View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Jberg, November 29, 2012 - Off Topic
Hidden by Jberg, November 29, 2012 - Off Topic

This thread = lol

View hidden Post

get your forks guys!

LOL. You guys are attacking a dude who has a vision and is working to achieve that...

Great to have a vision, but that's not the same as an inflated ego and trying to smear crap over other people when they find out stuff about you that is simply true.

• Like 1

LOL. You guys are attacking a dude who has a vision and is working to achieve that... [...]

What I personally was "attacking" was an uncalled for and immature response from someone who as a previous PR and marketing professional should have known better. The fact is, he did MMA promoting, an industry that thrives on emotional response ploys like that to garner interest in the event or fighter being marketed. Nothing wrong with this in a proper context.

Unlike on his own forums where he deleted a thread from a user that called into question anything about the development team, or their process (no matter if it was rudely worded or the most politely written piece), his own posts here (as well as yours) remain for others to draw their own ideas/opinions on.

In the gaming industry, development based "circles" are very small and foot-in-mouth cases like this can and usually do come back to haunt you. While I do not have to like someone to support their project, and I do not have to dislike them to tear it apart, based on my own experiences in the gaming industry from QA to Development, the development processes and patterns I'm seeing outlined make me question the long term viability of the team to deliver.

Kickstarter only requires you to provide enough evidence that you can release your product/service, not at what level of completion it, or its content, is at. Once it is funded, he could simply flip the switch and "take the money and run" as long as he delivers on the goals posted. He would have met the funding requirements.

While I truly hope I'm incorrect in this case, any new blood to the MMO scene that promotes the concept as marketable is a bonus. However, based on his responses and behavoir specifically, mine is not money that will be added to his game.

::edit insert::

Before anyone claims otherwise, I'm not suggesting he WILL do this, only that under the rules as they exist, he COULD do it. Also, might want to read the "guidelines" for Kickstarter if you haven't yet.

Under section 02 - Projects Must Fit Kickstarter Categories -> View Design and Technology requirements:

"In addition, Design and Technology projects that are developing new hardware or products must show on their project pages a functional prototype — meaning a prototype that currently does the things a creator says it can do — and detailed information about their experience. Projects developing new hardware or products are also prohibited from using product simulations, photorealistic product renderings, and offering multiple/bulk quantities of the product as a reward."

Also, check out the Community Guidelines lower on the page.

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

I'm new here but I have been on the greedmonger forums for a while and there is a lot of talk about the developers losing 8,000 in pledges because of this thread. Based on my legal background, if he was smart enough to take screenshots of all of this and the losses and comments on his kistarter, you could easily be catching a case for defamation of character, slander and god knows what else. This forum could get wrapped up in it too for allowing you to do that here.

I love greedmonger and have done enough due dilidence to know the guy designing it is legit and happen to be friends with one of the programmers.

Whats fun and games now could be getting you in a lot of trouble soon. Just thought I'd let you know.

Enjoy!

Edited by MaHaBone
  • Like 1

I'm new here but I have been on the greedmonger forums for a while and there is a lot of talk about the developers losing 8,000 in pledges because of this thread. Based on my legal background, if he was smart enough to take screenshots of all of this and the losses and comments on his kistarter, you could easily be catching a case for defamation of character, slander and god knows what else. This forum could get wrapped up in it too for allowing you to do that here.

I love greedmonger and have done enough due dilidence to know the guy designing it is legit and happen to be friends with one of the programmers.

Whats fun and games now could be getting you in a lot of trouble soon. Just thought I'd let you know.

Enjoy!

I should know better.. but love when "possible legal action" comments are used..and since I was the last post, I will assume this is directed mostly in my direction.

First, for defamation.. it has to be knowingly and intentional inaccurate/false with the intent to cause loss in character/revenue/etc... of the person/company/service.

But don't take my word for it:

Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person. - Source

Or if you prefer, yahoo articles (Link)

And one more from http://www.attorneys-usa.com (link)

I explained the logic for my personal comments, with details/reasons for them, based on previous experience with these types of situations. To go further, I never asked or endorsed any removal of funds from the "donations" (which touches on another, MUCH more fun conversation), only that if I personally had donated, I would have done so. To date, I have not been presented with evidence to change this opinion, even when reviewing my comments, the forums you have referenced or the history of the supposed "victim".

Next, your post DOES meet the common requirements for Intimidation: Link

Is also known as legal intimidation, using the threat (or implied threat) of legal action or potential legal action to curb or alter behavoir found to be "undesirable" by the initiator.

To be fair, and if you want to get truly technical, we are all bound by the user agreement, which tends to mean we would be bound by the laws of the server host's governing local. Most countries outside of the U.S. tend to ignore "defamation" charges unless it is seriously large ticket value, but your milage may vary. Inside the U.S., it varies greatly between states.

::edit insert:: As you have proclaimed your support, or to quote, "love" of the product or person in question, you have removed your impartial status in the discussion, thus any legal information should be considered tainted/slanted at best, the same as my own lol ::/edit::

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

You sure showed me! Google is an amazing tool.

I wasn't talking to you anyway Hussars and while I appreciate the legal lesson, I'm pretty certain I have that department covered. I would argue your Google findings but it's just too late. Another time perhaps.

Oh, your claims on intimidation are unfounded as I'm simply an observer of this rediculous fiasco and have no power either way to determine or impose action on either party. I'm simply pointing out that publicly defaming a guy in efforts to hinder financial growth that just made $80,000 he could easily use in legal fees to take action is the dumbest thing I've ever seen someone do.

For as smart as you google lawyers are, you aren't that bright.

Sleepy time.

View hidden Post

This thread is way out of control it should have been locked a long time ago makes everyone involved look bad

Hype. That's what this is about. Most of us long timers are sick of hype with nothing to back it up. We are led down the path of bells and whistles but end up with hustles. I think every one of us want this vision to be real. Someone saying "I can do it!" gets everyone all riled up. If what Brash posted is true then it certainly brings us down out of the clouds and back to Earth. Appleton came here and did a pretty good job, in my opinion, of showing his colors, or lack there of. Smoke and mirrors but nothing to show for it and an admittance of needing outside help to produce the only thing we potential customers have to go on, a video. I do not appreciate being misled by either side, but personal conduct and lack of professionalism causes me to err on the side of caution when it comes to this project. I will be happy to give my money when I see something original and in a working environment.

Edited by Revnik

You can take us to court. Freedom of speech ya putts. Also you are on another games fourms, it can easily be flipped as you attempted to showcase your game off, Also constantly trying to bait us with new fourm accounts. You sir are one very very sad person. It is highly apparent you are new to the gaming world. You got alot to learn as on the net i doesnt matter wth you say, Nobody is harrasing you, Also in a legal court judge would laugh you out of the courtroom as he would simple ask you 1 simple question. Why did you keep going back to those fourms if you wasn't welcomed there? Now, to really get technical, We can pull the Ip's of the new fourm accounts your creating, Then it can be tossed around that your are indeed harrassing us. Though judge would still Laugh. Welcome to internet, And again i shall never play , buy or defend greed monger, This entire thread has displayed what type of person you are. Now please, Buzz off :-)

(P.S. Take me to court i double dare ya!) lmao!

You sure showed me! Google is an amazing tool.

I wasn't talking to you anyway Hussars and while I appreciate the legal lesson, I'm pretty certain I have that department covered. I would argue your Google findings but it's just too late. Another time perhaps.

Oh, your claims on intimidation are unfounded as I'm simply an observer of this rediculous fiasco and have no power either way to determine or impose action on either party. I'm simply pointing out that publicly defaming a guy in efforts to hinder financial growth that just made $80,000 he could easily use in legal fees to take action is the dumbest thing I've ever seen someone do.

For as smart as you google lawyers are, you aren't that bright.

Sleepy time.

As I said, I assumed, based on your post's timing and comments about the removal of funds from the funding drive, it was mostly directed at me.

To clarify my last post, I wasn't directly addressing you in the proper/specifically until I specifically addressed your post as fitting the bill for intimidation. The "lesson" was for those who might not know what defamation truly is, as it is used a great deal (incorrectly or as a means of intimidation) in online forums. So as such, I will apologize for not clarifying that better (or at all in the original post), as my saying "if you prefer" appears to have been taken as a directed comment. The Internet as a medium continues to give me grief in this type of conversation, since we (as humans) tend to be informal in our forum/internet language usage.

As you have claimed legal experience/training/education (not arguing or questioning your background, it's not my business to care about), for those who have not or do not, even if the person making the statement that can be defined as intimidation, has no ability to carry through on it, if it can be reasonably assumed or was implied that they did or could, it would still count.

The links I posted were because I'm honestly too lazy to perform docket referencing for establishment of precedent.

All that said, yeah.. this thread needs to be locked.

• Like 1

Lol nice, how many alts can one guy make in an attempt to look like he has a bunch of supporters!

The bunch of customers he lost is becuase of his own pathetic attitude. Good that he shows his true colours here towards everyday gamers, so people can take it as a fair warning.

• Like 2

Alts or not, it's making things look worse than they already are

watch_out__we_got_a_badass_over_here_by_deadwoodpete83-d504d72.jpg

Lol nice, how many alts can one guy make in an attempt to look like he has a bunch of supporters!

I was about to post something like this so thanks for saving the effort

Anyway from what i can gather this guy James appleton or whoever, seems really overegoistic. I could go into details but i'd better not. Its not even the fact that he doesnt have much to show for his "game" but the fact that he has no programming experience, no nothing in gaming industry whatsoever, he found unity engine 2 months ago and now he is already asking for money to make an over ambitious game that even for experienced programmers would be hard to do. Also the fact that he is asking for 30k which is not going to be enough makes me think that he is asking for 30k on purpose so that more people will give it to him and he just dissapears. Oh and buying facebook likes or whatever(i dont use facebook much) is just sad.

PS: All those people saying this thread needs to be locked please dont. Everyone needs some drama every now and then.

Edited by atazs

Dear Wurmians,

Thank you for saving me $25.

Cheers,

Waffleyone/Wobbles

P.S.: Half of the $25 I'm saving is going to the Wikimedia foundation. The other half will buy me a delicious pie.

• Like 2

The other half will buy me a delicious pie.

I was shopping the other day and saw some pies for sale, pumpkin pies and pecan pies, I couldn't make up my mind so i bought one of both.

• Like 4

View hidden Post

Ewww, pecan. Pumpkin 4life.

AAaaaand I got IP banned for going on their forum and referring to what he said here. Hahahha I've never been surer about not giving anybody my money in my life.

They have a posted policy of removing threads and/or posts (upto account and/or IP banning) that can be considered "structured" or intended to incite flame wars.

Personally and honestly, I agree with this policy lol

As to his previous replies and statements, these are the same mistakes most of the folks new to game development make at some point in their careers, I can't really think of anyone who's sat in the "big chair" that hasn't actually lol. Which was the basis for my first post in the thread.

Also, according to posts on their own forum, Mr. Appleton has acknowledged his lack of, or at least misunderstanding of, being on the point of a game's development and what it would mean in the way of criticism. He has stated in the public facing forums that he now will back away from trying to defend the game in the way he did here.

I have to say, he has truly started to earn the "Dev" tag.

Again, while I will not add my funds to the project as it stands, I do wish him and his team the best of luck. For me, it is not a case of being right or wrong, but rather, a case of furthering a POSITIVE image for MMO's in general and Sand-Box games specifically.

::edits for spelling, no other content changes::

Edited by Hussars

I bet one of you guys made up those accounts to troll... LOL Any proof you didn't? Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

I bet one of you guys made up those accounts to troll... LOL Any proof you didn't? Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

You claim something, you're the one supposed to prove it

Why would we waste our time creating accounts on a separate forum to troll a game that isn't even playable yet? I would much rather stay here comfortably sitting on this forum for a game that is superior to the competitor (lol). I have to 'lol' every time I say competitor because Greed Monger isn't even out yet, much less any functioning playable content been shown yet.

And also, I think you're a fanboy that came from the GM forum to troll us. Kinda funny you'd be accusing us of creating accounts to troll on the forum you reside.

Do you guys understand that the developer of the game is talking about doing a YouTube interview with Markee Dragon over this? He is not the biggest YouTube guy but he does have 30k subscribers best to shut this down before it gets out of hand..IMO

http://www.greedmong...10873#post10873

Edited by Kegan

LOL, bring it on. Can't wait to see this. Hand me the popcorn.

Also, I thought he said he was going to be the bigger man and not focus on bashing "naysayers" anymore. What a liar.

And please don't close this thread. All it will do is open up another one when something else happens (such as the impending interview). Best to keep all the information in one place.

Fourth thought: He's being a total douche talking about Brash saying that her attitude towards Greed Monger is based on her failed experience with creating a game. I don't consider what she did was a failure. It was a learning experience that showed her that she just wasn't quite up to making games and she understood that and shelved the project. She learned more than that also, learning some things about herself in the process. It just irritates the crap out of me when people distort what someone is saying. She was providing an example to Appleton that making games wasn't an easy task and it wasn't something to just take up lightly and run with.

Edited by Laiwyn

[...]Fourth thought: He's being a total [redacted] talking about Brash saying that her attitude towards Greed Monger is based on her failed experience with creating a game[...]

To be fair, the posts against Greed Monger are the same thing. Opinion. Formed by whatever level of research or experiences we may draw on to arrive at that opinion, but still, opinion.

Again, I will say, we should all be trying to improve the image of the market overall. The poo flinging on both sides really needs to be brought down a bit (myself included), so I will try to make this my last post on the thread and the general topic of Mr. Appleton's game.

Once more, best of luck to them, if they can pull it off as described within the budget he has outlined, and are able to maintain an enjoyable user experience, it could well mean a huge change in the MMO landscape in general and funding specifically.