Sign in to follow this  
Bree

Starting With With Entirely Nothing

Up until now I had always thought it was possible to get yourself going from completely nothing besides the steel and flint that stays with you. I thought that with rummaging and making crude shovels and pickaxes to start you could manage it. I found myself in this situation lately when I took the epic server portal back to Chaos. Unfortunately the spot I returned to was far far from the Gold Coast and I was immediately killed by a bunch of kingdom guards nearby.

I was quickly sent back to the Gold Cost with nothing at all but a steel and flint. It didn't take me that long before I ran into my first problem. I could forage for a branch to use as a shaft, but I couldn't create a handle without a carving knife, and I couldn't create a carving knife without a handle.

It really got me to wondering. Is it actually possible to start with nothing but a steel and flint, without being given anything by anyone?

It may be, yes. I have not tried it myself but, as you mentioned in your OP, with the addition of crude tools and the like it's more possible now than what it was beforehand. 

you don't even need a steel and flint per say. you can make a woodscrap and a kindling and use on each other to make a campfire... there's a great article on the steps to take to get back in working order here: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Crude_tools

Good luck :)

Edited by snakegal
  • Like 2

oh yes! The crude knife was the step I was missing. I did a search on the wiki for knife and didn't catch that. I didn't think of looking up crude tools.

Oh, how I miss those first few days in the game or on a new server having to work yourself up from nothing, living in caves, scavenging old ruins etc. Great fun :)

+1 for Wurm survival games!

The game would fit perfect for such a gameplay.

It is entirely possible and has been done.  I took my Surviverman character to Chaos one time with only a compass (as a convenience - it wasn't necessary and I could do nothing with it but navigate) and within two days I had everything I needed to survive from a combination of scavaging, crude crafting, and just plain tenacity.  

Lone Survival is the hidden gem of Wurm. :)

http://surviverman-on-wurm.blogspot.com/2012/09/adventure-3-chaotic-expedition.html

• Like 1

Oddly enough theres no crude ax, at least for chopping fallen trees into logs.

Plenty of stuff to cut down trees with though.

not saying I am taking credit for crude tools...

But I lobbied damn hard for them :D

glad to see the niche was filled!!!

That sounds fun actually, starting a new character and using absolutely nothing, not even Flint/Steel. I may have to do that sometime.

Surviverman blog was probably the thing that got me hooked into wurm for real. :D

And with the changes that the game mechanics had face in the time since his adventures were made, is now probably more easy to do a such thing.

There is no more unfinished tools, at fails the parts just take dmg instead of crumble to dust, no more iron scraps, etc. Even if flint is still hard to get, steel is perfectly doable for a f2p char.

oh it definitely has been done!  Niev, Levald and I  went to Release on our own Survivorman expedition not long after the server opened up.  It was huge fun (lots of running and screaming)  After we spawned in, we sold/dropped everything and headed out into the wilderness that was Sloping Sands(when it was still just 4 paved tiles and a token).   It took less than a week (with knowledge of what was truly needed because we've been playing for over a year, so we weren't new to the game) to get fire, hot meals and low ql weaponry(Charcoal wasn't hard to get,  thank you lava spiders.  I think the hardest was finding flint.)  

You should try it!

Edited by Melaquinn

It takes like 2 hours to get real tools and the survival scenario falls apart.

It takes like 2 hours to get real tools and the survival scenario falls apart.

Survivorman (the show) was all about continually getting lost in different environments with different challenges to survive...

The whole point is to start new each and every time to keep the lifestyle up.  Once you conquered an environment/challenge... you moved on by abandoning everything again.

Also, the key was to do as little harm to the environment in the process of survival.

• Like 1

We have started a series of videos like this. We dropped everything, we aren't allowed to salvage or take anything that we did make or that someone else has dropped. It's been a blast so far. The only thing that we are using is the use of guard towers, as trying to kill crocs, spiders and the likes is impossible, even with 6 people. Even killing a mountain lion with no weapons takes a hell of a long time.

Making a hatchet is the key, after that things will get a lot easier. 

Anyway, it's a little side project of our we are doing every week, Please check out the vids in the town square.

I know, I know ... you can say "what a necromancery here ... reviving such ancient topic"

But it perfectly fits to this new feature of Wurm Unlimited KangaWU server http://kangawu.com.au/2017/kangawu-adventures/

It is part of WU, so it seems, it should be in another part of this forum. But I think, it could interest Online Wurmians too. It is perfect chance to try "hardcore Survival man playstyle" once again.

I noticed it today and I already know, what I will be doing this weekend :D

( Thanks Budda for wrecking my plan of exploring 270 billions of star systems in Ascent - the space game ... )

I think, it can't be feature of Wurm Online as returning with loot back to Freedom could and should be considered as cheating. Because gathering moon metals and other special things should not be possible such easily on Freedom ...

I'm pretty sure all WO and WU players are welcome to visit KangaWU Adventure. Well, WO players will need to buy WU first, of course.

And many thanks to Budda for such great experimental feature added to my favorite WU server :)

Zak

Edited by Zakerak

At first I thought to myself "this will be some good reason to revive an old thread. But no, no... Its pretty off topic and inane.

OotS-Thread-Necromancer.png