Sign in to follow this  
Shiraek

Where Did Shiraek Go? My Own Project!

I haven't been playing wurm much lately, or any other game. I quit my job to work full time on The Space Game :)

http://www.thespacegame.com/

Basically so far you can trade, run missions and build your own farming city on the surface of the planet Ceres. Dev has been very rapid since I started on it full time though.

Still love Wurm, I'll probably play it a bit this weekend as I've just finished our second major release.

Cheers,

Shiraek

• Like 4

Good luck with your project.

If possible, some videos on your home page would be nice.

/me immediately scurries off to play it

Even though it needs a better name :P

EDIT: Where's the forums, I wanna get involved in suggestions and stuff but don't use Facebook much.

Edited by Aetherwalker
  • Like 1

"Where Did Shiraek Go?"

*I shot the Shiraek, but I did not shoot the deputy.* Oh, wrong song. Never mind...

Ok back on topic. Out of respect from what I know about you as a player of Wurm I would consider trying out this game, although the website needs a lot of polish and would not otherwise inspire me to play the game. As that seems to be your point of contact in attracting new players, it may be in your best interest to format it in a more attractive fashion or hire someone capable of doing so.

Anyway, best of luck in your new project and I might try it out in the future if encouraging responses come squeezed out *through the grapevine.* *Oh and I'm just about to lose my mind.* Songs ringing through my head this am it seems.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 1

My verdict, after playing it for the last 2 hours:

LOVE IT!

It's like X3 and Freelancer had a baby, but so intuitive and just simple fun :)

Great work Shiraek!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone :) Ayes what browser are you using? I will check it oot.

Edit: sorry no forums yet, facebook will have to do for now. We have quite lively feature discussions there though :)

Edited by Shiraek

Really good game! 8/10. I'd like to see shields and weapons and pirates

• Like 1

Also, the controls for flying could be a little less sensitive

Too bad there is no Unity Web player for Linux, looks promising.

• Like 1

My verdict, after playing it for the last 2 hours:

LOVE IT!

It's like X3 and Freelancer had a baby, but so intuitive and just simple fun :)

Great work Shiraek!

I loved Freelancer, I shall have to give this a go :)

Edit: Also, love the 'about us' section :)

I quit my previous job without even knowing what I was going to do next. It may be a crazy decision, but it's not stupid, you'll have a blast (incidentally, I'm now happily working in my dream job - Scuba Instructing in the Red Sea. A far cry from pre sales in a software company in central London).

• Like 2

oh wow crap nice wowza did u make a game?!

gotta give it a look later :D

edit: Did few missions and flew around, it has cool psychics, it felt like 'robot rage' game in miniclip that i played a long time ago :D

Add more little stuff like accessories to make the airships more personal, people love those. Gl with developing further.

If you need me for ideas.. im full of ideas xD

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

I thought I'd share some screenshots of stuff that's already in game:

Farms and mines on planets:

ceresteaser5.jpg

This is a fairly complete player city on the planet Ceres. The farms produce grain on this planet, and the other buildings increase the rate at which it's produced. Each player has a unique map of the soil fertility so no two cities look the same so far. Aside from basic trading and missions between the eight connected colonies, this is the largest feature in the game so far.

Procedural earth-like planets:

ceres-planet.jpg

This planet image is generated on the fly by your computer. The scene is 166kb to download and on the highest quality setting generates an almost 200meg texture for the planet. You literally have to fly right into it to see the pixels - tons of detail. It generates independently moving clouds, ice caps, and city lights shining on the dark side. It also makes a height map which is visible at the dawn and dusk lines.

Procedural gas giants:

gasgiant1.jpg

There are several of these giant planets in the game and they each look quite unique. The big advantage of procedural generation, other than a smaller download (it's a web game!), is that down the track we can generate whole new solar systems on the fly, making our universe open ended, theoretically infinite.

Edited by Shiraek

I would recommend people to take a look and give it a go. I play it after Wurm as a cool-down. Still cannot find Susan Steele yet in order to get to Ceres surface though. I obviously need to complete more missions.

Well done on your work so far Shiraek- looking forward to the next stage.

• Like 1

Susan first talks to you at Archimedes Station in Vulcan. You're probably already on her quest line - what does it say under contracts on your screen?

Just got onto the planet surface- thanks.

Now for some more blueprints!

• Like 1

Good look on this project. :) I am working on my own game project, too, so I know how much effort you put in this game so far. Everything looks good, but I would change interface - currently it looks rather unattractive.

Edited by Warlander

How long till mines on Vulcan! I get fed up buying hundreds of tons of iron to build stuff :P

• Like 1

Not being a programmer, I cannot help be very impressed with the speed that you are implementing your ideas and plans into The Space Game. It is like seeing a game emerge in front of your eyes unlike some other games where nothing seems to happen during their development stage for weeks or months on end.

• Like 1

Discussing the next feature here: https://www.facebook.com/TheSpaceGame

Sorry we don't have forums yet :P

Next big feature will be player built starbases. These will be for all advanced manufacturing (from raw materials to ships, components, weapons etc) and research, but people have already come up with other novel ideas heh.

The six last planet surfaces are live at last... now I can start working on player made starbases! We also have our first paying customer.

Wiki's up here - it needs more editors before I can link to it from the main page though :)

Edited by Shiraek