Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Proposed Connection Of Freedom Server Maps

From personal experience leaving <server> to trade or visit hunting locations, I've run into the annoying hassle of sailing for H O U R S on occasion to get from, say for example, independence to celebration. I am not the only one that finds this rather obtuse. Like all worlds, It should be spherical in appreance. What better way to give this illusion then to position server crossings in a pattern such that it appears to be a circular/spherical world?

BAM!

Freedom%20border%20crossing.png

• Chaos in the middle, but arguably well situated to be avoided or visited for PvP reasons
  • Trade routes are closer in some cases (Indi to Cele as an example)
  • All servers reachable within 2 crossings from any map
  • Don't want pvp, you can bypass it completely
  • Western Chaos can finally have decent access to other servers
  • Every single server has access to either Pristine or Release
  • Promotes a more Spherical world by the fact that travel is connected in a near circular pattern
  • One can essentially sail due west, east, north, and south indefinitely creating the feel of a real world
  • Future servers can be added in such a way that it just extends the crystaline structure

Freedom%20border%20crossing%20example.png

For example, lets start in Pristine. If we were in the northern hemisphere, traveling north or east takes us to Independence. If we are in the southern hemisphere, traveling south takes us to Deliverance and traveling east takes us to Chaos.

**Server placement could be moved around depending on popularity or population.

**I did not setup a poll as I feel this to be a finished suggestion.

P.S.

I have also shot an email on this directly to Rolf, simply outlining a few points and asking him to think about this suggestion.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 14

Great idea make wurm feel like its a planet :D , help make travel a bit more real in a sense and to improve productivity of boaters :P.

+1

• Like 1

(Just wondering) the servers on the right and left (pristine, exo, deli and release) have 2 arrows pointing from them (one going to chaos and another going to a different server). How would you choose which server to go to as there is 2 possible choices on a single side.

• Like 1

(Just wondering) the servers on the right and left (pristine, exo, deli and release) have 2 arrows pointing from them (one going to chaos and another going to a different server). How would you choose which server to go to as there is 2 possible choices on a single side.

Good mention, I forgot to clearly point it out. For example here lets use Pristine on that diagram. If you traveled east from Pristine, on the northern hemisphere, you'd cross into Independence. If you traveled east from the southern hemisphere, you'd cross into Chaos. It does seem somewhat complicated at first, but like all good navigators of the seas, people would use sea-charts, maps, and diagrams and follow those when sailing!

I added this example (expounded on it more) to the post, thanks for pointing this out!

Edited by Nomadikhan

Map / compass wise... Chaos is the compass in a way as with all traveling the compass would be greatly used with this sort of server setup which is also why i like it.

• Like 1

+1

I love the idea and love having chaos in the middle. It gives the player a choice when they want to move servers; do they want to risk getting killed in chaos in return for a shorter trip or play it safe and go around it.

One problem I see is the fact there isn't room on your diagram to add new servers.

Also aren't the servers different sizes?

Where would any additional servers attach?

Messing up/changing connections as new servers are added is not something I'd like to see. Some people build in specific places due to the distance from server borders etc. I rather like my location as far from a server border as it's more or less possible to get for that very reason.

Changing the current connections could also badly mess up people who have multiple deeds on different servers and have to travel between them to maintain the deeds.

• Like 1

+1

I love the idea and love having chaos in the middle. It gives the player a choice when they want to move servers; do they want to risk getting killed in chaos in return for a shorter trip or play it safe and go around it.

One problem I see is the fact there isn't room on your diagram to add new servers.

Also aren't the servers different sizes?

Where would any additional servers attach?

Messing up/changing connections as new servers are added is not something I'd like to see. Some people build in specific places due to the distance from server borders etc. I rather like my location as far from a server border as it's more or less possible to get for that very reason.

Changing the current connections could also badly mess up people who have multiple deeds on different servers and have to travel between them to maintain the deeds.

They are different sizes, but keep in mind crossing is just sorted to half of a side... so just cross from one section of a map and dump onto a fixed point in the next server, and vice versa. No real need for approximating crossing and where it takes you as it does now.

Also, It's a crystalline structure, so if Servers are added you could just expand it sideways. Or at that point, recreate a different shape all together. Certainly something that can be improved on or changed the next time more servers are added.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

+1

Actually, due to the size of Chaos, in the diagram in the OP, that would almost always be the longest route. I'm trying to spot 2 servers that it would take longer to travel between without going through Chaos and I can't.

Being virtual world, it would give the feel of an archipelago or island world. So yes, some routes will still be longer then others.. but there won't be anymore 8 hour sailing of a corbita from Independence to Celebration on light winds. Most routes would be 4~ or so hours maybe. Keep in mind you could continuously sail in one direction and loop around to your starting location... real world feel! So sailing is now more viable for anyone, even those with no patience or just a newbie rowboat! This may not be the perfect solution, but it's the best one I've seen so far.

Edited by Nomadikhan

They are different sizes, but keep in mind crossing is just sorted to half of a side... so just cross from one section of a map and dump onto a fixed point in the next server, and vice versa. No real need for approximating crossing and where it takes you as it does now.

Also, It's a crystalline structure, so if Servers are added you could just expand it sideways. Or at that point, recreate a different shape all together. Certainly something that can be improved on or changed the next time more servers are added.

Hmmm, you would use a checkbox to decide if travelling to Release or Exo from East Chaos? I prefer the current set up where your distance along the border is mirrored on the one your sailing to, otherwise people could potentially camp server borders on Chaos far too easily.

I goofed up my crossing diagram above. I've fixed it. Yep I know not all maps are the same size, hence why a fixed point you enter a server on after crossing would be needed. Cross from <map> at appropriate hemisphere to land on a fixed point on <next map>.

I can safely tell you it's easy to camp borders now on chaos... when I ran Port Benden this is how we got our first drake sets, 3 of them in fact. Not to mention a plethora of enchanted tools and all the boats MR saw on our docks ^.~

I'll update the previous crossing image. Add it to OP as well.

Edited by Nomadikhan

I goofed up my crossing diagram above. I've fixed it. Yep I know not all maps are the same size, hence why a fixed point you enter a server on after crossing would be needed. Cross from <map> at appropriate hemisphere to land on a fixed point on <next map>.

I can safely tell you it's easy to camp borders now on chaos... when I ran Port Benden this is how we got our first drake sets, 3 of them in fact. Not to mention a plethora of enchanted tools and all the boats MR saw on our docks ^.~

Aha

And yes, it may not be hard now, but no need to make it even easier ;)

Aha

And yes, it may not be hard now, but no need to make it even easier ;)

Haha, hey now you guys have nearly free reign over there... don't nip a good thing when you got it! ^^ I dunno, I can se it being camped, but 90% of freedom have a morbid fear of chaos, they'll continue to avoid it I imagine. If anything this promotes not sailing afk :P

Edited by Nomadikhan

sorry no way chaos should not be the center period.

Indy if anything should be the center.

You can switch chaos to the outside and in a year or so worry about where the rest go.

Edited by Protunia

sorry no way chaos should not be the center period.

Indy if anything should be the center.

-1 to you Protunia, opposer of everything.

Read the fine print next time....

**Server placement could be moved around depending on popularity or population.

• Like 1

I think it works fine right now and new servers will be added to pristine and release first watch.

So what you going to do about those?

Already been said, it's a crystaline structure. meaning it can be expounded on rather easily or be modified as needed. This is just a starting point, think snowflake. Starts small, with a few points, as it grows those points multiply.

Again, this may not 100% be the solution, but it's a start towards something. I get many of you on freedom are fine with how it is now.. but us on Chaos don't enjoy sailing 8 hours on occasion to reach Cele for example. It needs to be somewhat fairer for everyone, while at the same time still allowing people who oppose PvP to avoid it. Inde as the center is perfectly fine, it still would essentially allow people of chaos to reach any server in 2 crossings same as anyone else. Nothing much changes.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Ok well it should have been that way from the beginning as was talked about at length but that's not how he did it.....

I think you could put 4 in the middle rather than 1 anyhow.

Just make the server you want to go to a choice when you leave one. I can leave the north of say Celebration a pop up would ask what server i want to travel too. Then say i chose Chaos well since i went at it from the north of my server i would be on the south end of Chaos. If i wanted to go to the east side of Chaos i would exit my server from the west side. This way the next server is always where you want to go and you can add as many servers to the system as you like.

Edited by Kegan

for even suggesting to connect pristine.

shame on you!

for even suggesting to connect pristine.

shame on you!

lol, You know it'll happen at one point right? Btw, I have a noob alt there... place has hardly any coastal space left, deeded or otherwise that is usable. You have almost nothing to worry about. :P

P.S.

Less shipbuilding skills and more Fight Skills for you all, way to many sailboats and not enough creature corpses! lol

Edited by Nomadikhan