Sign in to follow this  
StrykerZero

Ship Building Questions

So I'm working on ship building and have some questions.  At what ship building skill level should I attempt to make a row boat and then a sail boat?

As far as building the ships securely I've read that a lot of people are building one by one's near the shore and building the ship inside then destroy the writ before the last peice is put in.  Is this the best method?  I've also read about the mine shft with door method but that sounds like more work.  I play on freedom severs, is there a way I can build out in the open without someone coming buy and completing my ship?  Can all ships be dragged to water, is there a body strength requirement?

If I do build in a 1x1 where can I store large items that won't fit in a BSB such as seats?

I've read the wiki but these questions remain un-answered to me.

Thanks

gonna try to answer to your question the best i can. i'm no expert either.

regarding the rowoat and sailboat i beleive you can try at any lvl (mine was about 10 or 12 when i tried rowboat) but at low lvl it might fail more to attach the parts. so takes more time in he end but you get your boat (and improving it helps raise shipbuilding once its done building. it needs to be 10 ql or more to be usable).

for sailboat so long as you got mind logic to comand it i think its the same as rowboat, again might be wrong, i know the materials differ, but regarding needed skill not sure if its a huge difference.

the idea of a 1x1 to build the ships would be good to avoid someone coming by and taking the almost complete ship... i didnt had that issue but i was living in a desert island at the time.

make sure you got some lead for a mooring anchor too so ship wont move if you arent here, and rememer to make a lock for the ship's cargo to not be looted. its not listed in the building materials when you examine but its really important, espetialy if you plan to make your boat your new home while you travel and store all your valuables inside.

regarding dragging.. it can be problematic for big ships like knarr but you can push those so i'd say not a big issue just takes more time. you can drag sailboat and rowboat with ease i beleive. never had trouble with my rowboat and was non prem a lot of the time i needed to drag it.

have to agree that, while more work, a 1x1 would allow you to store more easily and safely items while you build your ship. so if you got a lot of people passing by in your area its a good idea. if the place is deserted... not really needed but can help in case an agresive mob wants to 'play' with you and you arent realy good in a fight (saves a few walks back from FM to body XD)

hope that helps and with a bit of luck someone with more knowledge can tell you exactly for the rowboat and sailboat recomanded shipbuilding

To start making boats you could try getting boat making to around 15 - 20 by improving oars. Then you should have an easy time making a rowboat and possibly a sailboat after a bit more leveling.

Also, if you have no deed to build your boat then I would suggest a 1x1 wooden shack to build your boat in. 

Would a 1x1 fit a larger boat?  What size boats fit in what size  buildings?

Any size can fit in a 1x1 - the model of the ship will simply stick out through the walls (but can't be interacted with).

I would always advise making all the parts for the ship first. Although improving oars is the most common method suggested for skillgain, personally I prefer to make rafts - it is noticeably slower skill-gain but much more useful in the long run.

On freedom it is possible to build the boat in an enclosure (read the game rules for a definition), however this will only stop the people who obey the rules from completing it. A fenced area on-deed (where nobody else has bash permissions) would be secure also.

Important to note that dragging only works if you are very close to water level - you can't drag across higher ground.

Edited by Wraithglow

You can do it with low shipbuilding skill, although as been pointed out it will take a while since it can take multiple tries to attach a part.

The real limitations are clothmaking skill (you need a sail for the sailboat) and ropemaking (mooring rope for the rowboat; cordage and mooring ropes for the sailboat).  You'll need clothmaking somewhere in the 12-15 range for the sail (iirc).  I needed to grind ropemaking up to 20 to be able to make cordage ropes.

Bear in mind that creating it is one thing, then you have to attach everything.

If you create a boat at 10% with 20QL keels, consider that every item you try and attach will also be about 10% chance (assuming 20QL also, if your pegs are 10QL for instance, you'll have even less chance). This gets pretty miserable after a while and why people generally recommend you don't try building a boat as soon as you get the option with your keels.

Ive always found the in-cave method to be the best bet, if the cave floor is very close to water/just under water level, then you can just drag the ship out into the water when complete rather than having to push it.

Ship building is always extreme time consuming.
However, there are three factors that effect the fail rate on attaching, which is the most painful part.
Ql of the item, your shipbuilding skill and the type of boat
Tipps:

• try to use always the best logs in terms of QL to produce pegs/tenon etc
  • once you made them sort out the lowest Ql part so you reach a good average QL and put them in a bulk
  • ask a player with higher WC to cut you some trees
  • improving oars to your skill level is the best to do in terms of skillgain and material use
  • a ship on deed is still the best since building a house increases the time it takes
  • never forget that making the ropes and sails is a pain, so is better to have friends to ask for
  • try to keep your WC as close to SB as possible or even above
  • first boat doesn't have to be a rowing boat, as writen on the wiki
  • 30WC/SB20 for Corbita, 50WC/35SB for Cog and don't even try a Knarr and Caravel under 50SB(you can build it under those numbers, but thats where it isn't that much pain to create)
  • ask someone to plan you the ship, with low skill its really hard to start
  • Creating stuff and attaching, gives no skill compered to improving
  • use a large cart with live stock, it really helps
  • building a bigger ship can take weeks of daily working
  • start the ship near a good forest, cause you will need it
  • get yourself some high Ql woa tools helps also for creating

thats all I can think of

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1