Photo

New House Calculator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 Warlander

Warlander

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Yet another tool from me, I hope you will like it. ;) Current version of this calculator/mapper is advanced beta - all major features are done, everything is working without problems.

You need Java 7 to run this program!

New, 3d version thread

Versions below are outdated:

JNLP (resizable) version

Resizable applet

Applet, 800X600
Applet, 1000X600
Applet, 1200X700
I can add any applet size on demand, please write in this thread or send me PM.

Any suggestions, found bugs/inaccuracies?

Bugs found:
-clipboard features does not work in applet edition (pastebin.com support will be added to "bypass" this bug) (fixed by replacing clipboard with pastebin)
Program does not resize mapper window correctly (fixed)

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Edited by Warlander, 14 April 2013 - 06:49 PM.

wurmonline.pl - Polish fansite administrator, DeedPlanner developer.

#2 silakka

silakka

Villager

• Forum Moderator
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

looks clean and simple, well done.
Hope someone will test it out :P

I dont like to plan my stuff, i just make what comes in mind.
thats just me

Also, would there be front/side views in future?

Edited by silakka, 15 February 2013 - 11:50 PM.

Rainbow Sardine

#3 Veryth

Veryth

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'm trying it out right now and I can't figure out how to get to the second storey...I just figured out that you have to resize it to add to the z-axis, but perhaps clicking the up arrow next to the floor number could add that automatically if conditions are met?

It would be nice to see the other wall types, like windows and arched walls. I don't know how you would represent them in your current scheme, but it's something to think on.

Adding walls with the tile highlighted can get rather confusing. Would there be any way to highlight the tile border instead?

Just some initial thoughts; I'm still messing around with it. It looks awesome! =)

Edit: Oh! And maybe add right-click deletes a placed object so you don't have to select the delete tool for every mistake.

Edit 2: And maybe an option for different graphics that are more like basic shapes and less detailed so it's easier to see / possible to print. It's a bit hard to see some walls on some floors for me.

Edited by Veryth, 16 February 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#4 Acaos

Acaos

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

would it be possible to add arches? i had a quick go testing this out, and it cant calculate the materials needed for the building (building is done, just teting to see how it turned out)

this was the building i planned before i made it:
Posted Image
as you can see, it has 3 arched walls and then 3 walls inside of that heh.

nice work though!

Edited by Acaos, 16 February 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Less QQ, more pewpew!

#5 Caduryn

Caduryn

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hm....i cant switch to the 2. and more floors....

#6 Veryth

Veryth

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Another thing would be adding drop-down sections for the different material types for walls and floors. That way, if someone is building a stone house only, they could access the stone floor and opening without additional floor types cluttering the menu. The same would go for walls. If there was a way to make clicking the image itself select the tool, or at least not deselect it, that would be nice as well.

Hm....i cant switch to the 2. and more floors....

Resize it at the bottom by adding 1 to the z value, then use the arrows at the top to switch between floors.

#7 Acaos

Acaos

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Z axis is the height, add to it, the hit resize
Less QQ, more pewpew!

#8 Baultr

Baultr

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Will you be adding things like fences and parapets in the future also larger tile sizes as i am making a 2x3 house and it still looks quite small with size 64 tiles :)

#9 Veryth

Veryth

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Yet more suggestions:
- Undo button
- Icons to add to tiles to represent furniture
- Annotation option

#10 Warlander

Warlander

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

Quick changes: now only up to 15 floors are allowed (previously - 25), program is adding new floors when you hit "/\" button.

Will you be adding things like fences and parapets in the future also larger tile sizes as i am making a 2x3 house and it still looks quite small with size 64 tiles :)

Fences and parapets will be added. The next size I can add without visual and performance problems is 128X128, I think this is little too much, but I can add it if this is really necessary for big screens. ;)

Word about arches - I even have idea how these might look like in top view, so I'll probably add them.

Veryth, as I can see you really like my program! :) I will surely use your suggestions in House calc. Things like undo button, annotation option, drop-down menus, better highlight and (my own idea inspired by your drop-down menus) quick access bar definitely will be useful. ;)

#11 Kegan

Kegan

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,245 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

It is not figuring in the walls for me I might not be using it right but it is only doing floors and roofs on my plan.

#12 Warlander

Warlander

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

It is not figuring in the walls for me I might not be using it right but it is only doing floors and roofs on my plan.

Do you switch building mode from "Floors/Roofs" to "Walls"? I will try to make this more visible.

#13 Kegan

Kegan

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,245 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

I am using the 1200x700 applet when doing this and it is not working right it is not even getting the required carpentry skill right. ..

Edited by Kegan, 16 February 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#14 Warlander

Warlander

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

You need to build both walls and floors. Roofs are not required, but if you want to get info about materials you can build them, too.

#15 Kegan

Kegan

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,245 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

You need to build both walls and floors. Roofs are not required, but if you want to get info about materials you can build them, too.

It works for the carpentry skill and gives the materials for the floor but not for the stone walls. I tried calculating on both the floor and wall tabs they both give the same result..

Edited by Kegan, 16 February 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#16 Warlander

Warlander

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Fixed. Now everything is calculated correctly, thanks for reporting this bug. ;)

#17 Kegan

Kegan

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,245 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Fixed. Now everything is calculated correctly, thanks for reporting this bug. ;)

Now with that is fixed the inner walls are now counting toward the carpentry skills required to build the structure. Not a huge deal but though i would point it out to you.

#18 Warlander

Warlander

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thanks again, I have fixed this, too. Game is ignoring any walls carpentry cost if these are surrounded by floors.

Question to all House Calculator users - do you want to have JNLP version instead of desktop edition? It would launch like Wurm, with autoupdate option, but cannot be launched offline.

#19 axeblade346

axeblade346

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Great app so Far thanks.

Bug found: It doesn't check that there is a floor below.

Update:
Added links to the wiki for you
http://wurmpedia.com.../House_(general)#External_Tools
http://wurmpedia.com...#External_Tools
http://wurmpedia.com...#Planning_Tools

Edited by axeblade346, 16 February 2013 - 08:30 PM.

IGN: Angera (Affliction / Deli) + Sincor (MAG priest on DELI)

#20 Haydn

Haydn

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Really useful, nice job.