Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Item Count Per Floor Level

Well I've got like 30 small barrels, 7 cauldrons, an FSB and a small cart in one tile. I'm not moving or picking anything up since I won't be able to put it back. I'm gonna keep it this way until the devs fix whatever rendering problems we didn't know we were afflicted with. :P

Ayes, I was curious about the same thing. On my retesting, I did find that piles do not count as decorations, so yes Ayes, you can have a pile on the same tile with 5 non-pile items. This still causes me issues with all my barrels of dye, wine, syrup, oil, etc. Forcing me to consider a much larger building or going multistory, which I didn't want in my warehouse.

As far as I remember, you can put 8 or more small barrels in a coffin :)

As far as I remember, you can put 8 or more small barrels in a coffin :)

Which would mean I would have to inspect each barrel of dye to see what was in it. I prefer to paint the barrels with the dye inside, so I can quickly see which barrel I want. And I don't know if wine barrels fit in the coffins yet, but I'll bet they won't.

Correction: Wine barrels will fit in a coffin, I lose the bet.

Still don't like a solution to a problem that causes new problems.

Edited by Vroomfondel

I can no longer meditate in my house, I can't make and imp things like signs in my house and have a place to put them, I can't have BSBs separated by QL ranges without pushing tons of things up stories that I haven't built yet because I don't want a big house. If you're going to limit decoration items per tile, it has to be more than 5, because this just is not working at all. My house has become mostly non-functional and I don't want to have to build a stupid tower or a mansion.

Making more container decorations is not a solution. I don't want a coffin for small barrels. I don't want a boat in my living room. I want to be able to organize things in chests and barrels and the like according to how much visible room there is on the tile. Five small barrels or armour stands do not visibly fill a tile in any way whatsoever, and the limit makes things look totally unbalanced. I can't even build the table and chairs I was hoping for at some point.

It's great that the items per level has been fixed, but this other limit was not something I wanted to wake up to at all.

Edit: I also forgot. Even if I did want to make my house bigger, to make it big enough I would need a much higher paving skill to get the upper floors. There is no room to expand horizontally in this village at all, and I don't have the time or inclination to grind paving to be able to have a functional, yet ugly house.

Edited by Veryth
  • Like 1

Cough cough revert and retry a new method

• Like 1

5 items is ridiculous, I couldn't drop a small chest in my house and it's pretty much empty apart from 2 forges a bsb a large barrel and a fireworks....

• Like 1

Just revert the 5 items per tile change. Most houses literally aren't big enough for all the stuff you need in them now.

I think 5 is a little extreme we need at least 10 I have a tile now with my bed, 2x lg chest, 1x sm chest, one meditation rug, 2x kingdom flags and one of the armor stands on it it does not feel cramped to me but under the 5 per rule I could not add anything new or move anything without losing the look I wanted

Edit: Here are two tiles that we would not be able to make under the new rules and i don't see them as excessive we need at least 10 per tile.

vB6ahOG.jpg

qp4LcJK.jpg

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Remove the restrictions please. I'm fine with all the animation/graphic updates (that I don't want or need, because they add nothing to my gameplay) as long as it doesn't affect the actual game. I'd rather you guys cut down on unnecessary graphics and other things that have made the memory usage so much worse compared to a year ago.

MotD is nice though.

• Like 1

Again i think proper clarification is required...

What items are "tile decorations"?

A Single Tile is a tile per floor? Or is it the Tile column (meaning that 5 items on ground floor will disalow items above)?

If just about anything that doesn't create a pile is a "decoration" and if the tile = tile column. Then 5 items is not nearly enough. Might as well revert to how it was, i mean yay we can get items on upper floors, but then you can't even put as many items on the ground floor as originaly possible... Improving for the worse is not a great improvement.

Partially tested what you questioned, Reaver, by putting 1 small barrel on the same tile for each floor. No limit that way, I was able to put one on all 10 floors in my tower. Didn't try to max out each tile to see if it still holds true then.

Partially tested what you questioned, Reaver, by putting 1 small barrel on the same tile for each floor. No limit that way, I was able to put one on all 10 floors in my tower. Didn't try to max out each tile to see if it still holds true then.

Cool then its item count per tile/floor.

Not as bad as it could be.

yes but now houses will be more empty and we are limited now wat we can store per tile, This is dumb as your saying the tile isn't big enough for say 6 chests etc. this should be changed to atleast 15.

• Like 1

This is irritating. Instead of making restrictions, you should be looking to fix the bug that caused items to disappear instead of just trying to cover it up.

There is already occlusion culling that limits the render distance of interior items of houses to only 6 tiles. This helps drastically with optimization.

I see no performance changes, but rather only annoying 'fixes' that make the game less enjoyable to play.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 4

Bah, this sucks. New decorations are being added and updated so we can customaize and decorate our houses, and now youre limited to 5 per tile. Thats what, a bed, banner, lamp, rug, and chest? You couldnt even put a waterbarrel or an altar there anymore, or even drop a statuette or whatever. Please work on actual optimization of the code to reduce rendering lag, not workaround it by putting in hard caps on what we can drop on a tile.

And don't come up with some half assed "fix" by increasing the cap, just remove the damn cap entirely. It's not needed and just frustrating.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 5

This is a before of what you could potentially make a bedroom look like:

c2d78.png

This is how it is now, except I think I have 6 tile decorations on the tile...:

d6dfb.png

• Like 4

Which would mean I would have to inspect each barrel of dye to see what was in it.

True, I didn't think of that. Maybe work (alongside with optimizing rendering code) on some sort of item collision system so that will be the only limit to how much people can stuff on tiles.

True, I didn't think of that. Maybe work (alongside with optimizing rendering code) on some sort of item collision system so that will be the only limit to how much people can stuff on tiles.

There already is code for that, essentially. There is a 100 item limit per item pile which does include decorational items if you just dump it on the floor. You can easily override that by opening the pile and adding more until it reaches 100 items.

Instead of limiting decorational items, just don't allow people to add more things into item piles unless the entire tile has less than 100 items, including decorational items.

This is probably why people were 'losing' stuff. They didn't realize by removing a few mixed grass from their pile that the rest of the hidden stuff would show up again.

Edited by Xallo

I'm really getting ******* tired of this **** happening EVERY SINGLE TIME. Every update we get our hopes up, for something good to happen, there are definitely good things each update, and then BOOM, I HAVE A GREAT IDEA, WHY NOT, LETS ADD SOMETHING TOTALLY ()A&*()&@#($&@#U()*#!JOIDPMJ STUPID., LIKE MAX 5 ITEMS ON A TILE.

I have 100 barrels on 1 tile.

If i pickup any, where am i gonna put them? There is no barrel container where i can put them in, what rending when i just have to spam my barrels on every single tile of the deed? Do i have to make 50 ugly coffins?

A uncountable amount of Lamps, Banners, do i have to make 50 ugly coffins?

I have 6 items on a tile, and now i can't push them around because it so happens that last night i moved my house and nothing wa sin place yet, and now theres 6 items on a tile and i cant align them properly because theres more then 5 items on the tile and i cant push them around. THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT IDEA.

2efd7.jpg

7066c.jpg

Omg i just took a **** in this bucket, but now i can't return it to the pile of dirty items!

a5def.jpg

OH ****, I PICKED A LAMP WHAT NOW???

7d58a.jpg

77fc8.jpg

If i pickup any barrel, what will i do???? PANIC???

b9e8d.jpg

I can't even place an anvil next to my forge, because the tile is full. I can't push the girls into the forges because it looks awesome, THANK YOU FOR THIS CHANGE, I LOVE IT.

Forced to make 8x8 houses now??? Because i don't see other options, Thanks again!

Now let me guess, later this week we will hear "The item decoration cap is raised to 10" and everyone will be like YEAHH IM SO HAPPEHHH, but thats a nerf just slightly not nerfed as much.

Another thing, theres already the 6 tile limit for houses so stuff doens't render before that, was this really needed? lol...

They're also working on more decorations everytime, where are we going to place those in a broken system?

Edited by whykillme
  • Like 5

hmm, I have to follow most of the complaints here.

Rolf is probably frogetting that allot of players are doing very creative things by combining certain items, like Xallo's bedroom and whykillme's forges. (I even have rows and rows of large chests combined with coffins and beds to make a nice layout inside my house, not possible to expand anymore now :( )

I hope Rolf rolls it back to how it was, I dont think many people out there ever cared about rendering distance of items in houses anyways.

• Like 2

Obviously, what we need here are the new storage devices that have been asked for. Shelves, wardrobes, closets, cabinets. you know.... To store all those framerate killers, uh, I mean piles of 100 barrels/lamps/etc.

(a touch of sarcasm, and a touch of suggestion)

While we're at it... Barn structure that contains the animal collections and eliminates having to render them in the world. Or hell, maybe even an Ark for those that horde animals like Noah on a rainy day.

STAT!

Edited by Mouchard

I do think the 100 barrels are a little extreme not everyone has a barrel collection like that but most do have decoration that well exceeds the 5 count for sure. Even if it was raised to 10-15 it would be fine. Not sure why we are given all this space with multistory houses if we are not going to be able to decorate it the way we like.

• Like 3

I do think the 100 barrels are a little extreme not everyone has a barrel collection like that but most do have decoration that well exceeds the 5 count for sure. Even if it was raised to 10-15 it would be fine. Not sure why we are given all this space with multistory houses if we are not going to be able to decorate it the way we like.

If its extreme, then why is the item decoration limit introduced? If its only a few people it doesn't matter that its rendered for those, its just a stupid failed change that, even raising it to 10-15 would not be enough, i used to have 20 chests on 1 tile before to keep all my tools that didn't fit elsewhere, i don't see why stupid changes have to be added all the freaking time.

All I am saying is that if it can't be changed back then at least give us 10-15 that's better then 5 but yes if he can just lift it all together that would be better for sure.

Edited by Kegan

Even if it was raised to 10-15 it would be fine.

No it wouldn't.. Not if Rolf wants people to construct nice looking places. These decorations are tools people use to make their deed unique. I just took a quick stroll around my deed and tried to list all the different items I could find that are now capped items.

Small barrels, Large barrels, Large chests, Small chests, Beds, Coffins, Forges, Ovens, Foodbins, Bulkbins, Lamps (several types), Candelabras (four types), Statuettes (five types), Mailboxes (four types), Bow racks, Armour stands, Polearms racks, Weapon Racks, Wine barrels, Huge tubs, Oil tubs, Looms, Tables (several types), Chairs (two types), Stools, Benches, Meditating rugs (four types), Altars (four types), Banners, Flags, Large Anvils, Magic chests (two types), Signs (three types), Wells, Fountains (two types), Epic portals, Statues of all sorts, Christmas trees, Giftboxes, Archery targets, Hota statues of all sorts, Lanterns (two types), Christmas gifts (gnomes and fireworks).

Then there were the odd items that I wouldn't consider decorational, but will no go into piles so are also limited, items such as dredges, necklaces, felled trees, bracelets, pendulums, cauldrons, rafts - even corpses.

That's quite the list IMO, and that's just what I found on my deed. It's such a waste to have all these various decorations if we are limited to how many and where we can use them, for the sake of a "fix" that doesn't seem to do anything. I don't have any improved performance from this, at all.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this