Sign in to follow this  
fireblade

Extending/reducing Existing Buildings/plans

With The addition of capability to build multi story buildings, arches and internal walls, and the recent bug with holes in the middle of buildings, I thought that it would be very useful to to have the capability to extend building ground plans, so can make buildings larger or smaller without having to demolish the whole thing and rebuild from scratch.

extending should require the same skill as to build a plan of the same shape and size.

could be done by adding an option to extend in addition to the current plan option that requires you to hold the writ for the building in question

an additional option could be the option to merge two, or more, existing writs that are next to each other if you extend onto a tile that borders two or more buildings/plans, this would require possession of all writs for the merged buildings.

• Like 1

an additional option could be the option to merge two, or more, existing writs that are next to each other if you extend onto a tile that borders two or more buildings/plans, this would require possession of all writs for the merged buildings.

I was right with you up until here. If you mean "an additional option could be the option to merge two, or more, existing writs so long as you have the skill for the whole building" then I'm still +1 to your whole idea :) Otherwise, its just an opportunity to bypass the carp requirements for large buildings.

• Like 1

I was right with you up until here. If you mean "an additional option could be the option to merge two, or more, existing writs so long as you have the skill for the whole building" then I'm still +1 to your whole idea :) Otherwise, its just an opportunity to bypass the carp requirements for large buildings.

i thought that was covered by "extending should require the same skill as to build a plan of the same shape and size.", but yes that is what i meant

+1 noobs hate to learn they cannot expand their shack and have to start over somewhere else. The worst case implementation to keep the database consistent might be an automated teardown, replan and free rebuild leaving only unfinished part the new expansions.

-1 I think the merge part is too difficult though, stick to expansion first (using existing plan rules) and see how it goes. When this was brought up before it got complicated with wanting to build multi-writ rentals to enable inns and taverns. Don't want to skip the simple implementation by complicating it with the complicated.

This is a game where I cannot enter my vineyard because I hedged it, with the neighbors horses getting out when the devs try to trim my hedges. Merging writs falls into that category of too easy to break.

Edited by yarnevk

Its been vaguely frustrating to have to completely rebuild, if I found I needed more space. The waste of materials always bothered me.

If not being able to nock out a wall and extand , then give back 75% of the material..on demolition.