Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DevBlog

Live Developer Q&a Session In Irc - Thu 14Th Feb @ 13:30 - 15:30 Cet

26 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am going to be hosting a live question and answer session in the Official Wurm IRC channel #wurm on Thursday 14th February from 13:30 - 15:30PM CET with Rolf and the other Developers.

Everyone is more than welcome to join us and put forward questions to lead developer Rolf Jansson or any of the other DEVs who will be present. The subject of the Q&A session is open and we will be taking questions on any subject relating to Wurm Development.

We anticipate a really great turnout, so to keep things organised we will be taking questions by submission both in advance (preferable) and also during the Q&A itself. If you want to submit a question in advance, please send it in an email to Ross@wurmonline.com.

During the Q&A, the official #wurm IRC channel will be set to mute, so that only Rolf and the DEVs answering questions will be able to speak, plus Wossoo who will be asking the questions on behalf of the community. This is to ensure that all questions and answers are clearly visible.

We will also take comments and questions during the Q&A but they will be in a seperate IRC channel which I have created - #wurmqa. I will try to pick out questions from the discussion but bear in mind I will not be able to put forward everyone’s questions due to time constraints. This may also be true for emailed submissions.

What is IRC and how do I get it?

IRC (internet relay chat) is a way to communicate immediately through messages in chat ‘channels’, in a very similar way to how chat works in the game.

You can access IRC while playing Wurm, using the command ‘irc’ in the console window (F1) and type /join #channel. You can also use browser IRC clients such as Mibbit on the Rizon irc server, or external IRC clients such as mIRC.

I hope to see as many of you there as possible, and we look forward to hearing your questions!

Ross Whiting (Wossoo) - Ross@wurmonline.com
Public Relations Manager



View the tumblr article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Valentine's Day? Why not a Friday or something? <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Valentine's Day? Why not a Friday or something? <_<

We're considering moving the date, no guarantees however. I'd like to say that we came to the decision that as the highest number of devs would be available on the 14th we went with that date, though that feels a bit like an insult if none of us are already pre-engaged on a day supposed to be spent with a loved one... :lol:

Remember that as questions can be e-mailed in and will be asked on your behalf so you won't necessarily have to be there, so don't worry if you can't make that date. Also, chatlogs will be published!!

Edited by Docterchese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we'll be able to also host such events in Tanelorn / Exodus some day. Still much work to do over here and i surely don't want to mean opposition to the current events. This was one of the best times i had in Wurm and i can't wait for the next tournament. Is it annual ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Psst, Vedurin, you posted in the wrong thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who's played on/off since Newtown, I'd love to get involved in one of the Q&A sessions but they are always at inconvenient times for me. I respect the developers all have lives outside of the voluntary work they do for the game however this at noon GMT, when most British and European players will be at work or school and most Americans will be in bed.

If not the date, please consider changing the time.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who's played on/off since Newtown, I'd love to get involved in one of the Q&A sessions but they are always at inconvenient times for me. I respect the developers all have lives outside of the voluntary work they do for the game however this at noon GMT, when most British and European players will be at work or school and most Americans will be in bed.

If not the date, please consider changing the time.

Thanks!

We're considering moving the date, no guarantees however. I'd like to say that we came to the decision that as the highest number of devs would be available on the 14th we went with that date, though that feels a bit like an insult if none of us are already pre-engaged on a day supposed to be spent with a loved one... :lol:

Remember that as questions can be e-mailed in and will be asked on your behalf well before the session you won't necessarily have to be there, so don't worry if you can't make that date. Chatlogs will be published!!

Just like last time they will be publishing the Q&A log.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was giving my 2c, I can read. Wasn't really a need to quote the two posts, I just stated that I'd like to be there.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang, always when I'm not available lol

Can't wait for the log to come out on it though ;D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the highest number of devs would be available on the 14th

Not doing any favours dispelling the stereotype of programmers here. :P

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the event was a great success, we'll definitely be doing it again soon too.

Full chatlog below for if you missed anything, questions and important bits are highlighted in bold. May get this up on the blog too:

[20:03] <@Wossoo> Okay guys - welcome to the Wurm Online Live Developer Q&A on 26th February 2013!

[20:04] <@Wossoo> Basically what is happening is that I will put the questions that have been emailed to me to Rolf and the other developers

[20:04] <@Wossoo> And you can also submit questions during the Q&A to #wurmqa

[20:05] <@Wossoo> So Rolf are you here? :)

[20:05] <&Rolf> Yeah if you're done

[20:05] <&Rolf> Hi everyone and welcome

[20:05] <&Rolf> I'll be answering what I can and ask other devs to chip in when needed

[20:05] <&Rolf> or just to cover things up of course

[20:05] <&Rolf> so I guess we better get started eh? 81 questions?

[20:06] <@Wossoo> Yeah we had 81 questions earlier today but that has since increased to about 90-something during the day

[20:06] <@Wossoo> We cant ask them all but we will try to get through as many of the most pressing ones as we can

[20:07] <@Wossoo> Last time they were in theme blocks but instead this time it will be a little less structured like that, but still hopefully good questions.

[20:07] <@Wossoo> Thanks to Docterchese for sorting the questions by the way. First question!

[20:07] <@Wossoo> Are there any near-future plans on streamlining the UI more? E.g. adding a "repeat last action" keybind for crafting? And would it ever be made possible for the client to

[20:08] <@Wossoo> "remember" where container windows such as for BSBs have been opened, opposed to all container windows spawning in the middle of the screen only?

[20:08] <&Rolf> I saw Emil and Alex do some paperdoll prototyping today which can be reused for other drag and drop actions

[20:09] <&Rolf> repeat last action keybind is sort of political so we'll have to discuss it more since it's so macro-like

[20:09] <&Rolf> any client dev been considering the window question?

[20:09] <&Rolf> I can't answer that

[20:10] <&Rolf> ok no answer

[20:10] <@Budda> Theres always talks of overhauls of the UI, but nothing definite atm

[20:10] <&Rolf> ah thanks

[20:10] <@Wossoo> What comes out of those talks?

[20:10] <@Budda> Only thing definitely planned is the creation window

[20:10] <@Wossoo> Like any rough ideas?

[20:11] <@Budda> Just better systems for handling the UI, which would require a decent sized rewrite

[20:11] <@Wossoo> Ahh I see, sounds good

[20:11] <@Wossoo> Next question:

[20:11] <&Rolf> thanks budda:)

[20:11] <@Wossoo> And this one is incredibly popular this time

[20:11] <@Wossoo> What's the status of bridges? Are they currently being worked on and how might they work?

[20:12] <&Rolf> we're still solving stuff with structures but Wollschaf came up with a solution for bridges around release time

[20:12] <&Rolf> need to figure out if we can implement it ourselves

[20:13] <&Rolf> but atm it's sort of on hold

[20:13] <&Rolf> is my answer

[20:13] <@Wossoo> Do you know any plans about the scale of bridges?

[20:14] <&Rolf> no

[20:14] <@Wossoo> Okay

[20:14] <@Saroman> they will likely be provided in a number of fixed lenght segments

[20:14] <@Saroman> that can be combined

[20:15] <@Wossoo> A bit like houses then?

[20:15] <@Zcul> Considering that its number 1 request on user voice it has our attention: http://wurmonline.uservoice.com

[20:15] <@Saroman> you'll have to define a start and an end point

[20:16] <@Wossoo> Ok, anything else on that question?

[20:16] <@Saroman> not from my side :)

[20:16] <@Zcul> Yea, i'd say pretty much it will work like houses in some way, but right now we are focusing on mopping up the bugs from multistory and expanding that abit more with real stairs and such things.

[20:17] <@Wossoo> Alright

[20:17] <@Wossoo> Next question, kind of a broad one.

[20:17] <@Wossoo> Now that 1.0 is out and there is an increased amount of players, where will the dev team be focusing next? What types of things are seen as the next major update?

[20:18] <&Rolf> i think we'll be focusing on bridges, better ui and hopefully maybe some twitch combat version

[20:19] <&Rolf> when it comes to major new stuff

[20:19] <&Rolf> we're constantly getting new creatures and items in the art department

[20:19] <&Rolf> and I want to deal with the Epic missions

[20:20] <@Wossoo> Yeah, the Epic missions were a popular subject

[20:20] <&Rolf> since they have wings but are not flying like they should

[20:20] <&Rolf> but those can be considered fixes

[20:20] <&Rolf> rather than new releases like for instance bridges

[20:21] <@Wossoo> Could you clarify a little bit what you mean by "twitch combat" in a Wurm context?

[20:21] <&Rolf> and as always in the long run there's rivers, diving, ice, waves working weather on the development horizon

[20:21] <&Rolf> i'm imagining some sort of basic aiming with pressing the mouse button a while deciding if you want to swing quick or hard

[20:22] <&Rolf> like aiming at the 9 regions we have

[20:22] <&Rolf> and then server calculations take that into consideration

[20:22] <&Rolf> possibly shield with the right button

[20:22] <&Rolf> or block

[20:23] <&Rolf> but it's just speculations until it's discussed more and basic tests are performed

[20:23] <&Rolf> next

[20:24] <@Wossoo> Are there any plans to expand upon ships? For example, would it be made possible to carry animals on larger ships, could more be added, could an item such as a "large crate" be added to increase the storage space of some ships to their actual amount (as they're limited by small rafts) and maybe even make it possible to walk around on ships and add items to decks?

[20:24] <&Rolf> all those things have been discussed but downprioritized

[20:24] <&Rolf> so it's more a matter of getting more people on the team

[20:25] <&Rolf> but yes would be the answer

[20:25] <@Wossoo> Ok sounds good

[20:25] <@Wossoo> Are there any plans to modify dragons, either through how they function or the valuable nature of their loot?

[20:25] <&Rolf> the raft thing could be considered an exploit though, not sure we really want larger holds

[20:26] <&Rolf> i don't expect i can touch rafts though, for the record:)

[20:26] <@Wossoo> hehe

[20:26] <&Rolf> anyways sure, dragons will probably be able to fly one day

[20:27] <&Rolf> they should be more like smaug

[20:27] <&Rolf> but i don't think they'll burn down villages

[20:28] <&Rolf> but sure, dragons should be made more fun

[20:28] <@Wossoo> What about their loot?

[20:28] <@Wossoo> ie. drake armour

[20:28] <@Wossoo> well, hides

[20:28] <@Wossoo> and their spawn rate

[20:29] <&Rolf> the idea was always to add new uniques once we've gotten the graphics pipeline in place

[20:29] <&Rolf> and we're sort of getting there

[20:29] <&Rolf> so there will come new uniques in various forms and I guess new dragon types will be part of that

[20:29] <@Wossoo> Ahh, to all servers?

[20:29] <@Wossoo> oooh

[20:29] <&Rolf> yes

[20:30] <&Rolf> and also old uniques may pop up

[20:30] <&Rolf> anyways, that's the idea

[20:30] <@Wossoo> How do you feel about dragon farming?

[20:30] <@Wossoo> Considering that they can be farmed if you try hard enough

[20:30] <&Rolf> i think only dragon farmers like dragon farming

[20:31] <&Rolf> we made an update today that should make it a bit harder again

[20:31] <@Wossoo> Ah what was that update? just to be specific

[20:31] <&Rolf> and once they fly it will be even harder

[20:31] <&Rolf> they should bash a bit more efficient and also move in and out of mines better

[20:31] <&Rolf> and destroy mine doors

[20:32] <&Rolf> i still think they should gather loot

[20:32] <&Rolf> and bring it home

[20:32] <&Rolf> for people to drool over

[20:32] <&Rolf> which will be what's looted apart from their skin

[20:32] <&Rolf> or put in inventory i guess as well

[20:32] <@Wossoo> That would add an interesting new dimension for sure

[20:32] <@Zcul> ...like cogs and corbitas or small castles

[20:33] <&Rolf> hehe

[20:33] <@Wossoo> Or underground cities!

[20:33] <&Rolf> ok

[20:33] <@Wossoo> Which might lead us nicely onto the next question?

[20:33] <@Wossoo> Any news on when we will be getting internal mine doors and multi-level (3d) mines?

[20:34] <&Rolf> the reason uniques can be farmed at all is of course that if they break loose they'll destroy every deed they pass so we have to be careful as to what they decide to destroy

[20:34] <@Zcul> internal mine doors is somewhat planned, but multilevel 3d mines is not.

[20:35] <&Rolf> we think about it at times but it's a big project so not this spring

[20:37] <&Rolf> wossoo is in shock we think

[20:37] <@Wossoo> What about? :P

[20:37] <&Rolf> nah i was wondering where you went

[20:37] <@Wossoo> haha sorry

[20:37] <@Wossoo> Will it be possible to add more types of item to BSBs and FSBs in the future?

[20:37] <&Rolf> yes but what isn't decided

[20:38] <&Rolf> as much as possible should go in there

[20:38] <&Rolf> we've never gone through the list carefully

[20:38] <@Wossoo> What about mushrooms?

[20:38] <&Rolf> that should work

[20:38] <@Wossoo> There we go Nicalmus :P

[20:39] <@Wossoo> Could tables and chairs be used for more than looks? E.g. bonuses while seated or using tables for storage? And could more decorations such as paintings ever be added in the future?

[20:40] <&Rolf> there are plans to add lots of decorations including paintings

[20:40] <&Rolf> and making it possible to sit on stuff

[20:40] <@Wossoo> Ah that sounds cool

[20:40] <@Wossoo> also plant pots?

[20:40] <@Wossoo> or, well, flower pots

[20:40] <@saytheb> zcul is silently cracking the whip for me to add in the support for attaching objects to walls..

[20:40] <@Wossoo> for gardeners etc. like Amara :D

[20:40] <&Rolf> bonuses for sitting and eating sounds like something we'd add

[20:41] <&Rolf> at least we'll consider it

[20:41] <&Rolf> yes we're adding flower pots

[20:42] <@Wossoo> Staying a little on the subject of cosmetics

[20:42] <@Wossoo> Do you plan on bringing back the ability to paint wooden houses, and will we ever be able to paint wooden fences or possibly dye clothes?

[20:42] <&Rolf> dying clothes yes, painting houses I think was ruled out by the artists - Saroman?

[20:43] <@Wossoo> If wooden houses can actually still be painted, then dont shoot me I am just the messenger!

[20:43] <&Rolf> flower borders as well btw

[20:43] <&Rolf> yeah i was a bit surprised as well

[20:44] <@Wossoo> Ok it sounds like they can still be painted. Was just one of the questions I received! Okay next question-

[20:44] <@Saroman> we don't want too many objects to be paintable until we have a better system including some advanced color masking that will make it look better

[20:45] <@Wossoo> Seems a good way of going about it

[20:45] <@Wossoo> I suppose a bit further from that, a while ago we were promised racing stripes for boats...

[20:45] <@Wossoo> Any comments? ;P

[20:45] <@Saroman> so it can be decided in advance what parts will or won't be colored instead of the whole object

[20:46] <@Saroman> not sure what's meant by racing stripes on boats

[20:46] <@Wossoo> Okay... well due to time constraints I suppose we should move on

[20:46] <&Rolf> yeah

[20:46] <@Wossoo> Will there be a public volunteer testing team for upcoming updates someday?

[20:47] <&Rolf> there is

[20:47] <&Rolf> as in anyone can apply i guess

[20:47] <&Rolf> saytheb how does the testing team work?

[20:48] <@saytheb> Well, right now it's a setup of going through Trello

[20:48] <@saytheb> In trello cards can be picked up by staff or interested players to duplicate either testing or bugs on the test server, which are captured in the trello cards for input from the developers

[20:49] <@saytheb> There is a public trello board for bugs that I'll get posted up on the forums later today

[20:49] <@saytheb> All are welcome to come look at it, and those interested in helping to test can contact me or Manny and we can get you going for helping to test

[20:49] <&Rolf> for the record, the test server is open to anyone but I myself still fail to post what I need tested in relevant places

[20:50] <@saytheb> :(

[20:50] <&Rolf> well I post it to the test team

[20:50] <&Rolf> which usually does the job well

[20:51] <@saytheb> Ideally when a developer finishes something new for testing, it's assigned to the testers in Trello who provide feedback/find bugs

[20:51] <@saytheb> Not every new feature will go that route though, some things are suprises :D

[20:51] <@Wossoo> (by the way guys if you want to contribute/chat/comment join #wurmqa)

[20:52] <@saytheb> I highly suggest if you find a bug, post it to the forums. Those posts are brought to Trello for us to fix, even if there is no reply immediately!

[20:53] <@Wossoo> :)

[20:53] <@Wossoo> ok next question, a particularly interesting one considering the team size etc.

[20:54] <@Wossoo> With upcoming kickstarter funded sandbox games such as Greed Monger and Pathfinder Online, is the dev team actively monitoring these games (for potential ideas) as well as proactively doing their best to help prevent a mass exodus of players? And would Wurm ever consider using Kickstarter-type crowd funding tools itself?

[20:55] <&Rolf> I've considered kickstarter funding but there are some issues with it

[20:55] <&Rolf> people plan a campaign for months

[20:55] <&Rolf> you promise stuff that you have to deliver

[20:55] <&Rolf> which I try to avoid

[20:55] <&Rolf> unless I can deliver it

[20:56] <&Rolf> and also I don't know, I sort of think we should make it with the money we earn

[20:56] <&Rolf> or get investors that get money back

[20:56] <&Rolf> i mean wurm is a big kickstarter sort of

[20:56] <&Rolf> i keep an eye on other games

[20:57] <@Wossoo> o cool

[20:57] <@Wossoo> *ok

[20:57] <@Wossoo> What is your vision for the future: getting as many players as possible, or to keep the amount of players lower resulting in a stronger community?

[20:58] <&Rolf> getting as many players as possible since it means longevity and quality assurance

[20:59] <&Rolf> don't know if community becomes weaker with less people

[20:59] <&Rolf> eh more

[20:59] <@Wossoo> What has been done lately to make scenario winning/loosing feel more epic? or what do you plan to do to make it more epic?

[20:59] <@Wossoo> (sorry excel crashed)

[21:00] <&Rolf> Wurm is designed to make everyone feel special and have their special position in the world

[21:01] <&Rolf> nothing has been done lately with the epic scenarios but I think many of us feel that they are good in structure but poor in implementation

[21:01] <&Rolf> the system needs polish, debugging and more interesting missions

[21:01] <&Rolf> and of course decent rewards

[21:02] <@Wossoo> Sounds good

[21:02] <&Rolf> the chance to become demigod will increase

[21:02] <&Rolf> and there has to be a few similar rewards

[21:02] <&Rolf> so I'm looking forward to that

[21:03] <@Wossoo> Okay next question: Will you, and if so - how soon will you start expanding your development team further? Is there some goal game-wise that you strive to reach before creating new vacancies within CodeClub?

[21:04] <&Rolf> we're making low profits every year since we invest pretty much everything, growing as fast as we can

[21:04] <&Rolf> so it's just a matter of more paying players

[21:05] <@Wossoo> Okay

[21:05] <&Rolf> Erik started last monday as I was away, our first server dev employee!

[21:05] <&Rolf> he's already on top of some bugs

[21:05] <@Wossoo> Now you tell me!?

[21:05] <@Wossoo> >_<

[21:06] <&Rolf> I was away!

[21:06] <@saytheb> Hey Wossoo, Erik started last money

[21:06] <@saytheb> monday*!

[21:06] <&Rolf> and of course Tich is server dev nowadays as well

[21:06] <&Rolf> been doing amazing stuff with GM tools

[21:06] * %Tich bows

[21:06] <@Wossoo> Does this mean that other people will be able to respond when servers go down unexpectedly and such?

[21:06] <&Rolf> Tich you've been meddling with teerraforming haven't you?

[21:06] <@Wossoo> So that in future we wont have to rely on you waking up?

[21:06] <&Rolf> not initially

[21:07] <&Rolf> setting employees on 24/7 call is both expensive and demoralizing

[21:07] <&Rolf> I can do it as owner

[21:07] <&Rolf> but we really need to be able to hand it over to professionals

[21:08] <&Rolf> which is equally expensive but not as demoralizing

[21:08] <%Tich> yes rolf, added a couple of command that are available on test server

[21:08] <%Tich> like flatten on tile borders and a level for tiles

[21:09] <@Wossoo> ooh

[21:09] <@Wossoo> Sounds great

[21:09] <@Wossoo> Okay, so next question -

[21:10] <@Wossoo> Will the BL and a proper HotS setup come back to Chaos and has this ever been considered?

[21:10] <&Rolf> the bl is there, but hmm I guess there is no start city for Hots eh?

[21:11] <&Rolf> did it start working today btw? I haven't had time to check

[21:11] <@Wossoo> Im not sure, some of these questions were submitted some weeks ago

[21:11] <&Rolf> ok

[21:11] <&Rolf> The Shroud should maybe be set to HOTS then

[21:12] <@Wossoo> Yeah

[21:12] <@Wossoo> It sounds like if people go BL they get killed

[21:12] <@Wossoo> by guards

[21:13] <&Rolf> Ok people should expect the Shroud to turn HOTS then unless there's a showstopper

[21:13] <@Wossoo> :) What are the plans regarding joinging Pristine and Release to older freedom servers and if this would happen, when?

[21:14] <&Rolf> there is no ETA and it's more probable that we add new servers to those islands before rejoining

[21:15] <&Rolf> one day it will be pointless keeping them apart

[21:15] <@Wossoo> Alright

[21:15] <@Wossoo> Are there any planned improvements to PvE combat, such as adding new mobs or balancing the amounts of spawns? Some areas are infested with only spiders for example

[21:16] <@Wossoo> linked to that also

[21:16] <@Wossoo> I had a question earlier from someone about spawn caps

[21:16] <@Wossoo> and how on independence, the spawn cap means that creatures like bison, anacondas etc. almost never spawn

[21:16] <@Wossoo> due to hoarding etc

[21:17] <&Rolf> once we've gotten models for the old creatures we can look at adding new ones

[21:17] <&Rolf> so yes there are plans

[21:17] <&Rolf> spawns and caps are still not good so work is needed there

[21:18] <&Rolf> changes will come eventually

[21:19] <@Wossoo> OKay

[21:19] <@Wossoo> When can we see a thorough Marketing campaign?

[21:20] <&Rolf> pressure is building up but as Zcul mentioned we're still sorting out the release

[21:20] <&Rolf> adding new creatures

[21:20] <&Rolf> models for creatures, rather

[21:20] <&Rolf> debugging

[21:20] <&Rolf> and also we've got a consultant doing serious openGL rearrangements

[21:21] <&Rolf> Mattias from rampantpixels.com btw

[21:22] <@Wossoo> Alright. Are there any additional plans or ideas for the expansion or changing of priesthood in the future?

[21:22] <&Rolf> nothing immediate

[21:23] <@Wossoo> Does that suggest that there could be or simply no?

[21:24] <&Rolf> anything can happen but atm there are other priorities

[21:24] <@Wossoo> Okay

[21:25] <@Wossoo> Are there any plans for including more types of shrubs, bushes, flowers etc and to give them more of a use?

[21:25] <@Zcul> Yes

[21:25] <@Wossoo> Any specifics?

[21:25] <&Rolf> I for one want flower beds

[21:26] <&Rolf> we're a bit limited on tree types

[21:26] <@Zcul> Saroman is cooking stuff up in his magic cauldron, we'll see what we get.

[21:26] <@Saroman> a number of new trees are planned but require a bit of server and client work still

[21:27] <@Saroman> graphics for those are done

[21:27] <@saytheb> Who asked that? Are the Knights who say Ni in this chat?

[21:27] <@saytheb> I demand to know.

[21:27] <@Xsamuraizx> Ni!

[21:28] <@Wossoo> Ni!

[21:28] <@Jberg> Ni!

[21:28] <@darkfilo> Nu!

[21:28] <@Wossoo> Okay that took an odd turn... anyways

[21:28] <@saytheb> you had one job Dark.. one job,,

[21:28] <&Rolf> haha

[21:28] <@Wossoo> A while ago there was a thread in which the dev team was asking for suggestions to speed up travel within the game. Is there any word on whether travel will be sped up or whether things like alliance portals could be implemented?

[21:28] <&Rolf> if done right it's possible

[21:28] <&Rolf> not if done wrong!

[21:29] <&Rolf> I think that's as good answer as anyone can ask for

[21:29] <&Rolf> I'm not opposed

[21:29] <@Wossoo> What do you think doing it right might entail?

[21:29] <@Wossoo> or, tellingly, what doing it *wrong* might entail

[21:29] <&Rolf> wrong would be instacreated free teleportation

[21:30] <&Rolf> but using a rare resource could be right

[21:30] <&Rolf> possible only in certain areas

[21:31] <&Rolf> sort of like eh

[21:31] <&Rolf> twigs:)

[21:31] <&Rolf> oh

[21:31] <&Rolf> flying may become possible

[21:31] <&Rolf> on mounts

[21:31] <&Rolf> that would be one way

[21:31] <@Wossoo> ooooh

[21:31] <@Bud_wk> I want that

[21:32] <@saytheb> I had flying horses for a little while in test client..

[21:32] <@saytheb> purely and accident, though.. sorry :(

[21:32] <@Wossoo> :(

[21:32] <@Wossoo> Will glass crafting be added?

[21:32] <&Rolf> i think it should

[21:33] <&Rolf> no eta though, since it's got low prio atm

[21:33] <@Wossoo> Any plans or initial ideas on its' implementation?

[21:33] <&Rolf> probably comes with some other item

[21:33] <&Rolf> like when alchemy is expanded

[21:33] <&Rolf> there's so much to do

[21:34] <@Wossoo> Heh I suppose that comes with such a complex game!

[21:34] <@Wossoo> Do you get less or more drum rolls (to create rare items) as you gain more skill in a category? E.g. if someone has 90+ blacksmithing, do they have more of a chance each hour for a drum roll as someone with say 30 blacksmithing skill?

[21:34] <&Rolf> no

[21:34] <&Rolf> it's always the same

[21:35] <@Wossoo> Are we getting models / textures for the crown/robes for kingdom leaders.

[21:35] <&Rolf> yes

[21:35] <@Wossoo> What's the situation with the website - can we expect a new one or any changes to the existing one?

[21:35] <&Rolf> it's important that unique stuff like that has unique models and textures

[21:36] <&Rolf> we've had one under development but work is stalled and we may move to new infrastructure

[21:36] <&Rolf> It's coming though

[21:36] <&Rolf> oh we could use a volunteer designer/web developer for it

[21:37] <@Wossoo> *hint hint* guys!

[21:37] <&Rolf> asking for volunteers feels strange when we make money but if someone thinks it's a good opportunity you're welcome to apply

[21:38] <@Wossoo> When can we expect Zcul's adding and subtracting from existing buildings to be added?

[21:38] <&Rolf> we don't have a budget for it atm since we're putting money on other stuff

[21:38] <&Rolf> pretty soon, it's being debugged on test atm

[21:39] <@Wossoo> Could saddlebags be added as a leatherworking item? A saddlebag is an addition to horse tack, as a small storage space, which could allow 10-20kg of storage on the horse.

[21:40] <&Rolf> yeah that makes sense

[21:41] <&Rolf> so yes one day

[21:42] <@Wossoo> Any plans for keyrings?

[21:42] <&Rolf> we should add keyrings:P

[21:43] <&Rolf> so yes there as well

[21:43] <@Wossoo> Sounds good

[21:43] <@Wossoo> Coal pile making was recently changed such that coal piles produce half as much coal, ash, and tar as they used to. Is this an intended feature or a bug?

[21:44] <&Rolf> it is a bug

[21:44] <@Wossoo> I see

[21:45] <@Wossoo> Any plans to re-haul the permission system or make changes to house permissions when it comes to inner doors and allow people not on the writ to sleep in beds?

[21:46] <&Rolf> yes

[21:46] <@Wossoo> any etas etc?

[21:46] <&Rolf> my keyboard died

[21:46] <@saytheb> post the bug on trello

[21:46] <&Rolf> I think Zcul is on t

[21:46] <&Rolf> not sure about permissions though

[21:47] <&Rolf> people not on the writ should be able to sleep in the bed if there's a rent

[21:47] <&Rolf> or?

[21:48] <&Rolf> otherwise it's a bug

[21:48] <@Wossoo> Are there any plans to be able to rename pets?

[21:48] <&Rolf> not

[21:49] <@Xsamuraizx> That is how it is for non-citizen/ally players to use a bed. Most players want to set no rent which they can't use.

[21:49] <&Rolf> i may become convinced

[21:49] <@Wossoo> Okay

[21:50] <&Rolf> ok needs a free rent then simply

[21:50] <@Wossoo> On the subject of alliances, do you think it is forseeable that villages could join more than one alliance?

[21:50] <&Rolf> not in a good while

[21:51] <@Wossoo> Any possibility of players with large and established deeds applying to make their deeds a public spawn point?"

[21:52] <&Rolf> worth considerig

[21:52] <&Rolf> ing

[21:53] <@Wossoo> Settings/hotkeys are saved locally, which makes it somewhat inconvenient to play, when you're playing for random computers here and there. Are there any plans to start saving settings/hotkeys with each account?

[21:54] <&Rolf> no plans i know of but it makes sense of course

[21:55] <@Wossoo> We're a couple of months past 1.0 release now. Are you happy with Wurm's growth since and the reception of the changes?

[21:56] <&Rolf> yes very much

[21:56] <@Wossoo> Are there plans to change the way terrain textures display so they self-scale opposed to appearing stretched?

[21:56] <&Rolf> there was a dip after 2 months when peoples subscriptions ran out but it's going up again

[21:57] <&Rolf> saroman/client devs?

[21:57] <&Rolf> i don't know

[21:57] <@Saroman> client dev question but it probably needs a terrain renderer rewrite

[21:58] <@Saroman> which takes time

[21:58] <@saytheb> agreed..

[21:58] <@Wossoo> Ahh

[21:58] <@Saroman> Wollschaf has been planning to do that however

[21:58] <@Wossoo> So yes but not for a while

[21:59] <@Saroman> yes

[21:59] <@Wossoo> ok cool

[21:59] <@Wossoo> If someone wants to get involved with helping Wurm, how should they go about that?

[22:00] <&Rolf> email contact@wurmonline.com

[22:00] <@Wossoo> ok

[22:00] <@Wossoo> Any progress on Pomona's pompoms?

[22:01] <&Rolf> last time i checked they were still in bits

[22:01] <@Saroman> nothing past a number of concept drawings sadly

[22:02] <@Wossoo> Well, We're not at 11pm CET

[22:02] <@Wossoo> *now

[22:02] <@saytheb> Too hard to add the physics to the individual strands for proper loft

[22:02] <&Rolf> ah yes look

[22:02] <@Wossoo> Rolf would you like to continue or do you have to leave?

[22:02] <&Rolf> well I'm typing vertically but two more questions

[22:03] <@Wossoo> I cant quite picture that but ok

[22:03] <&Rolf> as in my keyboard is charging

[22:03] <@Wossoo> Ah ok

[22:03] <@Wossoo> any plans on expanding/changing the cooking system?

[22:03] <&Rolf> as with so much it's more dreams than plans

[22:03] <@Wossoo> I see

[22:03] <&Rolf> but sure

[22:04] <@Wossoo> And I suppose the final question- Is flowing water with rivers and waterfalls a possibility in Wurm?

[22:05] <&Rolf> rivers should be but waterfalls are uncertain

[22:05] <@Wossoo> Ok, Doc wants me to ask one more Question

[22:05] <@Wossoo> and I said I would

[22:05] <@Wossoo> What jobs/volunteerwork/internships might there be to help work on Wurm, what qualifications are necessary and who should we talk to if we're interested?

[22:05] <&Rolf> i guess tile borders could spawn particles at certain places

[22:07] <&Rolf> usually 3d and 2d artists, experienced java progrmmer

[22:08] <&Rolf> also sound developer

[22:08] <&Rolf> and now web developer

[22:08] <@Wossoo> Plenty of opportunity to get involved then :)

[22:08] <&Rolf> email contact@wurmonline.com

[22:08] <&Rolf> no internships really

[22:09] <&Rolf> no place in the office atm

[22:09] <&Rolf> but if you can stay where you are doing exam job we can talk

[22:10] <@Wossoo> Sounds good

[22:10] <@Wossoo> Well, thank you very much Rolf for answering these questions

[22:11] <@Wossoo> and the Wurm community for submitting them

[22:11] <&Rolf> yeah thanks a lot

[22:11] <@Wossoo> Any last words Rolf? :)

[22:12] <&Rolf> Not many

[22:12] <&Rolf> is that a threat?

[22:12] <@Wossoo> >:]

[22:12] <&Rolf> Thanks everyone for joining in!:)

[22:13] <@Wossoo> Ok well we will be posting the logs on the Forum soon

[22:13] <&Rolf> I guess you can say we're getting better and moving in the right direction

[22:13] <&Rolf> pretty quickly

[22:14] <&Rolf> as a conclusion.. Have a nice evening all!

[22:14] <&Rolf> thanks Wossoo:)

[22:14] <&Rolf> great as always

[22:14] <@Wossoo> Also make sure, if you havent already, to like our facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/WurmOnline ) and follow us on twitter! ( https://twitter.com/wurmonline )

[22:14] <@Wossoo> hehe no problem :)

[22:14] <@Wossoo> Okay!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re: the BL thing. Yes, if you go BL at the moment you are being smushed by everyone / thing. You have one place to spawn, which is outside the shroud, but the tower guards and deed guards are all aggressive to you. Makes for a very smushy time at the moment. Sort of exciting though trying to find a place where there are 0 guards what so ever around (as well as players, etc).

21:10] <@Wossoo> Will the BL and a proper HotS setup come back to Chaos and has this ever been considered?

[21:10] <&Rolf> the bl is there, but hmm I guess there is no start city for Hots eh?

[21:11] <&Rolf> did it start working today btw? I haven't had time to check

[21:11] <@Wossoo> Im not sure, some of these questions were submitted some weeks ago

[21:11] <&Rolf> ok

[21:11] <&Rolf> The Shroud should maybe be set to HOTS then

[21:12] <@Wossoo> Yeah

[21:12] <@Wossoo> It sounds like if people go BL they get killed

[21:12] <@Wossoo> by guards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed really.

So what happens with the other 80+ questions that werent asked? Maybe if Rolf and crew has a spare minute they could answer those on a seperate thread.

Edited by Lolly1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... That was kind of weak. Oh well, answered a couple things I was looking for answers too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IRC is reallly not a proper forum for those sort of things, answers overlapped new questions I think not always clear.

A moderated forum where players submit these questions as seperate threads, screened and lumped together if needed as for this chat, leaving time for devs to give a well thought out researched answer when they have time, with opportunity for further moderation to continue the thread would be so much better.

For example:

Can we rename pets? does the 'not' following that apply to that question or some dangling thought for a prior question not yet finished?. If 'not' what is the technical problem when all horses are random named? Why not use the same system?

Edited by yarnevk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest issue is that he didn't really seem prepared to answer any of the questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not bad really got a few good questions and some vague answers as always!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got good firm answers to a few subjects. There was a lot of, "ya that's cool, but don't expect it anytime soon". I enjoyed reading it.

Even know 90 some odd questions where asked, I bet there was frequent subject repetition.

One of my questions was answered regarding the spawn caps/lack of peaceful stuff. I gather the answer to that is Devs acknowledge it's a problem but have no plan or immediate intention to improve it. My other question had to do with offering players server choices with different aggro levels, like a peaceful or dangerous all champ/greenish. Not a word about the almighty no aggro server.

I thought that part about Kickstarter games coming up on the horizon is interesting. Kickstarter as a concept isn't the important part, its that we are seeing more sandbox or freedom of choice type games opposed to wow theme park clones. Ironically one of those games, Topia Online, might lead to me leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed it. Bridges will be here and dragons will fly. I cant list all the answers I saw. Good times. I am lucky to be apart of such a fun community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pity that we didn't get an answer to renaming pets.

Wossoo, you've done really well. There's always people who doesn't make things easier and negativity is rife, but still you always remain upbeat and positive!

Good job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read to Q&A log with interest, as usual. My overall impression is that the Wurm staff is working well together and focusing on more improvements to Wurm's strongpoint, the environmental and building aspects of the game.

Already on test server is the ability to make additions to existing houses rather than tearing them down. Players have long asked for this ability and now it will soon be available. Hopefully it will be geared towards newer players, making an existing wall easily removed by the writ holder, as they are the ones most likely to expand their houses as their building skills improve.

Also more additions to plantings that can be used to enhance ones surroundings. Positive improvement. Designing more furnishings for the interior of houses. Working on the ability to place items within houses and hang items on the walls. Nice. This reminds me of Ultima Onlines abilities to do the same, which added a lot of specialization to each persons house.

Also gleaned a bit more insight into Rolf's desires in respect to the games direction from comments that he made, as well as his satisfaction of recent additions with 1.0 and the impacts upon attracting new players to the game. That he is encouraged by the games current status and future prospects is key to it lasting and progressing long term. I am thinking that he now has a capable staff to back him up in that respect and feel more secure that the game will indeed progress in that positive direction.

All in all, an imformative and positive Q&A that should have players looking forward to the future progress of Wurm Online and more enjoyable creative aspects being added to it as time goes on.

=Ayes=

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For example:

Can we rename pets? does the 'not' following that apply to that question or some dangling thought for a prior question not yet finished?. If 'not' what is the technical problem when all horses are random named? Why not use the same system?

I agree, that was a bit confusing but :

[21:47] <&Rolf> people not on the writ should be able to sleep in the bed if there's a rent

[21:47] <&Rolf> or?

[21:48] <&Rolf> otherwise it's a bug

[21:48] <@Wossoo> Are there any plans to be able to rename pets?

[21:48] <&Rolf> not he is correcting him self here and adding a not to the line above (Otherwise it's´+not a bug)

[21:49] <@Xsamuraizx> That is how it is for non-citizen/ally players to use a bed. Most players want to set no rent which they can't use.

[21:49] <&Rolf> i may become convinced (This is in response to the pet renaming thing)

[21:49] <@Wossoo> Okay

[21:50] <&Rolf> ok needs a free rent then simply (in response to Xsamuraizx)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awww like he said^

btw im not sure if I liked these QandA not everything was asked and answered....and I wonder if it's maybe possible to send him a comprehensive list to let him answer when he also has time for it

Edited by Miretta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe for the next Q&A the PR people can start a Forum post so people can post his questions and that questions can be debated and refined, and maybe passed to the dev team before the sesion start so they can make a more elaborated responce. Then a certain time can be reserved for answering #wurmqa channel last minute questions.

My 2c

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or just have a monthly "Dear Dev's" post/thread. Building on KunAlt's and Miretta's posts, instead of taking the time to organize a live event like this (which we've seen some of the difficulties of doing), once the Top <insert number> of questions have been finalized each month, the Dev Team can answer them as their time permits without needing to clear their schedules. Just make sure there is a set expectation for these to be answered by a scheduled day, and if not, they need to explain to the point person and Rolf as to why not lol.

Something like this:

1st of the month:

  • Last Months Questions are updated with the Dev Team's response
  • New question list discussion begins

15th of the month:

  • Question list discussions wrap up/closed
  • List is finalized and presented to Dev Team

(provided schedule is just used as an example)

Don't get me wrong, I love the live events, having Rolf and company actively involved like this is a good thing, but you might get better return on a scheduled post/thread update which you have time to review your comments before posting. It would reduce potential confusion from chat lag/timing, and be a chance to ensure what you are saying is what you want to present and not off the cuff (which leads to more confusion for some people).

Either way, thanks to the entire team for getting this together and getting it done!

::edit insert::

I'm also not saying don't do live events at all, but maybe save them for bigger issue discussions/announcements/etc... just like "real life" press conferences. It is a great tool, but if you're only using it as it has been, you're losing some of the more important potential of them. Live events are great chance to "shake hands" with the consumers, so maybe tailor the live events to more interaction on that level and leave the pre-formatted question responses to a posted update?

Edited by Hussars

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0