Sign in to follow this  
Rayjon

Skill Grind Spoilers! (Old Version)

Mining

Get a pickaxe, preferably one of 1 QL 99 coc (make sure there is absolutely no woa enchanted on it, this reduces skill gain) and find a cave wall segment or exposed rock to mine on. Mine down to the water table then continue mining in a straight and level line. Remember to repair the Pickaxe every once in a while so that it doesnt get destroyed. Check it for damage and repair at least once for every cave wall mined down. This will make for maximum skill gain with minimal effort. And don't worry about gems coming out as lower quality due to your low quality pickaxe, gem quality will always be equivelent to your mining skill.

And that is what I learned from Wurm. ;)

Mining

And don't worry about gems coming out as lower quality due to your low quality pickaxe, gem quality will always be equivelent to your mining skill.

Guess you should re-learn then, as that's false :>

Mining

And don't worry about gems coming out as lower quality due to your low quality pickaxe, gem quality will always be equivelent to your mining skill.

what he said

Prospecting

see mining

Mining!

When starting off the mining skill, you want up to a 30ql pickaxe, if you cannot get that, than so be it. Do not go higher than 30ql pickaxe unless you want ore. Of course use CoC and no WoA. For skillgain, I have always tried to mine on a wall where I am not QL capped (so if you have 50 mining, I mine a wall with 51ql shards) You will want to mine rock until 50skill. Continue repairing your pickaxe, and keep it at around 10ql. At 50 skill, you will want to switch to iron, the easiest to mine of the ores. Upgrade your pickaxe to 25ql and begin mining the iron ore. Continue mining iron until 60, at which you can switch to copper. Mine copper until 70, where you switch to tin or lead. At 85-90 mining, start on silver and continue to 99. Gold will never be a good way to get skill. You do not have to switch to ore at 50 mining, but it will drastically increase your skillgain. For mining ore up to silver, you will want between a 15 and 25ql pickaxe, whereas silver you want around a 30ql.

Ore difficulty is as follows: Rock -> iron -> copper -> tin -> lead -> zinc -> silver ->gold.

Best skillgain while mining is where you have about a 65% chance of getting ore that is <1/2 skill. You will want ore failures, so you may have to adjust your pickaxe quality. At 90skill on silver with a 30ql pickaxe, I get about 15 1ql ore per 100 mined, and this is the best skillgain I have seen.

Gems you recieve are based on the ore you mined with the gem. If the ore was 1.21ql, then so is the gem, btw.

This is what I have learned from Wurm. ;)

lol nice

now make one for strength gain by mining ;)

...Remember, you gain MORE skill cutting trees into logs rather than cutting trees down...

This is false. You gain more pr. tree, yes, but the same gain pr. time. Spend 10 minutes of action time just cutting down trees, then try and spend 10 minutes just chopping. The skillgains in woodcutting have always been, in my experiences, identical.

Cutting trees will however also net you hatchet skillgain, so ideally you should never chop up trees if you're looking for skill. That, and there's something satisfying looking behind you and see a barren waste where a forest once was.

That, and there's something satisfying looking behind you and see a barren waste where a forest once was.

Is this where I get to say QFT?  ;D

Also in regard to woodcutting, if you're not very intrested in hatchet skillgain, and want to use as few trees as possible:

Fell them will a high CoC low ql PICKAXE, it works like a charm, it takes a while to take a tree down but you get very decent woodcutting skill just from felling it as well as chopping it into logs with a hatchet.

Also in regard to woodcutting, if you're not very intrested in hatchet skillgain, and want to use as few trees as possible:

Fell them will a high CoC low ql PICKAXE, it works like a charm, it takes a while to take a tree down but you get very decent woodcutting skill just from felling it as well as chopping it into logs with a hatchet.

Tbh I don't see why you'd use a pickaxe, when I was grinding woodcutting a lowql hatchet had low enough damage. It's been a while since I grinded woodcutting, but with a 1ql hatchet I'd do 4 or 6 damage pr. cut, each cut taking 12 seconds or so. Why'd you use a pickaxe is really beyond me.

Repair Skill:

Get a practice doll and use it until you get it quite damaged.

Start repairing until it is fixed.

Repeat.

(also helps under 20fs people)

Tbh I don't see why you'd use a pickaxe, when I was grinding woodcutting a lowql hatchet had low enough damage. It's been a while since I grinded woodcutting, but with a 1ql hatchet I'd do 4 or 6 damage pr. cut, each cut taking 12 seconds or so. Why'd you use a pickaxe is really beyond me.

Since QL is limited to 1 now, I always do 6 or 7 damage per hit with my hatchet, but I agree with Miggy. Chopping with weapons and tools to get them to 20 is a good idea, but after that you should just use a hatchet.

This thread just made me feel like i didn't know anything about platesmithing  :o

Thanks for the tips & keep it up!

There used to be a glitch with pegs that they had outrageous timers, 90dmg = 2hr 30min repair timer. I and no i didn't exploit, i only have 30 repairing atm  ::)

it gave no skillgain - and they were unfinished tackles

There used to be a glitch with pegs that they had outrageous timers, 90dmg = 2hr 30min repair timer. I and no i didn't exploit, i only have 30 repairing atm  ::)

it gave no skillgain - and they were unfinished tackles

Pegs too, and tenons.

Cauldron #2 - 100 iron
wont fit :P 64 is the limit

Well if you have 90 hatchet skill and 1 pickaxe skill and high woodcutting, chances are tool skill plays a part somewhere, you'd want to use something other than a hatchet ;)

Well if you have 90 hatchet skill and 1 pickaxe skill and high woodcutting, chances are tool skill plays a part somewhere, you'd want to use something other than a hatchet ;)

But that's assuming that tool skill makes an important difference, and if it does, you'd want to raise hatchet skill as well.

Mining

At mining level 52.34 I got a gem (diamond) that was exactly 52.34 quality. I don't see how that is false.  :-\

And I have had a lot of other gems found at the same quality as my mining skill, just that is the only one I recorded or remember. What am I missing here?  ???

About gems:

the gem will come out at some random ql. i believe it's the ql of the last mined shark, but i have not tested that.

If gems came out at the mining skill level, then i wouldn't see 30ish ql gems.

About gems:

the gem will come out at some random ql. i believe it's the ql of the last mined shark, but i have not tested that.

If gems came out at the mining skill level, then i wouldn't see 30ish ql gems.

How weird. I have only ever had a gem with a different quality than my skill level once. It was my first gem, a diamond, and it was 1.25-ish quality, when I had about 5 mining skill. Ever since then the gems have always come out at the exact same quality or at least within 0.50 quality of my current mining skill.

As far as I know the gem ql is the same ql as the ore or shard you mined it with. So, it will be limited by either your skill or by vein/rock ql limit, whichever is lower. But you aren't guaranteed a max ql gem. I got some 20+ ql gems with 64 mining.

Longsword and Two-Hander can be used on a tree, as well as all the axe variants.

As far as I know the gem ql is the same ql as the ore or shard you mined it with. So, it will be limited by either your skill or by vein/rock ql limit, whichever is lower. But you aren't guaranteed a max ql gem. I got some 20+ ql gems with 64 mining.

I guess that means that I just have an extreme case of good luck. I think I have mined about 20 to 25 gems in my wurm time, and all but one of them stuck to the rule I had assumed they were going by. Oh well, its nice to know now. I hope my luck holds out.  ;D

lol nice

now make one for strength gain by mining ;)

I believe that strength gain is action / time based. So any mining on rock with 1ql should potentially be the best way to go. (as you will fail to mine on anything higher, so no skillgain there)

Carpentry Overall

Two ways to grind this skill up, you can either level the subskills, or improve carpentry items. Leveling the subskills is explained below... Getting 35 shipbuilding got me to 45 carpentry overal, and 45 fletching took it from 45 to 55.

Method 2: Start making planks. Make enough to get you to atleast 5 or until you have 100 planks, whichever is first (suggest raising woodcutting before carpentry). Next, you will want to plan as large as a house as you can (1tile?) and begin making a house. Make the house, and then improve the walls with just slighty higher QL planks than the house itself. AFIAK, this is the best way to raise carpentry. Making and imping house walls is great skillgain...?

Another way at going at this is to of course, improve normal carpentry items, such as mallets.

Fletching

Fletching is a fairly fast and easy to skill. Start off making arrow shafts until 15 skill. You should have around 300 shafts by now. You will want to start off making war arrows, use the highest QL arrow heads possible. At 15 skill, you will have roughly 60% chance with a 80QL war head. Make only about 10 war arrows at this point, and improve them all to 10ql, then all the 10ql to 15. Make 10 more war arrows, and imp them to 15, then all of them to 20. 10 more arrows, imp to 20, then improve rest to 30. Make 20 more arrows...repeat... You should be imping almost 100 arrows at a time at 50 skill. If you are struggeling to improve an item, make 10-20 more arrows and then imp them all to the highest QL possible.

Make sure to use all CoC tools! Including CoC log (0.007kg per imp). Try to keep your tools 5-10ql higher than what you can imp (excluding log & pelt)

Shipbuilding

Start off by making tenons! Lots and lots of tenons!. Make tenons until you can make a seat with atleast 60%?. Make one seat, imp it to 10. Make another, imp to 10. Continue with this until you have 5-10 seats at 10ql. Imp all seats to 20ql. Now, make oars and continue to imp them with that method. If you are struggeling to improve an item, make 4-5 more oars and then imp them all to the highest QL possible. Eventually, you should be improving groups of 20-30 seats at a time.

CoC log not so important here, as each imp is 0.25kg.

-- Please note, some of my #'s are off... Most of this is off of memory

Digging

Digging really isn't a skill that you would grind. I find as the more I learn in digging, the more things I can do, because my digging skill gradually gets higher. It's better not to concentrate on digging skill grinding, but if you must, then I'd recommend getting a 20QL 90CoC shovel. With my past experiences, you can get 10+ digging with this kind of shovel after about 20-30 digs, but obviously, it starts to slow down. I'd recommend getting around 10-15 digging before you start flattening an area, as making a mine can be rather difficult with 5 digging. With about 15 digging, you can do slopes up to 45 slope easily. Remember, the maximum slope you can flatten to is [skill * 3 rounded down, always]. I'm not sure about digging / max slope percentages, but they seem to be at the same as flattening requirements.

I'll be adding shields, fighting, archery, first aid, masonry, carpentry, and fine carpentry. Maybe some more if I can get the time.