Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

New Terraforming Options

• Archery on non-player creatures while penned or on another floor level now properly yields no skillgain since it’s too easy
  • A couple of archery skillgains that have been too fast recently were reduced

Rolf just said in IRC that the second line only refers to the penning skillgain nerf, accidental duplication of patch notes. There was no nerf to actual gain.

• You can no longer light campfires inside structures

Did Wurm get a citation from Smokey the Bear?

This renders the safety shacks along the public highways from spawn, pretty much useless until they are modified to have a back fence enclosure. It also means the noob building their first shack before he gets his garden area flattened and fenced has to go into the wild to cook his dinner.

So please explain why campfire use was nerfed to harm the noobs. My presumption would be the intent was to nerf ash grinders instead, and that would have been better accomplished by failing to light another fire if you already have one going.

Edited by yarnevk

Wurm was too newbie-friendly, this was a step in the right direction.

You can't breed specials anymore?!?!?! WHAT UTTER BS!! This is the first time I have been utterly disappointed by The devs.

• Like 1

Would be nice to have some clarification on to what is meant by "Special Types".

I like the bred in captivity thing, not a bad idea, breeding for FS kinda sucks anyhow.

I don't get why we can't make campfires inside structures, kinda stupid, really.

Edited by ReaverKane

Another from Rolf on IRC:

Special type means champion, raging, greenish, etc.

It was removed, because people were breeding fight skill.

We got him to change it so that champions can still be breed but breed ones don't give fight skill.

We got him to change it so that champions can still be breed but breed ones don't give fight skill.

So, a useless patch, if we consider that "bred in captivity" trait was already announced?

We do need changes to skill bashing, since the only proper way to gain skill with it is to bash captive animals.

I mean, normal fights i get 1-2 bashes in before slaying the beasts, or the beasts are too strong to be playing the "bash as much as you can" game (thinking trolls, lava fiends, scorpions, etc)

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/77164-it-is-no-longer-possible-to-breed-creatures-of-special-types/page__st__20#entry764158

Edited by ReaverKane

Wurm was too newbie-friendly, this was a step in the right direction.

But newbs don't build roofs

• Like 1

I just want to thank the dev team for the most coolest level option for terraforming!

It just made my day!

Just.... Thanks for the hard work! Luvya!

Edited by Devily

Wow way to make yet another spell utterly useless. 80 odd favor, 30min cd for 20damage on 1 tile?? Forget it sunshine.

There's a difference between making it less OP and nerfing something so much no one will now use it.

• Like 3

Solve one problem, make another though. taming and charming is pretty much useless and animal husbandry only worth it for horses.. Why not just make the offsprings can't give much fs gain? Or make it take investments more than the fs for breeding them? Give me back my dream zoo :( ..

Edited by rosedragon

Solve one problem, make another though. taming and charming is pretty much useless and animal husbandry only worth it for horses.. Why not just make the offsprings can't give much fs gain? Or make it take investments more than the fs for breeding them? Give me back my dream zoo :( ..

Read the last line?

Apparently you'll be able to breed them again when they add the "bred in captivity" trait. Just won't get skill out of killing them.

I'm content with that, as long as they take this up as a ramp to start fixing spawns and spawn rates, and change bashing skill gain so you can actually level the skill in normal fights.

• Like 1

Rolf once again you make unnecessary changes that have either increases the gap or reduce game content... another step in the wrong direction. No wonder your dev team is busy not fixing or adding content to busy following ###### up changes like this. Nothing wrong with breeding fight skill imo alot of work and very creative and sandbox.... wait sandbox wurm moved once more away from this. Soon you'll need to be a fo priest to tame and a libila or mag to archer. You really waste so much time and potential for wurm.

• Like 2

Rolf once again you make unnecessary changes that have either increases the gap or reduce game content... another step in the wrong direction. No wonder your dev team is busy not fixing or adding content to busy following ###### up changes like this. Nothing wrong with breeding fight skill imo alot of work and very creative and sandbox.... wait sandbox wurm moved once more away from this. Soon you'll need to be a fo priest to tame and a libila or mag to archer. You really waste so much time and potential for wurm.

Soz mate, but i agree with Rolf in that breeding to grind FS is somewhat abusive. Also, instead of disalwoing it, allowing it would be the gap-increasing factor, since people with a Fo priest would have faster FS than people who don't.

You could go from 1-70 in the time it would take to breed a pair of champs

• Like 2

Soz mate, but i agree with Rolf in that breeding to grind FS is somewhat abusive. Also, instead of disalwoing it, allowing it would be the gap-increasing factor, since people with a Fo priest would have faster FS than people who don't.

On this note, please stop penned and neutral animals from giving you weapon/shield skill, thanks.

Hey Rolf next time you implement something like the push/pull/ etc feature, how about you don't turn it on by default to non-citizens, so then players are not pushing and pulling the epic portal (and everything else) in the starter cities... *facepalm*

• Like 6

On this note, please stop penned and neutral animals from giving you weapon/shield skill, thanks.

Apparently they will, i do think it needs tweaking on the skill bash thing.

Weapon skills are easy to level fighting normally, shield bashing has too little skill gain for a skill you can use only like twice on a fight.

You could go from 1-70 in the time it would take to breed a pair of champs

It takes 8-11 days to get a champ out, so yeah, you MIGHT get to 70 in that time frame. But then, you wouldn't be using champs to grind FS below 70...

Edited by ReaverKane

This update is lame.

Sorry. You nerfed something that did not need near as much nerfing/changing as so many other things. Get your damn priorities straight.

Edited by GreenHero
  • Like 1

While using the new flattening command I get the error "Some corners can't be modified." Can i get a clarification on this error?

While using the new flattening command I get the error "Some corners can't be modified." Can i get a clarification on this error?

Make sure you don't have trees / shrubs etc around any touching corners.

Apparently they will, i do think it needs tweaking on the skill bash thing.

Weapon skills are easy to level fighting normally, shield bashing has too little skill gain for a skill you can use only like twice on a fight.

They still give skill at the moment. As for SB, just tie it into the main shield skill, rather than a separate one.

Make sure you don't have trees / shrubs etc around any touching corners.

Yes, tiny tree. So noob.

Seems good, not really sure about:

• It is no longer possible to breed creatures of special types

That one doesn't seem right, a lot of people love breeding and raising crazy animals.

Edit: Wrath of Magranon, in my opinion, did need a nerf. I think anytime a spell gets overused and --I don't want to say abused or misused but rather deemed powerful-- it needs attention brought upon itself. No offense but it was used to completely destroy a deed which most considered to be unofficial (by game standards) griefing, of which even few MR said they went "overboard." They then made a thread on it showing their own evidence. You... sorta brought that on yourselves. It was like saying, "Hey we WoMed this deed to nothing left!" I predicted a nerf pretty soon after seeing that thread.

No spell should make it so easy and make hard work so destroyable in mere hours where equal work with a catapult would of taken days. The spell was just too easy, and on top of that people used to a level where it drew so much attention on itself it called for a nerf. It's like when people used to just sit back and spam Fire/Ice pillar (no 2 min cooldown), they sit in back and just spread it everywhere. It called for a nerf with it's over usage.

Edited by Postes

Hi,

[...] i agree with Rolf in that breeding to grind FS is somewhat abusive.

Try breeding a champ croc. It will be pregnant for several days, and will eat a small herd of cows during this time. And if you forget to feed it for 1 day only, it will go into "starving" very quickly (even if fat at start), with a good chance to loose it's baby, or even die itself.

And when all this is over, with a very high probability you'll have a little vanilla croc - I only once managed to get champ croc offspring, in many, many tries.

Who'd try to breed champs for FS gains might better try to use the time to whack spiders and unicorns instead, this will yield a multiple of FS, even post-70.

I assume the trick is to breed special champs, maybe dogs? As anybody knows, the FS we get from critters are all but well distributed, a stupid little lava spider giving more skill than an older troll ...

Sometimes it's ridiculous what workarounds Rolf finds to prevent having to deal with an actual bug.

Have fun!

• Like 6

Sign in to follow this