Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

More On The Chaos Server Situation

Option F - Rollback all servers to the last maintenance restart from before the attack, the last planned maintenance restart that had notification in-game.

Everyone who was not online is presumably in a safe place.  Everyone who was on had the usual 10 minute warning to get to safety.

Even if this was as far back as Tuesday of last week - yes, everyone will have lost things, lost time, lost skills, etc., I won't be happy about that either - but it does put everyone on an equal playing field.  Solves the raid issue, solves everyone else's issue whether they be PvE or PvP, avoids decay/harvesting/whatever that people are complaining about, and more.  And, the reason I mention Tuesday (though I assume there are more recent saves from like Thursday or Friday, but I have no idea), is that we all did get 7 days of premium time - so, in essence, from a business standpoint, no harm, no foul.

Everyone equally pissed off, at any rate...for whatever that's worth.  It's what I've seen other games do in the past when there was extended downtime to avoid these kind of polarizing "one side vs. the other" or "I lost my shinies" or whatnot.

I don't like it either, a ton of work between Tuesday and Saturday that I would need to re-do - but, again, it's even-handed.  

OR, we all accept, like adults, like real life, that unexpected, sometimes devastating, sometimes tragic, sometimes wonderful ###### happens, and move on from wherever the server is at when it comes back up, without the need for further ado.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure

Seems like you simply weren't online when this happened so you don't have your facts straight -- the server shutdown was not scheduled, it was a DDOS attack. Nobody had any warning.

Seems like you simply weren't online when this happened so you don't have your facts straight -- the server shutdown was not scheduled, it was a DDOS attack. Nobody had any warning.

That's not what I'm saying at all.  I'm saying roll back to the last time the server was intentionally taken down, prior to the DDoS attack - whether that be 2, 3, 5 days, whatever.

Or, leave everything as is - more of a rhetorical argument.

Yeah registered today and first post, doesn't sound fishy at all.

It's not like the most posts win.

Edited by Cecci

Yeah registered today and first post, doesn't sound fishy at all.

Yes, I can see why it'd be fishy. I'm a free-to-player considering going premium and this thread was really interesting to me. I thought it could use a third parties input. I play on Serenity but haven't done too much. No need to be nastily passive-aggressive. I really don't give a ###### about either faction, just seems to be a lot of people on the defensive side trying to get whatever leg up they can in a raid that SEEMS to have been a done deal.

• Like 2

Yes, I can see why it'd be fishy. I'm a free-to-player considering going premium and this thread was really interesting to me. I thought it could use a third parties input. I play on Serenity but haven't done too much. No need to be nastily passive-aggressive. I really don't give a ###### about either faction, just seems to be a lot of people on the defensive side trying to get whatever leg up they can in a raid that SEEMS to have been a done deal.

Yeah, I wish that they were actually trolling too. They desperately want to get back at MR for being caught with their pants down in a legitimate raid.

• Like 1

Option D - Mainly because their tears will sustain me until the servers come back up.

[04:26:56] <Horton> we need to start getting back

[04:34:17] Reconnecting Blinksyrevived! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[04:34:18] You are not invulnerable now.

[04:34:18] 77 other players are online. You are on Chaos (735 totally in Wurm).

[04:34:18] Gav reconnected.

[04:34:18] Kernelleonessar lost link.

[04:34:23] Kernelleonessar reconnected.

[04:34:32] You need to catch your breath, and stop climbing.

[04:34:32] You will no longer climb.

[04:34:33] You need to catch your breath, and stop climbing.

[04:34:33] You will no longer climb.

[04:35:26] Melros drops a crocodile paw.

[04:35:52] Sporkier lost link.

[04:35:52] Chasone lost link.

[04:35:52] Cita lost link.

[04:35:57] Kernelleonessar lost link.

[04:35:58] Gav lost link.

[04:35:58] Chasone reconnected.

[04:35:58] Gav reconnected.

[04:36:33] Cita reconnected.

[04:36:48] You will now fight normally.

[04:37:30] Reconnecting Blinksyrevived! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[04:37:31] You are not invulnerable now.

[04:37:31] 69 other players are online. You are on Chaos (697 totally in Wurm).

[04:37:31] Gav reconnected.

[04:37:35] Rhazul left the world.

[04:38:05] You will now fight normally.

[04:40:34] You will now fight normally.

[04:41:49] You will now fight normally.

[04:43:17] You will now fight normally.

[04:43:43] Reconnecting Blinksyrevived! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[04:44:01] You are not invulnerable now.

[04:44:01] 58 other players are online. You are on Chaos (586 totally in Wurm).

[04:44:35] You will now fight normally.

[04:45:05] You will now fight normally.

Logging started 2013-11-09

[04:57:39] You will now fight normally.

[05:00:58] You will now fight normally.

[05:02:39] You will now fight normally.

[05:02:42] Reconnecting Blinksyrevived! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[05:02:46] You are not invulnerable now.

[05:02:46] 53 other players are online. You are on Chaos (407 totally in Wurm).

[05:02:50] Cita reconnected.

[05:03:00] Gav reconnected.

[05:03:03] Caoimhe left the world.

[05:03:07] Sporkier reconnected.

[05:03:10] You will now attempt to climb steep areas.

[05:03:20] Chasone left the world.

[05:03:30] You will no longer climb.

[05:03:30] Kernelleonessar lost link.

[05:03:31] You will now attempt to climb steep areas.

[05:03:32] You will no longer climb.

[05:03:33] Kernelleonessar reconnected.

[05:03:41] You leave The Damned.

[05:04:57] You will now fight normally.

[05:05:09] Reconnecting Blinksyrevived! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[05:05:10] You are not invulnerable now.

[05:05:10] 48 other players are online. You are on Chaos (389 totally in Wurm).

[05:07:26] Gav lost link.

[05:07:26] Serpentgal lost link.

[05:07:26] Caoimhe lost link.

[05:07:26] Cita lost link.

[05:08:08] You will now fight normally.

[05:08:31] You will now fight normally.

[05:11:44] You will now fight normally.

[05:11:45] Reconnecting Blinksyrevived! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[05:11:45] You are not invulnerable now.

[05:11:45] 44 other players are online. You are on Chaos (380 totally in Wurm).

[05:12:14] Cita lost link.

[05:12:15] Cita reconnected.

[05:12:26] You will now fight normally.

[05:12:28] Reconnecting Blinksyrevived! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[05:12:28] You are not invulnerable now.

[05:12:28] 43 other players are online. You are on Chaos (387 totally in Wurm).

[05:12:48] Sporkier lost link.

[05:12:49] Sporkier reconnected.

[05:12:49] Cita lost link.

[05:12:53] Cita reconnected.

[05:13:09] You enter the cave.

[05:13:30] Cita lost link.

[05:13:34] Cita reconnected.

[05:14:39] You will now fight normally.

[05:14:47] Reconnecting Blinksyrevived! Wurm has been waiting for you.

[05:15:13] You are not invulnerable now.

[05:15:13] 44 other players are online. You are on Chaos (395 totally in Wurm).

[05:15:30] Cita reconnected.

Edited by emoticondnd

Funny how everyone is trying to abuse the server crash to screw jk.

There is nothing to screw, they where already screwed. Flip that coin and get it right.

If the crash would not have happened, we would have ran through that deed like a bulldozer. We where already in the middle of the deed at token, all the defenders logged off etc. Then a couple of minutes after it started lagging alot, we tried to get out, then crash.

We would have gotten more loot, but now we only ask to leave with the loot we have. It's a win - win, imo.

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 1

They were screwed before the server crashed dude. The loot is already safe at Kratos so they cant save anything now. The only thing they want to do is wall inn the rest of our guys that are still trapped on deed.

Edited by emoticondnd

Based off the past precedent of GoTL, LoG, and your poor turn out at the damned, we were going to wreck that deed. Sorry, but those are the facts.

Crazy how people think they should be entitled to walk away with everything unhindered. Option D at the minimum

The deed was breached, defenders did logout while attackers kept going inside the deed. One MR died digging and one JK was slain by a sword.

There is no way anyone of us can predict what would have happened and deciding a "winner" here would ony be possible by putting up a scoreboard and start counting.

The only fair would be that both team losses and not roll everyone back to a previous state. I get the point Mirax does though and maintaining a game isn't perhaps to decide what is fair and not...

It seems most are going continue to argue about this...

Best options seems to be D due to the fact some people seems to think there would have been different outcomes. But if D is the choice a set date and time needs to be put into place for everyone to arrange to have a chance to be online.

Option F - Rollback all servers to the last maintenance restart from before the attack, the last planned maintenance restart that had notification in-game.

Everyone who was not online is presumably in a safe place.  Everyone who was on had the usual 10 minute warning to get to safety.

Even if this was as far back as Tuesday of last week - yes, everyone will have lost things, lost time, lost skills, etc., I won't be happy about that either - but it does put everyone on an equal playing field.  Solves the raid issue, solves everyone else's issue whether they be PvE or PvP, avoids decay/harvesting/whatever that people are complaining about, and more.  And, the reason I mention Tuesday (though I assume there are more recent saves from like Thursday or Friday, but I have no idea), is that we all did get 7 days of premium time - so, in essence, from a business standpoint, no harm, no foul.

Everyone equally pissed off, at any rate...for whatever that's worth.  It's what I've seen other games do in the past when there was extended downtime to avoid these kind of polarizing "one side vs. the other" or "I lost my shinies" or whatnot.

I don't like it either, a ton of work between Tuesday and Saturday that I would need to re-do - but, again, it's even-handed.  

OR, we all accept, like adults, like real life, that unexpected, sometimes devastating, sometimes tragic, sometimes wonderful ###### happens, and move on from wherever the server is at when it comes back up, without the need for further ado.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure

i dont agree with a rollback that far rollback should be to the point of the crash no farther....because people have established deeds or bought coin or spent it and ill be damned if my money i spent ons hit is going to waste...and rollback should go back for alls ervers tot he crash anyways because people will be losing horses and everything that they were doing...a rollback to teh crash point is the best option..as for the pvp raid..option b or c or d can still be in effect after the rollback because if the game crashed during the raid they will still be raiding if game is rolled back to the time of the crash....

I think at this point it's pretty damn obvious that no-one is going to be happy with any outcome. In which case the "fairest" option (or least unfair) has to be D. Just work on getting the game up and ignore the whiners on all sides.The Human species is immensely adaptable, people will move on, pick up the pieces and get on with life. Within a couple of weeks hardly anyone will even care and it avoids setting a potentially difficult precedent.

D

Double post.

Edited by Tiu

Either C or D, I don't mind logging back in when everyone else does and taking more loot! fine by me.

Pvp is always going to be affected on the whim of server lag, disconnects and other internet problems. How often does someone claim "lag" as a reason for losing a fight on the forums? Or lack of deed defense on different timezones? Everyone laughs it off, but nobody really expects Rolf and team to intervene, reset everything, return items etc. The size of the raid and the size of the technical problem should not change that.

I say D. Let the players sort it out.  Some people refuse to attack players that lose link in a fight, although it seems less common these days. :( In that vein if I were in charge of the defending deed I would count myself lucky the server went down when it did, and I would allow the attackers to retreat items intact.

I've read all the posts in all the threads and MR makes an extremely compelling case that they were going to pretty much take everything.  Any posts to the contrary simply don't seem credible with the understanding I currently have of how pvp works.  Educate me JK on how you were going to reverse the situation.  I saw the orb of doom mentioned in one of the ealier threads but it seemed pretty clear that was not a realistic option.  

Now, for my two cents worth, if games were like rl, option D would be it.  Stuff happens.  The best laid plans can have problems just because stuff happens.  Given Chaos is suppossed to have an element of uncertainty, a very strong case for option D.  MR has stated they will accept it on the first page of this thread.  JK has stated that if MR hadn't whined about needing a free ride home, the argument would never have started and option D would therefore have happened naturally.  It seems acceptable to both sides and is therefore the solution.

However, games are not rl and therefore a bit more can be done.  My suggestion is option D with a twist.  Rolf should do something nice for MR.  Clearly they won a great victory here that was only prevented from being total by events.  Rolf could plant a statue in the middle of the main JK cities for the next 6 months or something, proclaiming the glory of MR or something like that.

With "everyone" whining about PvP, may I point out (as others have probably also done), that not everyone on the server participates in PvP and might just lose a lot of skillgain on option A?

Whilst no one can say for sure what would have happened if the servers hadn't gone down, I wouldn't consider option D as "fair"... It's safe to say that the main reason this raid started out so well was that we had the element of surprise, which we have clearly now lost. The defenders were outnumbered, and whilst I respect them for trying with such numbers, they logged out leaving just alts on and the raid continued. Option D would not be "fair pvp" it would be a game of "who can log in the fastest". I see people saying "what's wrong with D if you were leaving anyway?" We were leaving with just alts in local on the JK side (who, forgive me if I'm wrong, didn't look like they were about to come out to fight us and defend), and with our whole force online and intact (minus one player who died due to falling as far as I can gather). So maybe JK had a force on the way and would have defended better if the servers hadn't gone down, but before they got to The Damned MR could have looted a lot more houses and gained a lot more, so that argument swings both ways.

B or C sound best to me. No more looting, and the now scattered MR force have a decent chance instead of being slaughtered by the JK who could by now have a huge force ready to log in and ambush stragglers, which would not have happened if the servers hadn't gone down.

Let's be honest, if the same had happened whilst JK were raiding a large deed under the same circumstances, all of you would be asking for B or C as well.

Edited by Rosie
  • Like 1

No rollbacks.....it only causes more problems then it's worth get things stabilized first and do option B/C for those who were in the raid. If others pets escaped due to that day the servers were still running while we couldn't get on, I'd say have the gms help a bit in recovering those pets. I know it's possible as they've located a horse I lost before without even having a name on it was just fat horse. 

I was surface mining and that takes a hell of a lot of time, a rollback will completely ruin all progress made on that....so do option B/C for the raiders and leave rollbacks completely out of the options.