Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Vynoran Draft Golems

Whoa, absolutely not. I cannot carry/transport live animals in a cart/boat and there's no reason these constructs should be different.

You shouldn't compare them to animals. I agree (along with just about everyone else) we should be able to transport animals on a boat. But is lack of a feature for one part of the game justification to limit another? to put it another way, "I don't have it so you can't have it either". The reasoning is simple, they are nothing more then a pile of resources (I suggested clay), I think you can put piles of clay in your cart and inventory. This is very good justification why golems should fit in large carts, inventory, or on merchants.

general thread;

I know there are players out there who don't like animals and this would give them a different choice. I'm also confident it would help Wurm's problem with players keeping excessive animals.

The golem should be made from materials that are naturally more expensive then common resources. The point of this is to make sure golem prices don't drag down horse value. Substitutes can cause this effect. In my OP, 100 quality points in gems where mentioned which would put resource cost alone at 1 to 2s. And that requirement was probably too extreme. I was trying to account for how 4 of 91 quality shoes with 99 WOA casts would drive up the cost of a horse substantially. This is better solved by breaking the golem into 4 parts. Although, they still need to have a high creation costs. Excluding the cost of casts, creation cost target should be around 1s.

Instead of crafting with common resources like clay, we could use metallurgy metals and jewelry smithing skill to create the golem and parts. Items imploding during casting increases likelihood as the target item's quality drops. The Higher quality metallurgy alloys, what's need to improve golem parts, grow in price exponentially. There is a balance there where we can hit that 1s creation costs. Although, increasing casting difficulty too much makes it much harder to get max power casts and removes any comparability to WOA on shoes. It may be just fine to go with a difficulty equal to WOA for golem animation spell.

I believe the best way to balance that horses need 4 shoes, each with its own WOA, to achieve max speed is to break the golem into 4 parts. Each Golem part would be enchanted separately and then the combined average would explain final speed. This would let us change the golem animation spell to be the same favor as WOA. Spell difficulty needs to at least equal WOA. I touch of difficulty in the paragraph above.

Edited by joedobo

-1 this is an incredibly stupid idea. Competing with sirauhrun in the poor ideas chart.

-1 this is an incredibly stupid idea. Competing with sirauhrun in the poor ideas chart.

Hu, didn't know stupid consists of:

-- Giving people a choice besides animals and making sure either choice is equally powered (creation and use is balanced) as to not bias the choice.

-- Adding variety to Wurm, not just in eye candy but actual function variation.

-- Enhancing the fantasy theme.

-- Potentially reducing some of the effects excessive animal hording is causing. I would be killing 30 to 50 horses.

-- Some players don't like breeding. This would let them make cart pulling tools that are created just like all our other tools.

-- This idea doesn't stop others from continuing to do what they do with animals.

Did you perhaps actually meant to say, " I don't like this, -1". You sure can express your opinion, but calling something stupid and not putting forth a single sentence explaining why is not helping your cause.

People are classing this as a stupid idea because it's:

-Totally unnecessary

-Adding redundancy

-Going to break the horse breeding and selling market

-Going to be OP

-Poorly thought out

-Ignorant of what Wurm players as a whole actually want to see added

-Selfish

Plus, methinks the lady doth protest too much, seeing as you're arguing with people who just dont like your idea/dont think it's necessary. They're allowed their opinions, and you calling them out saying they're not allowed their opinion is just plain obnoxious.

• Like 1

The typical "Don't add or change anything, except what I have a problem with", "I don't have it, I don't want you to have it either", "Just Nay!" or "You are stupid!" crowd chiming in on every thread get's tiring after a while. I can't blame Joedobo for calling you guys out on it.

Some people post a lot of some very poor suggestions, but this is a pretty solid basic idea and issues can be worked out, provided that you name them, otherwise it's pretty difficult to respond to you or even take you serious.

It's questionable whether it would fit the Wurm setting, but Wurm is fantasy already and lava fients are pretty much golems anyway.

As for being unnecessary and redundant: maybe. But there is a lot of stuff like that, options and variety make things fun and interesting. I mean why have silver, bronze or gold armour when iron already does the job? Why have pine, birch adn cedar when "wood" would suffice? Or why add sheep when you already have lots of different animals and cotton as well?

There is no way of telling whether it would be OP or breaking the markets. That entirely depends on the completely diffuse specifics yet to be set up.

And about it being, poorly thought out, ignorant and selfish: just, lol.

You shouldn't compare them to animals.

Yet they are an alternative for animals?

I don't think it'd be a good idea, but props to Joedobo for the suggestion.

Hu, didn't know stupid consists of:

-- Giving people a choice besides animals and making sure either choice is equally powered (creation and use is balanced) as to not bias the choice.

-- Adding variety to Wurm, not just in eye candy but actual function variation.

-- Enhancing the fantasy theme.

-- Potentially reducing some of the effects excessive animal hording is causing. I would be killing 30 to 50 horses.

-- Some players don't like breeding. This would let them make cart pulling tools that are created just like all our other tools.

-- This idea doesn't stop others from continuing to do what they do with animals.

Did you perhaps actually meant to say, " I don't like this, -1". You sure can express your opinion, but calling something stupid and not putting forth a single sentence explaining why is not helping your cause.

I didnt call you stupid yet, I just said that I think the idea is stupid, sorry if I dont go into a wall of text to explain what, to me, is self evident.

In previous threads I read a lot of players asking for less NPCs, and this is basically a player craftable and controlable NPC, as a matter of fact, one of the aprils fool joke threads was a suggestion similar to this one, that should be a hint as to why people dont support this idea.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

makes no sense for it to be Vyn, Fo is earth, Magranon is Rock, Vyn is water lol, if anything clay golems would be Fo and Rock golems would be mag

People are classing this as a stupid idea because it's:

-Totally unnecessary

-Adding redundancy

-Going to break the horse breeding and selling market

-Going to be OP

-Poorly thought out

-Ignorant of what Wurm players as a whole actually want to see added

-Selfish

Plus, methinks the lady doth protest too much, seeing as you're arguing with people who just dont like your idea/dont think it's necessary. They're allowed their opinions, and you calling them out saying they're not allowed their opinion is just plain obnoxious.

Your free to say what you wish. I am just focusing on various support or facts used to support those opnions and analyizing them. If something isn't true I'm going to point why. Contrary to what you claim, I don't problem with folks posting, "I don't like this, -1", or "-1".

-Totally unnecessary -> Adding variety and giving players a different choice for cart pulling is good, but I will agree is not supper important.

-Adding redundancy -> I have address this multiple times. This game is full of redundancy and variety is good.

-Going to break the horse breeding and selling market -> It has nothing to do with breeding, how would it break it? Another choice may reduce sales. the selling argument is selfish, unquestionably. lol..."You shouldn't be able to use a wooden shield because that will reduce the potential market I can sell my metal shields too"

-Going to be OP -> I have put forth a lot of thought on how to prevent this. Like all new things their is always a possibility but its not a guarantee.

-Poorly thought out -> The specifics may not be perfect, but that doesn't really matter. Rolf always tweaks new features to his liking anyway.

-Ignorant of what Wurm players as a whole actually want to see added --> A few forum posters don't represent the players as a whole.

-Selfish -> I don't need to repeat what I have already said. (imo) Your just afraid you will sell less horses, if so, that what's actually selfish.

makes no sense for it to be Vyn, Fo is earth, Magranon is Rock, Vyn is water lol, if anything clay golems would be Fo and Rock golems would be mag

The function this idea serves is moving carts around.

-Vynora's channeling item was a clay bowl for a very long time. It was only changed so that players could clearly see which toon is casting spells in combat.

-From the wiki, "Roads are associated with Vynora, because they are a symbol of civilization and knowledge." Carts often travel on roads, Carts are more a symbol of civilization then of nature. The act of traveling, connecting groups, and trading with different groups are all signs of civilzation which would be Vynora.

Although, if we need to make excuses why it should be another god because Vynora is good and they suck, well so be it.

Edited by joedobo

Still stupid close it ;(

That's not how the suggestions forum works. I can continue to post in this thread and refine the idea. Just like you can continue to post your unsubstantiated opinion. Lucky for me I'm not interested in unsubstantiated opinions, no, just sound logic and we supported opinions.

Although, if we need to make excuses why it should be another god because Vynora is good and they suck, well so be it.

This made me laugh, the other gods dont suck, your just asking for something more for Vynora, and its mettling with the domain of another, But lets get to the point,

Golems are not needed

1. Vyn already has plenty of boosts all around, why give them a boost on the road even more

2. Golems can be abused in PVP easily

3.We have plenty of animals that can pull carts to need another things added like this, it will be more like wow where people go around flaunting their "mounts"

What are you smoking, Joedobo, I don't even sell horses, so I don't see how you accusing me of being biased due to this reducing my profit margins makes sense.

You know the first time I saw this I read Daft Golems....

It doesn't matter what you wanna call em it's not gonna happen. :P

Daft Golems? if all they do is dance around to Daft Punk um ... im in for that, would love to see an army of golems wander around dancing to Daft Punk music

Vynora has plenty of spells if anything give it to one of the other priest but we don't need it at all

• Like 1

What do you not get joe? This idea adds nothing new that is not already covered by something else. It seems that it is something to add to the game more for "this is cool" than this serves an actual purpose and fills a much needed role in the game that we are lacking.

What do you not get joe? This idea adds nothing new that is not already covered by something else. It seems that it is something to add to the game more for "this is cool" than this serves an actual purpose and fills a much needed role in the game that we are lacking.

So do sheep for example. And what's bad about that?

So do sheep for example. And what's bad about that?

There is room for use with them like using the wool for new types of clothing. Golems would have no use that is not already covered repeatedly by other creatures.

New types of clothing could be made just as well with cotton or even wemp and reed fibre.

Golems would have the use that you can make them instead of search for them and you could transport them.

Its a substitute (an optional choice not permanent replacement) that does something similar to animals. It has nothing to do with being cool, its about giving players an option to create a cart pulling tool which is not limited by animal related restrictions. There is a problem regarding the very limited creature count cap versus the large player count. Providing a substitute could server as a partial solution. Right now if you want to drive a cart you require animals. Next that leads to players breeding their own stock to supply that need. With this idea those who like breeding can continue and those who don't can make a golem. I understand cart animals could be bought easier than breeding your own, but line of thought doesn't actually happen. Sooner or later that buyer will embark on breeding their own animals.

Yes their are more important tasks (take a look at user voice), but that alone doesn't suddenly make it a bad idea. We could go through the suggestions forum and post the same, 'Not a priority' argument on more then 90% of posts.

Its a substitute (an optional choice not permanent replacement) that does something similar to animals. It has nothing to do with being cool, its about giving players an option to create a cart pulling tool which is not limited by animal related restrictions. There is a problem regarding the very limited creature count cap versus the large player count. Providing a substitute could server as a partial solution. Right now if you want to drive a cart you require animals. Next that leads to players breeding their own stock to supply that need. With this idea those who like breeding can continue and those who don't can make a golem. I understand cart animals could be bought easier than breeding your own, but line of thought doesn't actually happen. Sooner or later that buyer will embark on breeding their own animals.

Yes their are more important tasks (take a look at user voice), but that alone doesn't suddenly make it a bad idea. We could go through the suggestions forum and post the same, 'Not a priority' argument on more then 90% of posts.

It is nothing more than an attempt to side step the animal patch.

And yes this is in the Not a Priority list way down at the bottom...matter of fact its so far down at the bottom that part of the list caught fire and will only be seen as ashes in the pits of hell.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 2