysterious ways that must remain tightly sealed against the penetration of logic.

*knocks on wood curiously*

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Well small floating carts was the idea behind rafts, I personally think that rather then removing them this functionality should be enhanced so that it is more useful that way, the need to drag them could possibly be removed and just make them small one man "boats". But as I said any changes to them is in the future so they will still be usable in the way they are now.

They won't go obsolete over night and hopefully never entirely, there will just be other options.

• Like 3

Looks like a fantastic idea for shipping mail in.  Any mail.  With guaranteed return if undelivered.

Well small floating carts was the idea behind rafts, I personally think that rather then removing them this functionality should be enhanced so that it is more useful that way, the need to drag them could possibly be removed and just make them small one man "boats". But as I said any changes to them is in the future so they will still be usable in the way they are now.

They won't go obsolete over night and hopefully never entirely, there will just be other options.

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification.

Rafts being dragged in water is still something that some of us use. There are situations where they come in quite handy in that respect. I would hate to see that functionality go away down the road.

Perhaps crates can replace rafts as storage containers that we use in carts. For boats, perhaps we can have both crates and rafts. Rafts fit perfectly into the nautical theme, as one could just use them to transport cargo in large ships, moor the ship away from shore and shallow waters and then drop a raft with items for delivery in the water and drag it or row it to the client onshore, leaving it there.

Just throwing ideas here. But rafts being draggable in water is still a great thing, so hopefully that remains forever.

Edited by Valdor

Small BSB. Yay, finally!

I wonder if they actually took my advice on that one or if they had to come up with it themselves (;

You mean my advice?  I've been posting about small portable bulk bins for a very long time.

In summary different volumed-based-size bins (large = raft, medium = backpack/barrel, small = satchetl) which weight as much as whatever is inside + the bin itself. Its a rigid container so it consumes the same volume regardless of contents. No restrictions on what can go in side or how you pickup and carry. Its just a box after all.

Erikn.......Please use a either-or logic regarding load. If the toon has the strenght they can pick it up, else use load. Allow putting these on merchants too.

The lid of the crate is larger than it's base. Such a crate would get damaged easily or have the lid spring off if handled roughly.

Usually the lid of a crate fits inside the box base, this also allows them to be stacked right against each other on the sides for more stability.

qgO6MBQ.png

Why not being able to drag rafts while on a boat? Like horses, but accross server borders. It could lower the total speed a bit. 

Does this have something to do with the new feature of being able to load big stuff (forges, etc) onto carts? :P

hope is usefull as bsb 

I hope not that much......

Nice Work Though! :D

Does this have something to do with the new feature of being able to load big stuff (forges, etc) onto carts? :P

Not directly, but they complement each other nicely.

Thank you for the insight into their intended use, which would not be a bad way to go with them in the future.

=Ayes=

Awesome crates ! Very much looking forward to building these.

As for repurposing rafts:

Make them embarkable as passenger, so you can mount to regain stamina from swimming. It's a raft not a rowboat, it doesn't HAVE to go anywhere. And it might turn out to be essential kit if diving is ever brought in.

If embark as commander is enabled, might be nice if you have to activate a oar in order to scull slowly about. Currently oars are only a building component, you never USE one.

I do like the idea of being able to pull rafts from a boat as we can lead swimming creatures now, this is not the first time I've heard the suggestion.

A note on food transportation/preservation:

Ice is always used IRL to preserve perishables on long journeys. As we can already build snowmen in the winter season, I'd love if we could gather snow/ice from tiles to put in containers. If ice took damage before anything else in the container, it would act as a preservative until it had all 'melted', but could only be gathered in the winter season, so would act as a resource 'seasonal crop'. Food would slowly become frozen - inedible until thawed. Might be a good way to start the coding for chill-factor.

Edited by Drayka
  • Like 2

I hope not that much......

Nice Work Though! :D

as i says...   create + boat  + cart...   small bsb for our travelers :D

I really like drayka's idea for the raft being used as a sort of portable stamina platform.

These crates look awesome though! Best start stocking up on planks to make some :D

Even the small boats are for three people, so having a raft for one person would fit nicely.

Even the small boats are for three people, so having a raft for one person would fit nicely.

I think they should let the small crates fit in the smaller boats or like you say a few rafts 

I think you misunderstood that, we were talking about alternative uses for rafts and I meant that rafts should be able to take one passenger, because small boats can take three passengers.

Also rafts, small boats and small carts all have the same cargo space, so they shouldn't fit into each other, but I agree with you, they all should fit at least one small crate.

Edited by Keldun

There will be two types of crates, small and large. They will be small bulk containers with a fixed item limit, I am currently trying to balance them so that even the small ones will be a little better then the rafts for bulk transportation.

Since they are made for transportation of bulk goods I would say it's ok for then to be loaded when full, but I am not sure yet.

I have yet to decide what skill will be used when making them and how high it will have to be as a minimum.

Fine Carpentry, give that skill some love.

they are on test server now the act like a bsb but with an item limit of 150 for small 300 for large(ie: 300 rock shards or 300 tar or 300 peat)

Can we please have room for one animal in the large ones? (just for same server to keep it simple ofc)

Edit: Or maybe even a special animal one of its own built with like iron bars and wood something like that. 

+1