Sign in to follow this  
JBlak

Traits Of Dead Father Does Not Appear In Unborn Foal

I bred a horse with fleeter movement with another horse. I then rode the male horse to hunting, and it died due to an unfortunate Dewit incident.

When the female gave birth, the foal only has the mother's traits. Is this a bug? This has also happened to me in another incident involving a lava fiend.

Just putting this out there, sorry if this has already been discussed.

Edit : Ignore my ramblings below ... they are incorrect.

The traits are determined at birth (i.e. When the new animal is created as a database object, or so I've heard) and the database does not keep track of dead animals. So the result you are seeing should be expected. Note that you can use this when cross breading related animals by killing them before the birth, and avoid the inbreeding penalty.

The alternative would be to create an entry in the database for unborn animals, and set the traits at conception.

Edited by Seara

I actually think what happened was bad luck, and that traits are determined at inception not birth. Name is determined at birth, traits at inception. If I recall this was confirmed on either side of a server rollback one time.

It makes sense - there needs to be something in the DB about the inception event since your AH skill affects it hugely, may's well roll the dice then and store an unborn horse.

To the OP: transferring of traits from one parent to a child is likely but not guaranteed. You get a much higher chance if both parents have the same traits, but even then there remains a random element.

I actually think what happened was bad luck, and that traits are determined at inception not birth. Name is determined at birth, traits at inception. If I recall this was confirmed on either side of a server rollback one time.

It makes sense - there needs to be something in the DB about the inception event since your AH skill affects it hugely, may's well roll the dice then and store an unborn horse.

To the OP: transferring of traits from one parent to a child is likely but not guaranteed. You get a much higher chance if both parents have the same traits, but even then there remains a random element.

How it is that killing the parents (after conception of course) removes the in-breeding penalty, or is that just a myth ?

I have never tried killing a parent after conception. I have seen that the traits are a mix of both parents. In the beginning, there were always traits that showed up that neither parent had. Perhaps it was low AH or just how it happens with it is closer to a wild horse or something. Who knows.

How it is that killing the parents (after conception of course) removes the in-breeding penalty, or is that just a myth ?

I think you might be confusing that with killing the grandparents before conception.

When you kill the grandparents, the server has no way to track the heritage and the parents are no longer siblings.

I think you might be confusing that with killing the grandparents before conception.

When you kill the grandparents, the server has no way to track the heritage and the parents are no longer siblings.

You're right ... that was I was thinking of.

I have heard that once a horse dies it is removed from the lineage.

I thought it had to do with the grand parents.

Never heard of someones horse dying and then the breed one losing traits though it could be possible.

Edited by Protunia

It happens I have had horses with only the mother's traits and horses with only the father's traits born as well a mix of the two.

Killing parents or grandparents is just a myth supported by the fact you can breed brother and sister and still get a good horse if your lucky. Someone did that and just happened to kill off old stock at the same time they got lucky IMO.

No you can check, examine a horse, kill the parents and examine again, it no longer got a heritage.

It has to do with how databases store relations. You get a reference to another object. When you remove the object, you also remove the reference and suddenly it reads: "father = none"

And two horses with "father = none" are defined to not be siblings, otherwise all wild horses would be siblings.

No you can check, examine a horse, kill the parents and examine again, it no longer got a heritage.

It has to do with how databases store relations. You get a reference to another object. When you remove the object, you also remove the reference and suddenly it reads: "father = none"

And two horses with "father = none" are defined to not be siblings, otherwise all wild horses would be siblings.

This. though the traits are not changed after conception, the pseudo-status of being "siblings" no longer applies and brother/sister horses can be bred despite sharing the same parentage if those grandparents of the foal no longer exist when conception occurs.

The foals only displays the name of the mother when examined.

Well if Rolf stored dead horses that had living children in the table instead of removing them when they died, he could prevent this little "workaround" we use.

But then he'd need a cleanup job to run weekly or something that identified any dead horse with no living children still in the table. Otherwise over time the table would grow open-ended