Sign in to follow this  
Ruger

Q&a Log & Discussion

Yeah, it's also why the terrain in Wurm is not dirt tower after dirt tower - because it's just not necessary :) It's possible, but not necessary. Same as massive towers and the requirements to build them.

there won't be immense towers everywhere, even the standart material requirements are enough to ensure that.

Let's take the maximum example that anyone could consider reasonable: the Lighttower Of Pharos, Alexandria (world Wonder) it was 160 meters tall and would translate to 8x8 and a total of about 50 Wurm stories.

I expect a floor to take 10 mats, so each 8x8 story would already be 1280 bricks and at least 640 mortar.

The whole world wonder tower would be worth about 20 colossi or more.

And let's face it how many people even attempt to build a single colossus?

Edited by Keldun

It's not clear to me that you have to build an 8x8. The way Rolf described it you just need an adjacent tile to be 3 stories below, not all adjacent tiles. He said to build a 6 story you need a 1 x 2 with one tile at 3 stories and one to 6 stories, not a 3x3 with the outer ring at 3 and the inner tile at 6.

Granted the latter makes more sense but that's not what he described. If what he said is the case you don't need a 8 x 8. A 1 x 8 would allow a 24 story weird looking stair stepped building. With the first tile at 3, 2nd at 6 and so on. A 41 story building would only require a 1 x 14. Still a lot of work but not that much compared to some of the larger PvP deeds.

I'd really rather test than speculate but it's currently not possible on test which is itself concerning considering release is 3 to 5 days away (depending on whether you count the weekend for work).

• Like 1

Keep in mind... 41 stories... thats a lot of materials... most ppl dont even have 41 buildings in their village let alone try to stack them ontop of each other... i doubt you will see "mage" towers all over... a few here and there as it should be. :P anyone do the math yet for how many bricks/mortar will be needed? for 41 stories high? not to mention u have to have floors? on each one i think? i think ur talking over 10,000 if im not mistaken.... so yea lets get 10000 bricks and mortar ready for one building. ill get right on that... and people on my server are already talking about the price of materials doubling or trippling... so u might be paying near 100 silver just for mats for something like that... and have someone build it for u. or goodluck spending the next 1-2 months on it. i welcome the change.

0.o 41 stories, 75x 121 deed with all mountain, my god am i going to make some massive buildings as i got the trees, the stone, the sand and the clay!

I'll make my mage tower, but I estimate that it'll take me a year to build just because I'm so slow at doing anything in Wurm. I don't like to sit at the computer and grind on skills all day or sit for hours and do a single task, it's just monotonous. I probably spend a bit more time reading the forums than I do in-game, lol.. :unsure:

• Like 1

Left with a positive impression in general. I'm not sure I understood Rolf's method of calculating building floors however.

To those who feel disappointed; Avoid the hype. Being realistic is a fool-proof way of warding off the risk of feeling your excitement bubbles burst.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

I am not saying that's a great idea, just saying it sounds possible and not all that hard to do.

<@Wossoo> Sounds good - From Xblade - Will we be able to take our epic characters that have never set foot on freedom to the new island that is not connected to freedom?

<@Wossoo> or will the only way be via tutorial?

<&Rolf> you'll be able to get there from epic

<&Rolf> if you never entered the freedom servers

<&Rolf> it's existing functionality we wont change

<@Wossoo> Ahh interesting, so there will be some way to get money over?

<&Rolf> (coming from epic will of course reset your skills as usual)

<&Rolf> yes you can bring money that way, which I don't see a problem with

He's fine with it, don't see what the problem would be.

[EDIT] I think a whole bunch of us already went and spent shop money for this anyway. Win-win.

Edited by Darkmalice

I thought it was a fascinating read.

I hope Wosso will continue to do a Q&A chat with Rolf on a regular long term basis, say the first Friday of each month.

Thank you for posting the transcript.

I agree, only being a developer myself and having to do monthly updates on my current project, 30 days is nothing in a development context. I would rather suggest quarterly Q&A in this same format. That would be great!

• Like 1

I am afraid it might be an immersion killer for me with 41 story towers everywhere.

Yes everyone will build towers that require approximately 26 000 bricks/planks/mortar.for the exterior walls only everywhere. Instead of using the generous skill/story ratio to be more creative. Edited by Serpentarius

<&Rolf> i'm dreaming of a more intuitive aim system

<&Rolf> with a simple click to swing your sword

<@Wossoo> Ah that sounds cool - so you envisage more player skill than ingame avatar skill?

<&Rolf> simple, as in the longer you hold the more punch etc

<&Rolf> but you'd decide if you want to punch hard or quick

No. Many, many no. If I wanted to play a fps game that relied on player skill, I'd go play a damn fps game that you get bored of an hour later. Instead I play a game called Wurm, that rewards you for grinding, as it's a grind based game. It takes player skill out of combat itself, requires you to grind specific skills, choose specific tactics and combinations, and so forth. The combat system we have may be clunky and could use some improvements, but it fits Wurm as it is now. Improve what we have, don't change it.

• Like 5

No. Many, many no. If I wanted to play a fps game that relied on player skill, I'd go play a damn fps game that you get bored of an hour later. Instead I play a game called Wurm, that rewards you for grinding, as it's a grind based game. It takes player skill out of combat itself, requires you to grind specific skills, choose specific tactics and combinations, and so forth. The combat system we have may be clunky and could use some improvements, but it fits Wurm as it is now. Improve what we have, don't change it.

You misunderstood him, he means improving the current aim system, I dont see whats the problem with making it more player skill based.

I can see it now huge towers everywhere, gonna be ugly sites. The thing that now concerns me was this part. I am really suprised no one has even brought this up yet. Personally I hope this falls to the wayside as I am happy the way things are.

<@Wossoo> From this question came questions about crafting system

< @Wossoo> any plans for that?

<& Rolf> budda has

< @Wossoo> ooh

<& Rolf> making crafting a bit more workbenchy

< +Budda> que

<& Rolf> and visible

<& Rolf> somehow, i haven't had time to consider it a lot lately

< +Budda> oh right, yeah I plan on making crafting a lot easier early in the new year

< +Budda> less click click click

< @Wossoo> ahh nice that would be great for wrists and shoulders around the world! :D

<& Rolf> budda to the rescue!

< +Budda> couple of things to do before that though

To me this starts treading into make or break territory for me, This I hope is brought forth before work even gets started on it. I want to know more of this system and not wake up one day log onto Wurm and find we now have some crafting system that is geared toward people with 0 attention span and see people with 100's in all skills.

• Like 4

I agree with that. It would be nice if we would get "crafting window" for creation of items, so we wouldnt need so much mouse actions per nail made etc... Such bulk items have long been waiting more user friendly methods.

But I hope it stays away from the way we are imping items. Wurm is unique in the way it is itemized (over 90ql items take good amount of time to imp higher no matter what skills/tools). There is no reason to take that part away from wurm. Just like the way we can terraform wurm is unique trait, imping process is just as important unique trait.

Yeah, it's also why the terrain in Wurm is not dirt tower after dirt tower - because it's just not necessary :) It's possible, but not necessary. Same as massive towers and the requirements to build them.

I can see where you getting at with dirt towers. Simple play-around with dynamic heightmap mesh modify gives programmer the idea to make the "tiles" a dirt towers, where as Wurm seems to more alot more than heighmat mesh because of the corners (although I once argued that wurm map style is "voxel corner" map with vertex projection... or something that way, I suck with "professional terms"...). Also I've seen lots of debate whether or not Wurm is 2D or 3D... which I only could understand based on how Wurm "has" been calculating distance (where height play no role in distance) but that doesnt mean its 2D. The distinction argued could be stretched to great lengths saying even World of Warcraft is 2D game. Dunno if I strayed far off the point.. but... heck, allow me rambling too.

a7fb8f8168694e5a9a5729a.png

• Like 1

Added a link back to this thread in the wiki under current events. Will change the link if a dedicated tracker is created for the Dev Q&A topics.

Edited by Hussars

To me this starts treading into make or break territory for me, This I hope is brought forth before work even gets started on it. I want to know more of this system and not wake up one day log onto Wurm and find we now have some crafting system that is geared toward people with 0 attention span and see people with 100's in all skills.

I'll just say that nothing has been finalised (or started) yet, but the idea is to have a window to replace the right-click create menus for everything (though this is mainly for bulk items - nails, planks, etc).

The main point of it is to get rid of the whole

- Right click

- Create

- Find section you want

- Find item you want

- Click

And instead (or in addition - not sure if we'll remove the current way) have a dedicated window that keeps the list of possible items up, so you select the item you want to make, and hit create.

• Like 6

I'll just say that nothing has been finalised (or started) yet, but the idea is to have a window to replace the right-click create menus for everything (though this is mainly for bulk items - nails, planks, etc).

The main point of it is to get rid of the whole

- Right click

- Create

- Find section you want

- Find item you want

- Click

And instead (or in addition - not sure if we'll remove the current way) have a dedicated window that keeps the list of possible items up, so you select the item you want to make, and hit create.

Making macro-ing a million times easier. Not saying I do it or condone it but this is what would happen. Their is no need for this type of window.

So to stop macroing we all have to deal with a sub-par menu system for creating items? I think there are plenty of ways to deal with macroing that the devs can come up with, using the macroing excuse is weak.

We're not going to design it to be bad in usability respects for the majority of players just to slow down the few scummy macro-ers.

• Like 13

We're not going to design it to be bad in usability respects for the majority of players just to slow down the few scummy macro-ers.

I like the sound of that.

The current system has this feeling already. I feel it won't be hard to improve on the (let's face it) rather bland improving/creation system. Very repetitive, lots of menus, lots of clicking. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with to make this better.

Keep it up.