Sign in to follow this  
kraten

The Great Fence Of China

Make enclosure length (including any gatehouses in the loop) a function of exponential decay not just in time but in length, those sections closest to starting point have less decay, those furthest away have worst decay. Does not matter where you start the loop, but certainly any gate or gatehouse is a logical starting point. It could logically done with construction order, but needs a retroactive nested loop algorithm if that info was not saved. The time decay is already exponential it is not linear, so this is as simple as incrementing the material QL exponent based on length from start. Only issue is tuning it with the goal that 90QL premium stone fence is equal to a 9QL mossy wood fence at some known length.

The greedy land baron then has a headache in T&M even if high QL stone, and the fence will break in the most remote areas last in the loop. Sure it is not realistic it is gamist, (you could pretend a troll did it, which BTW is another realistic solution they could have a thing for long fences blocking their way) but you need to make it so the cheapest way to maintain a huge fence enclosure is a deed so that the devs see money for this land. A perimeter reservation or buffer is not a deed and subject to same decay in the wild even if the mayor put it up, you are not paying for the perimeter to preserve your fence, you are paying to reserve it for a deed. As discussed in a prior thread this is not good for hunters if deeds kill spawn, simple solution is spawns still happen if you hire no deed guards.

The noob farm is not going to full apart when he checks in next weekend. The mine entrance fence being used to work around mine doors blowing down in a strong wind stay strong.

Add that the noobs need to be capable of destroying their own fences built by them the same as a mayor on a deed, without any strength. They can vaporize their shack with the writ, but even with good intentions to clean up after they move on, they can't destroy the fence so fence enclosure should be added to the writ vaporize. Even premium strength is not enough, as I spent an entire Sunday destroying my own (off-deed) fence corner with a 50QL troll club just to put in a gatehouse, and that was after failed attempts with a 30QL maul that I wore to a nub. And I had no hope of destroying my own noob farm fence when I moved on.

None of this includes hedges, as they can be easily pruned and are not at all secure off-deed, they are there solely for looks not protection.

Edited by yarnevk

Even premium strength is not enough, as I spent an entire Sunday destroying my own (off-deed) fence corner with a 50QL troll club just to put in a gatehouse

Catapults are your friend. Why settle for 1 damage every 30 seconds, when you can do 20? War Machines FTW!

I hate going down the road of increased decay. Starts opening the door to make more items have increased decay. We wont even go into the oops's made a mistake increasing fence decay, sorry everyones bsb's are gone. I strongly feel decay has been recently ramped up anyway as I have found myself repairing items on deed a whole lot more now. Boats,bsb's,fsb's,coffins,wells, altars. Have seen ore piles dissapear in under 24hrs. I just fear it wont end with fences and we wind up spending 40-50% of our play time repairing and imping stuff.

For a real new player with a small 2x3 house and a little 5x5 enclosure, it's really not going to take hours every day just to repair his stuff. if a 45 ql iron fence stands with only 60 damage after a year of no input, Im sure a 20 ql stone wall or wooden fence will be fine being repaired once every month or two, even if the decay is increased from what it is now.

For the people who do want to maintain those massive enclosures however, even a 50x50 has 200 fences (and additional gatehouses). For them it would actually become a real chore to keep things repaired. Additionaly a hard cap on the size of these enclosures would be nice.

Ontop of that, allowing new players to destroy at least their own fences, and for people with premium who can bash (on pve servers) the damage output for every bash should be upped. Its not attractive to go clean up starter town areas that are rotting when it takes half an hour to just bash down one wooden fence.

My perimiter isn't free ####. I PAY for it. And I gladly keep it all maintained. And I didn't say it protected fences from decay and I do manually repair everything. The noobs do get screwed again. If they can't log in for some reason, and that DOES happen, they are hosed. I have one next door that I help from time to time and they are out of town. If decay is increased it will be more than a couple planks every month.

Yes, you have a 5 tiles perimeter that comes with any sized deed, no matter what, you can then pay to expand a bigger perimeter, but that is including the 5 original tiles

Edited by Shrimpiie

Even a 50x50 enclosure wouldn't be hard to maintain Alyeska. If you're owning that much land, I'm sure that making 200 planks a month isn't much to ask. That's easily do-able in a few hours, including cutting and fixing the fences.

I play wurm off and on every few months and numerous times I've come back to see my previous settlement still standing, which is rediculous after not playing for months. If a fence isn't repaired at all in 4 months, it should be gone. 4 Months is more than enough time.

Structure decay and item decay are very different things tweaked for different reasons, but as crass as it sounds the fact remains that it's Rolf's only real way of adjusting the impact of the players on the server for performance reasons as well as for landgrabbing control. If the server becomes bogged down by too many items Rolf has no choice but to increase decay to remove items from the world at an increased rate. Likewise, if the non-deeded fenced areas become too large and/or numerous there are few options but to increase the decay to reduce the average amount of non-deeded land players can control with reasonable effort. Thus, if you find yourself spending too much time maintaining your walls it suggests you're attempting to claim too much free land.

Even a 50x50 enclosure wouldn't be hard to maintain Alyeska. If you're owning that much land, I'm sure that making 200 planks a month isn't much to ask. That's easily do-able in a few hours, including cutting and fixing the fences.

It's not much, but it's more effort than making a massive enclosure and not have to do anything for months or even a full year on end :P

It's not much, but it's more effort than making a massive enclosure and not have to do anything for months or even a full year on end :P

Right as always. :rolleyes:

I disagree with this, simply because people tend to forget, that newbies don't make high ql fences and those low ql fences are already decaying very fast even WITH maintenance.

Also I don't know why it's too long if an iron fence with 40ql stays for a year, it's a damn iron fence, the best you can make from those smaller fences and in real life you'll see similar structures that live for sometimes more than 100 years O.o

I disagree with this, simply because people tend to forget, that newbies don't make high ql fences and those low ql fences are already decaying very fast even WITH maintenance.

Also I don't know why it's too long if an iron fence with 40ql stays for a year, it's a damn iron fence, the best you can make from those smaller fences and in real life you'll see similar structures that live for sometimes more than 100 years O.o

I think what people are forgetting is that when we talk about the decay being way too long on high ql fences, its still way too long on low ql fences. I have neighbors with 24-28 ql walls that have been up over 6 months now. ANNNDDD most of them are at 56-65 damage. If you aren't going to put money OR time into the game to keep up with your stuff, why are we defending your land from people who would spend that time and money?

In all seriousness, while were talking about realism in the game as well. I dont understand how after years of gameplay for your character, you still get stronger with every action you make instead of eventually slowing down and forgetting how to cast good enchants. Newbies should be building things faster and probably better than the rest of us thats been here awhile growing old.

/sarcasm

I think after all is said and done, in the spirit of the game Alyeska put it best :

Deed it or lose it

There needs to be more value placed on having a deed. Right now you can place the minimum 11x11 deed and then fence a 50x50 space with no recourse. The think I thing we can all agree on is we'd hate to see Wurm struggle for financial reasons. I love the game and I think the Devs deserve the proper income. I think 50x50 fenced in areas with a tiny deed is not the business model they intended. Claiming that much land is fine but it shouldn't be free.

Normal decay rate to a certain QL then it doubles after.

I have alot of fencing on perimiter i walk it every day to see what shape its in, good thing for new graphics. thanks guys for that..

I have some fencing off deed to let people have acces to public mine , keeping me from having to give acces to my deeded part.

No matter what people can be jerks and love to greif mines.

How about:

Make the decay a percentage of the QL. That way the fences of newer players are still maintainable, while high-QL fences go down with larger jumps each time decay hits them. Makes the loss of fences to decay when not maintained more evenly spread out.

Yes, this does discourage making fences of high QL (or imping them high up) up to a point (though higher QL could still be much tougher to take down by bashing them, making it still meaningful to make high QL) - but on the plus-side it woud mean that abandoned deeds/places with large area's fenced in with high QL fences (the ones able to make that high QL are also the ones often taking up quite a bit of land) would be opened up for traveling through again just as quickly as the (often much smaller area's ) of low-QL fences would be. Also, maintaining is much quicker for more-skilled players, so maintenance-times would still be reasonable for those with high-QL fences too (without making maintenance of low-QL fences almost impossible).

Making it a function of enclosure length is better.

Your assumption that a high QL fence is also huge, does not consider the very common practice of mine frame fence enclosures used in place of inadequate mine doors. You would also have to apply the high QL means more decay to the deed blocking gatehouses, which means it applies to houses in general simply because there is no way to tell the difference.

-1 No. Yet another bad idea. Why do I get the feeling alts are asking for faster fence decay? All of a sudden there's a bunch of them. Trolls maybe.

Edited by Sarcaticous

-1 No. Yet another bad idea. Why do I get the feeling alts are asking for faster fence decay? All of a sudden there's a bunch of them. Trolls maybe.

LOL

So its wrong to want faster fence decay to make people take responsibility for the land they hoard and to help demolish long abandoned and unused fences in the landscape without taking a tremendous amount of time bashing or catapulting? In response to an earlier post, it still takes a long time to catapult a wall down as you need to mine down the rock shards walk the catapult out to the deconstruction site and combine, load, wind, and fire. Maybe not as long as bashing but a longer time than needed on 20ql low stone walls >.<

Never been a problem before. In fact fences decay faster than they have previously. I can only surmise that a handful of people want the ability to more easily grief. And that is the danger in any of these threads. It's merely a griefing tool.

BTW, I've yet to see a problem with a shortage of available land. That makes me even more suspicious of the purpose of the multiple threads about this subject.

Oh, and even funnier. You get people complaining about hunting. Then others tell them if they want hunting grounds they should make them. So if they do that then they are accused of 'hoarding land'. Darned if you do. Darned if you don't.

Again. -1

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 2

I think it would be nice if unmaintained fences/walls decayed much quicker than they do, but only if it's easier to keep them maintained (maybe by removing the need for a plank/brick/whatever if the damage is under 10 or 5 or something. This would reduce the clutter from abandoned villages and at the same time make it slightly easier for active players to keep their area maintained.

I like this, increase decay rate, remove any material required to repair.

The Tenakil are is hilarious for giant fenced areas. Should be a size limit imposed on enclosure size and not allow two enclosures to be connected to each other (to stop multiple size imposed enclosures from being exploited)

+1 because i'm constantly walking into half-rotten mile long fences placed in the middle of nowhere as if they knew what they were doing.

The Tenakil are is hilarious for giant fenced areas. Should be a size limit imposed on enclosure size and not allow two enclosures to be connected to each other (to stop multiple size imposed enclosures from being exploited)

All they would have to do is say you can only have one enclosure and one house count for you enclosure that would end the massive enclosure fences by one player.

As far as faster decay all the time I do not think it need to be sped up unless no one has been in the area recently.

People work hard for skills to make better fences and nerfing their hard work is not the way to go.

Fences that have not had someone walk by them over a certain period of time and/or have reached such a decay that they have been considered neglected I could see have a little more decay.

Ah, and here it is. The true reason. Yet another nerf the enclosure thread. Really gets boring. :unsure: