Sign in to follow this  
Protunia

Where Are The Rock Shards Going?

I mean really one day they all are gone??

I mine like 6 tiles one day and have a plan to make some walls the next.....come back no rock shards.

Yet see all kinds of logs and woodscraps, foraged items, etc....that stay for longer than a week?

There has to be something broken....

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

the gnomes are breaking into your mine and using it to reinforce their keeps and hidy holes

• Like 1

step 1 - steal rock shards

step 2 - ???

step 3 - profit

no but really bsbs can do wonders =)

But you have to admit, 1 day is really a bit much for the decay rate on them. As a counter though I don't think bsbs would be his best bet since he hates em soooo

increased decay rate to declutter the servers. Same reasons mobs butcher themselves instead of laying on the meat farm all week.

increased decay rate to declutter the servers. Same reasons mobs butcher themselves instead of laying on the meat farm all week.

this doesn't answer anything, he compared the shards to wood scraps and other wood materials that are basically useless that clutter areas for possibly weeks yet he has these rock shards that are gone within the day, I believe he wants to know why the more problematic clutter items have slower decay than the less problematic ( seeing as how it takes longer to produce the amount of shards compared to the time it takes to produce the amount of scrap/logs)

raw materials like rockshards, logs, meat got the highest decay in Wurm. Rockshards are usually gone in a few days.

Wood scraps are great I might add, mainly for fueling furnaces and ovens on long grinds and for simply making kindling to start them ;D

Edited by Shrimpiie

Rock shards in my mine last about 24 hours before they show significant decay. After 48 hours they are gone. Every one. I've watched about 1000 shards rot in the last couple weeks, when I simply didn't want to store them in BSB's because I had plenty already.

This does seem a bit aggressive of a decay rate.

Farmer Gnomes painted them damaged then hauled them away to make a gnome stone bridge over gaps and Drops Shafts

Seriously i dont think they should decay that fast, mine last a good while in my cave

Edited by shadowblasta

Farmer Gnomes painted them damaged then hauled them away to make a gnome stone bridge over gaps and Drops Shafts

Seriously i dont think they should decay that fast, mine last a good while in my cave

Remember that the more of the same type item there is in an area, the faster they will decay. At least according to what I remember from one of the big decay tweaks in the past. When I have three toons mining at the same time with decent quality picks, they put out a lot of rock in a few hours. And it will all be gone in 48 hours. It will be heavily damaged in 24. I've seen it several times now, recently.

Probably an attempt to keep the servers up and running. If people put shards in bsb, instead of adding hundreds/thousands of new records to the database (which then need to be ticked for decay periodically), the devs wouldn't need to introduce such "aggresive decay".

• Like 1

I mean really one day they all are gone??

I mine like 6 tiles one day and have a plan to make some walls the next.....come back no rock shards.

Yet see all kinds of logs and woodscraps, foraged items, etc....that stay for longer than a week?

There has to be something broken....

Indeed, and for adding some, i have some shards 50-60Ql mined less than 48 hours ago taking heavy dmg, while there is a pile of rock shards ql 1-3 laying in a corner 20 tiles away of my deed in the open for like a month now.

help the server, pick up your garbage.

but seriously, Ive seen a single rock shard stay at the same place for several days now 3+, while doing some underground exploration I mined hundreads of shards wich started to show decay much faster, so its probably like Silakka said. (both places mentioned are off deed)

*If* what Protunia says is the case, then some increased decay mechanic has recently been applied to rock shards within mines and at this rapid rate it would seem to be overkill. As I haven't experienced this myself I can't confirm nor deny it. Ideally I would say rock shards within mines should have no decay at all for 72 hours (3 days), then have them completely decay away 48 hours later. Or hey, just return the decay mechanic on them to the way it was previously. Since mines seem to be on a different resource level than above ground, I would not think that reducing their (rock shards) numbers would have much necessity nor any impact upon above ground "trash" lag impact.

=Ayes=

I can safely say that this is one of 3 cases:

1- OP didn't allot the time correctly and it was more than a day after;

2- Someone else took the shards;

3- Some freaky bad luck occurred, and all the shards were really bad ql, and decayed real quick.

I can say that, because i've been minning rock to make some extra paths on my mine, and open collapsed tiles with my mags priest, and the shards are sticking around 2-3 days before completely gone.

Someone took them. Even ql 1 shard do not receive damage within one day.

I left shard in a pile on the ground (not in a cave) the other day, came back a day later (about 24h) and they had no decay .They do decay fast though, within a week they are gone. But no way should they decay in less han a day.

Low ql raw materials in particular decay pretty fast.

Granted rock shards do seem to decay faster than much of the other clutter.

Back on JKH before bulk bins the server always became super laggy at a certain item count and to make it better they removed rock shards. I am guessing the code for that swipe is being used again since the server performance has gone down significantly as of late.

*If* what Protunia says is the case, then some increased decay mechanic has recently been applied to rock shards within mines and at this rapid rate it would seem to be overkill. As I haven't experienced this myself I can't confirm nor deny it. Ideally I would say rock shards within mines should have no decay at all for 72 hours (3 days), then have them completely decay away 48 hours later. Or hey, just return the decay mechanic on them to the way it was previously. Since mines seem to be on a different resource level than above ground, I would not think that reducing their (rock shards) numbers would have much necessity nor any impact upon above ground "trash" lag impact.

=Ayes=

Recently I've noticed my shards taking huge damage hits very quickly. Some were gone within a day and others were at 80 damage within 48 hours. Randomly, other piles lasted 3 days with no damage. This has all been within the last week, most of the shards were 60+ ql.

No same thing happened to me, and my shards were high, some low due to the rock quality but they were gone within two days.

Now normally i mine for 2 days and then collect it up afterwards. Without seeing any damage on them, so yes, something is wrong.

keep in mind its on deed and in a cave..