Sign in to follow this  
Kortanna

Highway Suggestion.

Today i discovered that highways as they are told to by me, are considered to automatically be a highway if you use a 2 lane road. I hate this idea.. I could understand if I agree to allow a highway going through my deed thus allowing people to not be kos'd. But if I want to make a 2 lane road in front of my house to connect me to a friends house or just make it easier traveling. I don't feel that it should automatically be deemed a highway just because it is 2 lanes wide.

To counter this auto highway ruling, I feel that all "official" highways should have to have sand on each side of the road. Thus marking it as an official highway. And allow those of us like myself, the ability to have 2 lanes without the "highway" rules taking affect on it. Auto making us give up our rights to be able to have a kos list. Or unable to make changes to it.

I plan to put up signs on my roads if build them " This is not a Highway ", since we have rules to protect the highways, I think this is a fair way to protect my private roads.

I plan to put up signs on my roads if build them " This is not a Highway ", since we have rules to protect the highways, I think this is a fair way to protect my private roads.

A griefer could come along and put those signs up. Then the griefer could send in another account to remove the road. This way of doing it has flaws.

A griefer could come along and put those signs up. Then the griefer could send in another account to remove the road. This way of doing it has flaws.

Signs have the creators tag unless things have changed. I'm thinking to do this on roads on my deeded tiles and perhaps perimeter ( I know I don't own those tiles ).

Best of Luck with this...

I did bring this up like 2 years ago and had no Luck with changing anything.

The prob I did see in the past and still see today is...

Someone can build a small snipped of 2 tile road, leading to nowhere really and it's then called a Highway and you have to make a monkey raindance to change even small things at the "highway". When I did want to make my changes I had to contact a GM, which I am fine with if its a real highway that has a purpose and does actually lead to somewhere and has a decent length (not just 20 tiles long). The first GM said plain and simple no... I did contact another GM a while later and said there was a GM in the past saying no and he still did approve the changes under certain criteria (which we did work out together). So I was finally off the hook and could do the changes, to have a nicer looking and more efficient (slope-wise) Road/Highway and also I could do the rocklayer mining so there was no rocklayer tiles in the middle of the highway which did slow people down uphills.

Another prob is... decayed deeds. Someone lays down a 2 tile "highway" because he thinks broader roads look nicer on his deed, then the deed decays and bang you have a "Highway" as of the rules and people that want to settle over this have to leave the "highway" (which is many times a snipped and even leading nowhere really) open for public, which is basically another hand at the steering wheel of your deed (my personal oppinion).

I think there has to be a better ruleset for Highways that declare what a Highway is in MORE detail (has to have a lenght of min. xx and has to have a purpose). There could also be a mechanism that could go hand in hand with this rules. A Highway catalogue, where all the real highways are listed on a map (like the community map) and they could also be named by the community with voting, so If anyone goes missing or has a prob or wanna send in an application to change a piece of highway he can call the Highway by its name and everybody can see on the map "Ah... it's there". Saves a lot of time in the end.

the problem i see here is that some people don't like sand as example and on some places it's already hard to terraform if you just make it 2 tiles wide... I can understand why someone would want that anyway, but can't think of an optimal solution here. But if I remember correctly, wasnt there a rule about, that only those are considered a highway which connects 2 points of interest?

Another thing regards asking GMs: you can normally make changes on the highway (specially if it makes it better) if you provide a temporary solution for people to pass and maybe even plant a sign that the highway is beeing worked on and as fast as possible.

Hi,

always thought that highways should be rare and limited. A few crossing the server, to provide basic safe paths. These should be made in a way easily distinctable, with GM approval. Maybe with GM's changing collected shards into a special material that decays quickly if not used for paving?

Any other roads would just be, well, roads, free to change as long as they are not protected by deeds. Or maybe perimeters, too.

Have fun!

I'd like to humbly propose placing highways under the "Heritage Site" ruling, thereby requiring a GM to designate a highway as one in order for it to be protected. No one should have a highway forced upon them.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 6

I agree with Elias. It might take time for GMs to investigate roads, but disputes over roads will take time to resolve as well.

Still think having something on the border tile in between the two lanes of a highway would be a good way to indicate what counts as a highway and what doesn't.

I would also make the decay on those highways faster the less they are used. I'm not talking 6 months here, I mean fast. This way, you have to make a choice. Either you want it to be a highway with GM protections, but then it had better be used... or you want it to last longer as undesignated by GM's and not protected by GM's.

If the road is not bothering the locals, and is considered helpful, you'd have nothing to worry about and no need for GM protection.

I don't like the fact that right now, a very small, I mean tiny, subset of the community can lay down very large highways all across the map thereby locking up land at no cost. The time taken to build the highway could be considered a cost, but it is offset by the skill gained in making the highway. Many highways are built just for skilling when there is no need to make it something so large.

If a highway is not being used regularly, it is not useful, and should not be allowed to exist for any extended period of time.

Part of the problem is that it doesn't really matter if you don't consider it a highway. As long as there are other players using it who consider it a public road, and it fits into the highway category, then it is one. Unless you completely wall it in you've built a public highway.

We've run into this problem a few times with roads connecting our deeds that we weren't allowed to then block off or reroute later because some random guy who build a shack nearby decided he'd rather use it than his packed dirt path.

I have a 3 lane street in my town, it isn't a highway obviously as it does not connect any two locations. Elias has it right, people should have to request a highway designation and have it approved. A system similar to the boat salvage wouldn't be too hard really. Like, the highway must connect two or more major locations, not be fenced in, blah blah.

Edited by Elen

Or just add to the definition of highway "not passing through a deeded area" and require "anyone placing a deed on an existing highway must make a clearly marked detour around the deeded area".

What if the highway builder IS a GM? Or the GM's girlfriend's little brother, or the GM's boyfriend's little sister... ?

What metric does a GM use to determine if something should or shouldn't be a highway?

There should be an associated cost of some sorts (not monetary) with highways. If they are actually relatively useful, the potential cost would be deemed completely worth it, or avoided entirely.

Traffic? Great! Go ahead and get the highway designation since traffic means it isn't going to poof quickly.

Got highway designation but nobody wanted nor needed all that pavement? No traffic = buh bye highway.

Don't want to take the risk that nobody gives two bits about the highway? Don't get highway designation. Then low traffic won't mean rapid decay... but you also can't lay some imaginary non-sensical claim to those tiles just because you happened to put a brick there.

System enforces itself without relying on GM's time or judgment.

Tbh I'd say just create a new option "pave highway" or whatever alongside "pave". This would create the same road but on mouseover it says in brackets (highway). This way anyone who wants to create a wide paved area that isn't a highway can. If everything else stays the same, this at least addresses that problem.

Tbh I'd say just create a new option "pave highway" or whatever alongside "pave". This would create the same road but on mouseover it says in brackets (highway). This way anyone who wants to create a wide paved area that isn't a highway can. If everything else stays the same, this at least addresses that problem.

As a name difference only without any coded protections this could work. It would certainly express the builder's intent clearly.

I agree with Elias, get the GM to designate it as hwy up front, to cover qualified roads and so players get the message the road is GM heritage protection (or Wraithglow idea of mouseover on tiles but created with GM magic wand). You can't enforce it with maps because not everyone uses the maps, it needs to be in game. A lot of pavers in the woods are ex house foundations and their plazas, they should be salvagable and not get automatic 'its a hwy leave it alone' rulings.

That way there is no difference in GM rulings, once the label is there anyone that screws with it knows they are in GM trouble. If no msg and they get KOS on a deed, it is clear they are not on a hwy, and cannot claim the deeder is griefing them. Simple /support application by anyone, (the deeder cannot claim his docks are not a hwy) the GM walks it and blesses it; sure it takes up time but it is much less time and drama than GM dealing with emotional hwy issues later when someone claiming someone griefed someone.

Two lane roads should be side sanded as well for visual indicator as one lane roads are already, the reason for the sand is to keep the road view clear from tree branches, with nowhere for mobs to hide, and the slope buffer so you can have a flat highway that horse carts don not get unhitched or stuck on. Didn't that used to be the rule anyways? When did it change to two cobbles only qualified?

Edited by yarnevk

Or just add to the definition of highway "not passing through a deeded area" and require "anyone placing a deed on an existing highway must make a clearly marked detour around the deeded area".

A lot of deeders claim shoreline, and the best route is thru the deed on the shoreline. You would require new servers residents to build highways up in the woods away from the shore that go around their deeds, even if they are willing to give up KOS rights and want the better shoreline route anyways.

hmm, well that pretty much would address what the OP was talking about wouldn't it? :P

Suppose I can chase my white whale some other time, I guess.

Though I'll just sneak in the fact that having a GM swing by to bless something still doesn't really give it any rhyme or reason. A bridge to nowhere can have all kinds of political blessings, but it's still a useless bridge.

You can bless a highway, but if there's nobody actually travelling the darned thing, why does it even continue to exist?

Ok ok, I'm letting it go... maybe :ph34r:

You can bless a highway, but if there's nobody actually travelling the darned thing, why does it even continue to exist?

Wurm already destroys highways that are not in use. Takes a while but it does work. Do not go looking for them by walking on the roads because in doing so you add to their use count and they do not decay. The layered road construction proposal would revert the paved roads to more natural roads as part of that process, meaning you would actually notice it rather than year later seeing it poof to grass.

Edited by yarnevk

That is a pretty god idea :D

+1 to this as the fix

-1 to the OP as is a lot of places it is hard to make in essence a 4 tile wide highway :/

That is a pretty god idea :D

+1 to this as the fix

-1 to the OP as is a lot of places it is hard to make in essence a 4 tile wide highway :/

Why must others suffer having roads being absorbed by Highways just because it's hard to add 2 more tiles?

I love wraithglow's idea about a text mouse over that shows it as highway. It seems like the perfect solution to the issue I was bringing up. This way people can still have 2 lane roads should they want, without the hassle of it being auto declared a highway. :) +1 on that idea.

+1 to Wraithglow's idea.

Why must others suffer having roads being absorbed by Highways just because it's hard to add 2 more tiles?

Well then those others can go out to add another 2 tiles to a roadway that is going up the side of the mountain, it is far from easy. I never said anyone else had to suffer, Glow's suggestion would work terrifically, as you could just build a different type of roadway and you wouldn't have to worry about kos rules if you create a two tile wide road next to your deed.