Photo

Q&a Log & Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#1 Ruger

Ruger

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Here is the log broken down and sectioned from the Q&A session. The ***comments*** are comments made inside #wurmqa by other staff. The log is a complete log but due to it being so long I sectioned it off behind spoilers for those who are more focused on one topic then another and for easier reading.

Enjoy and discuss.

<@Wossoo> Hi everyone - and welcome to our Wurm Online Developer Q&A on the 7th December 2012 at 2:00PM CET
<@Wossoo> Thanks for coming!
<@Wossoo> I am going to field questions which have been sumbitted via email etc, and put them to Rolf and the other developers
<@Wossoo> On the subject of Wurm online going 1.0, what this means for the game and so on.

<@Wossoo> Rolf do you have anything you would like to say to start off with before questions?
<@Wossoo> Or any of the other developers.

<&Rolf> I can start off by saying Welcome all, and that as far as I know we're on track with the release
<&Rolf> not everything is done but there are no showstoppers
<&Rolf> so we have some work left but it looks good
<&Rolf> so bring'em on Wossoo

<@Wossoo> Okay - the questions are vaguely in theme order. Most came regarding the new server so we will start there.
<&Rolf> ok

New server questions
Spoiler

Multi-storey questions
Spoiler

Graphic updates
Spoiler

Bugs, Updates and testing
Spoiler

1.0 or general issues questions **CHAOS**
Spoiler

<@Wossoo> It's 3:30PM which is the end time for this Q&A but there are alot more questions to ask - are you able to carry on a bit longer?
<&Rolf> yeah ten minutes
<@Wossoo> okay cool
<@Wossoo> I will move onto more general questions now and hopefully the biggest ones. There are so many questions but not enough time it seems!

General last minute questions
Spoiler

<&Rolf> thanks everyone for listening!
<&Rolf> and enjoy Wurm 1.0
<@Wossoo> Yeah, its a shame we couldnt get every question asked

<@Wossoo> Yeah, its a shame we couldnt get every question asked
<&Rolf> yup
<@Wossoo> Hopefully we can have another Q&A at some point
<@Wossoo> for more general suggestions and questions
<@Wossoo> Thanks Rolf and the other developers for coming and answering questions!

Edited by Ruger, 07 December 2012 - 02:55 PM.

[22:57:41] <Chillywilly> I like my women like I like my coffee... in a plastic cup

#2 atazs

atazs

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

After this im a bit dissapointed. First the server wont be the size of inde/chaos which i dont like. However the major things that dissapoint me is that how rolf kept praising wurm 1.0 etc and after this basically he says: We are a team of 3 please dont expect anything big. Also many things are not coming on wednesday like:bridges,3d mines,balconies,gold,silver and bronze chain armour wont be visible on release, staircases wont be able to be used and more. And over all many other old things are not coming on wednesday either only later. Later is when its done™... However i still cant wait

Atazs reveals the Hammer of Magranon [20:01:14] The settlement of Wurm Income Disintegrating Like Caves has just been disbanded by Kix.

#3 Xianruflux

Xianruflux

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for posting this, Ruger. I, and I'm sure many others who couldn't be on, really appreciate it. :D

#4 Nimba

Nimba

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Yes, agreed - many thanks Ruger.

Did I get this right? Only Epic players will be able to take silver across - the rest of us (and new players) have to pay real money for deed forms, merchant forms etc?

Hope I got that wrong.

#5 Ruger

Ruger

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I agree I am rather disappointed by some of the things said.

I have never been a player on chaos but I would love to play there and am training my characters skills up to play there one day so to hear that it is going to be continued to be pushed onto the back burner and not reviewed is rather upsetting. Im beginning to wonder if the best course of action for full pvp in wurm due to all the non-pvpers on chaos is that a new server is opened the size of chaos east of deliverance. I think that is probably the best solution as it creates a even playing field, no super deeds, its a land grab, build your defenses while your getting attacked, etc.

As far as multi-story, budda hit it on the head "41 stories, do you even climb bro?" that is way huge but I look forward to it. I am upset no stairs so I will not be rebuilding my house until those come in.

I think my main upset right now is the chaos thing and poor management in time for the session. A lot more questions could of been addressed as well as better answered.
[22:57:41] <Chillywilly> I like my women like I like my coffee... in a plastic cup

#6 Ruger

Ruger

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Did I get this right? Only Epic players will be able to take silver across - the rest of us (and new players) have to pay real money for deed forms, merchant forms etc?

Hope I got that wrong.

Pretty much. Their is a work around for this though. Make a new character and send him to the epic server, take your character who has never been to epic server to the server that your character is on. So if you make an epic character on affliction take your freedom one to affliction, give the epic player the coin then send your epic player over to the pristine server to meet your new pristine character to give them the money.

Its a bunch to do but once you get through the tutorial its easy from there.

#7 Nimba

Nimba

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Tx Ruger - I hope someone can explain all that to new players - baggies not meeee !!

#8 Busted

Busted

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have never been a player on chaos but I would love to play there and am training my characters skills up to play there one day so to hear that it is going to be continued to be pushed onto the back burner and not reviewed is rather upsetting. Im beginning to wonder if the best course of action for full pvp in wurm due to all the non-pvpers on chaos is that a new server is opened the size of chaos east of deliverance. I think that is probably the best solution as it creates a even playing field, no super deeds, its a land grab, build your defenses while your getting attacked, etc.

This is the last hope for any proper pvp for those of us who don't want to start from scratch on epic. It's either that or let us migrate our freedom characters to epic without any skill loss. Without this, it's time to throw in the towel.

#9 Nimba

Nimba

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Oh wait, they won't have coin eh. Aw so they'll be at a disadvantage - same-old same-old.

#10 belthize

belthize

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Tx Ruger - I hope someone can explain all that to new players - baggies not meeee !!

No need for new players, they won't have characters on freedom with silver to transfer.

I'm not sure I parsed his tower plan, it sounded like you can make a 1x1 3 stories tall, or a 1x2 with 1 tile at 3 stories and the other at 6. or a 1 x 3 with one end at 3 stories, the middle at 6 and the far end at 9 stories. That's going to make for some weird looking buildings. A minimal tile maximum height approach ends up making a spiral. E.G. a 3 x 3 base can all be 3 x 3, then 8 of those tiles can be 6 stories, then 7 of the remaining ones to 9, 6 to 12, 5 to 15 etc.

Seems an odd way to do it.

#11 joedobo

joedobo

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Buildings are going to be epic, thank you! I was very worried we would be forced to make due with mediocre construction projects.

>>Drag cart up to other levels? I'm guessing asking to drive them would be asking too much, I would still like that tho.<<

I don't get the support mechanic mentioned. Here are some picture, are any correct?

.....|
.....|
.....|
.....||
.....||
.....||
....||||
....||||
....||||
...||||||
...||||||
...||||||
..||||||||
..||||||||
..||||||||
8 by 8 ground level size @ 96 Carp.

....|
....|
....|
....||
....||
....||
1 by 2 ground level size.

When building will you need higher building skill (carpentry/masonry) to both plan and do continue building actions? Similar to how one needs 30 masonry to make a stone wall.

I'm curious about material consumption comparison between say first floor and tenth floors. Other then needing 38 skill ( 21 skill @ 3 plus 14 skill for 7 more) what other challenges are there?

WAR Wurmians Against Realism

#12 Wulfgar

Wulfgar

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

I almost choked when he said 1 additional floor per 2 carpentry skill. I was sure he was going to correct it to 20 but no.
I am afraid it might be an immersion killer for me with 41 story towers everywhere.
At the very least double the material requirements per floor or something to limit it.
I am no longer associated with the in-game account of Wulfgar.

#13 belthize

belthize

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

I don't get the support mechanic mentioned. Here are some picture, are any correct?

They match how I read it. The odd thing is I don't think you need an 8 x 8 to make your top picture, I think you can build that as a 1 x 8. I predict there are going to be some weird looking buildings.

I almost choked when he said 1 additional floor per 2 carpentry skill. I was sure he was going to correct it to 20 but no.
I am afraid it might be an immersion killer for me with 41 story towers everywhere.
At the very least double the material requirements per floor or something to limit it.

Yeah, I was expecting more like 1 story / 10 skill or some such so 9 stories at 90 skill. That and I'd assumed the bases had to be more symmetrical, the way I read it you just need an adjacent tile no more than 3 stories lower, maybe Rolf mis-spoke.

Edited by belthize, 07 December 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#14 Mallaboro

Mallaboro

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Ah. Awesome stuff. Can't wait.
I'd rather not be here.

#15 Kyrmius

Kyrmius

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

@Atazs I remember Rolf saying last year when Deli openned that Wurm would not be making any more servers as big as Inde or Wild is size. Something about the database being too large for big servers and problems associated with that if I remember correctly. Somebody around here I bet could confirm that.

I wished for the new Players that the new Server would be a big one as well. I think big servers offer a better experience overall simply because they can hold more people and still have room to breath (that is what I miss about Inde from when my character used to live there).

Edited by Kyrmius, 07 December 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#16 Darkmalice

Darkmalice

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

No big surprises; tall towers sound great to me, shame about the metal armours.
Some things to look forward to in future updates, hopefully this one will avoid the worst of the bugfest.
There is one rule; deed it or lose it... Or at least it used to be.

#17 Mallaboro

Mallaboro

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

could fit an entire village inside 1 house
I'd rather not be here.

#18 Brash_Endeavors

Brash_Endeavors

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I thought it was a fascinating read.

I hope Wosso will continue to do a Q&A chat with Rolf on a regular long term basis, say the first Friday of each month.

Thank you for posting the transcript.

#19 alaskanbob

alaskanbob

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Yeahh, periodic updates to let peeps know what is/has been worked on would be beneficial for all parties involved I think.

#20 Protunia

Protunia

Villager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,651 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hope I got that wrong.

Pretty much anyone can bring coin over through epic and it is a small island, soooo.....land grab from the start for all the newest players coming to wurm to see.

Better hope he doesn't get too many people actual new people coming or they are in for a treat when they cant find any land.

Basically same ole same ole land lords without the skills.

Also the whole drawn out 40 mins about the PvP stuff was....A bit much.....Considering...

Tutorial
Golden Valley players 21/400

PvE
Deliverance players 107/400
Independence players 159/800
Exodus players 109/800
Celebration players 99/400

PvP Light
Serenity players 68/400
Desertion players 37/400
Affliction players 17/400

Full PvP
Chaos players 42/800
Elevation players 30/400

Total players
689/5200

Edited by Protunia, 07 December 2012 - 06:21 PM.

GET TO WORK!!