Currently the marsh is a menace people would rather remove, terrain like this does add something to the game (something to hate) but other than that it adds little.

This proposed overhaul adds a few odd properties to the marsh tile.

1. can only spread up to 5 tiles away from water (limits growth)

2. spawns mushrooms (slightly higher rate than forests)

3. can be foraged (even if underwater) for lingonberries (uncommon) and red mushrooms (common)

4. can be botanised (even if underwater) for any herb (common) and brown (uncommon) and yellow mushrooms (rare).

5. can be planted in water using mixed grass

6. has a unique tree (mangrove)

7. removable using rock shards (weight 40) to "firm up the ground", uses paving skill to do so. Turns unto a dirt tile

8. any grass tile that sinks below water level turns into a marsh within 1 day

Mangrove tree : Planted in a marsh, wood has the same properties as pine (none), tree grows normally up to mature. At old tree spawns roots on marsh tiles in a 3x3 area centered on the tree. These roots can be cut down (regrowing within 1-2 days real time) for an 8 weight mangrove log. The tree itself gives the same amount of logs as a pine. If the tree is cut down (or reaches the withered stage) the roots decay away within 2 hours. Slow growing (same speed as oak).

Notes : Properties 3 and 4 could be linked to http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/79404-forage-botanize-overhaul/

• Like 2

1. -1

2. +1

3. +1

4. +1

5. +1

6. +1

7. -1 floor boards are for it ;)

8. +1

Well this would encourage new players to make floor boards and sell to people who want to remove marsh ;)

7. -1 floor boards are for it ;)

Well this would encourage new players to make floor boards and sell to people who want to remove marsh ;)

People wouldnt need to make this thread if there was an easy way to remove the most useless thing in the game.

I see it interfering with reed tiles (which, last I checked, still grew on cliffsides for some reason).

too much and -1 to removing any other way than floorboards.

I mean you could do some of those though.

Edited by Protunia

Just make it so i can use new lvling to raise marsh out of the water to floor board then.

Or i can pave them submerged.

• Like 1

Marsh doesnt spread.

Wrong, marsh does spread. Plenty of other people have seen it, I for one have noticed it.

Now, to the OP's #7. Just use the floor boards to remove the marsh. If a person is having trouble with marsh, it is their fault for moving right next to the marsh in the first place. It is the same as people that move into housing right next to an airport and then complain about the noise, guess whos fault it is, their own. I'm going to have to buckle down soon and make about 30-40 floor boards to get rid of some of the edging of the marsh that is creeping towards my deed. You don't see me complaining about it because I was fully aware of the marsh there at the time I moved in.

As to the rest:

1 - Sure

2 - Sure

3 - Sure

4 - Sure

5 - No

6 - No opinion

8 - Would be useless since tiles don't sink randomly, it would have to be a player made digging action, which would mean that the grass would disappear, and you would have dirt.

Great suggestions, except the removing part. Floorboards should remain the only way.

Great suggestions, except the removing part. Floorboards should remain the only way.

its not the only way, if you dig th marsh down to rock, you can use the fo spell "dirt" to kill it.

Make it more useful big +1 I would like to see a convert marsh to dirt spell added to one of the paths maybe, 24 hour cool down. * not on any paths myself so unsure if any one type needs some love more than others*

Hm, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, that sort of spell would defiantly be good to have, with 18 or 24 hour cool down.

Bump to this idea, I think more discussion would be healthy to have, smooth out the edges a little.