Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Landscaped Roadways Post 1.1

Im doing a number of reworkings now that 1.1 is in with all the new trees and new fence types. I started working on the roadways in and around my deed to liven them up a bit and get away from the drab same ole same ole. So im looking for pics from others that may have been working on landscaping roadways either on deed or off deed to get some inspiration and some ideas.

These first two are the same roadway just looking north and south. I used some 30 and 40QL copper lamps to light it at night which gives it a nice creepy kind of glow. I have used  Walnut trees to line the high iron on either side as once they hit old or better all the limbs will be higher than the high iron which will keep it from feeling crowded like olives or oaks would have.I also spaced the walnuts every other tile with gravel pavers as seperators. It gives quite an open feel without a tunnell effect. A lot of the trees are not yet at mature stage and once most or all hit Old..the effect should be quite interesting.

Looking South

vJILzFE.jpg

and

Loooking North

OsbT3fg.jpg

This next one is a much more elaborate one im doing. The above pics I tried to stay simple but on this one I wanted to do an Imperial Roadway and its still very much under construction as I wait on enough sprouts to finish the road borders and get the time to finish out all the pillars. Its completely lined with chestnuts, horse statues, fountains, and pillars with brass lamp lighting..allthough I may change it to bronze lamps..not certain yet. I have tried to keep everything spaced a bit so it doesnt get too overwhelming but itll be easier to tell once all the chesnuts are at mature and I have all the lavendar hedges in.

Looking west

V6NOgAw.jpg

If you have any roadways your working on using the 1.1 items post them up:)  I have a lot of roadway to work on so hopefully I can get some inspiration from what everyone elese may be working on.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 12

Love that last pic, never seen kerbs in use or whatever they are.

I'm planning a silly path about 200 tiles to my place, will start off normal then do silly things in series, like split in to two, slope sideways at a 23 slope at the top of a cliff, go through 3 tile long caves like bridges, get very bumpy and a few other random things. Idea is it won't affect your progress though, will still be straight and should just be able to use it normally.

Sad but true and a taste of things to come when people arrive I'm sure :)

Edited by Silures

I love the last pic. That makes me want to rip up the road between my deeds and redo it! Hehe, Good work!

In the last one you need some color in there maybe try like a tree then a oleander/lavender then a tree or something. i have not had time to do finishing work i am still building but  I would like to see some other peoples screenshots too.  i have run past a few that were really good so i know they are out there.  

Edited by Kegan

YaUHbhH.jpg

still a work in progress for our ranch, i will update the pic with a better one once finished.

But afterall, the road is done, and that's the more important.

(diagonal paving / marble slabs / curbs / stone fence / high irons gate will be used on that project)

PS. And i really like your last picture... might steal you some idea as well ;)

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 9

I like the layout on that Odynn. i dont have marble available yet..hopefully ill find some soon. I tried a few tiles of the slate...and I may still use them..but I havent had time to make enough concrete yet to do what I was planning and I would rather use marble if I can find some.

Your finished project will be very interesting..make sure to repost when your done :)

I saw Odynn's area a couple of days ago, and thought it looked fantastic.

Great job there.

as well as the slate ones - i'm just waiting for someone insane enough to pave a whole road with slate slabs.

• Like 1

marble slabs are ingame already?:Ooooo

It's ingame for like few weeks now.

Great work on the roads I see here, I have to make something like this too.

This is one of the neighbors roads - three lane with oaks evenly spaced down the center. He is supposed to be putting the rock curbs around them..but I guess well see. He did some tests around the oaks on his deed and it looks good..so im hoping he will finish the whole thing out.

Cj8Nutv.jpg

and this is the only diagonal I have atm..its brand spanking new and I havent even started the leveling on it...but its diagonal..and also (verified by Enki)..counts as a hiway (once im done with the final destination) due to it being built with a full tile. Its going to run the ridgeline through the mountains for a ways then drop into the desert a very short hop and connect to a road that runs up into the mountains. Its also one im looking for a bit of inspiration on. It should be challenging due to the terrain and limited space to landscape around.

AY2NQUt.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex

Your finished project will be very interesting..make sure to repost when your done :)

Finished : not yet, but the outside is done at least :

S1mTWB6.jpg

Once you are inside :

ADqmAH1.jpg

And... it's still look better in game... <_<

• Like 4

Nicely done indeed

I have expanded my lavender fields to 284 plants. Im going to hedge the walnut lined roads as well. Im finding I really like the low hedges along roadways.

Edited by sunsvortex

Ok so I upgraded the simple roads I first posted with hedges fountains and statues. The walnuts did an interesting thing on the tunneling but it works well when its all green. When spring gets here ill repost as its the only time of year when the walnuts have their extra color in the leaves. Winter pics being what they are here is the upgrade -

0wcIK9Y.jpg

and

7vb3Fdz.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 4

There is a lot of inspiration work here!

This is no where near as elaborate, just start of the highway near my deed. I hope to find the time to add more along the same road and you guys have given me some ideas =)

H09iNQd.jpg?1

Btw I LOVE that pattern Odynn.

• Like 3

Well spring is here and I made a couple more changes as soon as everything turned green. The horse statues made the road too busy so I removed them and left in the fountains which seems to work well. And the best thing is all the color the walnuts add in the spring. Its only a bit of yellow..but it makes a huge difference overall. I still have more fountains to add in on the lower half but didn't want to go to far and then decide I didn't like it. Good thing since I removed the horse statues.

YhFhaqe.jpg

and

hlec8QV.jpg

and on the Imperial...well it seems to have went more Druid looking once the trees have grown up. I still don't have all the pillars done due to other projects...but its coming along. Ill probably also widen this one to 3 wide which hopefully will help with the druid effect and move it more towards an imperial look.

diB02TB.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 6

These screenshots really do the new graphics justice. Great job. 

As much as I like the diagonal tiles, that's great work not even using them Sun.

Thanks

I have a diagonal in process atm. Its quite a bit slower building due to all the extra tiles that need work. But Ill post it up once im further along with it.

Well here is the work in process. Its going to be another couple weeks before its finally finished as im waiting on sprouts and have to demo a lot more fence remnants to clean the area up around it. I did a diamondback pattern and one of the first things youll notice when doing these diagonals is that your options are at current, pretty limited. Im hoping that they are working on allowing diagonal fence placement and other paver types that will be able to be used.

I thought the sawtooth hedge layout would look odd...but its coming along better than I expected.

mYczqI0.jpg

and

S1ITNPE.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex

The sawtooth hedges totally work, which is good because WOW that's a lot of sprouts.