Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Release Date Set To 12/12/12

Google adwords "sandbox medieval mmo" bang. Let them trickle in.

• Like 1

Definitely looking forward to all the new changes but I'd urge a bit of caution. Particularly if you're going to be heavily advertising. You only get one first impression. December 12th is very near, that leaves essentially no time for testing all these changes.

I'd strongly recommend taking this new server hardware and opening it up as the test server for a 1 to 2 week beta. Let anyone pop over, prem or otherwise and hammer on everything before mapping it to the existing servers. If after that all the worst bugs are hammered out then upgrade all the existing servers, re-task the new server and put the existing test server back. This can double as a stress test for the new server. Set up a day/time for people to log in. It's been quite some time since there were 500+ on one server.

As it stands right now many people can't even log into the test server, that doesn't bode well. If new people try Wurm and either can't log in or crash (either their client or the new server hamster keels over) a big chunk of them will never come back.

• Like 2

Congrats to the DEV team for the great work on this game...

Personally I don't agree but I also don't disagree the new server.

We will see how it does and hope for the best. Let's hope for another 500 players.

Total noob server like epic was can be really funny so I recommend also to the old players to have a character on there I will have one there of course.

Edited by Sklo:D

Total noob server like epic was can be really funny so I recommend also to the old players to have a character on there I will have one there of course.

As I've heard. Taking large carts led by horses into battle because not enough BC to ride them yet? I would have wept with laughter to have seen everybody doing that. :lol:

Definitely looking forward to all the new changes but I'd urge a bit of caution. Particularly if you're going to be heavily advertising. You only get one first impression. December 12th is very near, that leaves essentially no time for testing all these changes.

I'd strongly recommend taking this new server hardware and opening it up as the test server for a 1 to 2 week beta. Let anyone pop over, prem or otherwise and hammer on everything before mapping it to the existing servers. If after that all the worst bugs are hammered out then upgrade all the existing servers, re-task the new server and put the existing test server back. This can double as a stress test for the new server. Set up a day/time for people to log in. It's been quite some time since there were 500+ on one server.

As it stands right now many people can't even log into the test server, that doesn't bode well. If new people try Wurm and either can't log in or crash (either their client or the new server hamster keels over) a big chunk of them will never come back.

I agree

Will there maybe away so that already made characters could change over to the new server but all skills are set back to starting. Like how changing from freedom to Epic servers :)

That way players that do want a full fresh start without having to go by another name and coin transfers over as well.

This is awesome! I think I'll give it a shot again at the release! :)

Sadly, I can't convince my friends to play it, because they don't play pay2win/pay4fun games. (While this game is obviously pay2win etc, it has so much more stuff making it worthwhile. meh.)

Anyway, will servers reset upon 1.0? Don't know how you handle this stuff here. Because current maps are kind of.. well hollowed out.

Salem for example won't reset upon release, while most other reset-able games do.

Wurm is hardly pay2win. The only item you can buy to give you an advantage in the shop are coins. The premium time still requires you to play to win.

• Like 3

Will there maybe away so that already made characters could change over to the new server but all skills are set back to starting. Like how changing from freedom to Epic servers :)

That way players that do want a full fresh start without having to go by another name and coin transfers over as well.

That doesn't work if the server will eventually be joined to the others. If they were never going to link that'd be fine.

Well Theres ways they can go about preventing character data mix up and such. Make a dev blog lets say... 2months before joining the server to the freedom cluster that any characters that were transfered over has 7days to diside on staying or going back to the cluster And which end they choose to stay on after those 7days. Is the skill tree the character will keep once the servers linked up.

Not everyone reads the blog or the forums. In fact, in most games, only a minority of players ever read the forums or official website.

Well Theres ways they can go about preventing character data mix up and such. Make a dev blog lets say... 2months before joining the server to the freedom cluster that any characters that were transfered over has 7days to diside on staying or going back to the cluster And which end they choose to stay on after those 7days. Is the skill tree the character will keep once the servers linked up.

That is to much trouble plus this way the game gets a boost in sales that people would normally just pay for with silver.

I am looking forward to the fresh start again even with the knowledge we have it will still be a struggle to get going. Who will cast the first CoC stuff? Who will be the go to guys for weapons? It will be fun to see how it all pans out, lol

Edited by Kegan

so does this mean this was a 8 year beta? If so, man this has to make history!.

Hrm, I'm pretty sure that Dwarf Fortress has been around about the same amount of time, and it's still in what Toady calls Alpha.

The amazing thing is that it's already the most complex game ever created. And he's not even close to finished with the basics of what he wants to do.

Love that we have a release date and i'm sure that we'll be getting some incredible new features with this.

However...

Another new freedom server? are you honestly kidding me? We have literally spent the last YEAR begging for Rolf to fix chaos and give us back our real wild server because tyhere are already 4 PvE servers in the cluster for people to enjoy. Now you want 5 PvE servers and STILL arn't telling us you're going to do anything about chaos? Really?

It should be noted that i sent Rolf a comprehensive email that a number of players on chaos all contributed to with bugs and problems and suggestions for simple fixes he could do to make it playable again >after< he has released 1.0. The only thing i asked of him in this email was that he read it and confirm whether or not he would do something when he could. Nothing more.

The response i got was "Can't talk about it until after 1.0."

• Like 4

Well i hope the server will be the size of inde/chaos. Maybe then i'll go over to explore. I dont like the small maps

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

So the new server will not be hooked to the freedom cluster yet but will epic portals work? That might be a way to get your freedom funds over to the new server.

Edited by Kegan

Another new freedom server? are you honestly kidding me? We have literally spent the last YEAR begging for Rolf to fix chaos and give us back our real wild server because tyhere are already 4 PvE servers in the cluster for people to enjoy. Now you want 5 PvE servers and STILL arn't telling us you're going to do anything about chaos? Really?

I think he's decided to go for a new PvE server because the amount of players on the current PvP server doesn't really call for a new server. With 1.0 there is expected to be an influx of new players, which we have learned over the past that most go to the PvE servers. Currently more people play Wurm for PvE rather than PvP, so it makes more sense that a fresh server for newbies is another PvE server.

I'm sure any fixes for Chaos will be on Rolf's list for after the 1.0 release.

• Like 1

I think he's decided to go for a new PvE server because the amount of players on the current PvP server doesn't really call for a new server. With 1.0 there is expected to be an influx of new players, which we have learned over the past that most go to the PvE servers. Currently more people play Wurm for PvE rather than PvP, so it makes more sense that a fresh server for newbies is another PvE server.

There's a damn good reason there's barely any players on the pvp server...It's barely a pvp server since Rolf changed it all. There are FOUR current PvE servers and one half breed messed up spaghetti coded pvp server with restrictions and one kingdom. What needs doing more, a FIFTH pve server or changes to make the pvp server get back on it's feet after changes that the owner of the game himself made to it made it practically pointless to play on? We've suffered with this crap for over a year.

What you just said is the EXACT statement we were given when Rolf randomly decided to make Celebration!

Edited by Nadroj

I don't believe Nadroj was suggesting that a new PvP server be made. He's simply saying that there's already plenty of (some what scarcely populated) PvE servers, and thus it seems counter intuitive to make another. I think he also means to say that, by making Choas a true PvP server, and addressing the problems put forward by its current player base, it would open new areas of play for people who already exist on the freedom isles. I think Rolf will get around to it eventually. Personally I don't see the point of another Freedom server... especially if we're not going to make the world round, and make it easier to access all of them.

• Like 3

Odd, I dont find a single word about WILD server.

You know that PVP and Wild was what started wurm online, with Notch and Rolf!

Seems Rolf forgotten about us that tested, payed, and played for over 6 years.

Well, lets hope Wild gets a proper fix once and for all.

Epic people, stop trolling, we dont need your fast skillgains, if we did, we would joined Epic ages ago.

• Like 4

I think Rolf was always going to release a new server for 1.0, and I can see why he is doing that for the following reasons:-

-no server crossings means he doesn't have to worry about noob players dieing as they drown trying to cross borders (I still think this is bugged, certainly getting chucked off boats happens all the time)

-no horrible abandoned deeds putting off the newbies

-no experienced players taking over as they all have to start a new character and also won't have high ql items

I am sure there are many more reasons that I haven't thought about.

I just hope he spends some quality time on Chaos once this is done

Odd, I dont find a single word about WILD server.

You know that PVP and Wild was what started wurm online, with Notch and Rolf!

Seems Rolf forgotten about us that tested, payed, and played for over 6 years.

Well, lets hope Wild gets a proper fix once and for all.

Epic people, stop trolling, we dont need your fast skillgains, if we did, we would joined Epic ages ago.

this happens every time anything anywhere happens in wurm outside chaos. We hear this same tired talking point memo about a server that is frankly just a legacy museum. That's all its' ever going to be because it's old as get out and lumbering with mega skilled residents and a sluggish snail paced skill system preventing any real hope of ever attracting a substantial new player infusion due to the pointlessness of joining it new.

• Like 3

Frankly joanavon I think you should show more respect to the long time players on Chaos. They moan the most because they have the most to moan about.

Frankly joanavon I think you should show more respect to the long time players on Chaos. They moan the most because they have the most to moan about.

While you can respect their time they should realize Wurm is evolving into a PvE Dominated Player base game.

And I am sure Rolf will try again and again to make things better, but I have a feeling there will always be those who want what is long since past.

Speaking for myself, I can remember a time not too long ago where every single change was for Wild, and the PvE servers were left in the dust, or had changes forced on them from the wild server - despite having a lot more players.

I'm sure Chaos will get it's updates - but there are some things higher up on the list for the 1.0 release.

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this