Sign in to follow this  
KalinMenajin

Some Decorations Are Needed

With the new release and the expansion of houses upwards, I feel the need to point out that a new need has arisen...

Decorative items.

A person can only build so many forges, tables, chairs, beds, chests... The floors above are empty!

Not to mention marble /slate are in game without new aplications.

So I'd like to propose a few things (keeping in mind existing items and trying to not involve new mechanics)

1. Pots and vases.

We could be using pottery & masonry for more items, that we can place and /or move both in and outdoors.

some examples:

11975antique_stone_vase.jpg

retford_vase_310_413_sha_c1.png

m16.jpg

202.png

2. Indoor plants.

We could use some of them to plant a rose bush or a lavender, a gardenia.... and place it on our terrace, rooftop, livingroom, whatever. Or maybe right and left from inner door. Just imagine what each of us could do with so small adition.

3. Wall trophies and embroidments.

I think you will all agree the walls are empty. All I propose is 2 simple things -easy to code, no graphical hassle.

* Animal head trophies for the wall. We got the animal models, it's probably a matter of cropping. (using leatherworking? puppeteering?) We could have the option to behead an animal at the butchering stage. Then use a wooden plaque on the head and make a trophy for the wall.

* Wall embroidments. Can be either on Square piece of cloth or on papyrus sheets

Concerning the designs they can have, we can use the ones from Shop sign (and -btw- why can't we have those designs on our own banners as well? empty banners are just stupid)

4. More carpets.

This time decorative, not for meditation. I kinda hate the red-yellow colors, and the size is too small. We could add some bigger carpets with more browns, blues and red colors to use on our floors. We all know tailoring has too few items in list to be usefull anyway...

5. Small tables.

Personally, I've used a small chest as a bedside table, a wooden altar, a stool, and -ofcourse- a colossus brick.

However, having exhausted creative ideas, you'd still agree a mini model of the square table would be best. Better yet, a bedstand with the wooden altar model but not altar-usability

(not all are followers and those that are, have too many altars to destroy if they change faith)

6. Deity statues.

A bit oversized, maybe a tad taller than troll statue, the 4 gods are surely missing from a good altar-spot.

I'd risk public outrage saying it, but I'd also like a mini obelisk from marble /slate. Smaller even than a pillar. Hey, why not?

7. Garden masonry.

We got stone benches. Why not tables too? Why not a marble set? Easy adition :P

8. Cypress trees.

I'd like these in game. If they also replace the bothersomme lemmons -even better!!!

Italian%20Cypress.jpg?1287262869

I'm not suggesting to quit working on major game tweaks and bug fixes. BUt you'll agree that I'm not asking for crazy stuff either. ^_^

Edit: New adition -Cypress trees

Edit: Made images a bit smaller but they revert to original links. If someone knows how to reduce their size, let me know plz.

Edited by KalinMenajin
  • Like 2

or how about instead of adding useless nonsense to the game, they could fix the stuff that is here at the moment

• Like 1

or how about instead of adding useless nonsense to the game, they could fix the stuff that is here at the moment

Then we would never get any new things implemented.

Freedomers need to not post on forums for a long time

More Freedomers than Epic players, why should they have more of a say in the game? A noob should be more cautious about making any posts until they know the game better.

I would like to put a tool rack on the wall, paintings, photos

I like the idea

+1

• Like 1

How about you don't post on the forums for a looong time, most of the players on forums are Freedomers.

Don't see you coming up with any bright ideas so go somewhere else

Edited by Shrimpiie

Then we would never get any new things implemented.

There is the problem. It does not matter if you lag a little or bug out on freedom, because you don't lose anything from it. Sure it might get annoying for you guys, but nothing too awful to be a big deal.

However on epic, I have friends who die because of bugs and lag all the time. It is very frustrating that the only reason they die is because of a server bug, and you lose tons of work and gear.

So yes, I am rather mad because, while the bugs and lag continue to cause poor pvp and fake kills on epic, freedomers want to waste time on some damn pots

• Like 1

Yeah more decorations would be nice given how much extra housing space we can get since we can build vertically as well now.

Who exactly was this targetted at? Menajin plays on epic :P.

Since these items wouldn't have in game function it'd be more of a burden on the people making the models and textures rather than the programmers. And as far as I'm aware most the game issues are mechanical in nature and not going to be fixed by the art team.

• Like 2

Some people just reply without reading <_<

So I'd like to propose a few things (keeping in mind existing items and trying to not involve new mechanics)

and...............

I'm not suggesting to quit working on major game tweaks and bug fixes. BUt you'll agree that I'm not asking for crazy stuff either. ^_^

And -yes, I play on Serenity /Elevation. Does that mean I don't want a nicer home?

Some of us work for those things. Others (not naming names) just wander around raiding. Both should be welcomed and accomodated to their gaming.

If your logic was sound there wouldn't be addition of extra floors to housing. You didn't protest those however....

-1 I don't want new items. I want to not get stuck in walls, and if implemented I bet these new items would bring along with them a thousand new bugs that wouldn't become fixed. Instead we'd have to get used to whatever new bugs they intoroduce and then more items would be implemented.

More decorative items would be really nice if - and only if - a bunch of bugs were tended to first. IMO all development on new items should cease until some of the worst bugs are fixed. I know this won't happen, but I can always dream.

Also:

Functionality > Functions

There is the problem. It does not matter if you lag a little or bug out on freedom, because you don't lose anything from it. Sure it might get annoying for you guys, but nothing too awful to be a big deal.

Surely every one of the Wurm designers/developers aren't working on lag or bugs..

If there are designers/developers who are dedicated to this kind of stuff, let them think about it and maybe work on it.

Now if there is only one or two developers, then yeah, I say let them work on the core issues.

However, it never hurts anyone to post these kinds of things on the forums. Some people are just to sensitive and/or have nothing else going on in their lives than to just berate others.

Someone from the Artist team posted on another thread concerning furniture that this area of stuff in wurm is definitely going to get some love and is in the works I believe. When they'll implement it is another matter enitrely.

Surely every one of the Wurm designers/developers aren't working on lag or bugs..

If there are designers/developers who are dedicated to this kind of stuff, let them think about it and maybe work on it.

Now if there is only one or two developers, then yeah, I say let them work on the core issues.

However, it never hurts anyone to post these kinds of things on the forums. Some people are just to sensitive and/or have nothing else going on in their lives than to just berate others.

Actually i'm not being inconsiderate or unreasonable at all. There are still bugs from the release of 1.0 that haven't been fixed. Just because freedom enjoys a care-free world where bugs do not effect them, doesn't mean epic should be punished because of "freedom" decorations.

Actually i'm not being inconsiderate or unreasonable at all. There are still bugs from the release of 1.0 that haven't been fixed. Just because freedom enjoys a care-free world where bugs do not effect them, doesn't mean epic should be punished because of "freedom" decorations.

If the case where the other way around, at this time for sure some of the samrt guys in epic will come here an put something funny lke Oh! fredom problems or something like that...

Yes yes freedom is carefree, come to deli and try to take on hords of spider, we die here too guy, They are working on new stuff while fixing buys.

The Dev team is pretty good at getting their job done

Yes yes freedom is carefree, come to deli and try to take on hords of spider, we die here too guy, They are working on new stuff while fixing buys.

There is a bit of a difference though. On freedom it's an inconvenience. You simply have to go find and retrieve your corpse. On epic it could mean losing dozens of silver worth of equipment to the attackers that got an easy kill due to bugs.

I don't understand even why this discussion goes that way...

Nobody said "give us eye candy and forget the bugs" and I'm certainly not Rolf to decide where to give weight on development.

It's a suggestion-idea on a Suggestions & Ideas forum. People will state if they want to see these stuff in game, and developers will say "we can do those, but not those -and they will be done in (example) April." -simple as that.

At my house on Serenity I have 4 gatehouses with parapets that I can't shoot over.

A house adjacent to walls and fences that I fall through or get stuck in

(btw, I think this happens because of the new elevated "ground level" of pseudofloors -if you build a floor and a fence at its tile border you don't have this problem. It's like your foot gets stuck in those 10cms that you go up when stepping on a floor. If they revert horizon ground lvl to previous we wouldn't have the "stuck" problem but when entering house with floors our feet would dissapear in the floor. Like animals do when you bring them in house).

I built a 3rd floor terrace surrounded with stone & iron parapet and got 20 iron bars left over because the iron parapet doesn't use them. And from the 3rd floor -I still can't shoot over tall walls! It's like they go forever into the skies.

Trolls surround me and there's no mound in the area, they are stronger than ever before and when I'm near killing them, they run away and do "no target" on MY target pane over and over.

Do I want those things fixed? Of course I do!!! But I consider their fix a given and while waiting for it, I propose some extra stuff.

So let's consider it a given that everyone wants those bugs fixed and address this discussion as it is: Ideas to suggest for a better game.

Edited by KalinMenajin

Please don't let the trolls hijack the thread.

On an on-topic note, I believe the Fir tree that's coming out soon might be similar to what you're thinking for Cypress trees?

No, Fir tree is another close-to-ground large bush-type tree that will hinder visibility even more. Much like Oleanders at full growth.

Imagine spiders in there...

High_Country_Frasier_Fir_Tree_Home_lrg2.jpg

Cypress trees mean to be the oposite. Trees both pretty but also not limiting visibility. Cypresses also have the natural habit of spreading wild -like the lemmons we all hate.

Further than that, a Cypress planted next to a door will look great and not bother at all, while a Fir will branch inside the house and conceal the door completely.

I don't mind Fir beeing added, I don't propose removing it, but Cypress is a whole other thing.

Edited by KalinMenajin

"All native species reach heights of 10–80 m (30–260 ft)"

From wikipedia

Not all fir species are low growing. I was imagining 20 feet high Christmas style trees all year round. The work-in-progress pic could be any height I suppose.

I meant their bush volume is low on the ground. Never mentioned height.

Edited by KalinMenajin

Firs are full at the ground only when small, at full height they are just as open underneath as any pine or cedar. Go take a walk in a forest sometime. Between the low light levels, and deer/elk eating low branches in winter, it is quite open.

It kinda depends on how designers will make the model really, doesn't it? And besides, I bet they won't spawn full grown so for the most they will hinder visibility.

Anyway, this isn't about fir trees.

Cypresses are nice to have. You can make a cypress road, a roman style mansion, a vineyard border, a graveyard, and in general bring a little more southern-european style in game.