Sign in to follow this  
vikari

Expansion Of Ships For Pvp/destruction

I notice boats are a common place in the game, but beyond use for moving around/hauling and for storage of items they serve a limited function.  Also the lack of a market for boast is discouraging for some people.  The lack of a market I think is caused mostly due to a lack of need for new boats.  I'd like to see cannons added to larger boats.  At least the Cog, Knarr and Caravel.  With the number of cannons being higher with the larger the boat.  These could have a mechanic similar to catapults.  Meaning they'd need to be loaded, need ammo, someone to man the cannon, and of course have a similar range.  Aspects that could be considered for discussion would be allowing them to damage land target as well, which I think offer a new aspect for cost defense of a deed.  It also would introduce a new aspect of PVP and home server defense.  The effect of a boat sinking in deep water is obvious for both of the passenger and the items they lose, and though that can be costly to any player, it does add an material sink to the game and controls inflation, along with the destruction of items, people continue to have a purpose to do an activity, be it replacing armor and items permanently lost or the ships themselves.

Ty for your consideration and constructive critism.

• Like 1

if cannons or guns are ever added to ships that can actually damage other ships: one faction would quickly sweep through all of the servers in a fleet and wipe out every single ship they could find outside a building or cave. the hidden ones would eventually be picked off over time and nobody in their right mind would go through all the hassle of boat building to have it blown up by the first low class shelb to come along while your offline.

If cannons or guns are ever added to ships and can actually damage buildings or items: One faction would sweep through eventually all of the servers firing massive raft fitted ship holds worth of 90ql rock at every single structure, tower, statue, construction or destroyable item of any kind with in the max range of a sailable sea tile while your offline. everything....

On top of both of those lovely scenarios anytime danger or defence showed up they could just whisk away on their floating artillery platforms elsewhere until the coast is clear.

A better idea for naval battles that may get some response would be grapples to throw and pull your ship next to the enemies' ship and then board it for hand to hand combat (must use 3 or more grapples before you can pull alongside).  Only aerial items that should be allowed may be a small catapult for ships that can throw flaming tar balls, which could be Wurm's form of Greek fire.  There would also need to be some work done on ships so you could move about a bit in fights, but all would still be in the spirit of Wurm's timeline I think. 

• Like 1

if cannons or guns are ever added to ships that can actually damage other ships: one faction would quickly sweep through all of the servers in a fleet and wipe out every single ship they could find outside a building or cave. the hidden ones would eventually be picked off over time and nobody in their right mind would go through all the hassle of boat building to have it blown up by the first low class shelb to come along while your offline.

If cannons or guns are ever added to ships and can actually damage buildings or items: One faction would sweep through eventually all of the servers firing massive raft fitted ship holds worth of 90ql rock at every single structure, tower, statue, construction or destroyable item of any kind with in the max range of a sailable sea tile while your offline. everything....

On top of both of those lovely scenarios anytime danger or defence showed up they could just whisk away on their floating artillery platforms elsewhere until the coast is clear.

....well don't make then THAT over powered.

Gunpowder be left out of the equation, and I will be happy.

• Like 1

....well don't make then THAT over powered.

even if they were half the strength of catapults or even 1/3 as hard hitting it would change nothing other then it would take them some more time (which they will happily spend) to do the exact same thing.

oh yes give me cannons mmmmm i will never die then

And here is the personification of why this would be a disastrous change.

No cannons or guns. Before the invention of gunpowder, ships fought with each other with other devices. Personally, i'd like it to be possible to shoot at ships with ballista and catapults. Ballista and catapults could also be placed on ships. Maybe it could also be possible to set a ship on fire so the crew members have to try to stop it. If a boat starts sinking, crew members could use buckets to bail out the water and keep it floating a little longer. If ships got damaged in battle, the market for them would grow a lot. This would be beneficial to crafters on Freedom that are selling stuff to people on Chaos.

This youtube video shows how it was done in Roman times. (without the music)

Edited by Sir Arowhun