Sign in to follow this  
Skyhawk

Simple Convience Item...

rope on a shaft + 1 shaft makes a hitching post, plant on a tile and hitch your animal to it so it doesn't run off.

• Like 2

I think i've +1'd hitching posts about twice a month on average.

• Like 3

I think i've +1'd hitching posts about twice a month on average.

Sometimes feels like twice a week... maybe someday we'll get a nod on these lol

when hitched, the horse and hitching post log off with the player. Would rather not see horses and hitching posts all over the place please.

Otherwise, yes, it would make camping out while exploring much easier!

-1 you knew this one was already suggested :)

So are you downvoting because it's already been suggested or just because you don't like the suggestion?

Anyway, +1 regardless.

+1

Would be a really nice addition, guests could tie their horses to it when they come visit instead of letting them into your pens :P

Only thing I would add is a 5% chance they somehow break loose, so that pens are not rendered useless

+1

Would be a really nice addition, guests could tie their horses to it when they come visit instead of letting them into your pens :P

Only thing I would add is a 5% chance they somehow break loose, so that pens are not rendered useless

That 5% chance would make me never use them, thus rendering the intended function useless.

Just make them decay fast or something, like a few days or whatever like construction markers.

The easier idea for hitching posts was simply take a horse being lead, and attach to streetlamps, and the posts on fencing. Would be a behind the scenes thing, not anything graphical needed to be added :D

Still +1

+1'd every time this has come up :)

The only problem I see with this is that people will be able to store horese off deed, allowing them to horde even more. If they had no permission managment or anything like that, +1

Look at it from the hitchingpost-mechanic (or simple groundpen might be better, easy to make from a log with a hatchet so this can be done while you are traveling). You can make as many as you want (and they wont decay in inventory, but only there) so you can make as many as you will be needing and a few in reserve when you pass trees on your route, and hold them in inventory until you are ready to use them. Each animal needs its own pen or post.

Any hitchingpost/-pen you drive into the ground gets 'attached' to you in the database - and after you drive max 5 of them into the ground (being the max you could ever have with you as to animals, 2 pulling cart and 3 led) a message will show if you try to drive in more, telling you this is your max, so no-go as to another one.

After you drive a pen into the ground you have something like 5 minutes to tie an animal-with-rope onto it, if you dont do this within this time the pen poofs (and your data-count goes down one again). When you log out, the tied-to-pens/-posts animals log out with you, ropes return to inventory, and the pens/posts poof. (Edit: against an abuse-possibility I see: this only happens if you are in same local as tied animals are - else they stay until after 9 hours their pen poofs and they are free)

If you secure them and don't log out, the pen they are secured to will last until one of three things happen: 1. you untie animal when done > pen poofs (no-one else but you can untie an animal from in-database-attached-to-you pens); 2. you go do your thing leaving animal tied to pen: pen lasts 3 wurmdays (9 RL hours) then poofs and frees animal (so if you still aren't done then you had better watch the time and put them on a fresh pen before those 9 hours pass); 3. you lose connection, server suddenly goes down, whatever - you are happy you had some reserve pens made and in inventory when getting back in with your (logged out with you) tied animals because you will have a busy few minutes, especially if you had more then 3 animals tied up, to either hitch the first two to the cart or to drive new pens into the ground for at least two of them (so you can grab the two which you couldnt start leading right away if there were 5 total).

So logging in with the full animal-load is not without risk, and you had better have been prepared for logging (or crashing) out beforehand with some extra pens/posts in inventory (reason to not make them too heavy or large - which is why simple groundpens might be a better idea).

Nothing too detrimental as to risk in any normal circumstances... but it does add a touch of thinking twice and preparing before taking a full load of animals with you - so it won't be something casualy done anytime (of course you also need a few more ropes on you then the usual 3, if you are going to be underway with 5 animals - each needs a rope).

As far as I can see:

- no hoarding outside of fields this way;

- animal is secure when tied to pen/post because pen/post is 'yours'

- at long last the problem of being too far from safe place when server goes down is solvable

- no litter of pens/posts all around

Any (other then the one mentioned) abuse-possibility thinkable of if done this way? I can't think of any (but maybe there are...)

Edited by Kianga

Maybe you could keep them with permission managment only if they are on a deed. Otherwise anyone could take them.I'm just afraid that the steppes will turn giant horse fields.

1. you untie animal when done > pen poofs (no-one else but you can untie an animal from in-database-attached-to-you pens);
Note pens as in groundpens, not as in small fields (pens) Edited by Kianga

Look at it from the hitchingpost-mechanic (or simple groundpen might be better, easy to make from a log with a hatchet so this can be done while you are traveling). You can make as many as you want (and they wont decay in inventory, but only there) so you can make as many as you will be needing and a few in reserve when you pass trees on your route, and hold them in inventory until you are ready to use them. Each animal needs its own pen or post.

Any hitchingpost/-pen you drive into the ground gets 'attached' to you in the database - and after you drive max 5 of them into the ground (being the max you could ever have with you as to animals, 2 pulling cart and 3 led) a message will show if you try to drive in more, telling you this is your max, so no-go as to another one.

After you drive a pen into the ground you have something like 5 minutes to tie an animal-with-rope onto it, if you dont do this within this time the pen poofs (and your data-count goes down one again). When you log out, the tied-to-pens/-posts animals log out with you, ropes return to inventory, and the pens/posts poof. (Edit: against an abuse-possibility I see: this only happens if you are in same local as tied animals are - else they stay until after 9 hours their pen poofs and they are free)

If you secure them and don't log out, the pen they are secured to will last until one of three things happen: 1. you untie animal when done > pen poofs (no-one else but you can untie an animal from in-database-attached-to-you pens); 2. you go do your thing leaving animal tied to pen: pen lasts 3 wurmdays (9 RL hours) then poofs and frees animal (so if you still aren't done then you had better watch the time and put them on a fresh pen before those 9 hours pass); 3. you lose connection, server suddenly goes down, whatever - you are happy you had some reserve pens made and in inventory when getting back in with your (logged out with you) tied animals because you will have a busy few minutes, especially if you had more then 3 animals tied up, to either hitch the first two to the cart or to drive new pens into the ground for at least two of them (so you can grab the two which you couldnt start leading right away if there were 5 total).

So logging in with the full animal-load is not without risk, and you had better have been prepared for logging (or crashing) out beforehand with some extra pens/posts in inventory (reason to not make them too heavy or large - which is why simple groundpens might be a better idea).

Nothing too detrimental as to risk in any normal circumstances... but it does add a touch of thinking twice and preparing before taking a full load of animals with you - so it won't be something casualy done anytime (of course you also need a few more ropes on you then the usual 3, if you are going to be underway with 5 animals - each needs a rope).

As far as I can see:

- no hoarding outside of fields this way;

- animal is secure when tied to pen/post because pen/post is 'yours'

- at long last the problem of being too far from safe place when server goes down is solvable

- no litter of pens/posts all around

Any (other then the one mentioned) abuse-possibility thinkable of if done this way? I can't think of any (but maybe there are...)

Over complicated.

Just my 2c.

To prevent the wall of horse from being made, just have it so the horse can't feed while hitched, should limit silliness.