Sign in to follow this  
Archaegeo

N Q 6 - Part Three - The Results Show (Your Vote Matters!)

Which Waystation best met the objectives of the contest?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which Waystation best met the objectives of the contest?

• Oldenmarsh by GnatTheGnome
    • Thornblade by BrianFullBlade
    • Willow Tree Inn by Mayrin (Mynli)

Prologue: (Please read back to be familiar with the arc of the story)

NQ6 Part 2

http://forum.wurmonl...o-ever-ever-on/

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

Quest Storyline

Three wayhouses were built. Now the testing of the suitability and ability of each to meet the objectives must come to pass.

The entries are:

1) Oldenmarsh by GnatTheGnome : http://forum.wurmonl..._20#entry776850

2) Thornblade by BrianFullBlade: http://forum.wurmonl..._20#entry776897

3) Willow Tree Inn by Mayrin (Mynli): http://forum.wurmonl..._20#entry776970

Objectives

Scoring will occur as indicated below. Part of the scoring is the poll above that will run from now until 9pm EST, 6pm PST, OMG EARLY GMT on 3/30/13 (Saturday). The winner will be awarded 10 pts, second place will get 7 pts, and third place will get 3 points from the poll. And of course bragging rights.

Rules: (Did the entry meet these rules?)

1) Each entry must take a before, during, and after picture of their location to document the construction.

2) Entries must be begun on wild land (Not on a deed or in a perimeter of a deed). You may deed the area if you wish after beginning, however the Wayhouse must be open to everyone and should remain so after the contest is over (though of course this would be up to the writ holder). Remember that you can hold a deed on Release even if you hold one on Pristine.

3) Entries must consist at a minimum of a 1x1 Wayhouse (and thus a contestant could be finished in a couple of hours).

4) Entries may consist of a maximum of a 11x11 (default deed size) location, with up to 5x5 used for the Wayhouse (any height, but structure must be complete before contest ends).

5) Teamwork is allowed, but only one person who holds the Wayhouse writ and participated in its contruction will be eligible for the reward.

6) You should not start an entry within 10 tiles of the boundary of another entry (honor system).

7) You may obtain materials from the wild, or buy them off of Release denziens. Points will be lost for any actions cause ill-will with the native population

Judging Criteria:

1) Overall asthetic design (40 pts) - How does it look? One week is enough time for some vegetation to grow in, for you to build more than a 1x1 shack. This is a challenge of your ability to put together a design that looks asthetically appealing and makes good use of its space in one week. (Archaegeo's Points) To be revealed Saturday night.

2) What does the general populace think? (20 points, based on poll results)

3) Amenities offered (20 pts) - Is there a bed? Is there a water source? Is there a means of obtaining food. Does it help travellers reach their destination (storage for horses)? Is it initally stocked with any materials?

4) Location, location, location (10 pts) - Is it in an easy to access, or more importantly, useful location for the traveller needing a place to stop for the night. Ideal locations would be at dangerous areas along major routes of travel.

5) Good Will (10 pts) - Did you do anything during the construction to garner good will with the natives? Points can be lost here if you angered members of Release through your actions.

Did their entry contain the following?

1) Before, during, after pictures

2) Marked location on the Release Map (contained in entry post) - If someone goes looking for it, they should find it based on map location.

3) Description of your Wayhouse: why you built it where you built it, why you think it should win.

Reward (Winner may choose second or third place prize if desired, second place will then choose, and leftover goes to third place)

Grand Prize: A New Cog, in wood of winners choice (Donated by Tayne, a 20s value)

Second Place: A mystery package of prizes (Worth more or less than 5 silver)

Third Place: 5 silver

There will be a 2 silver prize given to a poll participant. To indicate your entry for this prize, vote in the poll above and then reply to this thread with who you voted for and why you voted for them, please use in game character name.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

• Like 1

While they were all good i Voted for Gnat. i liked the light house thing but also his had market stalls, and Flags/Banners! as well as a cute little dock area

Jessicame

Edited by Jesslynn

I voted for Mynli. She helped us out a lot. The tower and inn will be very beneficial to us locally.

Edited by Lotus1

I think its important to know that the Willow Tree Inn is located in probably the most active and dangerous hostile sections of territory I've seen. This neighborhood has multiple deaths from foreign travelers and locals alike. The Inn is great with everything you need, and the 5 guards will take care of the hostiles that chase you. This project has brought a measure of safety to a dangerous section of wurm highway. As a local I feel I have benefited from this project via sheer osmosis.

GG all

-Zabba

I have to admit it was very hard for me to make a vote since all three contestants did a really great job.

I voted for the gnome, but before doing so I changed my mind a few times before him and Mayrin and here's why.

On one side, Mayrin met the specific needs of the locals - they needed a secure place, a oasis of safety and comfort, in the middle of the desert. And she provided just that. Not to mention that the guards tower makes it a really functional structure too. Also, she seemed to be able to actually rally the local people and attract them in this project. That's why, I don't just think, but know that her Willow Tree Inn will stand the test of time and her name will be mentioned with gratitude by all the travelers that will dare the dangerous desert road. The only problem I can see is that it is not a trade post of a king, as requested, but more like a local fort.

On the other hand, GnatTheGnome stayed true to the story (and he even improved it with its own RP bit). The king wanted a trade post that could serve both servers. And boy, the OldenMarsh, it's the best definition for this: best possible location, right at the edge of the severs, on the most followed course; offering access and facilities for both sea or land travelers (a nice dock for the former and some nice stables for the later). And with the trader and the market stalls, it will clearly be not only a passing by point, but also a true commerce hub. Finally, there are two more thing I liked - the fact that he took the less welcoming possible spot (so he doesn't "steal" any good land from the locals) and the fact that he actually offered the possibility for a crafter to actually settle there for a while (having the farm fields and the workshop) so he can basically produce his traded wares on the spot. And should it even be mentioned that this is King's post? Not at all, the decorations say it better then we could ever do. And I don't know about you, but I already love that lighthouse - each and every time I'll see its lights in my travels I'll know that Gnat will tell me <welcome home>!

Two final mentions:

1. Big thanks to both Archaegeo for organizing this wonderful quest line, and all three contestants for giving such great outposts to the community. Really, guys, it's not this game that is great, it's people like you that makes it great. Hats off!

2. In the very unlikely case I will win the voters contest/lottery and Gnat won't won the contest, I would like that my prize to go to him, to help him deed the spot.

Once again... simply amazing job, everyone involved!

Edited by Kiddoo

i voted for Gnat the Gnomes deed because

1. Most appealing to me. Especially the design of the Lighthouse Inn.

2. Easy to access since its by the shore.

3. Merchants and a lighthouse for locals.

4. Great choice of location. looked beautiful from the start.

-Crutix

Edited by crutix

Voted for the Gnome.

Really good work, not only is it functional, it is also aesthetically appealing with the nice lighthouse, the banners and the market. Also things such as the shape of buildings and placement of things add to the appeal of it.

Nice work, all three of you!

I voted for Mayrin/Mynli

I myself live in a desert, and i know how hard it is to get by. Many times have i been caught off guard while traveling the desert and been pursued by a zoo of monsters, and not a haven of safety is to be seen, but i like Mayrin's because of the support to the locals and general look of the place. However, unfortunatley i've only seen Mayrin's, i might find the time to have a look at the other two, but im sure they did a great job :D

gnat the gnome, it seems to have alot of the things that I would have liked to have access to as a new player, and it looks awesome. good work man.

I voted for the Willow Tree Inn.

I am a local to the area. My husband, Abrem, and I tend the closest deed to the Willow Tree Inn, Snuggly Oasis. When Mynli and Zok arrived, and before they even started the build, they spoke up in Local about what the plan was. The fact that they talked it over with us before starting was greatly appreciated. Becuase of that act diplomacy it was easy to show them support and offer help.

The Willow Tree Inn is located near the top of a sand dune. It is easily seen from far away (it looks like a castle on a hill.) The slope of the main road that the Inn is off of is steep enough to slow carts to the point where the aggressive creatured can catch up, and long enough to run foot traffic out of or low on stamina. It used to be a great spot to get ganked by crocs, scorps, or hell hounds; now it offers a spot to find to rest, refuge, and the safety of a 5 guard Guard Tower.

I appreciate that they did not overly terraform the desert sands arround the Inn into grass or farm tiles. It has an organic feel, that works well with the local landscape. The double door allows for carts to pull in, so animals and passengers will be safe while the guards clean up the mess outside.

I found the design of the building inspiring. The cleaver use of inner walls gives it personality. The four individual bedrooms in the towers gives a sence of private space. Not only is the Inn on a natural high spot, but the look out tower on top provides a full view of the area, and any potential dangers along the nearby road.

Water and butcherable Tower kills are available right outside the Inn.

The Willow Tree Inn provides safety in an unsafe land. It will continue to do so as we will maintain it as a public safe house.

Alendria - Caretaker of the Snuggly Oaisis and Willow Tree Inn

As nice as the Inn may be, new friends are even better.

• Like 2

I voted for the Willow tree Inn. The position of the completed project is perfect. The area is very hostile ( i've lost count of how many times i've had to run for my life on that road). It can be seen from a distance, has water, facilities for food and beds. The guard tower is an enormous boon to the locals. I have a deed near and have need to traverse that road to help alliance members or obtain materials. As a member of the Alliance that benefits from this, my thanks go out to Mynli and zok's hard work in placing this Safe house.

Earwicker

P.S Made good friends from this project, to me thats what wurm is about:)

Edited by siglio

I voted for Thornblade by BrianFullBlade. Name is Osiris and live on Release. I was actually in local when participants were dropped off at Hamburg. It was nice to see all the commotion since it is usually very quiet in local. I met all three players either in person or chat. I met Mayrin right after the boat trip. She right away went to business looking for resources and a spot. I happened to pass by Brianfullblade once during my quest to find horse while he was building a road. He was later witness in local chat to my death while trying to lead a cow home. He offered help but nothing could have been done when out of stamina and being chased by a croc and spider. He cracked me up with the comment he made after I mentioned in local that the cow had cost me a life. Lol. I didn't get to meet GnatTheGnome in person but did in chat. It's great to see players stir up the pot in a good and fun way. Maybe next time I'll break away from building my deed and participate in these contests as they seem like a lot of fun. *Edit - Almost forgot to mention why. It was really hard to choose who to vote for since they all did a great job. So, I voted for BrianFullBlade since he cracked me up while playing.

Edited by mmorpgsux

Voted for Gnome, IGN:Kaine . His lighthouse is a easy resting point for travelers from Pristine and would help boost the nearby markets up north.

Voted for Gnome. IGN: Sweets

Love the level of detail , Like the Mediation rug near the bed, and the Table and chairs.

Voted for Gnome.

I love the market style it has especially with a lighthouse next to it. :)

IGN: Bastion

Great effort by all those involved. However my vote goes to Mynli. In my mind she has captured the essence of the competition and has provided the community with a legacy to combat an extremely dangerous environment.

Well done and best wishes to all!

Vote for Mynli, excellent location, great look and really looks Inn-ish.

Walk walk on desert, almost die, no water no hope, look Oasis, Willow Tree Inn i safe :D

First and foremost, well done to all three entries - simply amazing. I'd vote for all three given the chance. However, I went with Gnat. I sailed past him at one point and didn't even realise he was participating in this quest. I honestly thought this was something that had been worked on since Release went live. Excellent stuff.

IGN: Goodwin