Sign in to follow this  
Archaegeo

N Q 6 - Part Two - Roads Go Ever Ever On....

Prologue: (Please read back to be familiar with the arc of the story)

NQ6 Part 1

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/77832-n-q-6-part-one-the-finale-im-sailing-away/

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

Quest Storyline

During the voyage to Release, Archaegeo revealed that he had been commissioned by the King to increase both commerce and travel between the realms of Pristine and Release. Originally, when Neosophy was built northwest of Blossom, it was believed that location would suffice. However, after living there a few months, he discovered that not only did shifting winds and distance make for a very long voyage to the southern neighbor, but that due to the popularity of the North there was not sufficient room to train the new traders the King had provided for this commission.

After moving to the south, Neosophy's Crown was formed, named in honor of the King's faith in Archaegeo. Three traders were trained, and, through a series of events, the general populace became aware of some of the events leading up to this journey. (NQ1-NQ5)

A group of those who cannot resist intrigue, along with those who had stuck their noses in previously, set sail from Moonshadow Harbor upon a cog sailed by Master Shipwright Tayne, and one helmed by Archaegeo himself, destination: Release.

One there, their goal was revealed. While Archaegeo will use the traders provided by the King to establish commercial relations, those on the two Cogs will seek out locations to build a King's Wayhouse, to help travellers find comfort and safety on long journeys.

Objectives

CONTEST ENDS AT 6:00pm PST (9:00pm EST, OMG Early GMT) on Wednesday, March 27th. No entries after this time will be considered. A three day poll will then be conducted for popular vote points (see below). Final winner to be announced Saturday, 30 March.

The objective is build a King's Wayhouse that is in a useful location, asthetically pleasing, and furnished for travellers' visits.

Anyone can win this, it does not require massive skills to accomplish the things below in one week. You may start on day six and, if noone else tried, win by making a simple 1x1 shack anywhere. Those on the initial journey simply get a head start.

Rules:

1) Each entry must take a before, during, and after picture of their location to document the construction.

2) Entries must be begun on wild land (Not on a deed or in a perimeter of a deed). You may deed the area if you wish after beginning, however the Wayhouse must be open to everyone and should remain so after the contest is over (though of course this would be up to the writ holder). Remember that you can hold a deed on Release even if you hold one on Pristine.

3) Entries must consist at a minimum of a 1x1 Wayhouse (and thus a contestant could be finished in a couple of hours).

4) Entries may consist of a maximum of a 11x11 (default deed size) location, with up to 5x5 used for the Wayhouse (any height, but structure must be complete before contest ends).

5) Teamwork is allowed, but only one person who holds the Wayhouse writ and participated in its contruction will be eligible for the reward.

6) You should not start an entry within 10 tiles of the boundary of another entry (honor system).

7) You may obtain materials from the wild, or buy them off of Release denziens. Points will be lost for any actions cause ill-will with the native population

Judging Criteria:

1) Overall asthetic design (40 pts) - How does it look? One week is enough time for some vegetation to grow in, for you to build more than a 1x1 shack. This is a challenge of your ability to put together a design that looks asthetically appealing and makes good use of its space in one week. (Archaegeo's Points)

2) What does the general populace think? (20 points, based on poll results)

3) Amenities offered (20 pts) - Is there a bed? Is there a water source? Is there a means of obtaining food. Does it help travellers reach their destination (storage for horses)? Is it initally stocked with any materials?

4) Location, location, location (10 pts) - Is it in an easy to access, or more importantly, useful location for the traveller needing a place to stop for the night. Ideal locations would be at dangerous areas along major routes of travel.

5) Good Will (10 pts) - Did you do anything during the construction to garner good will with the natives? Points can be lost here if you angered members of Release through your actions.

Once your entry is complete, reply to this post with an entry containing:

1) Before, during, after pictures (I recommend using imgur.com). Screenshots can be taken by hitting F11 (default). You can turn off the UI by hitting F10. Location of the screenshots is revealed by hitting F1.

2) Marked location on this map http://impgal.site90.com/wurm/releasetpikols.jpg - If someone goes looking for it, they should find it based on map location. Download the jpg and use Paint to mark it if you wish.

3) Description of your Wayhouse: why you built it where you built it, why you think it should win.

Addtional Notes: I understand that if not deeded, others might grief or steal from your location. Hence do not post till complete, and be sure to follow Enclosure rules if needed. I will visit the ones I consider to be top contenders, but the majority of the points will come from your "travel brochure", i.e. your post below meeting conditions 1-3 above.

Reward (Winner may choose second or third place prize if desired, second place will then choose, and leftover goes to third place)

Grand Prize: A New Cog, in wood of winners choice (Donated by Tayne, a 20s value)

Second Place: A mystery package of prizes (Worth more or less than 5 silver)

Third Place: 5 silver

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

• Like 1

Others hearing of the potential rewards are now sailing for Release to work on this challenge.

((As a reminder, when you finish, you get to keep the writ, so it is not like your work is for nothing))

As a reminder, all entry posts must be made prior 6pm PST on Wednesday. Any entries made after that point will not be counted.

Entries may NOT be edited after the deadline, editing after the deadline will result in disqualification

15 Hours to make your posts. Entries after that point will be void.

Good thing I got screenshots taken last night... someone rolled through and stole everything not nailed down. Writeup incoming as I get time at work.

Ooh, glad you did, too bad about the theft, shoulda left house writ set to noone till time :(

Wish people could keep their hands off things that dont belong to them

Edited by Archaegeo

Writ is set to no access most of the time, but I had an unexpected trip to the ER for the wife last night and forgot to re-lock it on my way out... Mostly just means I'll have to buy a replacement QL70 large anvil to replace the one I borrowed from an ally. The rest is replaceable from what I have on hand. Well, except the horse, but that was just petty. I don't need a horse on that server anyways.

Mine will be coming later on tonight; trying to finish up some last minute stuff and starting my write-up at the same time. ;)

Please don't miss the deadline. I have to be a stickler on this, good luck to everyone

When I get home from work, I'll ping you Mynli. If there last minute cleanup to be done, I can try and give you a hand. Was going to do that last night when I finished up, but yeah... see aforementioned ER trip.

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear about that - hope everyone is okay!

I'm hoping to head back home to Pristine late tonight - I don't know how many a rowboat holds, but we'll be going right past you if you need a ride back up. :)

Thx for the offer. I have my rowboat parked there as well. Going to hopefully grab a larger boat to get some of the larger items back (still have 2 rafts full of tools and supplies) or else just make 2-3 rowboat trips.

Haha, wow, that's pretty crazy! I don't have much to clean up - if you're on when I head back, I'd be happy to give you a hand bringing stuff back if you want. I have to stop by Moonshadow to pick up my horse, so I'll be headed in your general direction anyway. :)

Gnat you know i'm good for transportation at our normal price.

As for the theft.. well, ONE of my party happens to have spent some time leveling the tracking skill... Pretty sure we know who it was... I'd caught the person snooping around once before and he logged off the minute I logged on. Said person has tracks less than a day old all over the place, including where our carts were parked.

Man, it just amazes me sometimes that there are people like that in Wurm. Most of the folks I know are awesome, would give you the shirt off their back types - and then there's stuff like that. /sigh

Btw, Arch - you want our final posts describing our projects to go in this thread, right?

Welcome to Oldenmarsh!

Gnat paced frantically back and forth on the rolling deck of the ship, muttering under his breath. His companion Roja, long since used to his borderline insane ramblings, calmly watched him, able to make out a few words here and there.

“Archaegos … King … way station … trade … Watcher … commerceâ€

She turned to watch the coastline of Release pass by silently. Towering cliffs, sandy beaches, and grassy hillsides rolled past slowly until suddenly…

“That’s it!†exclaimed Gnat, “Captain Tayne, this is the spot! Heave to and unload our gear!â€

“What? Here?†she replied, eyeing the festering marsh Gnat was excitably pointing at.

“This is the spot!†he shot back, a mad gleam in his eye. “The Watcher told me so! The King wants a way station to promote trade and commerce between Pristine and Release… and this is the place. We are right on the main waterway between the two, in an easily accessible location by both naval and land traffic… once the road is built of course. And better yet, we would not be using up any land that our new neighbors could possibly find desirable for their own uses!â€

With that proclamation, he launched himself over the rail, landing with a squelch in the soupy marshland below.

Storyline aside, I am quite sure Roja thought I had gone as insane as my character (Rank 5, Path of Insanity) when I elected to build our way station, quite literally, in the middle of a marshland. But, in our eyes and in our interpretations of the goals of this mission, it suited our goals perfectly. Promote trade between the servers? OK. That means boats. That means, of course, coastline. As I am sure everyone is painfully aware, coastal property is quite hotly contested in Wurm. So we went to the unexpected. The section of swamp we chose already formed a bit of a peninsula sticking out into the water.

By building here, we hoped to accomplish several things:

1. Provide a trading post easy to access from both sides of the server border. Our location in the NE corner of the map makes us somewhere centralized to a large portion of the population of both servers. We took into account how both servers, despite having the initial spawns more westerly, were more open for naval travel on their eastern side. Easier coastlines and multiple islands will naturally promote a higher population.

2. Allow future connection to the mainland road network. Road planning is outside the 11x11 size allowed for this mission, but we have mapped out a couple possible routes for one. This allows those inland, or who choose to not use boats, the same access to the cross-server market.

3. Provide useful navigation info. At the time I spotted this marsh, Tayne had actually let me drive the Cog for a while, and I darn near ran it aground due to the shallowness of the water at a couple places along this coast. That helped me solidify the form and function of a couple aspects of our build.

That said. I started to doubt my OWN sanity about 3 days in, when the reality of trying to plank over 100 tiles of marsh sunk in. For point 3 above, that prompted us to make it even harder on ourselves. We ended up actually raising something like 15 tiles out of the water, eliminating the shallow tiles and pushing our waterfront further out into the water. This also allowed us to be mindful of our neighbors and their potential future expansion plans by keeping us further outside their perimeters.

After that, it was a simple matter to decide on a classic lighthouse for the building form, and a fairly standard dock setup for both small and large boats. By pushing the coastline out, and sanding the edges, it is safe to bring the largest of boats right up next to the dock.

So, as you can see in the screenies (below):

We built a lighthouse Inn. I wish the game code allowed the lights to truly shine, cuz man are they bright. 4 furnished bedrooms on the ground floor, each has a bed and meditation rug (it needed the color). The kitchen has Oven, FSB, and BSB (loaded with thousands of wood scraps for the fire). We added the table and stools for decoration, and another med rug for needed color. We would have added more furniture, but sadly you cannot even sit on chairs yet so we skipped it for now. We really like how the freedom isles banners fit into the stone wall windows, looks nice. We made 4 merchant stalls by the docks, with a side area where more could be added alter if needed. Again, we like the look of the flags and banners, so we used quite a few for decoration. And, after all, it *is* the Kings way station.

For land travelers, there are 4 1x2 grassed enclosures. Enough to permit leaving the horses hitched to a locked cart for security, and still having grazing room. There is 20 tiles worth of farming space to keep travelers fed, and currently there are a cow and a breeding set of pigs to initiate a meat and dairy supply. The waterfront is protected by iron fences, though since not deeded swimming monsters might still be a problem. The entire area is well-lit though, so you have warning if something decides to attack, and the house has an exit into the fenced-in enclosure so you wont be ambushed on exit.

As for the neighbors, we like to think I’ve made some new friends. We’ve already had offers to join two different alliances if we deed the site, and one of the merchant stalls has already been occupied by a passing merchant. In locating Iron for construction, we helped a neighbor find a new Iron vein and set up a new secure mine. I hope that, if we do not deed here (money is tight), someone will step up and keep the place in good shape because we really love what we’ve created.

So, I’ve been long winded enough, feel free to stop by and visit Oldenmarsh Lighthouse and Inn. The screenshots I’ve included do not do it justice. And by all means, if you are a craftsman, well, there are 3 merchant stalls left unoccupied.

How it looked when we arrived:

YxLjnqI.jpg

And now some in-progress shots:

QOkxstj.jpg

f38eYJl.jpg

(yes, the house really DID go up in less than one day)

1Q0PKY1.jpg

And a couple finished shots:

odjuZPg.jpg

11Sj71O.jpg

And not the best shot, but I love the lighthouse effect:

Z4UamkZ.jpg

I have a LOT more screenshots up here:
/>http://imgur.com/a/CNoOa

And, how to find us:

ZF5PzMq.jpg

Edited by GnatTheGnome
  • Like 1

Yes May, in this thread, ill start a new thread for the polling.

Gnat,

its [ spoiler ] at the start and [ /spoiler ] at the end (without the spaces)

Test

My entry is called Thornblade.

Built on the waterfront it is located at 23x, 4y along the northern shore of Release. It is easy to find for ships sailing south from Blossom and south from the middle of Pristine. The building is 5x2 with a 3x2 second floor. There is a nice dock and a stable area. Has a mine with iron and several slate veins uncovered.

Most of the work involved roadwork. I built a path up and over the hill and connected it to the highway which I extended to the base of the mtn behind the waystation. On the lower floor is a forge and oven for the travelers to eat and repair thier tools and armor. With an area for merchants and traders. Upstairs on the second floor are 3 beds for them to rest their weary bodied during their visits.

One of the main goals I had was for it to be useful without taking and valuable land from the locals. I chose an unused area and made the land along the water where there otherwise was just a cliff. It was alot of fun building and I hope the server finds it a useful place. Thanks to Archaegeo for all he did to make this possable.

Archaegeo taking us on a journey.

XEVN5Li.jpg

Where it all started. Unfortunately some of me beginning screenshots of the area were blank.

FoEf3UP.jpg

After teraforming was done.

UNJ2yP0.jpg

KUrovE3.jpg

pYD6n9S.jpg

Finished Roads

wZFN451.jpg[

aRM6TSC.jpg

8t7vDDW.jpg

5Y4XXSs.jpg

PZ8f9YO.jpg

Construction