Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Describe Your First Moments In Wurm

I think it would be interesting to read brief accounts of player's first moments in Wurm. Here's mine:

I logged on for the first time at a token in a small village. In front of me was a row of wood houses painted blue and a road leading to a tutorial NPC. I remember that walking was not animated - players just floated. I remember at the moment I arrived, I heard someone say, "Hey" but I couldn't find out who was talking or if they were talking to me. The graphics, the lack of animation, and the quirky movement made me think, "This has to be the worst game I have ever downloaded." I stayed about 2 minutes then logged off and uninstalled the game.

I came back to the game a little while later just because I wanted to prove it was as bad as I remembered. But instead of logging off, I decided to at least try doing what the NPC asked. Walking around and hearing the sounds of people working and performing the requested actions of the tutorial drew me into.... Well, the rest is history.

• Like 1

This was a good 4 years ago on an account I don't remember the name of. I don't even know what server I was on, but I was put there by default, and I know there were hostile players and guards. I guess it must've been Wild. It was before or during the time of GV.

I logged on. Ran around. Got lost. Died to a bear. Respawned. Round around. Got lost. Died to a spirit templar. (I saw the glow through the trees and went towards it).

Then I stopped playing for a year and thought I'd give it another go, and woopwoop. Here I am. :3

I'd heard about the game from PCGamer. Being the studious fellow that I am, I followed the NPC tasks and read the wiki where I could, although one of the tasks (I forget which - did we have to forage something successfully?) took me a good long time. After that, I ran around a bit, fell into and VERY nearly died to thorns and of course a bear got me (in the silver mine below GD) at some point.

The first iron lump I made for a small anvil got stolen (big deal when smelting took 45 mins) but Zephyr helped me out there. I had a break for a day or two, then came back and someone showed me the very un populated slope East of Glitterdale between the deed and the Valley Forge Tunnel - along with an iron vein. I settled there and started construction on Varigated Villa which went through 3 overhauls in my time there.

3 months later I was a PA (much wiki reading - dual monitors - and unemplyment meant much game time) :)

• Like 1

My first moments weren't good, I'd been heavily involved in Vanguard SOH and when SOE took over for good in May of '07 I followed a few people over to Wurm. I poked around for a day or so and left, I wish now that I'd stuck it out but oh well. I came back in late 2009 and poked around GV for a month or so.

I decided to make a farm near catfish cove but couldn't find any seeds. Luckily some loony up the road was making a huge tunnel near his Varigated Villa and traded me a bunch of seeds for a ton of mine supports.

After that I decided I really liked Wurm, made a forum account, prem'd up and been here ever since with a few multi-month periods away due to RL demands.

I think it would be interesting to read brief accounts of player's first moments in Wurm.

[15:30:29] Welcome back, Maozorz! The Desert has been waiting for you.

[15:30:34] You enter Mol Rehan.

[15:30:34] You feel the presence of Magranon.

Edited by Maozorz

Luckily some loony up the road was making a huge tunnel near his Varigated Villa and traded me a bunch of seeds for a ton of mine supports.
Buahahahahahahaha! Actually, I didn't make the tunnel, but as I lived at one end, I got fed up of constantly mining out the collapsed tiles, so I reinforced just about all of it (a good couple of hundred tiles...).

I jumped into the game when was looking desperately for sandbox games :o when there was no tutorial and I started in independence at the howl....I was kinda thrown into a bunch of newbie corpses, at the night, totally lost case there was no infromation in any way XD(I always start games that way :P) then I wandered around...trees couldnt be chopped, hills were fallen down. I practically ran in circles for a while before I just chopped a fruit tree somewhere (facepalm)

after a while I stumbled over a highway at the inner sea and thought that people probably didnt settle in the woods on a mountain XD so I started chopping trees on an awful slope but near the coast, until someone found me and has shown me a better place ;) which I transformed alot since then and never left^^ it's Bearshark Reserve now *g

this game just swallowed me I think

I'd heard about the game from PCGamer. Being the studious fellow that I am, I followed the NPC tasks and read the wiki where I could, although one of the tasks (I forget which - did we have to forage something successfully?) took me a good long time. After that, I ran around a bit, fell into and VERY nearly died to thorns and of course a bear got me (in the silver mine below GD) at some point.

The first iron lump I made for a small anvil got stolen (big deal when smelting took 45 mins) but Zephyr helped me out there. I had a break for a day or two, then came back and someone showed me the very un populated slope East of Glitterdale between the deed and the Valley Forge Tunnel - along with an iron vein. I settled there and started construction on Varigated Villa which went through 3 overhauls in my time there.

3 months later I was a PA (much wiki reading - dual monitors - and unemplyment meant much game time) :)

Varigated House was a landmark for me for a while on GV, i was settled northwest of it, so whenever i saw it coming back from trips to the southeast, i knew i was almost home.

My first momments were awkward at best.

Was about 3 years ago, i found the game through my brother, that for a while was looking for a nice sandbox game to play. I was interested too, so one night i joined him here... Did the "quests" from the NPCs (foraging was mad hard back there, since every tile was already picked, and it was a step of the "tutorial").

Before that ensued 5m cringing at the awkward graphs, and the fact it was all "bugged" (cause when it loads you only see water for a sec, then it starts rendering the rest), then that i couldn't zoom out for a 3rd person view...

Did that, then we found a couple of unfinished carts, so we started working on doing them.

Then i went to check the merchants (back then we would start with 20 iron), and i saw A GOLD ORE!! So me being the noob that i was, i assumed it was extremely great, and bought it.

Then, and still on the starter town, we started working on the materials for 2 1x1 houses. Man i was rueing the game, kept complaining about it...

So we finished the planks, nails, and whatnot, put it all on the large cart, locked it, and parked it on the cart park.

Next day (after having looked at the player map for a area we might like, and having to ask for gm help to move the large cart XD) we went on - me swearing i'd only play long enough to help my brother make his house, climbed mountains, found peat and tar, and settled on near the top of the mountain near a tile with a water well (which without knowing how it worked we later tried moving to the center of the enclosure ^_^, which meant a large go around after collapsing a house, and pushing the well back to the original tile -which was outside the enclosure), we started clearing out land, planning and building the place, ended up with 2 houses and a nice enclosure, and i was hooked...

This was the palce after a few months:

461475_211904958930573_1974921651_o.jpg

Well, looking back at my first days in Wurm, here is my story - funny and a wee bit embarrassing :):

It is the day of Tears in week 4 of the starfall of the Leaf in the year of 1017. Young Yaga, totally unexperienced and confused by this new world of Wurm, is trying to find his way from a strange place called Greendog through the dense forest to the northern shore of the freshly born and almost empty island of Deliverance. From time to time he passes one of the very few settlements and notices mysterious translucent shapes, looking like ghost warriors. "Spirit Templars" they are called - but what are they? Avatars of the godlike guardians of peace (aka "GMs" ;))? The ghosts of other players who have been killed? Being all alone in this country, he has nobody to tell him...

And then, in the middle of a threatening forest, trying to avoid the many hostile and deadly creatures roaming the lands, he suddenly hears a voice saying:

[10:30:49] <Spirit templar> I'll take care of Young black wolf!

So, there seems to be someone out there trying to help a poor newbie, after all! What's the polite way to react? Here is what Yaga replies:

[10:31:13] <Yaga> Thanks

Needless to say, he never got an answer from that templar! :D

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

My first moments in wurm?

Fog.

Not just a light fog, a swirling shifting CURTAIN of fog that made NT look like it was a morbid sorta heaven. I spent about 5 minutes walking around and since it was like 4am I said forget this (just after someone informed me the fog could last sometime) and logged.

Checked back the next day.

Best friend woke up, started playing with me.

both of us logged on.

FOG.

Haha, when it finally cleared we had an epic time raiding abandoned villages for their lewtz.

Got in game in the worst kind of pitchblack night I had ever seen in any game, did the tasks and got the 20 iron (riches!), had some red-outlined whitefaced creep called a HOTS whatever that was instructing me from the bushes he was hiding in in the middle of a next night how to convert him to another (my) kingdom, swam across First Light lake to find some nice deserted ruins with strong (20 QL!) walls still up, built my first shack inside them (could build a whole 3x1 by that time), shoved over a forge and an oven from 40 tiles or so distance (took me a few days...) before closing the last wall. Then made gates in the yard-walls (most were gone). Then went out to find copper to make a copy of the gatekeys, got lost and killed somewhere in the mountains around Hots Lake. After a full week searching and never finding corpse or bodypile, I had to give up on my first house (was locked out of course).

Roamed around until I found a nice new spot on the west coast to build a new house. Just as I finished all the planks etc needed to start building, the cart and all planks got stolen right from under my hands by a bunch of 'old' players. Was about to give up in disgust on such a griefing-allowed-game. Enki came to help retrieve the planks and cart, did not succeed in getting hold of the planks (allready used up - if I had been Enki I would have demanded them to saw me new planks on the spot but yeah...). He did at least throw the cart on top of me from up in the sky after finding it... just enough to keep me going and give it another try to build, third time in row making all the ingredients. I made it that time around, made my first homestead, and stayed around - later moving on to the main servers (while never letting go of GV completely, always kept an alt there, still there, which gives me a healthy view of newbie-life all the time while my other characters are raising in the ranks - which I enjoy, without losing sight of also the simple, straightforward, and even attractive 'struggle at the low end' either).

I learned wurm trough facepunch. I remember i was eyeing the thread for a while and didnt try it because it looked like crap. Then i was bored one day and decided to try it. I remember i spawned at new dawn during nighttime. I spoke with some NPCs and did some of their tasks but it was complicated so i started looking for land to make my house. I found a flattish spot right on the perimiter of new dawn with some mine. I raised up a few stone walls and started a fence gate but couldnt finish it because i didnt have nails(back then iron took like hours to heat up). So i logged off for the night. Next day i logged in to have my fences removed because the GMs were expanding new dawn... I also got killed by a cave bug. Then i logged off. I didnt touch it for a few days then logged back and i was suprised that i was still playing after 3 weeks... Now its been 3 years

First moments?...

"Why is it pitch black? Where am I? OW I fell down a hill!.... Oh god a wolf.... I'm drowning! This sucks!" /ragequit

:) Actually I had a lot of those moments before I "got serious" per se and toughed it out, now I'm having a blast on my third attempt at being a Real Manâ„¢.

Appeared at the howl. Ran down to freedom docks. Immediately drowned trying to swim across the inner sea.

for the first 3 days i played wurm (like 9hours a days) i was looking for a place to settle. at the ens of each day i was cursing at the game. because was going in circle in the middle of the map without finding any free spot. the 2nd and 3 days i was wondering why i came back not sure why but something was telling me to try agains to push foward.

finally someone told me about the map on the wiki. i manage to get all the way to the colosus lake found a spot and start building a place of my own. i spend a days digging to flatten a spot on the shore of the lake. the next days the neighbor came online they where not too happy, saying i was too close from them (was true but i was a noob at that time and dint realize that) so after a few hours i decided to move some where else. i found a empty spot this time i ask the people i could find if it was ok if i settle there they give me the green light so i made my first house lived there for about 6 month before moving somewhere else .

I was reading a blog of a friend of mine who wrote about Wurm online and the nice people and fun to be had there, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I went through the tutorial, which wasn't that all that bad back then and arrived in the Howl. I emailed my friend to let her know I was giving it a go, and she sent me a link to a map of Indy and the name of her amazingly friendly village called Silent Hill. With map 'in hand' I proceeded from the Howl, around Crystal Lake, through the Grand Steppe, and over to Mist Lake. It was night time and I saw many interesting creatures, such as the Venerable Starving Troll. I thought, 'oh the poor thing, I'd stop to feed you, but I have no food and have a very long journey', so I emoted a wave instead. He followed me for a bit, but lost interest, luckily for me! I had no idea.. LOL. After a couple of hours of walking I arrived in Silent Hill, and have been there ever since!

Spawn at the Howl. See dead bodies all wearing the same green tunic. Looked like some kind of suicide cult. Try to pick random things up but become informed that would be bad for my karma. Manage to get cotton fairly quickly to make a fishing pole. Eat the fish raw and wonder why they are not filling me up. I need bigger fish I say to myself so I conclude it would be a great idea to swim to that island just over there.

Die.

A nice man gives me a Willow fishing rod. Decide never to swim again. Find a pottery bowl and learn how to make delicious stew. Created a crooked noob shack and leave my cart unattended. My neighbor steals my planks from the cart. Never admits to it but I know he did. We become good friends but he's Polish and I can hardly understand him. We have a great time together and noob it up for awhile filling large barrels with stew. Finally we create a row boat and move to the deed Silent Hill.

Hahahaha..... oh my, I am loving these stories! Keep 'em coming. What a way to usher in Wurm 1.0, thinking about how it all started for each of us!

I log in and 30 minutes into my first day of epic on JKH:

[17:53:47] Ezalor slain by Jerospa Thehunter Stedfast Birdmansback Sinnz Darkfilo Michieldewit

[17:54:26] Hellfang slain by Jerospa Thehunter Stedfast Birdmansback Sinnz Darkfilo Michieldewit

lol I love those stories, in my opinion it's what makes the charme of wurm ;) it actually feels like you can have adventures here ;)

I found the game searching for new experiences in the budding mass-MMO market at the time. I think - I believe - it may have been about 2006-2007! I recall having been heavily influenced by URU: Myst Online, and awaiting full release of their stable servers. And being drawn into A Tale In The Desert deeply. But RL demands pushed those games out of reach for a while ... Then I started playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion for it's open world. Well - one thing lead to another - and I wanted to be in an open world, with other living beings... go figure!

I found Wurm an dpoked around a bit. I can recall the glitchy movements. I met one person who tried to explain what to do but Ias very confused by the idea of crafting, and interracting with the World itself... Fairly new concepts in gaming at the time - as I recall. And after some frustrating experiences - I gave it up for a while. I mean the world really looked rough at that time. Like a cardboard cut out Viking village or something ... it was rough and strange and not at all impressive. But it PROMISED a whole lot which is why I thought I would give it a try. Soon after that first experience, I removed the game and RL demands increased steadily.

I keep an eye on many games, as they develope and age, and sometimes drop out of the market. Wurm was one of those I liked to peek in on from time to time. On one trip back to the website I read about a lot of graphic changes - so I checked it out. But while scouting a place to settle - I got killed by a Player Character, and could never find my body to reclaim my items. Then it happened several more times - so out of frustration I just quit...

I recently came back to Wurm and was happy to hear of all the exciting plans for Wurm 1.0 Release! This time the skill gain and experience have been MUCH better and I plan on sticking it out for a while to come... See you all in world!

I remember the Guide in New Town demanding that I chop down a tree if I wanted her help, only to find out that every tree for 800 or so tiles was behind a crumbly pile of stone wall that a hamster should have been able to get over. Odds of the first new player question in the game being "Which key is for jump?" are pretty high.

Having Zahrkon tell me to eat something if I wanted to be able to do anything, foraging for an hour to find a few berries to put in my bowl, and not realizing I could fuel a fire after it was lit. I had a line of about 25 campfires on the way to the Crossroads, and kept moving my bowl from fire to fire as they burnt out. I don't think it every got past searing. Sigh.

• Like 1

July 2005. I logged in, this was my first MMO and I wasn't sure what to expect, I'd played games alone that I had but this one... had other people! Eek! We had no tutorial, this was the beta before last beta, before Gold 1. I saw a white beam in the sky and playing quested games, I figured I should go there. Back then we had just a few mobs, rats, wild cats, wolves and bears.

On my way I ran into a guy, Geniusz, a really nice Polish fellow. He said, "Hey, I think we can build a nice place here". I told him I knew nothing and I'd need a lot of help. He didn't mind, he took the time to show me everything. We build a place at a small lake by the White Light.

Many, many stories followed, I became BL after about a month or so. I met the Devil's Peak people, pretty scary with (ENEMY) on them. We all looked the same, the Chuck Norris look. :) . There were no caves, we had to build stone walls to reach surface ore.

I became friends with the original Doctorchaos, his daughter Imsodizzy, met Artibaton, Thunderstruck, Swisscheese and lastly Zerobyte. After an incident, I joined them and we founded LO.

Brings a smile to my face remembering a lot of the funny things and adventures we had. Also have to mention Tigga and Deathchic from LO, still friends with all of these people, out of game.

Oh and one more quick story. If I became too injured, I would just /suicide back to Newtown or try to get there to /suicide. One day a man named Barakus asked if I needed a heal. I said sure! He was Fo and did his magic on me. For repayment I'd forage around, sell the things at the Newtown trader and give him the coins. One time he was not on and this lady named Queenie was there, this was an undeeded Avalon area. I asked if she knew him and if she would give him the coppers for me. She did of course, and that's how I got to know the great Oracle and the Queen of Wurm! Aww... :)

I wish I could remember more of my first time. I don't remember the tutorial. I remember finding dragon fang mountain, and someone linked a map in chat. I got eaten a few times, couldn't figure out how to flatten a tile or to make a house and I gave up. Years later I came back and made a much more concerted effort to pay attention, and it was much better.

The second time I picked Exodus. I went south, and found a nice place on the edge of a desert. Eventually I moved on and a long time later I went back to see what it looked like... and the desert was all gone, completely replaced by trees everywhere. amazing how much this place changes over time.

I had just woken up and hopped onto a teamspeak that i use with a bunch of my friends. One of my buddies named Wedgetail was playing Wurm and said that i should give it a try. Knowing that Wurm was a sandbox i was eager to give it a go (i love sandbox games). As i entered the game i sped through the tutorial not paying much attention to it, spent about 30 minutes deciding what server i wanted to go on, then my friend said he was on exodus so i hoped on there. We started wondering around Wurm looking for a place to build. Foraging long the way for food running away from spiders. First thing we tried to do was climb a huge mountain to get to the other side, it did not work out to well. After that we walked above greenbay jumping into beached rowboats wanting to boat around in them. As we continued along a road infested with hostile creatures we heard a "hello, how are you" from behind us. Quite shocked since we have never heard this before we spun around. We see a man named Shuego mounted on a steed holding a huge axe. He tells us to stand back as he kills all of the creatures on the path ahead of us. He then tells us that there is land over on Wolf island. That pretty much sums it up.