Sign in to follow this  
Lei

Hitching Posts

So, last night, a bit of genius came to a few of my fellow villagers and me.

As we were building the town stables on our Epic deed, we noticed our horses kept wandering away, to the point sometimes where we litterally spent 5 minutes looking for them (They're fast beasties). And, thinking logically, we said things along the lines of "I wish I could tie it to the building, so it wouldn't run away" ... and here's the bit of genius part... "Why don't we have hitching posts?!"

You see them all over the place in certain areas of the world. They're still very common today, especially in rural areas, and surely would have fit the era for which the Wurm world is based in... It simply makes sense. Why cant we tie our horses to a hitching post? One would simply have to lead a horse with a rope, and then right click the hitching post to "Hitch" it, similar to how you hitch the animals to a large cart.

The game coding would be rather simple, and be borrowing the code from carts but with a stationary point instead of a mobile one.

The graphics side wouldn't have to be too elaborate, and I'll include my idea of what they could look like.

The crafting would include forging a "Large Iron Ring" and using it on a shaft (or log, perhaps). When the item was finished, you'd plant it like a lamp post, and then it would be ready for use!

Now I know what you're thinking. "It would eliminate the purpose of fences" - as well as pens in general.

A way that could be countered is that the creature does not eat while hitched. It would be more of a temporary parking place.

An example: - Oh, you're visiting a friend but dont want to lead your horse around all day, or ask access to their pens? Just use the local settlement hitching post!

Here's what it may look like:

th_HitchingPost.png

Wurmians, what do you think!?

• Like 2

+1 I like the idea.

You could even adapt a street lamp to be a hitching post, like you say, it doesn't need to be elaborate. You might want to be able to allow/disallow hitching post usage on-deed. You could also limit the number of animals hitched to a post.

+1 and +1 to the same idea the last 17,889 times its been suggested ;)

PS if you continue to lead your horse it doesn't wander off. Not saying this replaces hitching posts, they're needed for guest horses on deed etc

Edited by Shiraek
  • Like 1

Never liked this idea the many times it was brought up in the past.

You would see these all over the place alright and they would become an eyesore worse than 1x1 shacks.

Edited by Protunia

Protunia, I guess that depends how much work the graphics team put in to making it look nice. They don't really need to worry too much, in my view, but they could take the decision to make something fancy and create something similar to a market stall. Either way I support it.

Protunia, I guess that depends how much work the graphics team put in to making it look nice. They don't really need to worry too much, in my view, but they could take the decision to make something fancy and create something similar to a market stall. Either way I support it.

They would have to take much time to build and be limited to placing them like once per week or more.

I do not think they should have any rights like fenced enclosures or deeds.

Horses or animals left on these posts should be free to take and be killed.

I also think aggressive mobs should be able to eat these free meals tied up.

I can see this being used to exploit the game as well.

Edited by Protunia

Could make it so that there are 2 kinds, a shaft and a bit of metal, or a shaft of steel. The wooden would decay in 24 hours reguardless of quality or on/off deed. The steel would be similar to the decay of.. iron fence?

I do not think they should have any rights like fenced enclosures or deeds.

If its On deed it should be covered by deed rules, but other wise yeah.

Horses or animals left on these posts should be free to take and be killed.

it should still be a manner of "stealing" if it would be on deed. It is a horse hitched to an object with a rope, its obvious that someone put it there and that taking it would be stealing from that player. Only on deed though.

I can see this being used to exploit the game as well.

Everything in wurm is exploitable

They would have to take much time to build and be limited to placing them like once per week or more.

I wish i hated fun as much as you do Protunia.

• Like 3

Meh Protunia doing a -1 is akin to most everyone else doing a +1. :P

Personally Id prefer to be able to tie a horse to a tree or something, and aye has to be capable of being undone by other players. Having a hitching post or rail would be a good alternative for setups without trees.

actually yeah you could have metal shaft and trees rather than wooden shafts, and just have the rope decay fast with the tree.

Actually, I prefer the idea of a rail and a drinking trough , Wild West style :)

Edited by Pryath
  • Like 1

Why do you need a hitching post? Just let us time them to trees and fences. :rolleyes:

Every village has fences.

Edited by Macgregor

Exactly, just hitch it to a fence or a lamp post, wouldn't really require much I would imagine, would make like much easier when out and about :D

+1

• Like 1

+1 but don't use code from carts, please. We do not want to lost horses after every server crash/restart :P

How bout this:

After a server crashes, all horses that have been tamed don't move until someone right clicks them and clicks "move"

This post was my very first post on the Wurm Forums 5 years ago! \o/  It's the reason I joined the Wurm Forums!

Unfortunately, it's still not been added, despite lots of other requests, and an entire Wurm Unlimited mod created so people would have their fix!

Please, devs! It's an easy addition that lots would love! Thanks for all you guys do (:

+1 for Hitching Posts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

saddles?:huh: (prevents wandering)

Agreed, they do. But for new players or for animals other than horses hitching posts would be nice. And some players dont have a lot of extra saddles laying around too.

How about combining the good and bad.. creation at low ql.. no decay ondeed, but regular decay offdeed(persistent and temporary..hitching posts in other words) and allowing the horses to eat.. some could use them to 'pin' horses on tiles to graze.. and other are going to use them normally...(not like it's better to place 4x walls/fences around an animal compared to 1 item..

IDK I just do not see the point for roping animal if it's unable to eat

(I'm not against the idea or giving -1, just tossing my 2c opinion:))

On 12/3/2012 at 8:42 AM, Lei said:

Here's what it may look like:

th_HitchingPost.png

Wurmians, what do you think!?

Gotta love that pic :)

What about using the mechanics from hitching a horse to a tent?  (or any animal, some ppl do ride cows)

+1 IF it doesn't allow another post within a 1 block radius and only allows at most 2 animals. I like the idea of leaving your horse somewhere, but not full ranches composed of this.