Sign in to follow this  
Thromboli

Wurmwiki App - Fixed And Improved!

What's New:

Added background image and tailored the history buttons to be more appealing.

Description:

I've been playing this game off and on for about a year to play with a friend of mine, and he was commenting to me how annoying it was to have to alt-tab to a browser to check the wiki for info and risk being exposed and vulnerable while the game was not the active window, and then the lag and reload when alt-tabbing back. He wanted an app to browse the wiki, so I took up the challenge. It took me a while to figure it out, but here it is.

This app makes your wiki experience easier by taking it off the computer so you won't have to alt-tab every time you want to read a wiki page. All you have to do is look it up in the app and carry out the necessary action in the game without ever having to reallocate your computer's resources.

I hope this app is found useful. Please download it and try it out. The only permission required is Full Internet Access in order to access the wurmwiki website.

Screenshots!:

shot_000008.pngshot_000009.pngshot_000010.png

The two logo images in this app are directly from the wurmwiki webpage, and thus are not mine. The history buttons and background I made by modifying screenshots I took ingame.

Here's the original post:

http://forum.wurmonl...-wurm-wiki-app/

I have been in communication with a GM about my app in regards to the closing of the original thread. I have resolved the major issues with this app that caused the original thread to be locked and the link removed, but it still is not on the Play Store because that costs money. This means you still have to enable unknown sources.

To enable "Unknown Sources", goto...

Settings -> Applications -> Unknown Sources

or

Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources

To ease the concerns of the user Archaegeo from the original thread (and others who share a similar apprehension), there are no viruses, the app has no permissions to modify any files, and it is written to only access the wurmwiki page.

Bugs:

The only one that I know of is when you tap a link on a wiki page to load another wiki page, it momentarily shows a "page not found" page. This has something to do with the Asynctask process where the page is downloaded and processed in the background while the web browsing activity happens in the foreground. The page loads about a second or two later.

File:

If I haven't scared you away by saying the words Issues, Unknown, Viruses, Permissions, Modify, and The, then click on the link and check out my app and let me know if it helps you out!

https://dl.dropbox.c...80/WurmWiki.apk

If you are reading this in your browser on your computer, you can use a barcode scanner on this image to download to your phone!

QRCode-wurmwiki.png

Edited by Thromboli
  • Like 1

Just put it on my phone :P Thanks! Ill add more once I start using it.

• Like 1

Downloaded and will try on my Nook Color. More soon. Works fine for me with the exception of the Settings, it doesn't open anything. Beyond that, it quickly retrieves information from searches and displays it well. Pretty handy. Thanks for this!

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Works fine for me with the exception of the Settings, it doesn't open anything.

I haven't implemented any settings yet. A semi-new version of the android development kit sets up the settings menu by default, and I kinda forgot about it. Any idea what may be some good things to put in the settings menu?

Although I applaud anyone making apps, I have to point out that the native MediaWiki site works fine on most smartphones without the need for an app.

Nice work and I hope others get good use out of this.

Sorry OP, no offense was intended, but you were somoen with 1 post, and that post being, hey, try this app, turn off security first.

It still seems unusual to me, but i hope you get use out of it.

But why do you need this app vice just going to the webpage with your browser?

Also, you still want people to change their phones to allow unknown sources, who is to say this app will not do other things, shrug.

I wish you well, but if you cannot see where caution would apply with this type of post, then you need to revisit internet security in general.

I do understand your concern and appreciate that you're watching out for others. I could have been a little more descriptive in my post to perhaps explain that I write android apps as a hobby and it's something I enjoy. I like to be helpful where I can, and I hope this app will help anyone who wishes to use it.

Sorry OP, no offense was intended, but you were somoen with 1 post, and that post being, hey, try this app, turn off security first.

It still seems unusual to me, but i hope you get use out of it.

But why do you need this app vice just going to the webpage with your browser?

Also, you still want people to change their phones to allow unknown sources, who is to say this app will not do other things, shrug.

I wish you well, but if you cannot see where caution would apply with this type of post, then you need to revisit internet security in general.

:P allowing unknown sources just means that it isnt on the app store. I have a few apps that needed that enabled for :P Plus you can always get an anti virus for your phone, there's several free ones.

Ive noticed that this is actually faster than my browser is at looking things up. he also has it set up so that you can go by catagories instead of searching if youd like.

• Like 1

:P allowing unknown sources just means that it isnt on the app store. I have a few apps that needed that enabled for :P Plus you can always get an anti virus for your phone, there's several free ones.

Ive noticed that this is actually faster than my browser is at looking things up. he also has it set up so that you can go by catagories instead of searching if youd like.

Thanks for the defense statement :P

And thanks for the app compliment! Glad it's faster!

• Like 1

Anyone find anything that needs fixing? Or maybe got an idea for an improvemeont? Shoot it my way!

Anyone find anything that needs fixing? Or maybe got an idea for an improvemeont? Shoot it my way!

Make it work on iOS?

Make it work on iOS?

Hehe someday. iOS apps are written in Objective-C while Android apps are written in Java. I plan on eventually getting around to learning Objective-C, but I'd like to have a better grasp of Java first. I'm learning how to develop games atm, and if this game idea I have turns out amazing, I'll definitely be looking at porting it to iOS! :) But that is a long way off unfortunately. :/

So I'm thinking about possible updates. I'm gonna make the back and forward buttons better, maybe even use the wood background from the game for the buttons! I've ben busy trying to get a better job, so I've spent more time on my resume than on this app. Hopefully I'll get this done soon!

• Like 1

Whoops forgot I posted this before. Disregard me :3

Edited by Radni

Sorry everyone, been away for quite a while. The good new is I got an IT job and I start monday!  Now that all that stress is over, I'll see if I can get back to work on my apps.

• Like 1