Sign in to follow this  
Roan

Skilling Up Mining

I've read in various places different ways to skill it up.

What ores are best to skill on at the different levels? I have my main character with only like 9 mining i'd like to skill up, but also my mag priest who is at 77 mining skill. (i'd especially like his skill to catch up to my blacksmith lol)

What I understand so far:

Different ores are different difficulties to mine, and so at different skill levels you should work certain ores instead of others. I just don't know which to use.

I've also read I should experiment with my pickaxe to hopefully get an average QL of half my skill level for maximum gains. Assuming this is true, I want to make sure my vein i'm mining on is of good enough quality to get the average QL then right? I was told poor veins are easier to mine than very good veins for example.

I've got 5 Hours of Sleep bonus on the mag I want to burn it for all mining, but want to make sure i get the biggest gains i can :D

Hoping you guys can help. Thanks :D

I've read the guides that say mine rock to 50 then iron to 60 then something else blah blah but to be honest, My best gains have been from gold.

What it boils down to is you need to be able to get as many results between 1.01 and 39.99 QL to get skill ticks so the ideal QL of your pick will vary based on your mining skill.

Skill ticks seem to be the same size no mater what ore vein I mine from, Gold is the most difficult(actually marble is) so the QL i get when mining is absolute garbage but with a 70ql pick I have only a few 1.00 failures, the end result is I churn out a high volume of skill tick producing ores.

Vein QL is irrelevant, it's all about what QL you would have gotten if it wasn't capped.

Summary: 50+ mining use high ql pick on gold or marble as your skill increases, the QL of your pick needs to decrease to remain in the 'sweet spot'

i like to keep it simple since im bad at keeping track of too many variables.

my formula:  lowest ql pick with highest ql coc you can use.

then if i have access to the ore i go for the closest range according to the wiki

but sometimes i dont see any difference since i think vein ql also affects it.

so i dont religiously follow this .

Slate is also good from about 50-70ish as well from my experience. I learned this from a good friend who sadly no longer plays but was always a skill gain machine.

Insert the numbers that Griffith entered in a curve calculator too see what works for epic.

so its on the curve.

i'd say use the numbers griffith put up for what ores to mine at certain skills, but don't simply go with the lowest ql pick you can. i've found that the best skill comes from experimenting with your pickaxe ql a bit.

basically you're gonna want the average ql of whatever you're mining to be half your skill. if you just use a 1ql pickaxe it could make the difficulty too high which will result in less skill. 

• Like 1

When is marble good? I thought marble was as tough as gold?

When is marble good? I thought marble was as tough as gold?

marble, silver, gold all the same

At 74 mining I get  .02 - .05 every 5min~ using 80ql pick with high coc and high woa, with SB on, and mining an utmost Iron vein.

Far better then I got with a low ql pick high coc no woa, on a tin/zinc, lead vein... yeah, I don't get it either.. but it works so I'm going with it.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Vein QL is very, very important. I have every ql range of tin and can tell you for certain that it matters.

At the moment I'm an utmost tin resulting in ~0.20 - 0.25 skillpoints/hour.

Edith says: My mining skill is 85,89 btw ;)

But if you guys are interested... I just started to document just that so we can verify once and for all what is the best way to mine.

I'll open a thread soon where everyone is free to contribute.

Edited by Tekari
  • Like 1

I've noticed that after 70 mining slate is better than zinc.

Vein QL is very, very important. I have every ql range of tin and can tell you for certain that it matters.

At the moment I'm an utmost tin resulting in ~0.20 - 0.25 skillpoints/hour.

Edith says: My mining skill is 85,89 btw ;)

But if you guys are interested... I just started to document just that so we can verify once and for all what is the best way to mine.

I'll open a thread soon where everyone is free to contribute.

Sorry, but I just don't buy that:

65.21 mining. 35.35QL iron pick, 85 coc, no sleep bonus, 99% nutrition, 79 food. I will mine from full stamina each time, and repair after every single action.

36QL iron vein: [14:07:17] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2152

62QL iron vein: [14:10:11] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2181

88QL iron vein: [14:13:09] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2240

90+QL iron vein: [14:11:13] Mining increased by 0.00291 to 65.2210

Pick remained at 35.35QL for the whole test, only dropping to 35.34 on the final repair after the final action to get the tick on the 88QL vein.

Incidentally, what you're mining doesn't influence the amount of skill you gain either, all that matters is maximising the number of ore you get between 1 and 40QL: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Mining_skillgain

I am pretty sure, if not 100% positive that QL of a vein makes no difference at all!

on epic at 70+ mining the only things that give good skill gain are: Gold, Silver and Marble

total newb here but I'm at 41 mining and have yet to see any marble.... is it a surface item or is it found in a mine?

sorry for the newb question but i'd like to try marble or at least see it  lol

I am pretty sure, if not 100% positive that QL of a vein makes no difference at all!

on epic at 70+ mining the only things that give good skill gain are: Gold, Silver and Marble

As far I observed the differences is not in single tick amount of skill gain but in tick ratio. The higher QL of ore the more frequently you get ticks.

getting to 90 on epic effective of 99 i used gold from about 60 as it was the bets gains marble was also really good up there