Sign in to follow this  
skyefox

Is Farming Fair For New Players Now?

New Farming System  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Is the new farming system of 1 harvest per tile fair to new players

• New players with skill level below 20 should go back to the 2 harvest guarantee
    • Requiring new players to struggle to get 2 crops from a tile is fine with me

I feel sorry for new players joining the game with the new farming system.  I have a fairly new alt and it is discouraging to even think about having to rake, rake, rake and get 1 harvest.

I think that skill levels below 20 should go back to the minimum of 2 harvest per tile.  Sure leave it the same for the other skill levels, if you rake you get more, but don't penalize the new player so severely.

• Like 1

You get more crops from foraging then farming now .

But if you go to 2 harvest , then all players should get same option.

• Like 1

The poll wording tends to enforce voting for yes unless you want to be considered a jerk for voting "no"

Might have wanted to try something less "emotionally" worded like:

Should Farming Skill under X level provide 2 yield with no additional raking actions (Yes)  (No)

or

Should Farming Skill under X level provide 2 yield with minimal additional raking actions (Yes)  (No)   [but this could also be considered too vague since it does not give a clear idea of what should be agreed upon as acceptable effort]

While I understand the reason for it, I'll still refrain from voting due to the wording tending towards biased since it should be any player with low skill, and not just to "make new players struggle".

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 5

With Hussars here..not votin while worded with such obvious malice and bais. 

It's fine as it is. Survival only requires a few veggies for a whole day worth of play time, which can easily be foraged in a few minutes.

With a decent sized farm, you can get to 30 farming in a few days, I don't see it as much of an issue.

Edited by Outlaw

It's fine as it is. Survival only requires a few veggies for a whole day worth of play time, which can easily be foraged in a few minutes.

With a decent sized farm, you can get to 30 farming in a few days, I don't see it as much of an issue.

For an established player sure, but a new player would be grinding their teeth realizing they practically wasted a few days just to grow a single potato

malice and bais

also geez, somebody sure is a lil upset about never grinding farming. It's pretty obvious that the farming update is tougher on somebody without a clue than somebody who knows what they are doing, hence the new player part

Edited by san_tropez

Voted to have the minimum 2 harvest returned, we don't need one more frustration that drives new players away.

• Like 4

The Poll is stupid.

-1 to ill intentioned biased Polls.

Edited by Rathgar

i have a F2p and getting with 20 farming and a 25 ql rake 2-3 with raking every day mostly 2's few 3's, this needs to change

I like how rakes effect ql now, but maybe harvests could be buffed a bit. Also, minimum harvest should be two, unless you don't rake at all.

New players generally rake anyway for skill, and get more than 1 per harvest because of it.

Its a horribly worded poll, but the current system seems fine to me.

Malice and bias? Those are very strong words and I see none here. I will instead look to the authors intent and as a seasoned player he sees with this new alt how frustrating it would be for new players to begin farming in its current form. I see nothing wrong with improving the gains for new players or ppl with low skill since don't we want to do small things to encourage/reward them to stay and enjoy our game without giving away the " farm " so to speak?

Its a small thing I vote yes

The question in the topic title has little bearing on the poll.

Yes, the current farming system is entirely 'fair' (more raking = more skill and greater harvest), but whether it is the best thing for the game is debatable.

As for the poll - it is not a struggle to get  2 harvest. 3 is a struggle (I have an account on GV, I get roughly 1 harvest of 1, to 6 or 7 harvests of 2, to 3 or so harvests of 3 and 1 or 2 harvests of 4. This is from raking roughly once a day.

I personally would like to see a min harvest of 2 re-implemented though.

• Like 3

It's not fair for older players, don't see why it should be fair for newer players either. I have to tend 4x to get the yield I did with 1 tend before harvesting pre-patch. Nerf for one, nerf for all.

At 70+ farming it doesn't matter to me personally, but i would hate to be a new farmer and not get the min. 2 yield that I was fortunate enough to get. I would hate it enough to not bother at all, and as such I voted for the 2 harvest min.

I just passed level 30 farming, getting 4, 5 and occasional 6 yield. I am happy. I get enough to eat and to craft with. I am not seeking to harvest and sell enough to pay for my Premium Account, I am happy just playing the game and advancing my skills.

Farming is after all a settled occupation, not really for someone just from the tutorial. And it takes a few passes thru the field every day to get a good yield.

I think anyone should get 2 back regardless if you farm the tile at all during the growing process. I am sure there are casual players that don't log on everyday to farm and need this to get any kind of food going.  

afterall...why should any newbie bother with farming again if they only get 1 back? if they could get alot more from simply botanizing/foraging ? so I agree....i tested it with a noob character raked several times a day with under 10 farming skill and never got more than one which was very very upsetting to make "zero runs" for skilling a skill...though making it a pain in the ass and purely grinding feel

I bet everyone against this "2 minimun yield" are old players that give a dime about lol.

I bet everyone against this "2 minimun yield" are old players that give a dime about lol.

And I bet if you go work at it and rake a few times you get two or more ....... ;)

I also bet if you go forage/bot for awhile you get a bunch too.

Nothing wrong with having to put in some effort to get results farming nothing at all.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

And I bet if you go work at it and rake a few times you get two or more ....... ;)

Nothing wrong with having to put in some effort to get results farming nothing at all.

I don´t farm, even wen i have 70 skill, and i don´t forage or botanize unles for finding some resources like acorns or woad.

But making the life of new players miserable is not a great player retention strategy imho.

Letting them get a minimum yield of 2 is fine, it is enough to let them get by while they learn more about the game.  Even if they want to just be fighters, eventually they will realize that they need good nutrition to fight well, and will start to farm properly to get more skill, and better yields.  No sense in punishing them while they figure out how everything works, the game will punish them 100 other ways if they don't catch on anyway.

• Like 4

If new players cant hack foraging for a bit.....odds are they are not going to be able to handle the rest of the game anyways. So this is far from a player retention issue. If you doubt how easy it is to feed yourself..start a new toon and forage for a bit...your not going to starve...nor come even close to it. Once they have a place and are worrying about nutrition, they can start farming and work their way through the first bit. Its not like it takes much dedication to get to 20 farming anyways. New players face much worse issues than what to eat.

Even if CodeClub had absolute proof positive that this was causing an issue Id give new people a 1 time 20 kilo non decaying 99 ql meal that they could chow down on for a month or so. There is no need to make farming any simpler than it already is.

Sounds to me like this is yet another attempt to get the "Farm for Free" card back.

I say put in a 0 yield. Its supposed to be a game about survival isn't it. Isnt the risk of famine a part of survival...all throughout human history?

Yeah...bring on the 0 yield. ;)

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1