Sign in to follow this  
Saroman

The Crate Of Holding

My only hope is that our rather long testing period has weeded out all or at least most of the severe/critical bugs so that the update will be smooth now. 

The nerves are starting to kick in now, have a feeling I will not do much sleeping tonight.

Before restart with all new stuff it might be a good idea to ask Rolf turn of decay first :)

incase something "bad" happen

wish all the team working with the update good luck :)

Well they should be using the same system because the items inside is typed as bulk items.

Large cart, 5 small crates or 3 large crates.

Wagon, 16 small crates or 9 large crates.

Cog, 51 small crates or 29 large crates.

Knarr, 75 small crates or 43 large crates.

Corbita, 85 small crates or 49 large crates.

Caravel, 100 small crates or 62 large crates.

Some are stating they can put crates into rafts........is this intended?

Edited by Protunia

Small crates 150 items, Large crates 300 items.

These numbers seem wrong compared to the test server. You can see from the images here: http://imgur.com/a/YjDKe#0

I have tried to add items (of varying size, weight, volume etc) to all 9 carts and every single one said it couldn't fit any more in them. Either there is a global limit for a Waggon or the numbers are not this.

Well they should be using the same system because the items inside is typed as bulk items.

The system bulk is still buggy, some items lost wight and is destroyed. And Crates too?

These numbers seem wrong compared to the test server. You can see from the images here: http://imgur.com/a/YjDKe#0

I have tried to add items (of varying size, weight, volume etc) to all 9 carts and every single one said it couldn't fit any more in them. Either there is a global limit for a Waggon or the numbers are not this.

Or the test server has an older version of the code that doesn't have the updated values?  Just offering a third option.

Or the test server has an older version of the code that doesn't have the updated values?  Just offering a third option.

I'd be curious to why you would have an old version on your test server, however Wogic says that the third option is normally right.

Does this statement mean that small and large crates will prevent decay on the same basis that those bins do? As for rafts, I see mine taking their RIP in trash bins after I get some crates built to take their place. Then again it may be a good idea just to dump them somewhere on deed to see if there might be some future enhancement made to them to make them of some further use, otherwise these crates will surely be a much superior option to them.

=Ayes=

They won't hold non-bsb items. Meaning you may want a raft or two to make room for regular items if you're not going for bulk transport, unless for wagon it ignores the 100 item limit. I think you can fit 22 rafts in large wagon. I was using large carts with 7 rafts as storage, guess I'll get a wagon with 22 instead.

I'd be curious to why you would have an old version on your test server, however Wogic says that the third option is normally right.

There is more than one test server, the developers are working on bridges on one.  We, the players, don't have access to all of them.  :)  See this thread for comments by Seara on the subject:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/95668-how-to-test-on-the-test-server-now/

Her first reply in that thread is pretty relevant to the discussion here.

Hmm tested it out now again, managed to cram in 2700 dirt in crates inside a wagon and an additional 23 dirt on the side, when did you try this out was it recently?

It's possible that drag and drop could trigger the wrong code at some point, or perhaps it's triggering some other code when it contains a mix of item types.

It could also be that it has triggered the wrong code when the crate is inside the wagon, have you tried filling up the crates before loading them on the wagon?

Small crates 150 items, Large crates 300 items.

Out of curiousity, if the cog is a larger ship than the knarr by all dimensions (hull length and width, deck space, draft, height), why can the knarr carry so much more? Considering that the knarr is based on a shallow draft raiding boat, a personnel transport, wouldn't it make far more sense for the knarr to have cargo capacity comparable to say, the wagon? This seems to further reinforce the knarr as the only worthwhile ship on the epic cluster once you can get out of a sailboat.

• Like 1

While i salute most changes, the new crates (although shiny!) defy even the most basic realism and logic (even wogic for that matter)

If the crates disregard volume completely it means every crate can hold 300 logs...while a BSB can only hold 200 (and BSBs have volume 16000). In a wagon you can fit logs that would fill 13.5 BSBs...or 2700 logs which is insane and actually horrid as it is WAY WAY WAY far out even from wurms reality (large carts were able to carry 73 logs, now if they can fit 3 large crates they can carry 900?????).

You need some sort of reality check here..you cannot go from 320 or so rock shards in a fully loaded cart (with rafts) to 900 (300% increase???) with the crates

Naturally different calculations but the same applies for small crates as well. 

It's just too much, please introduce volume calculations to crates.

Second issue: crates are extremely easy to make, rafts extremely hard for their capacity...should be the other way around....

Third issue: loading of full crates should also be a factor of your body strength or another body stat like the formula for dragging a large cart...it is very unreasonable to be able to load a crate with 7000kg in it already in anything (cart or boat)

For the haters: Wurm is supposed to be a sandbox lodged in the times of myth and magic, there were no super carriers even in such mystical times (i think the closest Wurm resembles to is the series Merlin). Rolf himself said to shoot him if he ever adds gunpowder - so along those lines such huge "progress" is not really appreciated for the impression wurm wants to leave (which is what attracted most players to start with)

Does it contain

A: The Wurm

B: Many, many kittens

C: Whatever you put inside

D: More crates

?

I'm now going to call this the Wurmian matryoshka doll.  Open the crate to reveal a smaller crate painted with wildcats, then one painted with dogs, then bears, spiders, and unicorns.  But don't open the last one or you'll lose 2 skill points across the board. 

Do the new crates average out the quality of contents the way BSBs do or keep original quality the way rafts do?  If it avgs it out, in some situations, rafts may be the better option..

Do the new crates average out the quality of contents the way BSBs do or keep original quality the way rafts do?  If it avgs it out, in some situations, rafts may be the better option..

They work like BSBs in every way except volume from what I gather.  I haven't used them yet so I'm going off what I've been reading on here.  So they would average out.

Although I can not state for certain through experience, my bet would be that they act in the same manner as rafts, being mainly transporters of items rather than acting as bulk storage bins and averaging quality of the contents placed within them. I think this whole way of referring to them in terms of bulk bins is somewhat of a misnomer and that they do not act in the same manner in terms of functions. We shall see soon enough anyway.

=Ayes=

instead of nurfing the crates, maybe increase the capacity of logs into a BSB, i've always hated only being able to store 200 logs into a bsb :/

Please though, don't nerf the crates. We just got them, and i'd really enjoy not needing a giant warehouse worth of BSBs to hold a couple thousand logs. Realism or not, its frustrating that I can hold enough dirt to create an island, but in that same amount of storage I cannot hold the logged trees that would cover it.

Edited by Xor
  • Like 2

it means every crate can hold 300 logs...while a BSB can only hold 200 (

Second issue: crates are extremely easy to make, rafts extremely hard for their capacity...should be the other way around....

Third issue: loading of full crates should also be a factor of your body strength or another body stat like the formula for dragging a large cart...it is very unreasonable to be able to load a crate with 7000kg in it already in anything (cart or boat)

For the haters: Wurm is supposed to be a sandbox lodged in the times of myth and magic, there were no super carriers even in such mystical times (i think the closest Wurm resembles to is the series Merlin). Rolf himself said to shoot him if he ever adds gunpowder - so along those lines such huge "progress" is not really appreciated for the impression wurm wants to leave (which is what attracted most players to start with)

First, small crates cannot hold 300 logs, they hold 150, so your first statement I've quoted is incorrect.

Second, large crates, the ones that hold 300 items, require 60 carpentry, hard requirement, to make. Rafts, comparatively, take 1. ONE. 1.0000 shipbuilding, to make. Your second issue is incorrect.

"for the haters", you had no issue with the knarr, and similar boats holding absolutely ridiculous amounts of items, including logs, rafts, etc, but all of a sudden, once wagons can hold 1/6th of what a boat that in RL, had less cargo capacity than them, that's an issue with realism? You might want to check YOUR facts, before you criticize wurm...

• Like 3