Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

Unstupid The Random Events On Epic

Rolf, you want to attract people to play on your PVP servers. And yet you have implemented incredibly destructive random events on Epic. If the gods want to punish our characters, fine. If you want to do it with ravines and damage and destruction, fine. But you need to reduce the scope. Anything done to the terrain should be reversible without stripping an entire server of it's dirt layer. A few pretty rocks are not worth the complete obliteration of an entire deed. Deeds of significant size should not be completely and utterly annihilated in 1 second of non-pvp activity.

When I returned to the Epic server, I had no real idea of the scope of damage that you were inflicting on the server maps with these events. I had seen a couple pics, but hadn't really thought about it, and it wasn't one of my considerations.

Before people call this whining about something that damaged my deed or surroundings, I'll tell you that none of these events have touched my place on Desertion yet. I'm leaving Epic tonight because in my personal opinion, it would be stupid for me to actually build anything significant on Epic, and Wurm is a building game. The complete obliteration of a deed with no pvp involvement at all? Utterly and completely counter to every reason I play Wurm.

I don't play on a PVP server for the opportunity to get everything I create nuked by the random number generator. Yes, there's a big difference between players doing it, and the random number generator doing it.

So today I disbanded Bobville on desertion, popped the buildings, and set the mine access to everyone. There's not a whole lot of cool stuff there because I had just gotten started living there, but there are a lot of QL 40-60 items laying around in forges and several BSB's full of useful materials, as well as four good horses that a person with a catapult or lockpicks can retrieve, and a large cart loaded with a small sailboat that only needs the easy parts added to it (tenon's, pegs, hull planks), which are all in one of the BSB's.

I wish the folks on Epic well, but as I said above, I'm not even going to set myself up for everything I build to be destroyed in a few seconds by some random event.

• Like 2

Not condoning the scale of the events etc., but isn't this kind of thing suposed to be the incentive for completing your gods' tasks and winning the scenarios?

• Like 2

Only thing is nobody even won for the scenario and somehow libila did her thing.

+1

meteors out in nowhere that lands in enemy territory and gives enemies glimmersteel is not positive libila

give us the glimmersteel

send the meteor

Edited by Che

The only thing that I think might be stupid is that it creates irreversible changes. Players should always have the option to repair the damage. There should be no exception to where it can hit though, except starter deeds on the home servers.

• Like 2

Not condoning the scale of the events etc., but isn't this kind of thing suposed to be the incentive for completing your gods' tasks and winning the scenarios?

Sure in theory, doesnt work of course... completing the missions seems to do ###### all

The missions do nothing and has been bugged ever since epic came out. Um i tought this was a known fact?

The missions do nothing and has been bugged ever since epic came out. Um i tought this was a known fact?

I think they all have showed that the missions do something, it moves the gods, the gods have a set timer when they move though so sometimes they move when the missions on both home server & elevation are not complete

and preaching shows what the next win will give (like before it showed that libila will smash some magranon land, it did.)

and well, a deed just got smashed, missions do matter.

Edited by Che

Allow me to quote some excerpts from a revived copy of the Wurm Blog back in 2011 when Epic was being developed:

http://web.archive.o...nline.com/blog/

"Q: How do the missions and scenarios work?

A: On Valrei, the gods usually hunt for a number of rare items. One such hunt is a scenario. In order to find these items the gods will have to visit the various locations on Valrei. Moving around takes time and is exhausting. Usually one step takes a few days but some regions will take real weeks to traverse. By performing missions that aid your god you give him or her strength to move faster. One such mission may be to slay a number of creatures, build something or perform a ritual somewhere.

The missions are designed to be performed by a number of players based on the current active “base kingdom†(HOTS, MR and JK as template) population on a server in order to succeed. Sometimes the task will be too hard though, and sometimes it will require only one player to perform something simple on a remote location.

When enough missions have succeeded, the deity moves. The number of missions required are one per home server and one per wild server per base kingdom. When the deity has found the number of items required to win the scenario and brought them to the target location, the scenario is won and ends.

When your deity moves, your god becomes favored by certain spirits who aid both you and your god. When a whole scenario ends, your god may decide to give your side bonuses, or create terraforming events in enemy territory. The gods themselves may also gain permanent characteristic bonuses, or the ability to spawn creatures in your enemy territory."

"I thought I’d calm some of you who think Epic will be all fire and floods. The image below shows one of the terraforming events that may happen at the end of a scenario. The winning god decided to create a plateau. This one isn’t the largest possible but even those won’t be all that bad. The chance that this hits your village is pretty slim, especially since these events happens maybe once or twice per month and there are a multitude of variations. And of course, if you make sure to let your deity win, this event will not hit your kingdom.

Now, of course there are also things like volcanoes and large ravines but I’m sure it will be interesting to see those appear once or twice per year."

"the idea behind the Epic code is to provide the players with a full circle of purpose and something really big to strive for. Even if they don’t care about it, every player will be part of a chain of dependencies and every action they perform will be important in the long run."

Everything working as years of coding have intended. As said above, you can even predict the nature of the event with a sermon. Stop being an ignorant noob, Libila pwned you fair and square.

Edited by Versai

Allow me to quote some excerpts from a revived copy of the Wurm Blog back in 2011 when Epic was being developed:

http://web.archive.o...nline.com/blog/

"Q: How do the missions and scenarios work?

A: On Valrei, the gods usually hunt for a number of rare items. One such hunt is a scenario. In order to find these items the gods will have to visit the various locations on Valrei. Moving around takes time and is exhausting. Usually one step takes a few days but some regions will take real weeks to traverse. By performing missions that aid your god you give him or her strength to move faster. One such mission may be to slay a number of creatures, build something or perform a ritual somewhere.

The missions are designed to be performed by a number of players based on the current active “base kingdom†(HOTS, MR and JK as template) population on a server in order to succeed. Sometimes the task will be too hard though, and sometimes it will require only one player to perform something simple on a remote location.

When enough missions have succeeded, the deity moves. The number of missions required are one per home server and one per wild server per base kingdom. When the deity has found the number of items required to win the scenario and brought them to the target location, the scenario is won and ends.

When your deity moves, your god becomes favored by certain spirits who aid both you and your god. When a whole scenario ends, your god may decide to give your side bonuses, or create terraforming events in enemy territory. The gods themselves may also gain permanent characteristic bonuses, or the ability to spawn creatures in your enemy territory."

"I thought I’d calm some of you who think Epic will be all fire and floods. The image below shows one of the terraforming events that may happen at the end of a scenario. The winning god decided to create a plateau. This one isn’t the largest possible but even those won’t be all that bad. The chance that this hits your village is pretty slim, especially since these events happens maybe once or twice per month and there are a multitude of variations. And of course, if you make sure to let your deity win, this event will not hit your kingdom.

Now, of course there are also things like volcanoes and large ravines but I’m sure it will be interesting to see those appear once or twice per year."

"the idea behind the Epic code is to provide the players with a full circle of purpose and something really big to strive for. Even if they don’t care about it, every player will be part of a chain of dependencies and every action they perform will be important in the long run."

Everything working as years of coding have intended. As said above, you can even predict the nature of the event with a sermon. Stop being an ignorant noob, Libila pwned you fair and square.

OK, let's look at this:

The chance that this hits your village is pretty slim

Really? How many villages have been hit since this all started?

Now, of course there are also things like volcanoes and large ravines but I’m sure it will be interesting to see those appear once or twice per year

How many ravines and huge holes are there in the world right now? I know of at least three.

I have absolutely zero interest at all in playing a game of virtual russian roulette. If I choose to play on a PVP home server, that's because I wish to have the opportunity to be involved in PVP from time to time. This includes the possibility of having my deed damaged or even destroyed by players, but for some random event to destroy hundreds if not thousands of hours worth of work? Not just no, but H E Double L NO.

The idea of Divine intervention based on completed player activities is fine. It's the scope that needs work. I absolutely refuse to have anything to do with Epic again until it is no longer possible for everything I work to create to be destroyed in seconds without the direct involvement of any players.

Hey FB, instead of always trying to protect the players of Wurm from unjust actions like freaking Underdog, protect our eyes from continuous thread after thread where you, and if your lucky, one other person supports your point of view,

Hey FB, instead of always trying to protect the players of Wurm from unjust actions like freaking Underdog, protect our eyes from continuous thread after thread where you, and if your lucky, one other person supports your point of view,

Instead of trying to play psychologist, why not actually stick to the topic and make valid arguments?

and preaching shows what the next win will give (like before it showed that libila will smash some magranon land, it did.)

I don't play on epic, but does this have to do with altar influence... like, are there Mag altars where those meteors are hitting?

How many times has *your* village been hit? Not any village but *your* village. Sure if the map is full of deeds it's likely to hit one but not very likely for any individual one.

Instead of trying to play psychologist, why not actually stick to the topic and make valid arguments?

As I responded in the other thread, it was mentioned prior to Epic being released these type of things may happen, why the need to crusade for a change now, when you also claim it does not effect you, I fail to understand your need to try and be a beacon of hope to find solutions to problems at times those immediately effected have no issue with. For the thread at hand, working as intended. Edited by Kadore

if its bugged where missions dont affect the outcome, fix that. The big impacts of the events though are intended, they were announced, theyre a motivator to get you to do those missions. If you don't like that, Epic is not the place for you - they're simply a part of the risk there.

to whoever said repair is possible, take a look at my old jkh deed

14tq6f4.png

• Like 3

i do remember this guy in freedom who flattened a mountain down several hundreds/thousands of slope to create his village.

Alone.

you start somewhere; whether you want to or not however, is your choice.

to whoever said repair is possible, take a look at my old jkh deed

14tq6f4.png

RainRain, the entire concept of turning something like this back into a useable deed is borderline insane. Yes, there are some folks who might actually be stubborn enough to try to fix it, but something like this? Even most hardcore wurm terraformers would avoid this much work. There's a huge difference between grinding down a mountain in carebear lands and doing the same in Epic. If someone actually wanted to spend the next year, grinding down the side of a mountain, they would just move to Freedom and find a mountain there to chop down.

Epic is a PVP server, not a player-vs-meteor server. The idea of the gods striking out at Wurmians is fine, but the scale of damage needs to be turned back quite a bit, there's no need for this level of destruction. All it's going to do is make people furious, perhaps to the point where they leave the game.