Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Item Count Per Floor Level

Return it back to unlimited THEN everyone happy

• Like 2

... I have not adequate words to express my displeasure

Please revert this.

It detracts tremendously from gameplay. For many, myself included, wurm is enjoyed mainly as a sandbox game and this makes *no* sense in that light. As is shown in a number of posted screen shots, we take great delight in arranging our things creatively and making things just so.

This update is asinine. If we can no longer do this then what is the point anymore? I don't want to log onto a game and be restricted to these 5 (or 10 or 15, you get the point) "decoration" limitations. I have no interest in playing a game that ends up amounting to grindiing skills and wandering around an ugly house looking at sparce tiles filled with ugly containers to hold things that I would have liked to have on the tile for both decorative and functional purposes.

I wholeheartedly agree with Alyeska - "Please work on actual optimization of the code to reduce rendering lag, not workaround it by putting in hard caps on what we can drop on a tile. And don't come up with some half assed "fix" by increasing the cap, just remove the damn cap entirely. It's not needed and just frustrating.' And also with Xallo, "Instead of limiting decorational items, just don't allow people to add more things into item piles unless the entire tile has less than 100 items, including decorational items.This is probably why people were 'losing' stuff. They didn't realize by removing a few mixed grass from their pile that the rest of the hidden stuff would show up again."

If having rooms decorated as beautifully as those posted is living in too much "clutter" to be allowable (as the current game message states when the limit of 5 is reached) then I must say I am losing much interest in this game and it's capabilities. This is not even to mention how inconvient this new "fix" can be (for instance having to rummage through piles of things in containers to find the one you are looking for... whereas before you could have simply set them where you wished and easily located them by sight)

I'd also like to point this out from the wurmonline main page:

"Welcome to Wurm, the game of limitless opportunity and freedom, where the actions of every player can make a lasting difference. We offer no character classes, quests or a pre-built environment. Instead, we offer players the opportunity to choose their own direction and to train any or all of the skills they desire while living in a breathing and evolving world entirely built and maintained by the players that inhabit it. Become a part of our active and involved community, and play the game you want to play in the way you want to play it! This is Wurm. Be prepared to leave your mark. Try it now for free!'

If this is the way wurm will go then I think the description of the game needs to be changed stat. I am disgusted by an update of this type in what was such an immersive, limitless sandbox game.

• Like 7

PLEASE FIX!

Thank you for when you do fix it, I can't imagine they'll leave it like this with how many upset players have responded.

Please revert. For people who make bulk lamps for sale alone this is a bad revision. Near a forge you need to have anvil and water barrel and bulk bin. That is 4 alone. make 5 lamps to drop and you are out of space. I understand what you are trying to do but please find a better way.

• Like 1

Please revert. For people who make bulk lamps for sale alone this is a bad revision. Near a forge you need to have anvil and water barrel and bulk bin. That is 4 alone. make 5 lamps to drop and you are out of space. I understand what you are trying to do but please find a better way.

Make a large cart and put the lamps in that.

Make a large cart and put the lamps in that.

Or better, make small cart and put Protunia inside. Then push that cart from slope.

and then remove this 5 items on tile limit, it is horrible solution

Edited by Zakerak
  • Like 6

5 on one tile is plenty.

No it's not, and even you know that. Please don't play the -1 game today.

5 on one tile is plenty.

just look on xallos pictures on this side, his "bedroom" is looking like a very nice and kinda even realistic bedroom, but this is not possible anymore because of this update.

also it seems alot more things are considered " decoration" now that clearly arent? is that a bug? I mean forges are no decoration at all! beds arent too! chests and bsbs and stuff should count as containers not as decoration.....heck most things in wurm have a function and under decoration I understand purely cosmetic stuff like banners and rugs, tables and stuff....

The pile count fix is appreciated... though not too crazy about the five limitation.

I think i could live with like a 25-30 limit instead of 100.. but 5.. what the hell :(

Its a bit troublesome that the other small (and much asked for) updates get completely overshadowed by the item-limit-one XP

The MOTD is a great alternative for the bulletin-board suggestion and the longer name in gifts is good for many people to (like my main "Parasiticentity" who had to call a gm to open his presents because it usually was for parasitic.. XD)

Its a bit troublesome that the other small (and much asked for) updates get completely overshadowed by the item-limit-one XP

The MOTD is a great alternative for the bulletin-board suggestion and the longer name in gifts is good for many people to (like my main "Parasiticentity" who had to call a gm to open his presents because it usually was for parasitic.. XD)

Who cares for good updates if theres a bad one dropping it down everytime?

Tbh, rolf should do all FAIL updates (big list probably) on mondays, and add good ones on friday for everyone to be happy about. That way we can whine at him for fixing the bad things through the week and everyone is happy in the weekend.

If rolf so says the limit was made, then lets say we were allowed to put a 100 on. Why doesn't rolf just remove the limit of 5 per tile,but instead still count whats on the top and bottom floors to match a total 100, that system was way better.

After carefully and patiently reading the posts so far I have a couple of questions and suggestions (I cant test in the moment since I will not be able to log in till friday)

• Item count now works per layer in a structure. Due to the rendering issues this may cause, you may only put 5 non-pile items (we call them decorations) per floor level tile in a house.

As I understand it , it is now possible to place items like a bsb on top of a bsb or even 5 bsb on a same tile. First at all I would like to ask if thats true :)... In case that is I want to thank the developers for this new update :) ...

Now , of cause , and i think developers know about it , the 5 Items per tile cant be a permament solution ... For that i would like to suggest some things:

+ make for each item a limit like maximum of 5 forges , 3 beds ... but dont let those limits affect each other so u can actually place 5 forges and 3 ovens on the same tile(the limit should be slitly more then what would look nice - noone can say that 100 forges or barrels sticking in each other look nice or realistic in any how and that - in my opinion - should be limited... ) for instance on one tile fit about 49 small barrels without sticking in each other so a limit of 50 small barrels should be alright - anything more is so unesthethic that the creater of such eyepain should be punished :) ... but ofcause there could be the posibility of stacking things ontop of each other wich would make it look nice and would provide the posibility of having more then 50 small barrels on one tile like:

+ make some storage item like a barrel-store pile , wich u can create and place and put a certain amount of barrels in (like maximum of 49 barrels, which will be a wall height and height ). The barrel pile should grow with each barrel put in, show the barrels colour/textures and it should be possible to open/select/etc each individual barrel without opening the barrelpile. An Image to see what i mean with a barrelpile:

13141135540UpF42.jpg

Similar things could be done with small chests or other pickable items (lamps, signs, practice doll , hell even meditation rugs :) ) as mentioned in my first point there could be a limit of how many of these piles are possible on one tile - i reackon 4 (for each wall) would be alright , but even 3 should be enough

About the nametag and presents : Well It was a fix which needed to be done - cant say much about it other then thx :)

About the Village message : Finally its there :) like it very much ... thank u for that as well

Now a overall:

The Patch brought to us some needed fixes and new possibilities. Even though the Limitation needs fixing , it is alright as a temporary solution and i can live with it - for now. As with all things made by human this patch is not perfect but a good step in the right direction :) ... For all those haters out there just complaining with no productive argumentations , pls go buy urself some books about Java, Networking, Graphicsprogramming and go study. If u keep it up for one or two years u may be possible to volunteer here as a developer and put heaps of work into a new patch to bring the game foward just to get flamed at from people like you who cant see the big picture but just the little limitation a temporary solution gives them... Being a programmer myself I know its sometimes important to go and remove some things to make a path to improve those very things one day. Maybe one day drakes need to be removed cause they are not compatible with some new awsome thing programmed , then need to be rewritten and will come back a other day. Just keep calm and patient :)

Suggestion to the developers: maybe u should post in the blog as well when u have changed something that "takes away" something for us if u want to change that permamently or it is just a temporary solution :)

end of the wall,

Phyko

• Like 1

Well, then he should simply have mentioned its only for a week to test things out, many things are changed and stay permanently.. its not hard to mention that. Nice post tho Phyko. Too bad i'm not nice enough to post like that :) -- You can see rolf has quit playing, all bad changes happening again :)

Edited by whykillme

Glad I only use large carts with rafts to store items that won't go in bins. Wurm needs to face the fact that players love to horde and find ways to make such pursuits technically possible. Nerfing players because the current technologies and player actions are stressing resources should not be the solution.

- Bigger forges so you don't need as many. Is it really going to break the game if a forge was 2 or 3 times larger inside?

- Instant cooling option, so I don't need and extra cooling forge.

- Bigger containers in general so we have a place to put all that stuff we pile up. like: large armoire, barrel racks, tool racks, big tall crates, drastic increase in armor stand holding capacity,

- Section separators inside bulk bins or perhaps compartment contraptions so we don't need 9 bulk bins for different quality ranges.

- small portable bulk bins, raft and small barrel size. It's weight should reflect contents.

- Put more then 100 items in a container assuming excess volume is available.

• Like 2

Please revert this change of 5 "decorations" per tile its totally amusing, is uncalled and mess with working areas, just having a forge a large anvil and a barrel eats half your useable space in the tile, and if you have a tools chest and a bsb then you can´t drop anithing non apilable as lamps you are imping or barrels, etc.

This does apply per floor of the house right??

Also was there not an issue with placing items on each floor above and it that still a problem now?

Rolf, I ask you to play your game after each of your bright ideas. As some of these things you keep doing feels like ya don't even play it to even know wat the hell your killing. after seeing the posts, then looking at my house 100 items per tile is enough, I have noticed tiles distances rendered are super short now my 65 tile egg farm yea ever 3 tiles 3 more tiles render. Stop with this madness and ask us before doing stuff like this, We pay your damn bills. Not you. You are suppose to make us happy and when we are happy, so is are wallets. Piss us off and are wallets pay for something else. So start doing good changes to the game we as a community want and revert this crap u did and Start ASKING us before u do this stuff.

I think it had to be done because of multi-story.

So why not base it on the number of floors a house has?

If its one story if can have as many as a 10 story.

people are spamming items a record pace now with rares here and that seems to be part of the problem.

why does it have to be creation that has a better chance to make the items rare???

if it was the other way around with imping being the main successful chance people would spam less items I think.

people are spamming items a record pace now with rares here and that seems to be part of the problem.

why does it have to be creation that has a better chance to make the items rare???

if it was the other way around with imping being the main successful chance people would spam less items I think.

Srry but rare items as nothing to do with this, the 100 items per tile limit allways existed, and the items people spam in search of rarity are pilables, allmost all of them, and you still can have a 100 items pile, the problem are the items not fitting on piles like barrels, lamps, lanterns, flags, banners, etc, and i really doubt someone spam barrels or banners to see if he get a rare one :P

The spamming of items for rares is not the issue here. It's easy to sac the excess and make more. It's more about being able to decorate your nice new building. Who wants to build a big building and just have a bare shell? No, you want to add lights, banners, rugs, beds, tables, chairs, coffins, looms, etc. And you want to place them in a fashion that is pleasing to the eye. This 5 decorations per tile limit just keeps it all looking rather spartan and bare.

Then there is the issue with players like myself and Headhunter, who work with dyes. It is much easier to keep track of all your colors by painting the barrel it is stored in and place them on the floor so you can see them at a glance. I know how much this has hit me in the warehouse, I don't dare pick up any barrels now, as I have to take them out to another building if I do. We all do creation work that is sometimes easier to just drop on the floor until we are finished, then pick them all up to use them. This limit stops that and forces us to keep moving things about in order to continue creating. No one is going to try to keep 100 lamps on a tile forever, but it's alot easier if you are creating a bunch for an order to drop them and make the next one, keeping the forge with some free space inside.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Let me join the crowd: this item limit is horrible!

Who benefits from it? You put a ridiculous limit on everyone, so I guess the benefits must be huge?

You don't do the stuff that people ask for every second day, you don't fix bugs, you don't optimize - but you do THIS. So I guess the reasons are really serious?

Let us know the reasons. Is this an attempt to stop servers from meltdown? Is this a temporary step toward some new feature? Your wife plays Wurm and told you to do it? You just wanted to annoy the hell out of everyone? It was a random thing that voices in your head told you to do? Give us ANY reason, next time I'll login and see "you can only put 3 items on a tile", I'll know "oh, that's because of xxx".

Edited by Hula_Girl

Sign in to follow this