Sign in to follow this  
polemides

How Much Of A Role Does Soul Depth Play In Enchanting (Vynora)

can a lot of soul depth make up for a lack of channeling? and what role does it play does it govern the str of the enchant?

Channeling is cast success rate. SD is cast power increase.

With 90chan and 20SD, you'd succeed a lot but get increases of only like 10 power.

With 90SD and 20chan, you'd succeed barely ever but when you do, it'd be 70+ power.

Understand?

Assuming those ate just rough figures you.threw our to help explain it. Is there any work that has been done on a forumla of sorts to get an idea of my success.chance and estimated cast strength?

Yeah, those are just estimates based on 2+ years of raising Vyns on and off. And I seriously doubt anyone could make a formula for casting in Wurm via reverse engineering, even if they were a university maths professor, as there's too much of a randomness factor to form the patterns required to construct a formula IMO

Yeah I didn't have high hopes but a guy can dream right? Lol

I can tell you it takes a lot to have a good priest. I have had two good cast from the priest i bought with 39 SD, 93 Faith and 63 channeling i am disappointed in it for sure. I would have thought it would have been much better than it seems to be. (granted i am not running on max bonus for everything but still)

I've had days where a 90 faith 80chan 74SD priest will get mediocre casts constantly (~50) and I've had days where a 75faith 45chan 32SD priest will get good casts (70+) constantly. It's very, very random.

I've had days where a 90 faith 80chan 74SD priest will get mediocre casts constantly (~50) and I've had days where a 75faith 45chan 32SD priest will get good casts (70+) constantly. It's very, very random.

Well the two cast i have had were both around 88 so at least it was good ones and i have not cast a lot yet really..maybe 10-15 cast. I have been just doing one a day when my faith gains are done and have not had a chance to do a good session yet hoping it will average out when i do.

Well the two cast i have had were both around 88 so at least it was good ones and i have not cast a lot yet really..maybe 10-15 cast. I have been just doing one a day when my faith gains are done and have not had a chance to do a good session yet hoping it will average out when i do.

That's pretty good from 10 to 15 casts tbh.
  • Like 2

With 90chan and 20SD, you'd succeed a lot but get increases of only like 10 power.

With 90SD and 20chan, you'd succeed barely ever but when you do, it'd be 70+ power.

Understand?

This can't be true at all. We got a vyn priest with 99+ effective channeling, I got around 75 effective channeling. I have some higher SD than the vyn priest. My casts average around 50 maybe, occasionally the 60-70 cast, rarely anything higher. I get 60+ casts very easily on the vyn priest, 70 is also likely and 80+ is only slightly less common.

In my experience channeling has always mattered the most and I have never seen Soul Depth make any difference. If I were to make a priest that would only be used for casting, I'd focus on the channeling skill mostly, and only grind SD skills if I was bored.

• Like 3

channeling and religion baby all the way.

That means praying and preaching as well.

Best priest I ever had 90+ faith, mid 30's soul,sd, & ss, but had 70+ prayer, 60+ religion, and 80+ channeling.

Edited by Protunia

Slightly off-topic, but out of interest how much is SD used by Magranon and Fo priests if at all?

This can't be true at all. We got a vyn priest with 99+ effective channeling, I got around 75 effective channeling. I have some higher SD than the vyn priest. My casts average around 50 maybe, occasionally the 60-70 cast, rarely anything higher. I get 60+ casts very easily on the vyn priest, 70 is also likely and 80+ is only slightly less common.

In my experience channeling has always mattered the most and I have never seen Soul Depth make any difference. If I were to make a priest that would only be used for casting, I'd focus on the channeling skill mostly, and only grind SD skills if I was bored.

It is in my experience. My priest on Epic had around 35-40 soul depth and 40s channeling (curved to 60-70) when we started getting 80-90 casts more easily. Now that it's around 90 effective, I'm just getting the 70-90 casts more often.

Our 90 Channeling and 63 Soul Depth priest couldn't improve a 37 Mind Stealer cast in about 40-50 times... then it went to a 60. We also have 70 Faith Bonus from the 90QL Rare Gold Altar and a 90QL Statuette...

I don't even bother trying to figure out the system anymore. I get the feeling that skill doesn't even matter.

Edited by Xallo

Our 90 Channeling and 63 Soul Depth priest couldn't improve a 37 Mind Stealer cast in about 40-50 times... then it went to a 60.

I don't even bother trying to figure out the system anymore. I get the feeling that skill doesn't even matter.

I know we are all about wurm being hard and all but priest need a little buff IMO they take so much time or money to get a good one and you don't even get any kind of consistency at all that i can see so far. Edited by Kegan
  • Like 6

For once I can agree with you, Kegan. I wouldn't mind it taking longer to cast e.g. favour regenerating slower and saccing stuff becoming worth less favour, so long as casting was more reliable and less munted. I had a 90 faith 80 chan 74SD Vyn for a month and got pretty much no 90+ casts out of him and bugger all 80+ casts, it's ridiculous

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic, but out of interest how much is SD used by Magranon and Fo priests if at all?

Just about the same, although i hear mags is more of a Soul Strength kind of guy.

Thing is they don't have nearly as many enchants as vynora, and for example the most "comercial" spell of mags, Strongwall, always hits, and has no cast power.

Understand?

Someone should post that to the Wiki if it is not already there. in both Soul depth and the channeling pages.

Someone should post that to the Wiki if it is not already there. in both Soul depth and the channeling pages.

Problem is, casting strength is not that simple. Aetherwalker's post is a very basic version of what is thought to be the mechanics involved (other things seem to be involved also), but casting is too random to place that statement in the wiki.

• Like 1

I am not saying the actual example numbers but a guide to how one affects the other.

With this showing an example.

It shouldn't be easy.. must be overlooking something or thats just the way it works, to prevent the market from getting flooded :)

Edited by whykillme

Understand?

Can you tell me where it says SD increases cast power increase?

Please don't. There is enough unverified and out right incorrect info on there as it is.

• Like 1

I'll tell you a funny story. For a long time I heard rumors about what mind speed does.

I asked Rolf one day.

Turns out it has one use. Everyone else was wrong. I am guessing there is more skills like that.