Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Release Date Set To 12/12/12

If you would simply look at the player level graphs for wild a year ago you will instantly find out you couldn't be more wrong.

You got a 2 year chart? just wanted to see something besides the epic build up and such.

interesting one here what happened in April??? growth happened from jan till apr in settlements.villages-year.png

something about traders maybe? http://forum.wurmonl...hen-disbanding/

Nah that can't be the only reason.

Edited by Protunia

Hmm, a few weeks ago it consistenly had 70+ players online, now its back to 25ish.

Wild rarely had more than 70 players online for the past few years, since most players were on Freedom to grind up their skills....

(talk about being responsible for ones own problems)

Well this isn't true...

wurm-year.png

Average is 45 (over the last year. It's been nearly a year since it's been nuked). Max for last month is 64. (Monthly average is 29, by the way.)

Wild used to peek at over 100 daily. In the months before Epic it had become much more quiet.

Edited by ZarmaZarma

Wild used to peek at over 100 daily. In the months before Epic it had become much more quiet.

wheres the chart before epic?

Well this isn't true...

wurm-year.png

Average is 45 (over the last year. It's been nearly a year since it's been nuked). Max for last month is 64. (Monthly average is 29, by the way.)

A more accurate count would be premium accounts. I would not depend on Playercount since some are alts. And even some premiums on the server are alts.

• Like 1

A more accurate count would be premium accounts. I would not depend on Playercount since some are alts. And even some premiums on the server are alts.

I don't think you quite get the point. Prem is prem whether it's an alt or not. What you're going for is paying members.

paying-year.png

screenshot for posterity

paying-year.png

I think this is a good point, actually. Wild used to be premium only, and even then it would push 100 players.

Definitely looking forward to all the new changes but I'd urge a bit of caution. Particularly if you're going to be heavily advertising. You only get one first impression. December 12th is very near, that leaves essentially no time for testing all these changes.

I'd strongly recommend taking this new server hardware and opening it up as the test server for a 1 to 2 week beta. Let anyone pop over, prem or otherwise and hammer on everything before mapping it to the existing servers. If after that all the worst bugs are hammered out then upgrade all the existing servers, re-task the new server and put the existing test server back. This can double as a stress test for the new server. Set up a day/time for people to log in. It's been quite some time since there were 500+ on one server.

As it stands right now many people can't even log into the test server, that doesn't bode well. If new people try Wurm and either can't log in or crash (either their client or the new server hamster keels over) a big chunk of them will never come back.

Here is Wisdom :)

I doubt that the 1.0 release will actually bring an intensive influx of new, paying, players. Many people will be interested by the game, a sandbox game that looks at least quasi-realistic, boasts an impressive system, with the chance to construct your own forest estate. The problem won't be getting people here, it will be keeping them. Too many will quit because of the incredible amount of patience that a person requires in order to skill up and play the game. WurmOnline is a fairly specific environment you have to be patient (so that you can grind all of the potential achievements), you have to have vision, determination and creativity (so that you can decide what you want to do, make it interesting enough that you want to keep working on it). The Players that you would be able to bring in droves to the game are not the ones that will play the game, sure, one or two may actually play, but for the most part, they would log in, do the tut, build a wooden fence and start on a house, then quit! The people that will play the game, are the ones who are specifically looking for it. WO is a game that passes via word of mouth, and I don't think any new updates will change that.

Whilst reading through the topic, I've noticed that the PvP server population/participation is an active topic. I feel that this one is actually easy to explain. All new players are F2P by default, and thus could only go to the PvE servers on start-up. If they actually decide to purchase premium most of them would rather stay in the area that they started in, seeing as they will have already spent a good amount of time working in the area, and won't want to just give it up. Because of this, a system is generated where few new players join the PvP servers, but the PvE servers begin to increase in population, becoming more important to the income of the game. This phenomena is probably the reason for Wild's attachment to the Freedom Isles, because that way, new players will be able to integrate more effectively with the PvP portion. Now that is but a theory, which may not be correct at the current moment, but could be in following updates.

There are 3-4 PvP servers with F2P that they can spawn too right off the bat.

There are 3-4 PvP servers with F2P that they can spawn too right off the bat.

I believe i thoroughly addressed the "why not just go to epic" argument and why Chaos can currently never be called a full pvp server.

I believe i thoroughly addressed the "why not just go to epic" argument and why Chaos can currently never be called a full pvp server.

From right above you....

I feel that this one is actually easy to explain. All new players are F2P by default, and thus could only go to the PvE servers on start-up.

Just saying it is possible to go to a PvP server before going to freedom or are there not Epic portals in the tutorial??

Edited by Protunia

What if the price you have to pay to have all back that you want back on Chaos is, to go seperate, just like the new PVE server will be seperate (which I find a wonderful experiment, I feel quite confident that it will be a very good choice). What if Chaos, to get back what it desires, simply *needs* to be seperate even just to get the code needed for what you want (this time without ruining the pve-experience by that code)?

How would the chaos-players react to such a choice, if you simply cannot have both (stay inside freedom cluster *and* have the code you desire)?

But thats actually a bit too far off-topic (brought there by chaos-players hammering on 'fix chaos instead or at least NOW' I have to say) - to stay on topic: I think giving a truly new experience with equal settings (except for knowledge, but can't eliminate that) to new players is great, looking forward to how it will develop!

Edited by Kianga

I disagree with everyone who says the new server will not hold on to new players because of how hard the game is. As a matter of fact, I feel exactly the opposite. I am so SICK of "easy button" games. The old days of EQ and UO are all but gone because people want everything RIGHT NOW! There is ZERO sense of accomplishment in mmorpgs anymore because any 12 year old can get to end game in a month or less.

I think it'll be fun to watch people encounter spiders for the first time.. I remember first stepping foot on Freedom with no skills and jumping off a cliff to escape a spider.. only to slide through thorn bushes and die.. :P Was fun.

Attracting the right people is a matter of marketing, the last thing they should do is use clickads for those searching things like wow, warcraft etc they should advertise on classic UO/EQ servers if allowed. They need to polish up an approach like videos from the brothers at http://www.serversaredown.com/ (use them to get people in here) or Beau occasional video on Wurm at Massively.com (that got me here), as showing actual gameplay from the start is what will draw in the right people, though the videos are a cheat since they want short videos they both had skilled toons because watching toons fail is boring, but as long as expectations are set is not a problem. A survey of existing customer base on what brought them in would help tune an ad campaign.

An actual gameplay video approach will turn off the wrong people and attract the right people, rather than attracting the wrong people and the devs then wanting to raise their retention rates by nerfing the game because that will cost them existing players.

Edited by yarnevk

Just saying it is possible to go to a PvP server before going to freedom or are there not Epic portals in the tutorial??

Notice that I said could, past tense. You can go to the other servers now, but the damage has already been done.

I disagree with everyone who says the new server will not hold on to new players because of how hard the game is. As a matter of fact, I feel exactly the opposite. I am so SICK of "easy button" games. The old days of EQ and UO are all but gone because people want everything RIGHT NOW! There is ZERO sense of accomplishment in mmorpgs anymore because any 12 year old can get to end game in a month or less.

I'm fairly sure that I am the only one who thinks it won't work in the way they are expecting, there may be a couple more, but overall the idea is that it's going to work flawlessly (so long as Rolf does his "job") Now I actually do agree with you, and that is why I play WurmOnline, but I also know the other end of the spectrum. I know and have seen countless players who have come to WurmOnline, then turned away shortly after sign-up: can't make anything the game is too hard and timers are too long, are all complaints that I have seen, which turns players away. My point is, even though WO is getting a brand-new jacket and shoes, it's still the same game, and that this game is a game that is very selective in it's audience, very few that visit, will actually stay.

An actual gameplay video approach will turn off the wrong people and attract the right people, rather than attracting the wrong people and the devs then wanting to raise their retention rates by nerfing the game because that will cost them existing players.

I totally agree with you on this topic and statement. The same topic was theorized earlier (somewhere on page two I believe), and said basically the same thing. This is the reason that WO will not get the hoards of players that everyone is expecting, because WO's way of advertising is a bit out the back door. Actual game-play video's will prevent the people who would get discouraged from playing, whereas it would bring in the people that would actually play the game. The population of WurmOnline will surely increase, no doubt or contest about that, but it will do so incrementally over time, and not all at once as the player base is expecting.

What if the price you have to pay to have all back that you want back on Chaos is, to go seperate, just like the new PVE server will be seperate (which I find a wonderful experiment, I feel quite confident that it will be a very good choice). What if Chaos, to get back what it desires, simply *needs* to be seperate even just to get the code needed for what you want (this time without ruining the pve-experience by that code)?

How would the chaos-players react to such a choice, if you simply cannot have both (stay inside freedom cluster *and* have the code you desire)?

But thats actually a bit too far off-topic (brought there by chaos-players hammering on 'fix chaos instead or at least NOW' I have to say) - to stay on topic: I think giving a truly new experience with equal settings (except for knowledge, but can't eliminate that) to new players is great, looking forward to how it will develop!

The decision to make Wild freedom and link it to that cluster in the first place was not one that many Wild players asked for at all you will find. It was Rolf's idea of a way to get players to go to the server. Speaking for myself and my friends on the wild (chaos) server, we would be perfectly happy to have it remain linked or become seperate as long as the server is changed back to allowing players to enjoy their chosen playstyle of pvp and raiding....preferably including kingdoms and Libila but i don't hold my breath for much...

Can we nerf the PVE-PVP topic to its on threads admins, I have other things I want to discuss about the new release, like; are the crafting animations. or will I still be holding a log, but I see no point in trying to carry on that discussion.

Edited by yarnevk

proof? ;-)

Well OK, I guess well know for sure on the 12th, but if it was dead, it would be being buried on the 12th, not released ;)

Well OK, I guess well know for sure on the 12th, but if it was dead, it would be being buried on the 12th, not released ;)

Unless ... it is both dead *and* released ....

ghost-cat-of-okinawa.jpg

(for those who lost track, this is a cat-out-of-the-box side discussion that now appears to confirm Wurm 1.0 will include ... zombiecats .... is it pure coincidence that the IRC greeting now

says "Welcome to the spooky machine" ? I think NOT! Better safe than sorry -- upgrade your locks as

.... Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I would prefer 3/12/12...

or 14/12/12 since it's my birthday on the 11th and I have 2 bits of coursework due that day and 1 on the 14th. :(

Mallaboro, You think that's bad? Try having your birthday 21/12/12...

Be happy, you get to be a year older for a whole ten days, that's like a whole decade!...except in days...

I'll get a couple seconds... If I'm lucky ;)

Do the homework, but don't worry about the mark!

Edited by Smithor

My Birthday is 6/12 >.> i get the internal deadline as a present.

Sign in to follow this