Photo

Live Developer Q&a Session In Irc - Thu 14Th Feb @ 13:30 - 15:30 Cet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 DevBlog

DevBlog

Website News Bot

• Blog
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hello everyone!

I am going to be hosting a live question and answer session in the Official Wurm IRC channel #wurm on Thursday 14th February from 13:30 - 15:30PM CET with Rolf and the other Developers.

Everyone is more than welcome to join us and put forward questions to lead developer Rolf Jansson or any of the other DEVs who will be present. The subject of the Q&A session is open and we will be taking questions on any subject relating to Wurm Development.

We anticipate a really great turnout, so to keep things organised we will be taking questions by submission both in advance (preferable) and also during the Q&A itself. If you want to submit a question in advance, please send it in an email to Ross@wurmonline.com.

During the Q&A, the official #wurm IRC channel will be set to mute, so that only Rolf and the DEVs answering questions will be able to speak, plus Wossoo who will be asking the questions on behalf of the community. This is to ensure that all questions and answers are clearly visible.

We will also take comments and questions during the Q&A but they will be in a seperate IRC channel which I have created - #wurmqa. I will try to pick out questions from the discussion but bear in mind I will not be able to put forward everyone’s questions due to time constraints. This may also be true for emailed submissions.

What is IRC and how do I get it?

IRC (internet relay chat) is a way to communicate immediately through messages in chat ‘channels’, in a very similar way to how chat works in the game.

You can access IRC while playing Wurm, using the command ‘irc’ in the console window (F1) and type /join #channel. You can also use browser IRC clients such as Mibbit on the Rizon irc server, or external IRC clients such as mIRC.

I hope to see as many of you there as possible, and we look forward to hearing your questions!

Ross Whiting (Wossoo) - Ross@wurmonline.com
Public Relations Manager

View the tumblr article

#2 Xallo

Xallo

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,406 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

On Valentine's Day? Why not a Friday or something? <_<

Takðú sverð þinn!

#3 Docterchese

Docterchese

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

On Valentine's Day? Why not a Friday or something? <_<

We're considering moving the date, no guarantees however. I'd like to say that we came to the decision that as the highest number of devs would be available on the 14th we went with that date, though that feels a bit like an insult if none of us are already pre-engaged on a day supposed to be spent with a loved one... :lol:

Remember that as questions can be e-mailed in and will be asked on your behalf so you won't necessarily have to be there, so don't worry if you can't make that date. Also, chatlogs will be published!!

Edited by Docterchese, 10 February 2013 - 10:15 PM.

[21:46:20] <Issle> I just pick a side and start a flame war

#4 Vedurin

Vedurin

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I hope we'll be able to also host such events in Tanelorn / Exodus some day. Still much work to do over here and i surely don't want to mean opposition to the current events. This was one of the best times i had in Wurm and i can't wait for the next tournament. Is it annual ?

#5 Laiwyn

Laiwyn

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Psst, Vedurin, you posted in the wrong thread.

#6 bwg

bwg

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

As someone who's played on/off since Newtown, I'd love to get involved in one of the Q&A sessions but they are always at inconvenient times for me. I respect the developers all have lives outside of the voluntary work they do for the game however this at noon GMT, when most British and European players will be at work or school and most Americans will be in bed.

If not the date, please consider changing the time.

Thanks!
~ Marni / purp

#7 Laiwyn

Laiwyn

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

As someone who's played on/off since Newtown, I'd love to get involved in one of the Q&A sessions but they are always at inconvenient times for me. I respect the developers all have lives outside of the voluntary work they do for the game however this at noon GMT, when most British and European players will be at work or school and most Americans will be in bed.

If not the date, please consider changing the time.

Thanks!

We're considering moving the date, no guarantees however. I'd like to say that we came to the decision that as the highest number of devs would be available on the 14th we went with that date, though that feels a bit like an insult if none of us are already pre-engaged on a day supposed to be spent with a loved one... :lol:

Remember that as questions can be e-mailed in and will be asked on your behalf well before the session you won't necessarily have to be there, so don't worry if you can't make that date. Chatlogs will be published!!

Just like last time they will be publishing the Q&A log.

#8 bwg

bwg

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

I was giving my 2c, I can read. Wasn't really a need to quote the two posts, I just stated that I'd like to be there.
~ Marni / purp

#9 Shrimpiie

Shrimpiie

Villager

• Lead Forum Moderator
  • 7,125 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Dang, always when I'm not available lol
Can't wait for the log to come out on it though ;D

Fish are friends, not food.

#10 Darkmalice

Darkmalice

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

the highest number of devs would be available on the 14th

Not doing any favours dispelling the stereotype of programmers here. :P
There is one rule; deed it or lose it... Or at least it used to be.

#11 Docterchese

Docterchese

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I feel the event was a great success, we'll definitely be doing it again soon too.

Full chatlog below for if you missed anything, questions and important bits are highlighted in bold. May get this up on the blog too:

Spoiler

[21:46:20] <Issle> I just pick a side and start a flame war

#12 Stargrace

Stargrace

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

re: the BL thing. Yes, if you go BL at the moment you are being smushed by everyone / thing. You have one place to spawn, which is outside the shroud, but the tower guards and deed guards are all aggressive to you. Makes for a very smushy time at the moment. Sort of exciting though trying to find a place where there are 0 guards what so ever around (as well as players, etc).

21:10] <@Wossoo> Will the BL and a proper HotS setup come back to Chaos and has this ever been considered?
[21:10] <&Rolf> the bl is there, but hmm I guess there is no start city for Hots eh?
[21:11] <&Rolf> did it start working today btw? I haven't had time to check
[21:11] <@Wossoo> Im not sure, some of these questions were submitted some weeks ago
[21:11] <&Rolf> ok
[21:11] <&Rolf> The Shroud should maybe be set to HOTS then
[21:12] <@Wossoo> Yeah
[21:12] <@Wossoo> It sounds like if people go BL they get killed
[21:12] <@Wossoo> by guards

#13 Lolly1

Lolly1

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Disappointed really.

So what happens with the other 80+ questions that werent asked? Maybe if Rolf and crew has a spare minute they could answer those on a seperate thread.

Edited by Lolly1, 26 February 2013 - 11:34 PM.

no comment

#14 GreenHero

GreenHero

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Yeah... That was kind of weak. Oh well, answered a couple things I was looking for answers too.

.:Rise Above:.

#15 yarnevk

yarnevk

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

IRC is reallly not a proper forum for those sort of things, answers overlapped new questions I think not always clear.

A moderated forum where players submit these questions as seperate threads, screened and lumped together if needed as for this chat, leaving time for devs to give a well thought out researched answer when they have time, with opportunity for further moderation to continue the thread would be so much better.

For example:
Can we rename pets? does the 'not' following that apply to that question or some dangling thought for a prior question not yet finished?. If 'not' what is the technical problem when all horses are random named? Why not use the same system?

Edited by yarnevk, 27 February 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#16 GreenHero

GreenHero

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

My biggest issue is that he didn't really seem prepared to answer any of the questions.

.:Rise Above:.

#17 Protunia

Protunia

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,686 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

Not bad really got a few good questions and some vague answers as always!! :D

GET TO WORK!!

#18 joedobo

joedobo

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

We got good firm answers to a few subjects. There was a lot of, "ya that's cool, but don't expect it anytime soon". I enjoyed reading it.

Even know 90 some odd questions where asked, I bet there was frequent subject repetition.
One of my questions was answered regarding the spawn caps/lack of peaceful stuff. I gather the answer to that is Devs acknowledge it's a problem but have no plan or immediate intention to improve it. My other question had to do with offering players server choices with different aggro levels, like a peaceful or dangerous all champ/greenish. Not a word about the almighty no aggro server.

I thought that part about Kickstarter games coming up on the horizon is interesting. Kickstarter as a concept isn't the important part, its that we are seeing more sandbox or freedom of choice type games opposed to wow theme park clones. Ironically one of those games, Topia Online, might lead to me leaving.

WAR Wurmians Against Realism

#19 Gramuly

Gramuly

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

I enjoyed it. Bridges will be here and dragons will fly. I cant list all the answers I saw. Good times. I am lucky to be apart of such a fun community.

#20 Acheronia

Acheronia

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Pity that we didn't get an answer to renaming pets.

Wossoo, you've done really well. There's always people who doesn't make things easier and negativity is rife, but still you always remain upbeat and positive!
Good job!
Chenoa on Pristine