Sign in to follow this  
Sweety

Special Treatament Breaks The Chain Of Trust - Another Op

Hello everyone,

Since the original poster of this problem asked for his post to be closed, I repost here.

What happened? Simply, Bashur got something none of us ever got before - a name change.

Initially I was somehow on Bashur's side... the guy just wanted to return to game after his IP (not character) ban was lifted and a lot of people acted like kiddies who didn't wanted their toys shared with a new guy.

Yet, my ideas are totally changed now. This really looks like a bribe towards the developers. And once a favor was made, there can't be any trust that more and bigger favors won't be done again in the future.

Only two days ago, Rolf himself, said here that:

"we don't handle those judgements differently based on fame or money, for which we are proud." (print screen attached at the bottom of the post for comformity).

What happened in these two days that made Rolf clearly change a rule that is clearly stated on official pages:

1/ Character names cannot be changed , the name you are buying could have a bad reputation in the community , and you may have problems with ongoing interaction with some players because of it. These problems could also involve KOS on some deeds.

Do not enquire to a CM or GM as to this potential problem as they are not in position to advise you, so its player beware.

Now please allow me to quote from another official post of Oracle, from the GMs Hall:

Trust in our GM's is everything. If you have trust you will never be questioned. If you don't have it you can be dismissed with little to no reason. Losing trust is the only reason we need to give. The current GMs are here today because they have our trust and in many cases have had it for years. 

The system is trust based and no rules can cover all situations just give guidelines. Breaking that trust will lose them their position as a GM, and we hope that you are satisfied that we make such decisions. 

Any different system makes way for corruption and position abuse. 

How could we trust that such favors or even bigger ones won't be given again in the future once you break out trust in the first place?

I would really love to see an official position about this.

Later edit: Rolf answered this.

My last thoughts (after finishing selling my account - a decision I took as result of this incident):

I'm sure that for most of us the problem with this decision was not the action itself or its direct consequences; after all everyone knows that IanRose is now named Bashur and he is no PVP star even so.

But the problem is the dangerous precedent it created.

Far now, we are all equals in front of rules. Rich or poor, famous or anonymous, seasoned veteran or first day player - we were all treated exactly the same. Or as Rolf said "we don't handle those judgement differently based on fame or money, for which we are proud". And we were proud of him for acting like this. And although many times we may not have agreed with the rules, we always did respected them, because we knew that they are the same rules for everyone.

Then rules started to be bending for Bashur - we know for sure about the name change, but there are rumors about more than this (like a fast conversion MR - JK - MR so he can take some items out of the bank, direct access line to Rolf / GMs, not having to wait like all of us in line for a few hours so his support tickets are handled, etc). And that was not nice. 

And the name change, it may not sound like a big deal, but it is something that anyone involved in a character trade probably carved for all these years. We all have our favorite names, which maybe we carry from one game to another, and which represent us. Far now we had only two options - buy a high skilled character and live with its name which would not represent us, or pick a name we like, and work out a$s to raise her skills. All of us except Bashur. To be honest that's even worse than allowing him to "buy his skills in a PTW shop"; at least in those case his 700 euros (or whatever he paid for) would have went to CodeClub and towards development, not in another player's pockets.

Now, do we want name changes for everyone? Hello no!

Do we want his name reversed to IanRose? Yeah, that would be nice, but not really care about it either.

What do we want then? Simple... we want Rolf to admit that he made a mistake (he already did), to apologize for it (he didn't, but hey, we all know that you guys are so full of ego that it's hard for you to say the words  :P), but most of all we want him to promise that he will stop doing these things - rules bending, silent changes / nerfs, and at least discuss them with the community first. The final decision is still his, but we want to at least be involved in the decision making process and help by stating our points of view. If this would have happened in this case, the mistake (which he admitted) could have easily be avoided.

And now some final words for some of Rolf's defenders:

To those that say it was not a mistake: It was. Even Rolf admitted.it was a mistake. So stop denying something he admitted himself.

To those that say it's not a big deal, that only a few people complained, that the 54 likes these post got are an insignificant amount, and that the game will benefit more from the influx of new players coming from Bashur's videos: 54 likes may not sound a lot in terms of Facebook, but on our community they made it the most popular post ever (and no, I hold no merit for writing it, just happened to be me and not someone else) which says something about how many people were bothered by this.

And, finally, a question: We saw a lot of pissed off people, we saw a few people quitting, we even saw staff members resigning (at least one). Was it worth? Can someone please tell me how many new premium accounts resulted from the red carpet and the favors handed to Bashur? More important, could someone please tell us two months from now on how many of those players renewed their premium membership?

Cheers,

Alexandra

Rolf.jpg

Edited by Sweety
  • Like 90

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Definitely need an answer from staff, in my opinion.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

That screenshot. That screenshot. Love you. I have saved it to 3 different disks and this just proves that this post was broken already hahaha

• Like 1

I hope people don't derail this topic and give the staff a chance to explain the reasoning behind what they did, and if they are planning on making changes in their policies, favors granted, or rules.

You are not required to read them. And it is not over, there are now a lot of ticked Wurmians who demand explanation. Chances are we will hear something from Rolf himself soon.

This is over, can we stop remaking these posts.

good day 

This is over only if we let it be over.

With the risk of being banned for challenging official decision in public and for berating game officials (although I don't feel that I did that), I made this post.

I think we are entitled to at least the minimal courtesy of receiving an explanations of the first proven favor gave to a player by game officials.

And with all risks involved I will keep figting for this. So help me Vynora!

Edited by Sweety
  • Like 5

Although i too would like to see an explanation, but do they really even have to give us one? Maybe Rolf will log on and say this is between him and Bashur...

With the risk of being banned for challenging official decision in public and for berating game officials (although I don't feel that I did that), I made this post.

And with all risks involved I will keep figting for this. So help me Vynora!

They won't ban us all

Edited by Shads

Why is it ok for one person to be given special treatment, why not the rest of the player base too. What if we all decided that we wanted to change our characters names? We would simply be told no.... But maybe if we bring in a few new players to Wurm too we can have what we want. 

I hope people don't derail this topic and give the staff a chance to explain the reasoning behind what they did, and if they are planning on making changes in their policies, favors granted, or rules.

As a former staff I can tell you that no-one but Rolf made this decision. He did not discuss it with any of his staff.

• Like 1

I'd like to know if this is the reason desertion went down so many times yesterday, the only server to go down, and which happened to be where bashur plays.

• Like 2

As a former staff I can tell you that no-one but Rolf made this decision. He did not discuss it with any of his staff.

Fair enough, but unfortunately it opens the rest of the staff to question as well.  The potential damage done to the overall player trust in the staff was not worth doing a favor that was so publicly visible.

• Like 2

I will risk another warning point myself I believe....I was given one for stating what actions Bashur comitted. 

So be it. The rule was highlighted for me that discussion of what another player did even if it was proven was NOT to be discussed on the forums...Fair enough. 

THEN STAFF posts the exact same information which I was given a warning point for posting! (again risking another point for discussing publically that I was given one, likely falling under the discussing in public thing)

Yeah...everyone is treated equally BS!

• Like 4

I wouldn't quote Rolf or any of his rule. Last time someone did that, I believe they got banned. Can't recall what the topic was about.

I would like to hear Rolfs explanations.

Mind to point out where, Emane? you can send me a forum pm even.

If you mean Wulfgar... do you see a staff tag on him?

If you mean someone else, in another thread, please send me the information. Thank you.

Mind to point out where, Emane? you can send me a forum pm even.

If you mean someone else, in another thread, please send me the information. Thank you.

Why didn't you PM Emane instead of posting here?

• Like 2

The saddest part is that having a YouTube channel is considered famous. 

• Like 10

A favor probably. GMs have done a lot of favors for me, dunno about anyone else. Doubt it's policy. Whatever improves Wurm I say. Adaption has to be a positive thing, I hope Wurm can adapt to meet opportunities and changes head on.

• Like 1

Listen I have talked to Kaih before he seems like one of the most fair CMs I have ever talked to.

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

Is there a different graph for Epic?  If there isn't, and this shows the whole of the game's premium player count, everything about this is ridiculous.  A deluge of posts, deafening uproar, and now this namechange business--all for a guy whose presence hasn't made any impact on the game's playerbase.

The only way I could see this being even a little reasonable would be if he had bought a lot of money through the shop, of which there is precedent for developer intervention.  After all, there was the time a particularly sizeable village on Wild got raided after its founder had purchased a large sum of gold, and deed guards were buffed shortly thereafter.

• Like 4

Said once already, but here goes. "rolf, please open a full on cash shop so those with money can buy all the changes and updates they want. "

/end sarcasm

Think its time to go back to playing something else, sadly.

Edited by AnarchistRise
  • Like 1

Up until yesterday and my guess today, yes.