Sign in to follow this  
Kiddoo

"best" Ship

Hello friends,

I would like to know what the "best" (will define best in a minute) ship option would be for a solo player.

What "best" DOES NOT mean: I don't really care about costs / effort to get one; I would just like to know what would bring most advantages (even if you consider it's just an extavagance).

What "best" DOES mean:

- speed (with only one crew member - I specify this because I understood some ship types get a penalty if they have only one character in the crew)

- manevrability and accesibility (again I understood some ship types can't get on canals)

- weight / volume capacity

- possibility to carry weird things (dunno... like animals)

Thank you a lot in advance for your answer. :)

It would probably be the sailboat, simply because when there isn't very strong wind and you're alone, the larger boats can be quite slow. Although it may not be as bad today as it was years ago. None of the ships are going to carry weird things like animals, unfortunately.

Sounds to me like you want a knarr. Can hold the max no. of rafts, 100, and is a shallow bottomed craft so can sail through most waters. No boats can carry animals, but knarrs pick up some fierce speeds, over 30kph with a tailwind.

i would recommend 2 boats, a knarr for transporting goods and sailboat for the rest of your trips

• Like 9

i would recommend 2 boats, a knarr for transporting goods and sailboat for the rest of your trips

This is the way to go for sure

Knarr is hands down the best for raiding and transporting cargo. Its main feature is a shallow draft, thus it can go places the other large ships cannot.

Plus the hold is accessible EVERYwhere onboard.

For personal day-to-day business most people get by easily enough with just a sailboat.

Hi,

I would like to know what the "best" (will define best in a minute) ship option would be for a solo player.

If you want only 1 ship, or a first ship, a sailboat.

Sailboat is low cost, acceptable speed, and can carry as much as a small cart. A must have!

Then, if you do some bulk trades, but don't like to travel a lot, a Knarr additionally.

Knarr is the most versatile ship for huge loads, just a bit slow. You'll love it! Basically it's a big sailboat with large storage.

Or, if you are adventurous, grab a Cog besides your sailboat.

It's the fastest of all ships, but heavily dependent of the winds, and not easy to command. It has a good capacity too, and as soon as you have tamed it, you'll never think of selling it again.

You might want to have a rowboat additionally, to mark fishing spots, or for dredging.

Corbita is the cheap nephew to Knarr and Cog, slow as the one, difficult as the other. Avoid, even if the prices are more friendly - they reflect the usefulness! Doesn't mean a Corbita is a bad ship at all, it has its uses for sure, but if you're asking about "best" it's out.

Caravel is for bragging, same cargo as Knarr, less speed as Cog, but much bigger! Yes, we're building one ;-)))

Check Wurmpedia for the details. I'd get me a sailboat first. Then a Knarr, or a Cog, or a rowing boat, depends.

No, I don't sell boats. Have a good time, and best luck with your choice!

• Like 1

Actually for solo journeys with little cargo I prefer a rowboat, since the wind has less negative impact upon travel speed than a sailboat. Knarr of course is the king of transport for capacity with shallow water drafts being considered, although they can be expensive to purchase.

=Ayes=

I <3 my Cogs & the Caravel has very good turning and better angles into the wind.

Sailboat is actually a really overall boat in a lot of situations if you are just straight line traveling and need to go back in forth without a lot of stuff.

Knarr I Like for dredging

Edited by Protunia

...although they can be expensive to purchase.

=Ayes=

Five finger discount

Knarr for all the reasons noted above, and a rowboat, Because its easiest to dredge from a rowboat, and its the only ship/boat a non premium character can command.

I also love my Cog but again very wind dependant and the draft is large compared to the rowboat/ sailboat & knarr.

The Cog is the fastest ship in a gale, up to 33 kmh, but in a breeze it does maybe 3kmh when you push, cross wind it can even go backwarrds. The Knarr however can still do about 7 kmh in a breeze and goes up to 25 kmh in a gale, and even more when you have passengers.

It happened often that I started out in a gale and then it quickly cooled town to a breeze. So nowadays I almost always use the Knarr.

A Sailboat/Corbita combination is good when you can't get one of the more difficult ships. Corbita is as big as it gets and Sailboat is fast enough, but not as fast as the Knarr.

The Caravel doesn't reach the top speed of a cog, but when it turns and cuts the wind beter it might be worth more than just bragging rights.

Edited by Keldun
  • Like 1

I second/third/whatever the knarr/rowboat. As others have said, for light back n forth commuting, a rowboat or sailboat. Personally? I still prefer to row. Sure, it's not as fast, but try driving that sailboat against the wind... Same goes for the knarr. Not as fast overall, but the first time you are coming around the SW corner of the server against the wind the whole way you'll be curing only having sail power as you tac back and forth and back and forth. I have a couple of times now utterly outrun a sailboat in my rowboat for that reason. That said? Go for rides with friends, get a feel for the other boats. You may not mind only having sails.

Also this depens on server too, Celebration is a knarr server, any other cargo vessel will require you to take big detours or to drag/push/pull wich is painfull.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Manny, April 3, 2013 - spam
Hidden by Manny, April 3, 2013 - spam

All products shown on Tauramall.com are available to buy right now, either as single samples or larger wholesale orders. There is no Minimum Order Quantity.

Welcome to our website to have a look,We are the professional children's website. :-)

http://www.tauramall.com/Toddler-Boy-Summer-Outdoor-Casual-Set-p2023.html

Thank you a lot to all of you for the great advises; and sorry if I couldn't "like" all of them - it's not my fault, but of the daily limit. :P

Yeep, what most people said, Knarr and Sailboat :D

I'll leave the explanations as to why to the above posts to avoid making a giant paragraph